Old 03-13-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

BASIC INFO:

Tuesday nights 7:00 through ~11:00 CST

Server Name: DVDTALK
Password: forum
DLC packs: We usually play with all three. If you are new and want to try the game before buying the DLC, please post, and we'll run non-DLC maps.

TO JUMP IN:

Send me (frizby) a friend invite.
When you get in the game, go ONLINE
Go the the COMMUNITY tab
Go to the BUDDIES tab
Find frizby, join my game and enter password (forum)

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:

This game is not intended to be competitive. It should be a low threat learning environment, and I will moderate it as such. People coming in to "pwn N00bs" can expect to be promptly booted. My expectation is that more experienced players should take on a teacher/target drone role in order to develop everyone's skills and not discourage people who are new to the game. No Mines (air or land) and no TOWs...the two cheapest weapons in the game.

VARIANT RULESETS:

No Warhawks: Ground/Jetpack combat only. I will announce when this is in effect.
Knives and 'Nades (K&N): You can only use your knife and hand grenades. Usually played on High City.
Vehicular Manslaughter: Played on Grinder. Sort of like K&N except with the flamethrower, biofield, and jeeps (no guns of any kind or rocket launchers). Bonus points for honking before you run someone over.
Infected: Everyone goes to blue except for one person (usually me). The Infected uses machine gun and grenades only, and as he kills people, they switch to his team. The last blue guy wins and becomes the new Infected. You only become an Infected when killed by an Infected or you suicide (no teamkills). When the Infected are killed, they just respawn and go again.
Douchebag: Team Death Match with Slider, Cruz and Nic on one team and everyone else on the other. The "Douchebag" team can only use douchey weapons (binocs, mines, sniper, TOWs). The non-douchebag team uses only non-douchey weapons (basically everything else).

RECOMMENDED AUDIO SETTINGS:

First, I strongly recommend a USB headset. Even a mediocre one will sound better than the best bluetooth.

PS3 Audio Device Settings under Accessories:

Level: 3 (maybe lower for Bluetooth, which is more sensitive to background noise)
Input: Headset
Output: Headset (sending through TV/Receiver will cause echo)

In-Game Audio Options: (these will save for future games)

Music: 0% (This game does suppport custom soundtracks, so you can listen to your own MP3s)
SFX: 100%
Voice: 100%
Sensitivity: 30% (Adjust until ambient effects don't regularly activate {light up} your mic)
Open mic: checked (great if your mic settings are good, annoying if they're not)
Stereo: checked (recommend playing through TV at low volume)

GAME REVIEWS:

Glowing review from GameTrailers with only negatives (price and tutorial) no longer an issue:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=24450"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=24450" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Glowing review from IGN:
<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=748468&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/816/816879/warhawk_vidreview_082907_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all%"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360'></embed>

Positive but slightly douchey review from G4:
<object classId="clsid:<param name="movie" value="http://g4tv.com/lv3/18235" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://g4tv.com/lv3/18235" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FI37k8dfXbc&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FI37k8dfXbc&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FLYING TIPS:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccWjBuAJDG8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccWjBuAJDG8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

GRATUITOUS BADASS VIDEO:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cw-TsPpZk8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cw-TsPpZk8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by chess; 02-01-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never played online before because I don't want to have to deal with "snot-nosed teenagers" who could "take me out" in about 2 seconds.

If the skill-set is newbie-to-moderate and the group is only DVDTalkers, I'd be interested.

I don't actually own the game yet though: are you thinking bluetooth too?

And, I know Warhawk is online only. Is there any way for me to train offline so I actually last a while?
Old 03-13-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Any interest in a Weekly Warhawk night?

Originally Posted by Chew
I've never played online before because I don't want to have to deal with "snot-nosed teenagers" who could "take me out" in about 2 seconds.

If the skill-set is newbie-to-moderate and the group is only DVDTalkers, I'd be interested.

I don't actually own the game yet though: are you thinking bluetooth too?

And, I know Warhawk is online only. Is there any way for me to train offline so I actually last a while?
I actually use a wired headset (less background noise), but yes.

You can actually do local multiplayer, or you can host your own pasword protected online map and just putz around. I would also be willing to serve as a target drone for you and give you tips if you want. I couldn't care less about my kill ratio or any of that stuff. I just play for fun.
Old 03-13-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I wouldn't mind joining in to try it out. I don't have any of the DLC but I do have the regular game. I have only played once online and it was cool but I tend to stick to my Xbox for online games.

