Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd

Something kind of cool: I was the Tigers at home hosting the ChiSox and they clinched the division against me. After the final out, they celebrated on my home field -- literally mobbing each other. Cool stuff and great attention to detail by the developers.
Old 04-03-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks!! I am in my second season of RTTS. I got got called up to AAA, then a week later, because of an injury, I got called up to the Reds (about 2 weeks before the All-Star Game). I've played well and am in the running for NL Rookie of the Year. Well, I got a minor injury in game #159 of the season, no DL - just miss a few games. We won the division, so I was expecting to play in the playoffs. Except one problem: I reached all my achievements that had been assigned to me with a deadline of the last game of the season, but on the final day, they assign me 3 new goals (with 0 days to fulfill them). Then they immediately say "you failed to reach your goals so we're booting you down to AAA". I keep re-loading my saved game, but still can't get past this quirk which will cause me not to be able to play in the playoffs.
Old 04-03-09, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daryl
This sucks!! I am in my second season of RTTS. I got got called up to AAA, then a week later, because of an injury, I got called up to the Reds (about 2 weeks before the All-Star Game). I've played well and am in the running for NL Rookie of the Year. Well, I got a minor injury in game #159 of the season, no DL - just miss a few games. We won the division, so I was expecting to play in the playoffs. Except one problem: I reached all my achievements that had been assigned to me with a deadline of the last game of the season, but on the final day, they assign me 3 new goals (with 0 days to fulfill them). Then they immediately say "you failed to reach your goals so we're booting you down to AAA". I keep re-loading my saved game, but still can't get past this quirk which will cause me not to be able to play in the playoffs.
That happened to me last year and I thought they would have fixed that in the new game.
Old 04-06-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I think Ron Gardenhire is an idiot, Apologies to Twins fans. He puts me in games to pinch hit when the Twins are down 8+ runs and nobody on base, and I have a 16 game hitting streak.

Also, I fail a couple of fielding goals, and he says "Shape up." I do it again, he says "You've been warned." I do a third straight time, and he says "You've left me no choice" and benches me.

So I immediately go to the interaction screen and ask for more playing time. He says "I like the way you have been performing, you get a start" and I am put back in the lineup

Another thing, sometimes your goal will be "take a strike." Simple goal, just take a pitch that is called a strike. I decided to guess the pitch, and it's a fastball right down the middle. I knock it out for a game winning home run. After the game, he benches me for not listening to him
Old 04-06-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

So i'm playing just now and the ump calls me out on a bang bang play at first base. My player starts arguing the call and ends up getting thrown out of the game. But then the game fast forwards to my next event later in the SAME game...wtf?

***edit*** the next event consisted of me diving for a ball in left and not coming up with it so I run to the wall to pick it up. The only problem:I can't see the fucking ball because of the goddamn camera so I had no idea where to go.

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-06-09 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
So i'm playing just now and the ump calls me out on a bang bang play at first base. My player starts arguing the call and ends up getting thrown out of the game. But then the game fast forwards to my next event later in the SAME game...wtf?
same thing happened to me just this afternoon. I got tossed after arguing a call at first. The next event was.... my next at-bat.
Old 04-07-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not me. I got tossed arguing a call and that was it. No more at bats. You can avoid it by skipping the cut scene, but that is no fun
Old 04-07-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole ejection thing is stupid anyway. You have no control over it. I've been playing Franchise and Derek Jeter got ejected twice in my first season. Yes the same guy who has never argued a call in his life gets thrown out twice. Either find a way for me to control it or take it out of the game.
Old 04-07-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can control it. Just skip the cutscene. The longer you watch it, the more chance you have of getting tossed.
Old 04-07-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More tales from the Gardenhire files. ALDS vs Boston, tied at 2-2, and Gardenhire decides that I need a day off for game 5.

Series over, Twins lose.

Even as a starter, you get way too many days off in RttS. I will play 3 or 4 games in a row, and then get a day off. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have played an entire series yet in my four year MLB career. I lead the team in all offensive catagories, too.

I still love the game, though.
Old 04-07-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon has this right now for 49.99 if anyone still has not bought it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/MLB-09-Playsta...9086090&sr=1-1
Old 04-14-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be doing something wrong here:

When I'm pitching, I drive the meter to the end of the yellow, just before it goes into the red. On the way back I get it as close to the yellow line as possible. Now I'm under the assumption that hitting the yellow line exactly (so it blinks) is throwing the perfect pitch. The right amount of break, exact location, right speed... right? Well it seems that everytime I hit the yellow line the exact opposite happens. The location is way off and there is no break whatsoever if its a breaking ball.

