Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Borderlands

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Borderlands

Originally Posted by jdpatri
It makes me feel better because now I'm not compelled to enter a Walmart.
Old 10-20-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
It makes me feel better because now I'm not compelled to enter a Walmart.
or Canada.

Old 10-20-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if it keeps stats like total kills, # of various creature/enemy kills, accuracy with the various weapons, etc?

Thanks
Old 10-20-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gooter
Does anyone know if it keeps stats like total kills, # of various creature/enemy kills, accuracy with the various weapons, etc?

Thanks
Based on this image and closing comments from IGN, I'd assume so. It looks like it keeps a crapload of stats.

Closing Comments
Gearbox's Borderlands is without a doubt a slick, satisfying hybrid title for those who know what to expect. If you're a shooter fan curious what the world of Pandora is all about, then you should know that this is a product built on a foundation of statistical progression, character customization, and one that holds item acquisition high above interesting quest structure and narrative. At the same time, it plays like a shooter, requiring twitch skills to dominate the droves of enemies that stand in between you and your search for a mysterious vault. With the opportunity for up to four to join together for co-operative play, four character classes, a dizzying array of firearms, around 20 or so hours of content for a single playthrough and the option to restart with stronger enemies and loot, there's plenty of content here. It's a thoroughly enjoyable journey that offers a steady stream of rewards that remains convenient and accessible. It's something action role-playing game fans looking for an experience more up-close and brutal than genre entries of the third-person variety should have a blast with, and one of the more memorable products of 2009.

Last edited by jdpatri; 10-20-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked this up at TRU at lunch today. Anybody got any first-hand impressions yet before I crack into it?
Old 10-20-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I picked this up at TRU at lunch today. Anybody got any first-hand impressions yet before I crack into it?
Heh. Heh heh. You said "crack." Heh.
Old 10-20-09, 11:04 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG...were the hell did this game come from..? I mean I read about it for a while, but nothing ever got me excited. I bought the game today, and 4 hours in I am HOOKED. It could get repetitive down the road, but so far it has not. Biggest surprise this year, well that and the fact Batman did not suck. It is hard to explain how much fun I am having. The constant fighting, the upgrades, so on and so on. If you are a FPS fan that also loves RPGs, get this now.
Old 10-20-09, 11:08 PM
gamer for life

And just to add...compared to Fallout 3...this game is not going to have the scope and story of Fallout 3...but the shooting elements are Call of Duty quality, something you did not get in Fallout 3. Think of it as a dumbed down version of fallout 3 on steroids.
Old 10-21-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Granted I haven't played Fallout 3 enough yet to know how it compares, but this is a lot more like Mass Effect with the Action/RPG element proportions reversed. It's fast and frantic, but highly accessible for me (a FPS-tard).

Did you guys check out the list of in game goals/medals? On the mission screen if you hit Y you can see a list of tasks you can fulfill for big bonus XP. Those will take a while to accomplish as I suspect they're tied to the character and not your profile.

I can't wait to try this out with some people. I went with the Siren and it's working out ok.
Old 10-21-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really enjoying it. Played a bunch of single player and did a few hours of a 4 player game. Absolute chaos. It was goddamn insane. A ton of fun though.
Old 10-21-09, 07:13 AM
gamer for life

I was going to compare it to Mass Effect, but the environments and emptiness reminds me more of Fallout 3. While the shooting elements in Mass Effect are stronger than Fallout 3, neither game can compare to Borderlands when it comes to just the shooting elements. Don't get me wrong, I think Mass Effect and Fallout 3 are the best games of this generation, and Borderlands will probably not come close, but it is still one hell of a game.

Also the mission structure plays out more like Fallout 3, where as Mass Effect, especially the main story, really guided you down a more movie like path.
Old 10-21-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I was merely comparing the gameplay ME's action elements, not the overall package.
Old 10-21-09, 07:54 AM

I too am enjoying this a lot. I feel a multiplayer DVDTALK game in the works here..
Old 10-21-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In multiplayer, do you have to have distinct classes or can there be 4 Soldiers running around?
Old 10-21-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
In multiplayer, do you have to have distinct classes or can there be 4 Soldiers running around?
You can have 4 soldiers running around. The really need to fix the servers on this game as my friends list is incomplete and I have 2 people showing up there that haven't been a friend for months. This is the PS3 version.
Old 10-21-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Driving mechanics are atrocious.
Old 10-21-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This game provides an interesting dilemma : I don't need another game right now and between Uncharted 2, MUA2 and next week's Tekken 6, R&C Crack In Time and Forza3, I doubt I'd even have a chance to play much. I'd like to get this game eventually, but from what I read, if I'm not near the same level as those I play with, the game wouldn't be any fun anyway. So it looks like I either have to get the game right away and start playing it frequently or forget it altogether.
Old 10-21-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a level cap of 50 currently. From what I understand you can't even hit 40 on a single playthrough.

Worst case you can play single player for a while to beef up and learn the game. I'm level 12 after like 5 or 6 hours of playing so it wouldn't take much to get there.

Or your friends can easily create new characters to start from scratch with you.
Old 10-21-09, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe experience is shared in multiplayer, so you can also have a group of friends babysit you while you level very quickly.
Old 10-21-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got this as a gift today. Can't wait to crack into it tomorrow.
Old 10-21-09, 11:42 PM
gamer for life

Still having fun with the game. One thing I learned quick is don't take on a mission that is more than 1 level above you... you get smoked quick. Also, the bosses are fun...hard but fun. Just fought one that kicked my ass...I died right when he died, but it kept the kill so that was cool.

Just when the game started to get a little repetitive in the environments and missions, the game takes you inside and it gets exciting again.
Old 10-22-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems to be some bugs in this. 2 days of playing and I've seen 2 crashes and at least 2 times where a quest didn't finish and I had to exit and restart. One being the very first quest, the little bot just stopped working and would do nothing, and another in the arena where i cleared everything. I was t rapped in and had to restart
Old 10-22-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry if its been asked, but I don't go online very much with my 360. How good is this for single player? Are you alone or do you have AI allies? I need to decide between this or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 to tide me over until Dragon Age.
Old 10-22-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Seems to be some bugs in this. 2 days of playing and I've seen 2 crashes and at least 2 times where a quest didn't finish and I had to exit and restart. One being the very first quest, the little bot just stopped working and would do nothing, and another in the arena where i cleared everything. I was t rapped in and had to restart
I've also had a mission that I can't complete because the object you need to get just isn't there. It's on the map, but nothing is there. After I gave up on it last night I got a message from somebody else asking if I was able to complete it becasue they had the same problem.

Hopefully with the game selling as well as it is they will stay on top of this kind of stuff and patch when needed.
Old 10-22-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
I've also had a mission that I can't complete because the object you need to get just isn't there. It's on the map, but nothing is there. After I gave up on it last night I got a message from somebody else asking if I was able to complete it becasue they had the same problem.

Hopefully with the game selling as well as it is they will stay on top of this kind of stuff and patch when needed.
One of the reviews stated that the object location on the map isn't very precise, and he had to start working in ever-widening circles until he stumbled across what he was looking for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.