Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Happy Birthday Dreamcast!

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I can't think of anything other than Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi that really made me care about the Dreamcast.

Sorry, I know that's sacrilege for a gamer like me.
Would definitely have pegged you for a Cannon Spike fan.
Old 09-09-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I remember being blown away by Panzer Dragoon. I can't really remember what else I had on it, but I don't think I kept the system very long.
That was Saturn.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Would definitely have pegged you for a Cannon Spike fan.
Robotron without the ability to actually move and shoot in independent directions? I felt that one single aspect made what could have been an awesome game into a mediocre one. I wouldn't mind seeing it reworked for XBLA with twin-stick support (and obviously the enemy patterns and such being redone to accommodate for this added flexibility in control).
Old 09-09-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This was the first system that I bought on my own. I was working for $6 hour at the time, preordered it through Best Buy and picked it up after school (sophmore in HS). I remember playing NFL 2K and my mom walked in and said that she didn't know the Redskins were playing that day (keep in mind this was 5 PM on a Thursday). I still play the Sega Bass Fishing game with the fishing rod attachment, too much goofy fun.
Old 09-09-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

A nice (long) write-up on the history of our beloved Dreamcast:

http://retro.ign.com/articles/102/1021947p1.html
Old 09-09-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved the Dreamcast, still own mine....though it hasn't been turned on since 02'. I have very fond memories of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 & Resident Evil Code Veronica.
Old 09-09-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I wonder if the Dreamcast would've lasted longer if EA hadn't decided to not make games for it.
Old 09-09-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, my most played games on there were definitely Virtua Tennis 1 and 2.
Old 09-09-09, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The first console I bought on release day. I remember getting the DC, Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger, extra controller and 2 VMUs. Damn fine system.
Old 09-09-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Hooked up my Dreamcast today to play some Sonic Adventure. The game still looks good and has held up well over time.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka1SeGt04fo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka1SeGt04fo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 09-09-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The VMUs died so quickly though. Big disappointment. Still hate the controller, but there were some great games for it.
Old 09-09-09, 06:36 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Hooked up my Dreamcast today to play some Sonic Adventure. The game still looks good and has held up well over time.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka1SeGt04fo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka1SeGt04fo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
I almost shot myself watching that...
Old 09-09-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't Shenmue supposed to have several chapters to it?
Old 09-09-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dreamcast came out when I was in college. It and the Nintendo 64 were THE gaming systems. I can't tell you how many hours my friends and I spent playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Soulcalibur, as well as RPGs like Skies of Arcadia, Record of Lodoss War, and Grandia II.

It's too bad piracy killed it. Software piracy has always existed, obviously, but to me Napster (which was at its height around this period) had a strong effect on the psyche of college students.

Being in college at the time, it's hard for me to think back on the Dreamcast without associating it with rampant piracy. I didn't pirate games, but almost everyone I knew did. These are the same people who had bought a dozen or more Nintendo 64 games.
Old 09-10-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I couldn't even begin to think of how many hours I spent playing Crazy Taxi on the DC.
Old 09-10-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love my DC! Soul Calibur, Chu-Chu Rocket, Puyo Puyon, Shenmue were my favs. I'm actually selling my little dreamcast that could *sniffle* to help fund my move. It saddens me a bit but hopefully it will go to a good home that will play with it more.
Old 09-10-09, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Playstation had more piracy than Dreamcast and that did fine.
Old 09-10-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Playstation had more piracy than Dreamcast and that did fine.
This

If the Dreamcast had a DVD player and more rpg support I think it may have stood a better chance at surviving. I dont think it sold very well over in Japan with the lack of rpgs and not enough support from other publishers.
Old 09-10-09, 01:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I played countless hours of House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter on my DC. Sold it to buy a Nine Inch Nails DVD. Eventually re-bought the system a few years back and had a lot of fun with it but haven't played it since.

I think it needs to be hooked up to the TV in my living room this weekend
Old 09-10-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Playstation needed a mod chip though correct? Dreamcast needed a bootdisk that you could burn off the internet in 2 minutes.
Old 09-10-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
The Playstation needed a mod chip though correct? Dreamcast needed a bootdisk that you could burn off the internet in 2 minutes.
Yup. And half the time you didn't need the bootdisk. Over half of my dorm floor had the entire Dreamcast library on burnt disc.
Old 09-10-09, 03:22 PM

I think it was the lack of 3rd party support that really did the system in, and maybe a unsure public. I know a few of my friends did not want to buy a dreamcast after the fall of the saturn for fear it wouldn't last. Self fullfilling prophecy I guess.
Old 09-10-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...ten years. I picked up my DC in 2000 along with RE: Code Veronica. So many great games. I remember picking up a ton of cheap games in 2001 when they announced they were killing the system off. I should fire the system up for the hell of it.

Now if only my Saturn were still in working order...
Old 09-10-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by squidget
I think it was the lack of 3rd party support that really did the system in, and maybe a unsure public. I know a few of my friends did not want to buy a dreamcast after the fall of the saturn for fear it wouldn't last. Self fullfilling prophecy I guess.
I think it was the lack of support from EA alone more than anything else.
Old 09-10-09, 08:48 PM

Dreamcast was amazing. I remember going to Toys R Us at Midnight. It was my first launch and it was a great one. I ended up getting NFL2k, Soul Caliber and Trickstyle. I would of Got Sonic Adventure, but had rented it at Hollywood Video when you could rent the Dreamcast early, and beat Sonic Adventure then.

But the dreamcast was awesome, playing Chu-Chu Rocket, and PSO online was amazing. I wish Chu Chu Rocket would become a Arcade title on the 360, that was a fun game.

But some of my favorite games ever were on the Dreamcast, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, PSO, Chu Chu rocket, Toy Commander, NFL 2k1, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Power Stone 1 and 2.
Old 09-11-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 7Keys
Wasn't Shenmue supposed to have several chapters to it?
Absolutely.......There was Shenmue on Dreamcast and Shenmue II for the Xbox. All Shenmue fans are still waiting for another release on the current gen systems...hoping for one anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.