Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NCAA Football '09

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NCAA Football '09

I am on the fence about purchasing NCAA '09.

I have not bought the franchise in 2-3 years (what was the first on for 360, '07?)

I was wondering if it was time. I don't really go online to play, so that is a non-issue. Although I would love to download a roster, is that available yet?

In the past things haven't changed much between years, but since it has been a couple, I figure it may be worthwhile.

I was reading some stuff about defense "learning" and such, and that sounds cool.
Old 07-16-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're on fence about that, play the demo first and see how you like it.
Old 07-16-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked it up yesterday and played for a little while. There's a glitch with editing mass rosters right now that hasn't been patched yet, so you can't d/l and update a master list. EA is aware of the issue and say they're working on it, but they haven't given a timetable to fix it. Once they do, you can d/l a master roster list (I believe for free).

Graphics have their normal shine over the previous year, but nothing dramatic. The biggest gameplay change that I've noticed is that you're not tied into animations anymore when you're running with the ball. If you hit spin and it's spinning into a defender, you can juke out of it instead of waiting for the spin to end. It's hard to describe, but it's a very cool addition that makes running a lot more fun.

I've only put a couple of hours into this, but it seems like they really did a good job of making additions that make sense and help gameplay. The one thing that I read has been butchered was the campus legend feature, but I just play through Dynasty so it's irrelevant to me.
Old 07-16-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by McHawkson
If you're on fence about that, play the demo first and see how you like it.

I didn't realize there was a demo up, I haven't had my 360 on in like a month.
Old 07-16-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I grabbed the PS3 version yesterday after hearing the EA football 30fps debacle had been fixed. It runs well, which is a relief. I chose PS3 over 360 under fear of my console RROD'ing on this on Madden.

Rosters are available for the 360, with PS3 rumored to be available shortly. They've made it much easier to get rosters this year with the Locker feature.

I've only played a few games, but I'm liking it so far. The Operation Sports boards and some others are complaining a lot about the defense AI (linebackers), but they tend to go a little hardcore into the analysis on these things, finding issues most people never notice.

Recruiting in dynasty seems a little involved. The last NCAA I played was 2005 or 2006, so I'm feeling a little lost here. No create a school feature, either, which I imagine is something they are still working on bringing to the next-gen versions.

Does anyone know how the draft class import feature between this and Madden works? Should I have a season of NCAA completed and exported before I start Madden, or should I run them at the same time?
Old 07-16-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonw9
I didn't realize there was a demo up, I haven't had my 360 on in like a month.
Wait - I didn't say demo's up (I haven't touched 360 for few weeks, too). I was just suggesting that you should try demo first or rent it.
Old 07-16-08, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a demo up, has been for a couple weeks.

I haven't played this in a few years, might give it a try this year, but probably not until football season starts. Online dynasty mode is what I'm most interested in.
Old 07-16-08, 11:36 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Recruiting in dynasty seems a little involved.
It's a lot better than last year. Last year you would spend more time messing with the recruiting board then you would playing an actual game. This year you can pick how much of the 10 hours you want to spend talking to the prospect and the computer will do the rest.
Old 07-16-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked it up and I'm loving it. I downloaded DT's rosters (GamerTag EArosters com....notice the space). I believe the rosters work fine as long as you don't edit them. They seem pretty solid regardless. I noticed a few issues with Michigan, but nothing that will stop me from playing. I will start my Dynasty soon....cannot wait. Looks like MLB 08 will go on the shelf for a while.

Also, NCAA 09 was for the 360....at least what I have.
Old 07-16-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got it. Love it. Don't know what the kids are complaining about on the other boards.
Old 07-16-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is pretty messed up.

As a member of OperationSports, there is just a laundry list of problems. Sliders are reversed, glitches, linebackers slowing down, no pass rush, corners standing up, etc....

I would pass on it.

The best sports games out are The Show PS3 and Top Spin 3 XBOX 360. Both are almost perfect.
Old 07-16-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've bought this game on release day every year since back when it was called Bill Walsh College Football for the Sega Genesis but so far I haven't felt any desire to buy the new one. Last year I bought it for the original Xbox so upgrading for the 360 or PS3 would seem to be a no-brainer. Maybe after 16 years I'm just burned out. Plus I'm sick of rewarding EA year after year for their incremental improvements. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but so far I just don't care.
Old 07-16-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know how you feel mug. That is why I took time off, and feeling out the new edition.
I did not realize it was so glitchy. Is this only a PS3 thing?

I like college football, and like the dynasty aspect. I just checked, and it was NFL '07 I bought last, so it was only last year I didn't buy.

I have no desire to ever buy Madden again, and have not for years. The last NFL game i bough was the 2K series when it was $19.99 new on PS2.
Old 07-17-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9
I know how you feel mug. That is why I took time off, and feeling out the new edition.
I did not realize it was so glitchy. Is this only a PS3 thing?

I like college football, and like the dynasty aspect. I just checked, and it was NFL '07 I bought last, so it was only last year I didn't buy.

I have no desire to ever buy Madden again, and have not for years. The last NFL game i bough was the 2K series when it was $19.99 new on PS2.

It is across all next gen.

More glitches are being revealed. EA is already working on patches, which some of the problems of the game can't be fixed. Just a big clusterfuck on EA's part.

I would bash EA, but they are making Rock Band an unbelievable experience and NHL is sweet...and they finally got Tyson and Lennox and others in a boxing game together...
Old 07-17-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad that, other than patchable glitches, EA got it right on PS3 this time around. Last year the 360 version played much more smoothly.
Old 07-17-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ill be playing my NCAA 2004 gamecube edition on my Wii, until a Wii edition finally comes out.
Old 07-17-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a reminder, freencaarosters09.com has the details, but don't manually edit any of your rosters yet.
Old 07-17-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Just a reminder, freencaarosters09.com has the details, but don't manually edit any of your rosters yet.

That is the only patch that has been submitted and will be ready in 10 days (to fix the rosters).
Old 07-17-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The game is just awful online. Because there is no pash rush and no drops, regardless of what team you pick, it ends up just being whoever has the ball last or doesn't make a huge mistake wins. No strategy.

EA pretty much went the route of wide open gameplay by making the defense pretty much worthless. This much tinkering and error should not be occuring with a game that is 15 years old.
Old 07-17-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thelwig14
That is the only patch that has been submitted and will be ready in 10 days (to fix the rosters).
It will be ready in 5-10 days, but yeah it really sucks that it's this messed up at launch.
Old 07-17-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Ill be playing my NCAA 2004 gamecube edition on my Wii, until a Wii edition finally comes out.
It came out this year.
Old 07-17-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
It has Sparty on the cover. I thought about buying it just to have the cover!
Old 07-17-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kurupt
It came out this year.

Old 07-17-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy NCAA every year, but it seems like I play it less and less each year. After playing the demo and the Civilization Revolution demo, I decided to buy Civ and rent NCAA.

My Gamefly copy should be here tomorrow, but I'm disappointed about the roster situation. I was looking forward to downloading a roster right off the bat.
Old 07-18-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, my Dynasty is running fine with DT's roster

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.