Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero: The One and Only Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero: The One and Only Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Guitar Hero: The One and Only Thread

Well, between the backwards compatibility and free Van Halen, I'll probably be picking up GH5 on release day.
Old 08-11-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

Boy...they must not have a lot of faith on either the selling ability of GH5, VH, or both.

This offer almost seems sad in a way.

GH5 seems like a $30 game and VH a $15 one and I am in a hurry for neither. If you have to jump thru hoops to get the free game, I don't think I will even worry with this.

Is the Beatles:RB release that scary???
Old 08-11-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Is the Beatles:RB release that scary???
There is a advertising juggernaut behind the Beatles game going on right now, so I'm sure it's a little scary. But scary enough to just give away a game that's not even out yet? Even I don't understand that logic. Drop GH5 to $50. Drop GH:VH to $40. That'll get you some free press AND make you more money.

I'd have no disbelief if it was GH:Metallica being given away for free. That almost makes perfect sense.
Old 08-11-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
There is a advertising juggernaut behind the Beatles game going on right now, so I'm sure it's a little scary. But scary enough to just give away a game that's not even out yet? Even I don't understand that logic. Drop GH5 to $50. Drop GH:VH to $40. That'll get you some free press AND make you more money.

I'd have no disbelief if it was GH:Metallica being given away for free. That almost makes perfect sense.
Completely agree.
Old 08-11-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We followed up with the publisher to find out exactly how the process works, as it had been referred to as both "importing" and "downloading" on an initial info sheet. The short answer: you'll be downloading new versions of your old songs. "Within the Guitar Hero 5 song import menu, gamers will key in their unique ID from the manual of the previous game, pay a small re-licensing fee and then be given access to download the available songs (like DLC) in a big batch," we were told this morning. That's for PS3 and 360; with the Wii version, the songs can be downloaded on a track-by-track basis.

"This is done to bring these songs up to date with enhanced Guitar Hero 5 features like band moments, expert+ drumming (new for World Tour songs) and the new vocal star power. The game reacts to these songs as though they were DLC and are available in the same play modes," Activision explained.

So, you just need the manual (and a decent internet connection). Unfortunately, this means that some second-hand copies of GHWT and Smash Hits can't be used for the process, as they'll either be missing the original game manual, or their previous owner already redeemed the 20-digit code. "These codes can be used only once," a PR rep revealed. "However, once you have downloaded the content, you are free to re-download it at anytime at no extra cost, if you need to make more hard drive or SD [card] space."
More clarification ...
Old 08-11-09, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were Eddie I'd be pissed at that promotion. That said, between the imports and the offer, I'll buy GH5.
Old 08-11-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kelkee
More clarification ...
That's going to take a little while on the 360 to download, and an eternity to download on the PS3.
Old 08-11-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's going to take a little while on the 360 to download, and an eternity to download on the PS3.
careful, the bias police are watching.
Old 08-11-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That said, between the imports and the offer, I'll buy GH5.
Me too. I love that the offer ends on Halloween--so I can buy GH5 during the annual TRU B2G1 sale in October.

(Now I just need to figure out what two other $60 titles to pick up with it.)
Old 08-11-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit.

And don't forget...once you download everything for the PS3, you then have to wait even more to do the actual install.
Old 08-11-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well crap... I wasn't interested in GH5 or GH:VH until this deal. Oh well, I've got plenty of Gamestop credit to use.

BTW, Gamestop gives you two free songs for pre-ordering.
Old 08-11-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MWB
Me too. I love that the offer ends on Halloween--so I can buy GH5 during the annual TRU B2G1 sale in October.

(Now I just need to figure out what two other $60 titles to pick up with it.)
Catch is you have to purchase GH5 before 10/1/09 to qualify for the offer. The form has to be received by 10/31/09. Sorry to burst the bubble.
Old 08-11-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Catch is you have to purchase GH5 before 10/1/09 to qualify for the offer. The form has to be received by 10/31/09. Sorry to burst the bubble.
Ratfarts!

(Oh, who am I kidding? Still a good deal. I'm still in, anyway.)
Old 08-11-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

If you preorder from Amazon, they are currently offering a $10 gift credit towards any other video game purchase, a $5 credit to the mp3 store and a $5 credit to purchase songs featured in Guitar Hero 5 from the mp3 store. Between all that, the ECA discount and getting Van Halen for free, I went ahead and pre-ordered today.
Old 08-12-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Remember those high-capacity SD cards Nintendo chatted about briefly at GDC this year? They're here, and so is SD streaming. Kiss your mass storage issues goodbye. Guitar Hero 5 will kick of high-capacity cards and SD streaming, and Nintendo is backing the technology for anyone to use thereafter.

The Guitar Hero Music Store is going through some big changes this year, and for Wii owners it's something truly special. The list of changes and tweaks is gigantic, so rather than beating around the bush I'll just get right into it. First off, the new "News" section of Guitar Hero's main menu (literally just a fret press away when on the title screen) gives quick updates as to any new content in the GH Store. Since the Wii version of Guitar Hero 5 is always connected – more like a 360 game than a typical Wii offering as far as online infrastructure – the news page is always updated with the latest goings-on around GH5. Simply click it and you can see the latest updates. Nice.

