Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rarest, Most Valuable Video Games: which do/did you have?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Rarest, Most Valuable Video Games: which do/did you have?

Old 05-05-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The Rarest, Most Valuable Video Games: which do/did you have?

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I swear I have the worst luck. After seeing the high dollar demand for PS1 RPGS a few weeks back, I collected all the PS2 RPGS, and not a dang one of em is worth anything. lol
Which ps2 rpgs do you have? There are some I've been trying to get for some time.
Old 05-05-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Neo-Geo AES system and about 40 games up until 5 years ago. Sold it all and bought a car.
Old 05-05-09, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Dreamcast: Sonic Adventure LE

Had multiple copies sold anywhere for $100 - $500. Good times.
Old 05-05-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Games listed in the articles that I have:

SNES: Chrono Trigger. I paid $53 on eBay for it; game only.

N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Tooie, Super Mario 64.

GameCube: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest.
Old 05-06-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Also... I've got all the Phoenix Wright games (which reminds me, I need to pick up Apollo Justice), which are out of print and also the import version of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (On which Elite Beat Agents was based) that seems to be going up in price.
I've got the sequel, Ouendan 2 (or whatever the full name is), still unopened. Picked it up for roughly $20 Cdn. I wonder if it is appreciating as well ...

Come to think of it, I have a couple more import PSP music/rhythm titles: Taiko Drum Master 2 and DJ Max Fever 2. All still unopened.
Old 05-06-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Which ps2 rpgs do you have? There are some I've been trying to get for some time.
I got Suikoden 3 and 4
Dark Cloud 2
Shadow Hearts games
Magna Carta
Tales of Legendia
Radiata Stories
La Pucella Tactics
Growlanser Generations
Ico
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean
Shining Force Neo
Persona 3
Dragon Quest
Atelier Iris

Just to name a few, but they are all pretty much worthless. Maybe in another 5 years. I think during that period, there was just JRPG overload, and the demand dropped.
Old 05-09-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've kept a few gems that are personally valuable to me. Not sure about market value or rarity though.

NES:
Super Dodge Ball
River City Ransom
NES Laserline GPX5000 Storage Unit(mint!)
Mighty Final Fight

SNES:
Xband Modem w/Box

Arcade:
Neo Geo MVS Mini Japanese Cabinet(Bust a Move 2, Garou, DodgeBall, Prehistoric Isle)
Official Capcom Imress Japanese Arcade Cabinet w/Street Fighter Anniversary Edition CPS 2 Board(official release)
Old 05-09-09, 02:06 AM

Darkwing Duck on the NES new and Sealed.
Old 05-09-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My girlfriend went to E4All, and there was a guy there selling rare games. She called to ask me if there was anything I was looking for on import Saturn. I asked her to see if they had Street Fighter alpha 3. She said she'd call back later and went to look. An hour later I got a text from her with this as the image..

below the image read..."because I love you"

I don't measure love in material possession, and I don't believe love can be bought. But with that simple gesture I was moved to tears. I'll never sell it, even if we aren't together years from now.
Old 05-09-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great game too
Old 05-11-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nes:

None but could have sworn I have Dragon warrior IV I have I,II,III right next to me

Snes:

Crono Trigger
Star Fox
Secret of Mana
Mega Man 7
Final Fantasy 3

Though I still plan on buying Megaman, Earthbound, And Mario RPG to complete my awesome Snes RPG collection

N64:

Conker
Smash Bros
Paper Mario

Last edited by Dash; 05-11-09 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

NES:
Rc Pro Am 2

SNES:
Earthbound
ChronoTrigger
Super Mario RPG
Secret of Mana
final Fantasy 3

Genesis
Toe Jam and Earl
Moonwalker

PS1
Suikoden 1&2
Lunar 1&2
Final fantasy 7
Einhander
Xenogears
Symphony of the Night
Old 05-11-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Toe Jam and Earl and I don't get how it could be a rare game; they made a sequel to it.

Did have a ton of the Tengen NES games, I thought those were rare.
Old 06-25-09, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet there is a spike in this one soon:

Old 06-25-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gaming didn't start with the NES...I have a lot of stuff older than that.
Old 06-29-09, 12:43 PM

I have a nice PSX collection that I worked hard to build (some costed me a fortune). Quick list of sample:

Final Fantasy VIII (Non-Greatest Hits)
Legend of Legaia
Tales of Destiny I & II
Parasite Eve I & II
Suikoden 1 & II
Chrono Cross (Non-Greatest Hits)
Grandia

Can't think of anymore right now.
Old 04-07-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Hey guys, I'm aware I'm bumping a pretty old thread, but I had a questoin that I wasn't sure was deserving of it's own thread. I'm currently in process of selling off a bunch of stuff that I don't think I'll ever use, and I came across a sealed, black label copy of Xenogears. My concern is that it may have been repackaged at some point. If I'm remembering correctly, I think I bought if off ebay a million years ago, so I'm thinking that could be possible.

