Reload this Page >

Official PSN Games Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-28-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Well, I know we already have a Ratchet & Clank : Quest For Booty thread, but it seems to me with so many fun and quirky PSN games coming out, we need our own thread (even if it'll never be as active as the XBLA one).

I'm looking forward to The Last Guy this evening. Everyone should try that demo -- there really isn't anything else quite like it. Oh, and you should definitely play it with a Dual Shock 3 -- you're missing out on the experience if you use a sixaxis.

Anyone else get PixlJunk Eden? That looks like a lot of fun if you're willing to put in the effort. Does it hold up to repeated play or does it get old quick?
Old 08-28-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find myself playing PixelJunk Eden fairly often. It's a great game to hop on and play for 30 minutes or so. I'll grab a Spectra or two and then log off. It's a fun game, but I think I'd get bored playing for hours at a time.
Old 08-28-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PixelJunk Eden doesn't get old, it just gets so damn frustratingly hard that I honestly got sick of it for awhile. But I keep going back, I think the trophies has something to do with that though. I've completed 1-6 and 8, plus a few other goals, but it may be awhile before I finish the whole thing. It definitely sucks a lot of time away though.

I played The Last Man demo, and I really want to like it based on the premise, but it seems like it's just too basic or something. I really don't see very much depth, and I'm not sure yet whether I'll drop $10 for it. But after the Pixel Junk games, I spose it's hard living up...also need to pick up Super StardustHD at some point.

And PJ Monsters btw is the best IMO. Very fun, challenging, addictive...though in the expansion pack my little dude doesn't run anymore

And I tried the new 1942 - just pales in comparison to the originals, especially if you've ever owned the MVS cart for Strikers 1945 Plus or such. Pretty lame compared to those beauties.
Old 08-28-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait - you can make the pixeljunk monster dude run?
Old 08-28-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You're able to run by beating the first special levels in both the original and in encore.

I feel really bad that you didn't know that. I don't know how in the world I could play some levels without being able to run. I think you hold down the O button to do so.
Old 08-28-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Special levels? You mean the one where you get a limit on cash? I haven't bought the encore, as I can't beat the regular yet...perhaps being able to run is just the ticket!

I also wish I could carry over new purchases from one level to the next. It sucks saving up for a flamethrower then only having it for 1/2 the level
Old 08-28-08, 05:52 PM

There's special level 1, 2, 3 and maybe 4. They're sort of the endcap for each difficulty setting. But the first special level you get to on norman PJM gives you the ability to run once you beat it. Each special level typically has some kind of restriction or all the monsters come in one wave or the like.

But go beat that first special board and start running and that should help out on the other levels a lot.
Old 08-28-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
There's special level 1, 2, 3 and maybe 4. They're sort of the endcap for each difficulty setting. But the first special level you get to on norman PJM gives you the ability to run once you beat it. Each special level typically has some kind of restriction or all the monsters come in one wave or the like.

But go beat that first special board and start running and that should help out on the other levels a lot.
Oh so it's the same in encore? He seemed so slow after beating the first island with that help.
Old 08-28-08, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
Oh so it's the same in encore? He seemed so slow after beating the first island with that help.
Yes. Just like in the regular, in Encore, after you beat the first special level, you get to run. After the 2nd special level, I think you get the bombs. And so forth.
Old 08-28-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
I find myself far more interested in PSN offerings than actual retail releases. Here's my collection thus far.

PixelJunk Eden:
Current favorite. Very relaxing at this point and doesn't get old. Hop on grab a Spectra or two and log off. I'm only through 3 full gardens at this point and have trophies for them all.

High Velocity Bowling: bought this during the $5 sale and regret it. I guess it was worth checking out, but having WiiSports makes this a wasted purchase.

Pain: Dumb, stupid and fun. The concept is amazingly simple yet can end up sucking a couple of hours away like nobody's business. I hate that the game is piece-meal. Hopefully the new expansions are ultra cheap or free. I'd really like a second character, but I can't bring myself to actually buy one.

Everyday Shooter: I'm no Geometry Wars superfan, or even a twin-stick shooter fan, but I love this game. Everything about it is amazing. It's incredibly tough though. I'm up to starting with 6 lives and I still can't make it past level 5.

Flow: I know this game gets a lot of flak for being a non-game, but on multiple occasions I've put it on to kill a few minutes only to realize 45 have gone by.

Lemmings: An old school favorite. Looks pretty good in HD. Unfortunately my brain doesn't work the way it used to and I haven't made it very far into this version.
Old 08-28-08, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pain: Dumb, stupid and fun. The concept is amazingly simple yet can end up sucking a couple of hours away like nobody's business. I hate that the game is piece-meal. Hopefully the new expansions are ultra cheap or free. I'd really like a second character, but I can't bring myself to actually buy one.
The expansion will not be free. Reportedly $6.99 or less.

It's a day one purchase for me: more content in the expansion than in the original game.
Old 08-28-08, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Have you unlocked Ed the Cow? He's a free second character. I'm hoping that the expansion pack will include a free character with the new park.

Personally, I love Eden, Monsters, Stardust HD to an extent, Bionic Commando and am gearing up to love The Last Guy.

Plus, I'm looking forward to Fat Princess.
Old 08-29-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
I mainly just goof around in Pain so I haven't unlocked Ed the Cow. It's been a while but I think I've only gotten silver on each mode thus far. Maybe gold in one of them.
Old 08-29-08, 08:18 AM
Banned

I really like the PSN games I've grabbed as well. High Velocity Bowling, in my opinion, is light years better than the Wii bowling. It's amazing how few people realize that the PS3 controller has motion sensing until they come over and play. Even Wii owners walk away impressed with it.

