Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero: The One and Only Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Guitar Hero: The One and Only Thread

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Maybe you haven't been following. But stars are coming to RB with a patch that should release either this month or next. They wanted to put this patch out earlier this year to address some small things (stars, Lips mics, etc.), but with RBN being developed, they decided to hold off an do one big patch instead. One of the reasons that companies try to stockpile things into large patches is because MS (don't know about Sony) charge after the first patch. It makes sense, as MS people have to go back through an re-certify the game to make sure the patch didn't break anything, and that could take quite a few man-hours.
The patch has been in the works for awhile...I will believe it when it fixes the issue that has plagued the game since release well over a year ago. There is not a reasonable excuse you can give me for something that should have not been left out in the first...or should have been patched immediately...not well more than a year after the fact. Call of Duty's and other such games patch all the time. Any other reason to not patch is ignorance, lazy, or just a dumb excuse.
Old 08-08-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Stars, stars, and stars. It is a HUGE replayability issue for me. My only issue with the GH series, other than a few terrible charts, has been a collection of cases. This remedies the situation in part while RB has still sat on their hands with a huge, glaring problem with their game that they are well aware of and have chosen not to fix...Stars has been backbone of the game since GH 1. To omit and not address it is nonsense.
This has nothing to do with replayability for me. I could care less about stars. I'm all about the music and whether or not I feel like singing that song.
Old 08-08-09, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
This has nothing to do with replayability for me. I could care less about stars. I'm all about the music and whether or not I feel like singing that song.
Same here. I mean sure, I'd like to have stars in Rock Band, but in no way does it hurt the game's playability or quality. To me, Guitar Hero has much worse problems to fix, and this news is definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 08-08-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
That is good for you...but the vocal majority wants stars. It is the single most asked for addition on any rock band forum. Elite players have to have stars...
Old 08-08-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We all want stars. The level to which we think the game is broken due to them, or the level of laziness we thinks infests Harmonix for not whipping out a patch may differ from person to person. At the end of the day, if stars made or broke the game for everyone, this would be the only music game thread here.
Old 08-08-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the stars thing is a non-issue for me, but then again I play the game more for shits and giggles than for high scores. The only time I care about that is when competing with friends on the leaderboards.
Old 08-08-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUdXhhDDnaY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUdXhhDDnaY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-09-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any Guitar Hero 5 buzz yet?
Old 08-09-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Is there any Guitar Hero 5 buzz yet?
I think you just answered your own question. It's less than a month away.

The one good thing is that they officially announced exports from GH:WT and GH:SH.. However, they had to modify that with "some of the songs", and at a charge (not known yet).

mod edit: We're all aware of your feelings towards the GH franchise. And because of that, when you post things like you did in here, it's comes off way the wrong way.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 08-10-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I mean the exports will be nice and some of the multiplayer features sound like a blast, but I can't believe they're not trying to hype the hell out of this to defeat The Beatles Rock Band. Have they diluted their product so badly now that no one gets excited for a legit Guitar Hero sequel?
Old 08-10-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Have they diluted their product so badly now that no one gets excited for a legit Guitar Hero sequel?
It's hard for me to get excited after how lackluster GH:WT was, but really, this sounds like fundamentally the same game with some new multiplayer options and another batch of songs. The tracklist looks okay but doesn't have much to really thrill me, and with as quickly as the prices on GH games plummet, I don't mind waiting a few months to pick it up for $19.99. (I'd rather pick up DLC so I can choose what I want than spend $60 on a huge stack of songs if I'm only really into a tiny percentage of them anyway.)

I'm much, much more closely eyeing the Van Halen game than I am the "real" sequel. I guess I'm looking at Rock Band 2 as my general platform and DLC and the artist-centric games to supplement that.

I hope Harmonix looks at the seemingly tepid response to GH5 as it's designing Rock Band 3.

I'm hoping GH5 will let me use the Rock Band 2 kit with cymbals. On GH:WT on the PS3, whacking the the cymbals give a "controller unplugged" error. It doesn't do that on the Xbox 360, though, so it's another in a long list of reasons why I regret buying all these games for the PS3...
Old 08-10-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
If that is what we heard at E3, "not anytime soon", then it would jive with what Shag's saying about one big patch with RBN. That could effectively turn RB2 into RB3, especially if LEGO exports proper-like.
This patch would be for 360 only then since RBN is only coming to 360 first.

This is not good news at all. If they do decide to do this then they have once again screwed all Wii owners since the Wii cannot be patched.

