Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I have no idea whether to get a PS3 or 360...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a long time of being away from the videogame scene I am now ready to buy a new one to hook up to my Aquos HD LCD. I like the Wii but want a system that really impresses me with graphics and performance like the PS3 and 360. Problem is I have no idea which one to get....and forgive me as a social life has caused me to lose years of videogame knowledge

XBOX 360:

Pros - much cheaper, XBOX live which allows you to play people around the world and is "better" than the PS3 network (is this true?)

Cons - system breakdown issues

PS3:

Pros - One of the best blu-ray players, GTA and Gran Turismo series, better graphics (true?), more powerful than XBOX

Cons - Way more expensive, not as effective online network?, blu-ray player isn't a huge selling point for me right now.

As for the games I am interested in, it is pretty simple: sports games, Guitar Hero and some of the blockbusters like GTA4 and Gran Turismo. I can't stress enough that I have no interest in the RPGs or Japanese imports and fighting games are hit and miss with me. I am basically buying a new system to play NBA 2K9, Guitar Hero 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4. Maybe a Madden or blockbuster game down the road...

Thanks for any advice as I want to get this right. Cost isn't a huge concern, but does play a part in my decision. I do not want or need to own both consoles. And hopefully I don't buy one of these before a Christmas price-drop.
Old 10-06-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have a fancy HDTV, I'd say Blu-ray is a pretty nice way to show it off and in that case a PS3 would be able to help in that regard. However, GTA is on the 360 (and will have more content via download exclusive to the 360) and i'd say graphics are about equal so far from all the games i've seen.

Personally, i'd recommend the 360 if your interest is mainly to get back into video games. By far.
Old 10-06-08, 04:26 PM
Banned

Personally, having owned both, I'd recommend the PS3 by far no matter what your interest is. It's just a better machine.
Old 10-06-08, 04:29 PM

Also, how does internet connectivity and online gaming work for both? I've never owned a system where I would play online, so wondering how much it costs per year to use each system's network, what I have to buy to play online etc.
Old 10-06-08, 04:30 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
You can use this chart:

Old 10-06-08, 04:32 PM

While price is important, you should also look at the VALUE component. I love my PS3, personally. There's some nice software on the horizon, too. (Although the same can be said for the 360.)

I'm surprised Michael Corvin hasn't come in and bashed the PS3 yet.

mod note: Totally uncalled for. -namja

Last edited by namja; 10-07-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by awil1026

I'm sure he's busy bashing it in some other thread(s).

mod note: More of the same comment. -namja

Last edited by namja; 10-07-08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a tough one. If Blu-ray might be a deciding factor go with the PS3, but if it is just an issue of games look at both libraries. Most people I know prefer the Xbox and Xbox Live. Grand Theft Auto 4 is on both, but Gran Turismo is only on PS3. However, Forza 2 is very popular on Xbox and maybe better at this point.

Other factors are the fact that playing games online is free on PS3 and $60 a year on 360. That does add up though Live is the better service and will have the Netflix streaming thing if you want to watch low quality, compressed video on your HDTV. If you need Wi-Fi also keep in mind it comes built into the PS3, but needs an adapter that increases the cost of the 360.

When I had to make this decision it was easy because 360s were dying left and right and Blu-ray was a factor. Also, once I added in the cost of the Wi-Fi adapter and Live the 360 wasn't any cheaper. However, the build quality of new 360s seem to be very solid so I don't think the RROD is a major concern anymore. If Blu-ray isn't a big deal to you then maybe the better online of the 360 is the way to go. Most of the games you mentioned are on both so libraries may not be a big deal.

I don't personally own a 360. PC, PS3 and Wii are my choices this gen, but most of my friends have the 360 and seem to love Xbox Live. PSN is fine, but definitely not as organized as Live. I had no issues playing Burnout Paradise online on the PS3 and free is always better than $60 a year to me.

Last edited by darkside; 10-06-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Owning both, I can tell you I've played a total of four PS3 games on my PS3 in the last 22 months (Resistance, MGS4, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank). I couldn't tell you how many I've played on the 360. As a physical machine, the PS3 is better. As a gaming platform, it's the 360 by a mile, especially if you play online a lot. Also, the only "con" you listed for the 360 is really a non issue if you're getting in now.
Old 10-06-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I'm planning on buying a PS3 over a 360 for 2 simple reasons: dependability and built-in wireless. Why these two issues haven't been properly addressed for the 360 is simply mind-boggling. Blu-ray is just icing on the cake.

