Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the code Slop!!!

I played for about 3 hours a couple nights ago. I'm about 10% done, but honestly I really just spent the time doing a few missions and exploring the land.

I'm already bored of traveling all the way across the map to do a mission (the land is HUGE) and the bad guys take way too many shots before they go down. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to digging deep into this game.

Sadly I feel this will be quickly lost in the Holiday shuffle, with Fable, Fallout, Gears, and Call of Duty releasing within a month of each other. A real shame, because this game deserves much better.
Old 10-30-08, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been enjoying the game so far, about 20% in, 7 hrs or so playing time. I only wish you could warp from safe house to safe house, ala Just Cause... it takes forever getting a mission, then driving for 20 min, do the mission, then driving 20 min back. But I am liking it. LOOVE the RPG !
Old 11-02-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented this and Dead Space at the same time, and I much preferred Dead Space. The driving is a huge pain with this game, as is the erratic shooting. Since I am going away for vacation in a week or so, my plan was to try to finish both games before I go, but after I played this for a while, I've decided just to put in a bit of time against it when I get a chance. I've very glad that I didn't buy it.
Old 11-05-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
It's making me sad that this amazing game is being ignored. So I thought I'd bump the thread with some gameplay experience.

On a mission, I waited until nightfall, and crept through the bushes towards my target. A mob of goons was patrolling the compound: a couple of well-placed molotovs herded them into the light of the moon, where I sprayed them with my silenced MP5. Amid the slaughter and the crackling of the fire, two of them managed to run for it around the side of the outbuilding. I ran after them, and as I crept around the corner I could hear one guy jabbering away to himself, half-mad with fear and adrenaline. I crept up behind him and hacked him with the machete, then stabbed him until he stopped moving. I was suddenly bathed in light as a jeep started up its engines and barreled towards me at top speed. I whipped out the old, rusty RPG I'd scavenged and fired it at the oncoming jeep. The rocket plopped pathetically out of the end of the weapon and started hissing at my feet, so I turned tail and ran like fuck. There was a bang behind me and the charred wreckage of the jeep flew over my right shoulder and landed upside down in a duck pond. It was about then I realized I was probably playing the game of the year.
Old 11-06-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree that this game is very good indeed. I still do have a problem with the enemies re-spawning a little too quickly. I pass through an encampment, kill everyone, proceed onto a designated spot, go back over my tracks and then the guys are back again. They need to make the guys respawn a little slower. On the upside at least it ensures that there is non-stop action. I agree with the previous poster in the fact that the way things pan out in the game can be very interesting to watch. The sheer number of times things have gone pear shaped or something has happened by chance that has aided me has been incredible. It really makes playing the game enjoyable. And the fire in the game is amazing. More games need to include it. I have just reached the southern map and am enjoying the hell out of this game. If you havn't picked it up yet go out and buy it.
Old 11-06-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
It was about then I realized I was probably playing the game of the year.

I'd say it was around the point that I crept up behind a guy in multiplayer and unloaded about 15 rounds straight to his back, then as I ran out of ammo, watched him run away that I realized I was probably playing the most broken game of the year.

This is very, very far from being even a 'great' game.

= J
Old 11-06-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino

I'd say it was around the point that I crept up behind a guy in multiplayer and unloaded about 15 rounds straight to his back, then as I ran out of ammo, watched him run away that I realized I was probably playing the most broken game of the year.

This is very, very far from being even a 'great' game.

= J
I haven't played multi-player yet, but I keep hearing about how it takes a lot of bullets to down an enemy, and honestly, I haven't run into that at all. It takes just as many bullets (maybe a couple more) to kill someone as it does in, say, Call of Duty. And even less if you get headshots. So I don't see where this complaint is coming from since I haven't experienced it myself. (not sure if it matters, but I'm playing it on "easy")
Old 11-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course you haven't run into it at all...you haven't played the multi player yet.

= J
Old 11-06-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Mutliplayer sucked. And I was hoping it would save the game, since I didn't like campaign that much. I was hitting people point blank with shotguns, and watching them run away. Oh well.
Old 11-30-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

got this at best buy for 37.99 friday and i really like it. Its slower then other FPS but i like that, driving controls are very good. i love driving boats etc. One thing that no one really mentions is the customs maps. The level editor is insane in how deep it is. Its alot of fun creating a map. I like how you can browse all the custom maps online. Online play is pretty fun. Sometimes the weapons feel underpowered. but with almost every game featuring a new custom map, which is good and bad, MP doesnt get old very fast.

I love the sound of the fires crackling in this game. great sound, love the wind when its getting stormy and the wind is picking up.
Old 12-29-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I got this for Christmas, and I like it alot. It's easy to kill people if you take your time, and not spray and pray. I don't even zoom in half the time. I haven't played multiplayer yet, so I can't comment on that. So far it says I am 16% into the game.
Old 01-22-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Far Cry 2

Anybody beat this game yet? I beat it last week and was disappointed by the ending.