The stars I really dont care about. But if RBN is going to be a patched update .. well then. Wii owners will have a long wait till RB3.
Old 08-10-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 360 patch would only be for an in-game RBN store. It's certainly possible that RBN could be treated as regular DLC. But you also have to look at Nintendo's rules for DLC content. They're very strict about what is offered. Simple things like the Wii can't get pack discounts because a pack would contain other DLC offered as singles.

Even if the stars come or don't come, the other big update the 360 users are wanting is support of the wireless microphones, which would be moot on the Wii anyway.
Old 08-10-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grrr... Though I can't say I blame them.

Yes, Guitar Hero 5 is getting all modern-like and letting those who buy it -- and own other GH games -- access all those songs they already bought (on disc or in DLC form) without firing up another title. GH5 and the upcoming Band Hero will work with songs from the Guitar Hero World Tour and Guitar Hero Smash Hits game discs, along with GHWT DLC -- even on Wii.

PS3 and Xbox 360 owners who own GHWT will be able to download a free update from within GH5 that enables DLC backwards-compatibility (for 152 of 158 available tracks) and adds new GH5-specific features to their existing DLC. In order to rip the tracks from GHWT and SH discs will need to purchase what Activision says will be a "nominal re-licensing fee" and have the unique 20-digit code on the back of the games' manuals. As with Rock Band 2, all songs from the discs will be ripped to the systems' hard disks, but unwanted tracks can be individually deleted.

The process will be similar on Wii, with a couple noteworthy differences. First, DLC must be re-downloaded (to add new GH5 features, plus they'll sound better) either en mass or track-by-track to the Wii's internal memory or (thankfully) SD card. There'll also be an individual song copy option for importing disc-based songs from GHWT. Now to find out what those six DLC tracks that aren't supported are ...
Old 08-10-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The six tracks are the Hendrix ones probably.

Also I see there will be no band kit for GH5. Guess what you have to buy in order to get a band kit? That's right ... Band Hero. So if you want the new drum kit now you have to get Band Hero. Or wait 3-6 months until you can buy them separately.
Old 08-10-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Are there that many people clamoring for yet another drum kit though? Tying it in with Band Hero makes more sense as it will be marketed towards a crowd that may not have jumped into the music game fray.
Old 08-10-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are there that many people clamoring for yet another drum kit though? Tying it in with Band Hero makes more sense as it will be marketed towards a crowd that may not have jumped into the music game fray.
I don't want another drum kit. But mine is failing. Its out of warranty. I've had to fix it twice now.

So I can either keep fixing it.
Buy a WT kit.
Buy a BH kit.
Wait for the separate kits to be sold.

Tying it in with BH makes good business sense, but having to wait 3-6 months is a pain for existing GH drummers.
Old 08-10-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pick up one of the $30 RB1 kits in the meantime. Hell, there was someone on here looking to get rid of one.
Old 08-11-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the moment I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

If the 360 price cuts later this year and even if it doesn't I'm looking to get one early next year.

I may just keep all my GH stuff on Wii at this point since you need the original manual codes to import. If I went to the 360 for everything GH then Id have to re-buy everything GH. Games, instruments, the whole shebang.

Unless they announce RB3 soon then that may change my mind yet again. I'd just sell off all the Wii GH games and instruments, buy the RB3 kit and then re-buy GH stuff later.

Yeah, I'm frugal.
Old 08-11-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Courtesy of NeoGaf via CAG, buy Guitar Hero 5 and get GH: Van Halen for free by mail. Offer details.

Offer expires 10/31 and says to allow up to 6 weeks for delivery. Glancing at the calendar reveals that you might get Van Halen prior to it's actual release.
Old 08-11-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would be a great deal IF you could export VH.
Old 08-11-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Courtesy of NeoGaf via CAG, buy Guitar Hero 5 and get GH: Van Halen for free by mail. Offer details.

Offer expires 10/31 and says to allow up to 6 weeks for delivery. Glancing at the calendar reveals that you might get Van Halen prior to it's actual release.
I might do that. Seems absolutely retarded for Activision to give away a game that's not even out yet...
Old 08-11-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ That site looks a little shady to me.
Old 08-11-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might do that. Seems absolutely retarded for Activision to give away a game that's not even out yet...
I'm sure they'll spin the PR to say that GH:VH is the fastest "selling" GH title to date!
Old 08-11-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ That site looks a little shady to me.
It's guitarhero.com and it merely redirects to Gamestop.com. The offer is valid at any retail outlet. The manual will have a code in it that you can submit online (or snail mail) to get your free copy.

I'm not sure how there's anything shady going on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.