It would give me a chance to try out the headset that came with the game. I got on there by myself last time and just played a random game without the headset. It was chaos but still a pretty cool game.

Chew, there is a pretty extensive training session that you can go thru before going online to give you the feel of the game. But honestly, many of us would likely be amateurs and inexperience doesn't sound like it would be a big deal. God knows I have forgotten how to play by now.
Old 03-13-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, sign me up.
Old 03-13-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I wouldn't mind joining in to try it out. I don't have any of the DLC but I do have the regular game. I have only played once online and it was cool but I tend to stick to my Xbox for online games.

It would give me a chance to try out the headset that came with the game. I got on there by myself last time and just played a random game without the headset. It was chaos but still a pretty cool game.

Chew, there is a pretty extensive training session that you can go thru before going online to give you the feel of the game. But honestly, many of us would likely be amateurs and inexperience doesn't sound like it would be a big deal. God knows I have forgotten how to play by now.
The DLC is a steal this week and is worth it for the jetpacks alone.

The packaged headset is terrible, unfortunately. It's passable for use on a cellphone, but it picks up way too much background noise in the game.

The game can be chaotic depending on the size of the map build. Small maps are crazy but fun. I mix it up, but my preference is medium sized maps with lots of vehicles.
Old 03-13-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any suggestions on what would be my best pricing options for the game and a wired headset?

Edit: Will any bluetooth headset work? I already have one for my old cellphone.

Last edited by Chew; 03-13-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-13-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd probably just download the game and DLC. I wish I had it on my hard-drive instead of on disk because it's so "pick up and play", and I don't think the file is all that big. If you prefer the disk, I'll send you mine for $20 shipped!

So $30 for that...or $20 if you don't want to pull the trigger on DLC. At very least, get the last DLC with the jetpacks. They are awesome.

I got my wired USB headset on clearance at Wal-Mart for $15. It's a pretty nice Logitech with PS3 packaging...but any USB headset will work. You could view it as a "Warhawk expense", but it's usable on a whole variety of games. Really, every PS3 should have a USB headset and a USB keyboard IMO.

Edit to add...a GOOD bluetooth headset is fine...just the one packaged with the game isn't good.
Old 03-13-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap, looks like the sale on the PSN version and DLC ended Wednesday?
Old 03-13-09, 10:25 AM

I'd be interested. I only have the main game and have only played the training missions.
Old 03-13-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap, looks like the sale on the PSN version and DLC ended Wednesday?
I thought it still went through this week. Sorry to hear that.

My guess is a used disk copy would be under $20. I think Gamestop has a B2G1 coming up, and this would be a great combo with Burnout Paradise and something else.
Old 03-13-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I hate to hear that about the headset since that was one of the reasons I bought the game. But I got it cheap at the time so no worries. I still wouldn't mind giving it a chance. I hope it would be passable for the little bit I play on the PS3.

I probably won't spring for the DLC since I hardly ever play the game and it would end up being a waste of money. If you guys want to play one night without the DLC, let me know. Send me a friend request to if you like. My PS3 needs more friends and some more love.
Old 03-13-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit under $20 (15.50 + 3.99) shipped on Amazon for a used copy...or 27.99 new directly from amazon.
Old 03-13-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I hate to hear that about the headset since that was one of the reasons I bought the game. But I got it cheap at the time so no worries. I still wouldn't mind giving it a chance. I hope it would be passable for the little bit I play on the PS3.

I probably won't spring for the DLC since I hardly ever play the game and it would end up being a waste of money. If you guys want to play one night without the DLC, let me know. Send me a friend request to if you like. My PS3 needs more friends and some more love.
It's passable, but you'll really need to tweak the input settings on your PS3 and play with the game volume pretty low.

I would ABSOLUTELY play at least the first few weeks (months?) DLC-free just to get people hooked...and you will get hooked if you give this game a chance and play with some likeminded folks. Like I said, this is intended to be a friendly game rather than a spawncamping teabagging bunch of douchebaggery.

Anybody who wants to join up, send me a friend invite (frizby), and I'll start a list.
Old 03-13-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Chew, I could gameshare the booster pack with you, since I just got it. My game is disc-based though.
Old 03-13-09, 11:36 AM

chess, I'd definitely love to do this. I've owned the game since it went GH, but I never fired it up til last weekend. Played it, loved it (despite getting my ass kicked), and bought the DLC without a second thought.