I know there are cheaper alternatives out there for the wireless option, but Microsoft's own wireless adapter runs $99. Assuming you get that and a Premium system, you're sitting at ~$400, which is the cost of a PS3 as-is. Tacking on the annual cost of Live only makes the PS3 more appealing (for the record, I'm not much of an online gamer so a service with the quality/dependability of Live isn't that important to me).
Old 10-06-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Unless you want a bluray player, definitely look at the games.
I occasionally walk through the PS3 section of stores, and honestly there are no (or very few) PS3 exclusives that jump out at me, whereas there have been dozens of games I've loved on the 360.
Regarding Live's cost: Agreed, free is better than paid, if they are the same. From what I've heard, PS3's online component is not as full featured or easy to use as360's. Plus 60/yr is the MSRP; Amazon has a 13 month card for 38.99, no tax/free ship.
I do wish the 360 had built in wireless, and not a 99$ adapter; but I'm actually wired (I had a 50 foot cable I used to work at home before getting a wireless router).
If gaming's about the games, I'd have to point you to the 360 first. If you want an all-in-one device, I'd still probably point you toward the 360; there's tons of downloadable (free and notfree) content (movies, tv shows, etc). The biggest draw of the PS3 to me is the Bluray player, which admittedly is supposed to be pretty darn good. However, I haven't been too into movies recently, and I'm admittedly still a little burned/resentful about the HDDVD fiasco.
I'll be upfront and reinforce some disadvantages to the 360:
* paid online play (~3$ a month, and a better service) (still has lots of free online stuff, just not play)
* hardware issues (many have been resolved, and that's what warranties are for)
* no built in wireless (this is definitely an additional cost if there's no way for you to connect via hardwire and you need to go online)
All those (except possibly the wireless thing) are outweighed, imho, by the amount of content, both on Marketplace and in games, available for the 360. And if you're interested in online play, check what your friends play; it's no savings to pay nothing for online play on the PS3, if all your friends are playing on the 360.
Old 10-06-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS3

Best Blu-Ray player available and excellent DVD upconversion
Built in Wi-Fi
Free Online Service
Better exclusive games (unless you're into first person shooters)...LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Warhawk, MGS, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Ratchet and Clank

360 has price advantage, and it seems like they have the reliability issues worked out now.
Old 10-06-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Better exclusive games (unless you're into first person shooters)...LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Warhawk, MGS, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Ratchet and Clank
I definitely disagree on this point, as would many others.
Old 10-06-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to add to what others have said.

Xbox 360 Live is not free. There is a charge. The PS3 has Free Online Gaming -- which is virtually non-existent at this time. As others have said, you can turn your 360 at any time of the day and see some of your Friends online, while you'll rarely see a Friend online on the PS3.

As for games, both have their exclusives. Xbox 360 is more first person shooter orientated whereas the PS3 has some great third person games. I greatly enjoyed Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank. Couldn't get into Metal Gear Solid 4. For the 360, I've enjoyed Gears of War, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, The Darkness, Fear, Bioshock. Some of these games are available on the PS3, however, while you can easily pick up and play a third person game on the 360, the PS controller makes it nearly impossible to play a PS3 shooter. This is just my opinion though.

I think it comes down to how often you are going to play it. If you're really into gaming then I would recommend the 360. If you're more casual and looking at watching movies about as often as playing games then go with the PS3.
Old 10-06-08, 06:02 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
I own both and love each for different reasons. To put it bluntly, the PS3 is my Blu-Ray player and the 360 is my game machine.

In additional to all the previous comments, I'd suggest you check out the game prices. In my experience, the 360 has more games at a lower price. You can find many great 360 games under $20, especially if you're willing to buy used.
Old 10-06-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Xbox Live Silver

+

=

Free Xbox Live
Old 10-06-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I was in the same dilemma. I looked at it this way.

My friends that bought the PS3 = 5
My friends that bought the 360 = 24

I wanted to get something to game with friends so I chose the 360.
Old 10-06-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you really want to play games, get the 360.

If you want a reliable unit that will play movies and occasionally thrill you with a game, get the PS3.

The last PS3 game I bought I bought almost a year ago.

I think with both you'll be pretty happy, but the 360 is certainly a lot more fun.
Old 10-06-08, 06:59 PM

Sounds like if I want to play NBA 2K9 online, there are people on the 360 network all hours of the day who would be willing to play? (not necessarily friends of mine but gamers worldwide). That sounds good 'cause it's pretty rare that friends of mine would come over to play NBA 2K9 (or would play online).

The wireless adapter at $100 is a downside (especially when it's free with the PS3) but it sounds like the 360 online network is much more popular? $60 a year for the service is nothing. I can survive on $5 a month.
Old 10-06-08, 07:04 PM
Banned

No, there will also be people on PSN all hours of the day willing to play. Make no mistake about it, XBox Live has more players (it's been out for much longer), but it's not like PSN has 12 members.