I do have a question about the ending:

Spoiler:
If you let your friends die during the game do they still come back to kill you at the end of the game? I made sure all of my friends survived and I had a hell of a time getting past them.
Old 01-22-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought that game when it came out, and got to the second half. Then I got sidetracked with other games. I've been meaning to go back and finish it.
Old 01-22-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I haven't played this in a month. Thinking about just trading it in now
Old 01-22-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking on getting it from BB, it's on sale for $30 this week there. Graphics look amazing, and looks like a lot of fun. I really like sand box games so it should work for me. But at the same time, I was thinking it was an 8-10 hours game or something like that. And reading the thread it seems it will take more than 30 hours...
Old 01-22-09, 11:03 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to love this game, and at times I do, but I am finding it HARD to keep playing.
Old 01-30-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked up this game last night for the PS3. Haven't gotten around to opening it yet though.

Did Ubisoft ever release a patch for the PS3 version in North America? From the ubisoft forums page I see a patch was released in November, but it looks like it was for the UK.

I'm wondering if the sometimes reported issue of the game freezing every few seconds when connected to the Internet has been fixed... although I'm not sure if this issue was for UK players only. Anyone care to comment?

Last edited by Yavin; 01-30-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-01-09, 11:02 PM
gamer for life

This game is like Godfather, just when I think I am done with it, it calls me back. Slowly I am getting into it. I am about 50% done now, well into act 2, and I find I am having fun. I still hate the re-spawning guard posts, and wish there were more bus stops, but at times this game is brilliant.
Old 02-06-09, 11:11 PM
gamer for life

Oh my god. Just finished Far Cry 2, and I have to say that I have never been this surprised by a game like this. If you read my above post you will see I went from not liking it, to starting to like it but being frustrated, to now loving it. This is only behind Fallout 3 for Game of the Year 2008. Some thoughts.....

1: I still hated the guard post re-spawning so quickly. I understand that they would eventually replaced dead guards, but it would have been nice to do it in say a 24 hour period. That being said, I found myself playing the game differently. I would drive out of the way to avoid known roadblocks, especially late in the game when they started having rockets that would kill you in one hit. Even if you wanted to play this game balls to the wall, you still had to play a bit of stealth from time to time. So in a way the re-spawning made the game more edgy.

2: I am surprised this game did not get more attention for its graphics. I really did not see a game this year that was as breathtaking. Far Cry 2 was gorgeous, with huge vistas, no load times (except saves and bus travel) and the day and night cycle, along with dynamic weather, fire and other effects, that never let up. Grass and trees, unlike the Call of Duty 4, looked real. This game proves that you don't need 60 frames per second to impress. Only minor pop up I could see.

3: Loved loved loved the ending. It felt like the beginning of Far Cry 1....did anyone else notice that? I wish the ending was a little bit harder. Heck there were some guard post that I had a harder time with.

4: Enemy AI was so good at times that when it messed up it was a bit jarring, but there were things they did that really surprised me. I did not like their GOD like vision in the jungle, and their ability to fight indoors left a lot to be desired, but nothing will get your heart racing more in a fight then when you hear that sound of a car engine growling up and you know you are fixing to get run over.

5: Jamming enemy weapons you pick up....OK, but come on, within 5-30 shots? It sure seemed that they worked better then that for them. Jamming weapons that you buy after 2-3 missions? Fuck realism, when you buy a weapon it should last longer. Not a big deal, as you get in the habit of running to a gun shop and replacing them, but just a small annoyance.

If you have not played this game do yourself a favor and pick it up. If you have only played this game up to about 40% or less, and gave up on it, stick with it. Change your play style, and you may find you love it. I would have given the game a 6 out of 10 at the start, 7 out of 10 about 35% in and ultimately a solid 9 of 10 at the end.
Old 02-07-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool. It came free with my new video card and I haven't really gotten around to playing it much. I'll make sure to eventually give it a try.
Old 07-27-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XBLM DotW:

Far Cry®2 Fortunes Pack - 240 (40% off), 43MB
Old 09-07-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little late to this party (by about 4yrs) but I really like this game. I like the huge open jungle environment and it really hasn't aged that bad. The time it takes to go between the missions can be a little tedious sometimes and I don't like how the guard posts keep respawing, but overall I think it's a cool little game.

Originally Posted by Ghym
The buddy thing is pretty cool. The first time I "died" and a buddy came and saved me, it was pretty cool. The 3rd and 4th time, it got a little old, since you have to wait for them to get you to a safe spot, but it's better than having to load the last save.
Does anyone know any more about this? I had one guy save me in a battle, but every time I have died since then I've had to go back to my last save. How do I get him or anyone else to return and save my ass?
Old 09-07-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

You'll have to talk to him at your nearest safe house. He's in there exercising/writing a book/whacking off, waiting for you to tell him he's still your main man.
Old 09-07-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, thanks
Old 09-14-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the idea of the game, but thought it was executed kind of poorly. I never beat it because the malaria medication thing was such a chore after a while. It ruined the game for me. Developers really need to stop putting in 'realistic features' like that. It was a pointless 'challenge'.

I also didn't like the way the map was handled, really annoying to read.

The environment was pretty cool though. I actually booted this game up again to play in 3D vision and I like the open ended approach to a lot of the missions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.