Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Will DRM like the one with Spore and Crysis Warhead kill PC gaming?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will "Spore-like" DRM kill PC gaming?
Yes
44.44%
No
55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Will DRM like the one with Spore and Crysis Warhead kill PC gaming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Like I said earlier, I've had to call MS to reactivate Vista and it was fairly painless. I don't know how well EA is handling this, but as long as it can be done quickly I think there's still a lot of overreaction to it.
My thing would be the hassle of keeping track of installs on multiple games. I may not try to reinstall the game until a year or two later and will EA be helpful then? I agree they more than likely would, but to me Steam has the advantage because all my games are tied to one account. One phone call can have a PC deactivated and all my games are fine.

I think people can deal with DRM as long as the process is mostly invisible to them. Buying multiple retail games with multiple forms of DRM is where I see an issue, but I can agree not for everyone.

As far as PC hardware I would say it has stabilized greatly. I was playing FEAR and Bioshock with no trouble on my single core processor and 2 year old video card. Crysis is the only recent game that tried to push things way past 360 graphics. I recently had to buy a new PC after my 2 year old rig I built myself (I really should have spent more on that motherboard) had a motherboard failure and I decided it was time to move past it and its old AGP card. For $1200 from Dell I picked up a quad core with dual 9800GT cards and I don't see myself needing to upgrade this one (baring another hardware failure) for a long time. Games a year or two from now may require me to lower the settings, but I had no issues playing Bioshock and FEAR on medium to medium high settings.
Old 09-18-08, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Plus, for all the back and forth regarding backwards compatibility with the PS3 and 360, for the most part games a few years old can still be run on newer systems which means a lot of classics can remain playable down the line, with some needing just some slight tweaking.

It certainly makes the games library a lot larger when you can still play games from the late 90's.
Yeah, there are a lot of gems from the last 8 years that are still super playable and still look really good. Of course you can say that about the consoles too, but it seems like people forget that PC has games that came out before 2 years ago.

I wish there was a way to make everyone play Freedom Force, a personal favorite of mine. For as much as I enjoyed Ultimate Alliance/X-men Legends/ and the like, Freedom Force BLOWS those games away. The only reason why people didn't play it was because it didn't have a license.

Last edited by boredsilly; 09-18-08 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't disagree with the merits of Steam, as it's turned into an awesome service. But honestly, I remember there being a pretty big stink about it as well since it pretty much ushered in digital distribution of games.
Old 09-18-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't do any DRM that involves calling home to the mothership.

Imagine if my copy of Baldur's Gate II needed to call home on the internet...oh wait...no more Black Isle Studios, the D&D license is owned by Atari now, Interplay was in and out of business...

Here's what happened to Interplay via wikipedia:

Shutdown

In 2004, the company was given an eviction notice by its landlord for non-payment of rent, and was briefly shut down by the California government for non-payment of workers' paychecks. This, combined with sketchy and sporadic information from Interplay representatives, led many in the game industry to speculate that Interplay had shut down. In fact, the company relocated to a small office and continued to operate, issuing occasional press releases about new publishing deals or the sale of an IP to another publisher. The company's web site shut down around this time.
Wow, wouldn't it be great to have a game that needed to call home to them! Tough luck for me.

I refuse to buy any games that have this new x number of installs B.S., and I refuse to buy content that has DRM that needs authentication over the internet. Praising the itunes/Steam model seems to be pretty common, but I won't put up with that either.

I will barely put up with Safedisc and the like (I eventually end up using the noCD crack for games I own, thanks hackers!).
Old 09-18-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC gaming has been dead for a long time as far as I'm concerned.

Not worth the hassle, consoles have caught up and surpassed the PC IMO.

Of course, it helps that I'm that into the kinds of games that are better on PC...
Old 09-19-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steam is the way to go. People bitched about it when it first happened because there were problems with the service... noone knew exactly what it was going to be like... and the big thing I think. Is that it dramatically changed how you could play an existing up to date game of halflife..