If you want to play certain people, find out which system they have and buy that.
Old 10-06-08, 07:13 PM

I bought a PS3 and I don't regret it. I'm just not an 'X-Box' person; I'm not sure why and I'm not dissing the system, I just never connected with it. Plus. the PS3 has Blu-Ray, free online gameplay, Metal Gear Solid, Socom Confrontation, and in my mind a less confusing controller.
Old 10-06-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have all three next gen consoles. The Wii is a really nice dust collector. The PS3 is great for watching movies (blu-ray, DVD upscale is awesome, hulu and netflix streaming, etc). But the 360 is the best gaming console out there. I have over 80 people on my friends list, most from this site. I average 10 people on that list any given time of day if I need to join in a multi-player game. Sure the console has had it's hardware problems, I'm on my third unit. But I think most of those problems have been corrected. The library of games both disc based and on XBLA (xbox live arcade) is huge. The 360 will still play the most popular original xbox games as well, the PS3 cannot play PS2 games (anymore). If you want a great next gen game console you really can't go wrong with the 360.
Old 10-06-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
That's uncalled for. I own and love all three for different reasons. I was on LBP earlier and spent an hour playing Eden last night. I have no qualms with the PS3, I just get annoyed when people throw out baseless numbers and claims like the following just to make the PS3 look better:

Originally Posted by darkside
Other factors are the fact that playing games online is free on PS3 and $60 a year on 360. That does add up though Live is the better service and will have the Netflix streaming thing if you want to watch low quality, compressed video on your HDTV.
1. Xbox Live is $50 a year SRP through the console, but can routinely be had for under $40 for 13 months. Amazon is one such example.

2. Little is known of the Netflix partnership. The selection now is less than steller, but recent reports have Netflix beefing up the selection since MS has gotten involved. HD hasn't been adressed yet, though Live's HD download service selection dwarfs Sony's by a longshot.

Originally Posted by FatTony
I know there are cheaper alternatives out there for the wireless option, but Microsoft's own wireless adapter runs $99. Assuming you get that and a Premium system, you're sitting at ~$400, which is the cost of a PS3 as-is. Tacking on the annual cost of Live only makes the PS3 more appealing (for the record, I'm not much of an online gamer so a service with the quality/dependability of Live isn't that important to me).
Yes, $99 is SRP but it's easy to find it cheaper. Amazon has it for $83 which is a little break. New and used sellers drop it as low as $60. Froogle pulls up a refurb for $45. CAT-5 though is super cheap and all it takes is a bit of time to run a wire. Wireless is a perk, not a necessity.

As for the system, the Pro/Premium bundle now goes for $260. Finally, that puts the SRP cost of a 360 + wireless (at SRP) at $360.

It's easy to toss out retail prices instead of taking the time to share links. Note the PS3 users lack of sharing the fact that it doesn't come with any HD cables. So in all fairness in tossing out SRP numbers, you will need an HDMI cable for the PS3 that could run you $60. Or you could simply go Component for $20. So now you are looking at a $460 purchase with the PS3. Works both ways folks. It's easy to fudge the numbers.

Originally Posted by chess
I love when that little nugget is drug out time after time. What are some of the most anticipated flagship exclusives on the horizon for the PS3? Resistance 2, Killzone 2, MAG, the Agency & SOCOM. All shooters. What's the biggest flagship title out so far? MGS4 a stealth shooter. Then you add in the multi-platform shooters like Call of Duty, the Darkness, Bioshock and umpteen WWII shooters and both consoles are on equal footing as far as shooters go. The only area where the 360 falls short on is platformers and it's not like the PS3 is a shiny beacon in that area either. Little Big Planet and Ratchet are about it.

Game Selection and pricing is a lot more impressive on the 360. As mentioned, at this point you can get some stellar AAA titles for under $20 and the selection is huge. Same goes for XBLA vs. PSN. The PSN has some really cool titles, but the selection is hard to beat on the 360. All the games you listed are available on the 360 except for GranTourismo which is a glorified demo for $40.

Reliability issues are a concern with both systems (the PS3 isn't perfect, but close). MS supports their consumer with a 3 year warranty vs. 1 for the PS3.

All that being said, since you don't own either system you can't go wrong with either. As you can surmise from other posts, it depends on what you will do more of on your system. If you are mostly wanting a game machine go with the 360(game selection, prices and online user base is hard to compete with). If you think you will get more out of a Blu-ray player get the PS3.

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I'm sure he's busy bashing it in some other thread(s).
Seriously, WTF? I've got no dog in this fight, but as you can tell I at least use links and examples unlike the Pro PS3 users that intentionally toss out wrong information to better their cause. All these grumpy PS3 owners in here should give you pause.

Good luck in your decision PJsig.
Old 10-06-08, 09:43 PM

That's the problem. The only thing that is still keeping me interested in the PS3 is the Blu Ray player. I bought an HD DVD player last year and felt the sting when it was killed and am still hesitant, but interested, with the Blu Ray. If Blu Ray players go mainstream, I'm guessing they can be had for $150ish in the not so distant future, and that is reasonable.

Will there be any benefit to owning Guitar Hero 4 on PS3 vs XBOX? That is the main game influencing my decision to buy a next-gen console.

And finally, is there any word of a future Playstation or XBOX from either company? That won't affect my purchase but still a question worth asking...
Old 10-06-08, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's uncalled for. I own and love all three for different reasons. I was on LBP earlier and spent an hour playing Eden last night.
Michael, I was MOSTLY kidding around. Obviously not 100% kidding, otherwise I wouldn't have said it, but it was said with a smile, so I hope it didn't upset you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.