I'll send a friend request tonight after work or sometime this weekend, whenever I have time to turn on the PS3.
Old 03-13-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Chew, I could gameshare the booster pack with you, since I just got it. My game is disc-based though.
I was going to suggest this option to the group until I read this article this morning.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/28/so...dable-warhawk/

There's always been a catch when sharing downloadable PSN games: If it's an online multiplayer title, only one PSN account can use a particular license at any one time, though the license can be shared with any number of accounts across five consoles (so, you purchase and download the game, and then four of your friends can download the game for free onto their consoles using your account, but play using their own accounts). With nothing said leading up to its release, no one expected the rule to be changed for Warhawk, but it has been.

It's not that Sony has lifted the limitation, but rather, Sony has reinforced it further. Each Warhawk license is tethered to one PSN account, the purchaser, and while the game can be installed on up to five consoles using that account (and only that account for playing), a single Warhawk license cannot be used on more than one console within a single day.

The rule change isn't unprecedented, but Sony could have been more transparent about its intentions ever since Warhawk was transformed into a downloadable multiplayer game (also available on Blu-ray). With undisclosed millions likely burned on a disastrous development cycle, during which a potential triple A single-player game was completely trashed, it's understandable that Sony wants to charge $40 to each and every PSN account holder that plays the downloadable version of Warhawk. Next time, just let us know the deal before release day, okay?

Here's the official fine print: "One time fee for download or use solely by the purchasing PSN account on up to five PS3 units, with no more than one activated PS3 unit within a 24 hour period. Content may not be used by any other account."
It's not exactly clear on whether that's only the game and not the DLC though?
Old 03-13-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Hmmm.... I don't know about that. I suppose we could try it and you could just delete it if that were the case?

Anyway, I guess I could be up for a game sometime even though I've barely played the game since I bought it and suck big, big time at it. Send me an friend invite and we can maybe set up a game sometime
Old 03-13-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just back from lunch...$5 subs FTW!

I think we have enough interest to get something started, but we need to pick a night.

I like weekend nights because I get to stay up late, but I'm definitely open to weekdays as well. Any preferences?

Tonight, I'll look for invites and maybe send a few. I'll also start building a map rotation for a small number of players. It looks like 4-6 if most show up, and I'll invite another guy I know who's even worse than me but is a nice guy.

I'll be on PSN plenty this weekend (but maybe not tonight), so send me a note if you want to hop in a game for practice.
Old 03-13-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

We have a baby on the way very soon, but I'd be interested (while I can still play... )

my PS3 tag is: fujishig

I bought the game some time ago, but never opened it (!) and just downloaded the DLC, so I figure I should try it out now that I spent even more money on it.
Old 03-13-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool.

To this point, I have:

fujishig
Decker01
CoudVader
Arachnidsting
Murr731

And I need an invite or PSN name for Chew.

Tell you what fellas. I will be on Warhawk starting no later than 6 PM CST tomorrow. I'll build a map rotation tentatively called "DVDTALK" with the password "forum". If only 1 or 2 drop by, that's fine. It will be good practice and I'll hold back to whatever extent is necessary.
Old 03-13-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at work, so I can't send you anything right now.

But, my PSN name (should be) "chew1138"

I wouldn't mind weekends either.....I don't have a life

Just got back from Gamestop during lunch and got the last copy (plus Burnout Paradise and Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii--thanks for the other suggestion!).
Old 03-13-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at work, so I can't send you anything right now.

But, my PSN name (should be) "chew1138"

I wouldn't mind weekends either.....I don't have a life

Just got back from Gamestop during lunch and got the last copy (plus Burnout Paradise and Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii--thanks for the other suggestion!).
Happy to help.

Those are 3 spectacular games for $45 or so.
Old 03-13-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Not sure I'll be online tomorrow, but I'll try.

Any tips and tricks before we start?
Old 03-13-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really, other than that you can expect to evolve. You'll start out largely depending on the machine gun and grenades...and using mines and turrets. Then you'll move on to jeeps, then tanks (turret moves independently of tank), and finally you'll move on to the Warhawks, which have a steep learning curve but are super rewarding. They have a VTOL mode (flies like a helicopter) and a jet mode.

Ahhh...I do have one tip:

The sensitivity/invert on your controls is fully adjustable, so play with them a lot to start until you find a setting you like. Personally, I don't like inverted except for aircraft controls, and I set my sensitivity in the 80s. And be sure to set your flight to "pro flight", which is harder to get used to but will allow you to do things in the planes that you simply can't otherwise.

Also, the game has a ton of aim assist, which I normally hate, but it fits well because the pace is faster than the average shooter. It's usually helpful, except with grenades. The aim assist goes for center mass, and grenades need to be thrown at the feet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.