Is there any way I can find out how it was originally packaged? I'm accustomed to most modern games having the folded corner plastic wrap, and occassionaly games come shrinkwrapped. When they are shrinkwrapped, I'm used to the wrap being very soft, loose fitting and easy to rip off.

This game is shrinkwrapped, but it is wrapped very tightly and the plastic feels very hard compared to what I'm used to with a shrinkwrapped game.

I do have one other sealed PS1 game to compare it to, and it is Dragon Warrior VII (which seems to also be selling for quite a bit of money on Amazon), but that game has the folded corner packaging that I am used to, and it also has a security sticker along the top (I can't remember if this is something that was standard or not).

It also has a crack in the back of the case and it sounds like there's a floater in there as well. So there's that.

Anways, I'm just looking for some opinions on whether or not you think it's been repackaged, and if it's worth trying to sell. I just don't want to sell something as new and then get accused of trying to rip someone off.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I should've tried this first, but I found a picture of a new/sealed one on ebay and it has the y-fold packaging and a security sticker. So I'm guessing that means this is a re-pack. Oh well. Guess there's no harm in opening it then.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 04-07-11 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Hey guys, I'm aware I'm bumping a pretty old thread, but I had a questoin that I wasn't sure was deserving of it's own thread. I'm currently in process of selling off a bunch of stuff that I don't think I'll ever use, and I came across a sealed, black label copy of Xenogears. My concern is that it may have been repackaged at some point. If I'm remembering correctly, I think I bought if off ebay a million years ago, so I'm thinking that could be possible.

Is there any way I can find out how it was originally packaged? I'm accustomed to most modern games having the folded corner plastic wrap, and occassionaly games come shrinkwrapped. When they are shrinkwrapped, I'm used to the wrap being very soft, loose fitting and easy to rip off.

This game is shrinkwrapped, but it is wrapped very tightly and the plastic feels very hard compared to what I'm used to with a shrinkwrapped game.

I do have one other sealed PS1 game to compare it to, and it is Dragon Warrior VII (which seems to also be selling for quite a bit of money on Amazon), but that game has the folded corner packaging that I am used to, and it also has a security sticker along the top (I can't remember if this is something that was standard or not).

It also has a crack in the back of the case and it sounds like there's a floater in there as well. So there's that.

Anways, I'm just looking for some opinions on whether or not you think it's been repackaged, and if it's worth trying to sell. I just don't want to sell something as new and then get accused of trying to rip someone off.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I should've tried this first, but I found a picture of a new/sealed one on ebay and it has the y-fold packaging and a security sticker. So I'm guessing that means this is a re-pack. Oh well. Guess there's no harm in opening it then.
Sadly it's probably not worth as much as it used to be since it's on PSN now. FFVII dropped quite a bit when it hit psn too if I recall.
Old 04-08-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have:

PS1
Final Fantasy VII (black-label)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (black-label)

N64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (gold edition)
Paper Mario
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario 64

Gamecube
Eternal Darkness
Old 04-08-11, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Sadly it's probably not worth as much as it used to be since it's on PSN now. FFVII dropped quite a bit when it hit psn too if I recall.
I don't know how much people were paying for before, but the auction I looked at which closed 3 days ago, someone paid 199.00 for it. So I guess there are still collectors who will pay for physical media. I was aware that it's on PSN, and that's another reason it would make it easy for me to sell.
Old 04-08-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Reading back on this thread it’s crazy how many of these games I’ve owned over time and sold once the newer generation systems came out. I guess it’s for the best though since there is no way I could find time to play them anymore and they would be sitting around collecting dust.

I guess the only real “limited” game I have now is the original Bioshock for 360 that came with the statue. Also all of the Resident Evil games on Gamecube, but I’m sure those won’t be worth much when the HD versions come out later on.
Old 04-08-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Obi Wan the Security sticker along the top is pretty much standard with all the games that came in a jewel case - even the double jewel case that the Black label Xenogears came in. You may have one that is repackaged.
I've been selling off a few of my old PS1 games lately for a nice profit lately - mostly black label stuff. Collectors love them. sold FFVIII with the guide, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Spider-Man (Also sold my Tron DVD for $95 around the time Tron Legacy came out) . I still have Bust A Groove, FFVII, FFIX game and guide, original Resident Evils and the Metal Gears
Old 04-08-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My advise is if you have rare video games, sell em asap. These PSN and HD remakes will cause the value to bottom out. Ico, for example, now goes for 20 bucks used. After seeing the hot market for PS1 JRPGS, I gobbled up all the PS2 JRPGS I could find. Just my luck that none of them went up in value except Shadow Hearts. Video games as investment is a really bad idea.
Old 04-08-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Too bad Atari games aren't in hot demand. My dad still has a box full of 50+ of those bad boys from when I was a kid... No Custer's Revenge though
Old 04-08-11, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cruzness
@ Obi Wan the Security sticker along the top is pretty much standard with all the games that came in a jewel case - even the double jewel case that the Black label Xenogears came in. You may have one that is repackaged.

That's what I figured. I will probably open it, make sure the contents are in good condition and take care of the floater before I do anything else. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.