But now steam is perfect. I love being able to bring my games up on basically any computer. I just wish the consoles would have a system as smooth as steam. 360 is closest but you have to carry around a memory card with your profile or suffer through those horrendously long profile downloads. PS3 is reasonable, but I think you have a limit to how many times you can download a game on different systems. Wii is just awful, I dont think you can do anything with downloaded games.
Old 09-20-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Doesn't help, for sure. I was going to buy Spore until I found out about this and now I refuse. Sure, I'm only one person, but if there is one, there is more with the same viewpoint.
Old 09-20-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Doesn't help, for sure. I was going to buy Spore until I found out about this and now I refuse. Sure, I'm only one person, but if there is one, there is more with the same viewpoint.
That is the only reason I didn't buy it. I'm am really into the creating thing but screw it. Littlebig planet comes out soon I can go crazy on that.
Old 09-20-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
i could care less about drm in a game
Once I found out what it was, I felt the same way. Big deal if I can only install three times before calling EA. I rarely install games twice let alone three times.

The majority of those illegal downloads were people that actually bought the game and used their legit key with a pirated version. So it's win-win.
Old 09-20-08, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

I shudder to think of the number of times people have to reinstall their system due to trojan/virus threats defective hardware, bad installs ect ect.

with no assurance that in 5 years they'll let you activate again it basically means if you buy it you must download the cracked exe to ensure you'll be able to play it when you want to..
Old 09-22-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodyDrake
with no assurance that in 5 years they'll let you activate again it basically means if you buy it you must download the cracked exe to ensure you'll be able to play it when you want to..
Exactly. I like to own my games - not pirate them. But it was the game publishers that taught me how to do shady stuff so I could circumvent their ridiculous DRM just to play the game I legitimately purchased!
Old 09-22-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmm - looks like I'll have to take an image of my hard drive after I install and activate it. Wish I would have known about the DRM before I opened the box.
Old 09-22-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Hmm - looks like I'll have to take an image of my hard drive after I install and activate it. Wish I would have known about the DRM before I opened the box.
Huh? Why? You have 5 activations and their de-activation tool should be done in no time.

This kind of stuff sucks, but really, people blow everything out of proportion.
Old 09-24-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Talk about Spore's DRM on the official formus; get banned from the game.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54883

EA continues to shoot themselves in the foot over this whole issue.

I can understand the obvious problems if people were talking about breaking the DRM, but to ban any discussion of it and go as far as to ban their game accounts is pure idiocy.
Old 09-24-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
While that is completely absurd, don't you think it's a topic that could have been covered in your own previous Spore DRM thread?
Old 09-24-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Seems like an exaggeration of what would really get you banned. I doubt anyone actually would or have got banned just for mentioning it, rather those who continue to harp over and over about it. In that case, good riddance.
Old 09-24-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
While that is completely absurd, don't you think it's a topic that could have been covered in your own previous Spore DRM thread?
Old 09-25-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
Yep. Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 coming out soon and only for PC.
I realize you're contrasting against consoles, but Blizzard always simultaneously releases for Mac, as well (on the same discs). Diablo III and Starcraft II are no exception.
Old 09-25-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spore Class Action Lawsuit Filed

Despite making a recent concession to consumers, the Spore DRM saga doesn't seem likely to stop vexing publisher Electronic Arts any time soon.

In the latest development, Courthouse News Service reports that a class action lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court. From the CNS story:

Electronic Arts, a leading maker of computer games, defrauds consumers through its "Spore" game, which "completely wipes their hard drive" and replaces it with an undisclosed program that prevents the computer from operating under some circumstances and disrupts hardware operations, a class action claims in Federal Court.

The class claims that "Spore," a virtual reality simulation game, contains "a second, undisclosed program" called SecuROM, a "form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) for computer games."

Consumers are not warned about the program, which is installed without notice and cannot be uninstalled, even if the uninstall Spore, the complaint states. The secret SecuROM program is "secretly installed to the command and control center of the computer (Ring 0, or the Kernel), and surreptitiously operated, overseeing function and operation on the computer, preventing the computer from operating under certain circumstances and/or disrupting hardware operations," the complaint states.
Copy of the lawsuit here.
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/09/...over-spore-drm