Anyone else notice this? What am I doing wrong here?
Old 04-14-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The whole ejection thing is stupid anyway. You have no control over it. I've been playing Franchise and Derek Jeter got ejected twice in my first season. Yes the same guy who has never argued a call in his life gets thrown out twice. Either find a way for me to control it or take it out of the game.
I wonder if they could somehow involve the PS3 controller in this. Often on a close play I find myself throwing my hands up in frustration or signalling safe or whatever - I wonder if they could use the amount of motion that the controller senses in determining whether to toss you or not. I had the same thought about NBA 2K9 - like it could sense you shaking the controller in frustration in regards to a foul being called and give you a technical foul.
Old 04-14-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I must be doing something wrong here:

When I'm pitching, I drive the meter to the end of the yellow, just before it goes into the red. On the way back I get it as close to the yellow line as possible. Now I'm under the assumption that hitting the yellow line exactly (so it blinks) is throwing the perfect pitch. The right amount of break, exact location, right speed... right? Well it seems that everytime I hit the yellow line the exact opposite happens. The location is way off and there is no break whatsoever if its a breaking ball.

Anyone else notice this? What am I doing wrong here?
your assumption is incorrect
hitting the yellow line will almost never yield a perfect pitch

here is how I best describe pitching

pitching: first you press the button for which pitch you are going to use and then move the left analog stick to position your mark where the catcher has indicated ... keep in mind if the icon shows the ball with a downward break (arrow) you might want to position the ball higher than the catcher's target.

you press "x" to start the meter keep it held down
as the meter moves toward yellow and then red you release "x" to mark your pitch velocity... end of the meter being the hardest but not always the most accurate
as the meter than comes back down toward the yellow line you press "x" to determine the release point .... each pitch will respond differently however I find that the sooner your release the less break you will get and the later you release the greater the break and lack of control
not always an accurate science but close... you may need to experiment as different pitch choices have different characteristics
Old 04-14-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That is exactly how I pitch and if you're method is correct then getting it exactly on the yellow line SHOULD yield the right amount of break with the right amount of control. Basically meaning that where I ask the pitch to go, is where the pitch should go. Meanwhile, usually when I hit the yellow line, instead of that happening the pitch will go two feet off the plate or stay in the zone but belt high with no break. Usually this leads to a ball, sometime it leads to a wild pitch and then sometime it leads to a very long home run. I get better results when I don't hit the yellow marker. This happens on any pitch. Sliders will stay high in the zone. Curveballs don't break. Change ups don't drop and fastballs are thrown way out of the zone. I must be doing something wrong, becasue the yellow marker is the goal to hit on every pitch. I know this because if you're getting hit hard the yellow line will shrink and if you're mowing them down the yellow line will become thicker. I'd understand if this was happening late in the game, but it happens in the 2nd and 3rd inning as well.
Old 04-14-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always release off speed and breaking pitches well before the yellow line and have good control

fastballs I release closer to the yellow line
Old 04-14-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been pressing X 3 times to pitch (after selecting pitch). 1 to select location & start windup, 1 at top of the meter, and once to match the yellow line. I was just in the middle of the game, and tried hold/release instead, and was inconclusive.

but I did just get my first 3 trophies with a walk-off GS.
Old 04-15-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hit a homer in a game last night, and it cut to a scene of the rest of the team on the bench standing up and watching it go out. The only problem was I was on the bench high fiving everyone for the homer I hit as it left the yard
Old 04-15-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could justify spending $50 for a game I really want to play this, Tiger woods 09 and NHL 09, instead I spent about $300 on the blockbuster clearance sale.
Old 04-15-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This game is a steal for $50. I'd have paid $80 for it. It's excellent.
Old 04-15-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
This game is a steal for $50. I'd have paid $80 for it. It's excellent.
Very true. I feel guilty for getting it free with my PS3.
Playing RTTS is like crack, the hours just fly by when i'm playing that. I keep telling myself "ok, one last game" over and over all night but can't ever put the damn controller away.
Old 04-16-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont make me do it
Old 04-16-09, 12:46 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been playing season mode, and had a hard time hitting homers for some reason. I tried changing the sliders but nothing worked. So I figured it maybe because I was using the guess pitch feature. Once I stopped guessing pitch location I nailed 4 homers in 1 game. I wish I had stopped guessing pitch location earlier.

Last edited by Mok; 04-16-09 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Dont make me do it
Do it. You won't regret it.
Old 04-17-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mok
I have been playing season mode, and had a hard time hitting homers for some reason. I tried changing the sliders but nothing worked. So I figured it maybe because I was using the guess pitch feature. Once I stopped guessing pitch location I nailed 4 homers in 1 game. I wish I had stopped guessing pitch location earlier.
Something similar happened to me. When I guess location and pitch (I always guess fastball inside or outside depending on the batter and adjust for breaking balls) I had a hard time getting a hit from it. I realized it was because I was too anxious on the fastball so I pulled it foul. I adjusted for this and I'm hitting the ball solidly most of the time when I guess pitch and location. Still though, most of my home runs come when the pitcher hangs a breaking ball.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.