When hitting up the store itself you'll see some huge changes. Gone is the limitation of "single track only" downloads. Full albums, track packs, and single songs can be purchased all at once on the store and will be priced accordingly with what you'd find on the other consoles. The track and album interface is pretty unique though. Say you are looking at a Smashing Pumpkins set for example. You could theoretically buy the full album or track pack (whatever Activision had available) with a single click, or you could click into the folder and see all the available tracks within that package. One touch will let you preview the song, so you can go one by one and decide what tracks you truly dig. If you like them all, go back to the full package and buy them in bulk. If you only dig a few, simply buy the single songs from within that folder and you're good to go. I've seen it in action, and it's both slick and intuitive. Along with each song and pack you also get the album art, and part-specific intensity readings so you can tell just how tough the song will be once you get it on your system.

As a nice addition to it all you can set a whole slew of songs to download as long as you hang out in the store while it runs. If you want to DL a list of 20 songs, simply select the purchases you want to make, set them all to download in a row, and let it run automatically. If you pause in the middle, turn off your system, or decide you want to quick waiting and go play a few songs for a while the available tracks will simply sit in your active downloads section and let you come back to finish them off later. This can also be used for songs you may have purchased and deleted.

Here's where things get really good for Wii owners. As I mentioned High-Capacity SD is now supported, with 32 gig cards already on the market and pretty cheap considering the amount of space you're getting. A quick search on google got me a 32 gig SD card for around $60, and if you need to go cheaper than that you can find 16's for half the price. The reason you'll want a new SD card is pretty simple; SD streaming will kick off with GH5. All the tricks used for both Guitar Hero and Rock Band in the past – leaving internal memory open– is gone. Instead, straight-up booting off the SD card is available, and that means easier downloads, larger expansions, and quicker loads when bringing in song data from the SD card into GH5.

Oh, and for those curious about what 32 gigs will truly get you, Activision has estimated that over 800+ songs can fit in that space, including stronger audio quality, all the note data, album art, any mo-cap triggers or song-specific displays, and the like. 800 songs is a whole lot of game…

Spoiled for size.
Old 08-12-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I don't see anywhere that it says you have to purchase by 10/1/09.
http://hub.guitarhero.com/vanhalengameoffer/
Old 08-13-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the songs from GH:WT will be treated like DLC, right? So they're not going to be included in any kind of career mode? What exactly is the point of doing the export/download then? So you can get rid of your GH:WT disc?
Old 08-13-09, 09:14 AM

So the songs from GH:WT will be treated like DLC, right? So they're not going to be included in any kind of career mode? What exactly is the point of doing the export/download then? So you can get rid of your GH:WT disc?
So when you have your friends over to rock out, you will have more song choices.
Old 08-13-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have the link, but somewhere they mentioned that DLC would be usable in all play modes including career.
Old 08-13-09, 11:00 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some Free tracks are up for Gold Members.

"Nothing All The Time" by H is Orange
"The Silence Is Deafening" by Awaken
"I'll Never Know" by Hundred Reasons

Market Place Link
Old 08-13-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mok
Some Free tracks are up for Gold Members.

"Nothing All The Time" by H is Orange
"The Silence Is Deafening" by Awaken
"I'll Never Know" by Hundred Reasons

Market Place Link
Thanks. Never heard of any of them, but they are free
Old 08-15-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to wager that 4 of the 6 songs that aren't transferrable are the Wings tracks (1 on disc, 3 DLC). Just a hunch.

Would you say that the forums here are any kind of indication, even just a sliver, of the public's level of interest in GH5? I mean the Beatles Rock Band thread is over 800 posts, and the GH one is around 120. Is everyone just still playing GH:WT instead of posting?
Old 08-15-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd wager a guess as to what tracks won't export..

The Tool tracks - It's in their contract that their songs have to be played on a special stage.

The Hendrix track(s) - I believe the Hendrix tracks can only be played with the Hendrix avatar on guitar. So, unless they carry that asset over, those songs aren't going to be compatible.
Old 08-15-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'd wager a guess as to what tracks won't export..

The Tool tracks - It's in their contract that their songs have to be played on a special stage.

The Hendrix track(s) - I believe the Hendrix tracks can only be played with the Hendrix avatar on guitar. So, unless they carry that asset over, those songs aren't going to be compatible.
That is my bet as well...and even though I do love the Hendrix tracks, I can live with this to get rid of the disc and finally export.
Old 08-15-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But there are 6 Hendrix DLC songs and only 3 DLC songs won't transfer. Besides, carrying over the Hendrix model and animations would be nothing in the grand scheme.

Tool and Wings make sense for on-disc songs to stay behind. Wings even moreso with the DLC consideration. But it still might just be any random 3 DLC songs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.