Toy Home is also pretty fun. I like the "Honey I shrunk the kids" surroundings.

Has anyone else tried Pixel Junk Racers yet? It's like the old race tracks you had in the 80's where you just control the speed except you can change lanes in the game. Some fun battle modes as well.
Old 08-29-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Disagree about HVB being better than Wii bowling.

I like the art design and effort that goes into the PSN games, but other than Lemmings and Echochrome, I can't say I've really enjoyed all that many of em. Bionic Commando would be on there but since it came out first on the x360, I bought that copy instead.
Old 08-29-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
I love PJ Monsters. It's pretty challenging but I finally got the ability to run last night. I could barely get past some of the Easy levels... I have no idea how I'll fare on the Medium ones.

Anyone have Calling All Cars? I've read that it's pretty good but I don't see a demo anywhere.
Old 08-29-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm looking forward to The Last Guy this evening. Everyone should try that demo -- there really isn't anything else quite like it.
Have you ever played Pac-Man or Snake? That is what Last Guy reminded me of.

anyways, on PSN games I own:
- Elefunk: Pretty good game...almost need Engineering to do it. Although, some of the later levels game me headaches.
- Calling All Cars: Bought it on sale...was decent, but not great
- Flow: I hate it...got it on sale....seems pointless to me
- Quest for Booty: Yet to play...gameshared it with someone
- PAIN: Fun, pointless, fun. I enjoy it a lot
- High Velocity Bowling: Decent Bowling game, barely played it though...fun at times when I did
- Aquatopia: Neat screen saver...daughter likes fish

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 08-29-08 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-29-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Yes. Just like in the regular, in Encore, after you beat the first special level, you get to run. After the 2nd special level, I think you get the bombs. And so forth.
Ok thanks. Now I just have to get there lol, stuck on Easy 4 currently. This island is much tougher.
Old 08-29-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I love PJ Monsters. It's pretty challenging but I finally got the ability to run last night. I could barely get past some of the Easy levels... I have no idea how I'll fare on the Medium ones.
I thought that at first as well. But right now, I have one more to go for 100% rainbows on the first island.

And I agree with naitram, the second island is a lot tougher for those rainbows.
Old 08-29-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's my collection:

PixelJunk Monsters
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
flOw
Everyday Shooter
PAIN
High Velocity Bowling
Lemmings
Blast Factor
Hot Shots Golf 2

Will pick up Eden and The Last Guy very soon.
Old 08-29-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have
Pain: A lot of fun. One of those you don't care a lot but once you start playing you can't stop.
HVB: It looked like fun. I bought for $5 but I only played it the day I bought it.

That's it? I may have another one but I don't remember.
I'd like to have Tekken DR, is the same game for PSP and PS3 or do I have to buy 2 games?
Old 09-04-08, 12:54 AM

PAIN Amusement Park delayed, Trophies retooled to be easier

Trophy and PAIN addicts are going to have to wait a little bit longer. The Amusement Park expansion, originally due tomorrow, has been delayed to some time later this month. The reason behind the delay? Well, one part comes from the developers changing Trophy requirements. When the original Trophy list was unveiled, many complained that they were too challenging, and could only be accomplished by those that played the game constantly. "They began to resemble the tedious level grinds in MMOs and not the spoils for being good," the PAIN blog admits. "So we thought rather than making people play PAIN for the trophies, it might be a better idea to let people play PAIN because it's REALLY FUN and let the earned trophies come from that experience."

The revised Trophy list is available, after the cut.

Spoiler:

GOLD TROPHIES

King of Pain: Get All Downtown Trophies plus Trill and Grenade-a-Maid
Affliction Addiction: Get One 100 Million Points in Downtown (Change from 1 Billion)
SILVER TROPHIES

Harder Dick's Balls: Get all of Dicks Balls in the Block Party Dumpster w/o reset

Rodeo Clown: Use Ed to Explode 500 barrels in Clown Toss (Change from 5,000)
Ninja pwn: Hit the Target Stuffed Ninja in every Amusement Park Mode
2 Mill Club: Get "Pain in the Park" and "D-Town Destruction" (Change from 10 Mil)
Trill: Get Painful Bullseye Trophy with Scurv Dogg or Hung Lo add-on characters (Instead of Tosser)
BRONZE TROPHIES

Dude Abides: Use "The Dude" to score 30 Strikes in Bowling (Change from 50 Strikes)

D-Town Destruction: Get 2,000,000 score in Paindemonium and Aftermath (Change from 10 million)

Pain in the Park: Get 2,000,000 score in Abusement and After Hours (Change from 10 million)

Combo Mambo: Get 15x Combo in Paindemonium, Aftermath, Block Party, Demolition (Change from 20x)

Horsin' a Clown: Take the Clown for a ride on the Roller Coaster

Glutton: Make 30 "Eat It!" shots in "Call da Shot"

Constipated: Get 100 Strikes in Bowling (Change from 250 Strikes)
Pain and Mane: Play 100 Games of Trauma or Horse
Attention Spam: Get every type of PAIN (Groin, Head, Arm, Hand, Leg, Foot and Body) combo in Paindemonium, Aftermath, Block Party, Demolition.

Grenade-a-Maid: Get Exploded 200 times with any female launchable add-on character*(Change from 500 times)
Old 09-04-08, 01:01 AM

Lumines Supernova coming to PSN this Fall

A brand new PS3-exclusive version of the popular Q Entertainment puzzle game is coming. The game is titled Lumines Supernova and will be an e-distributed game -- just like the Xbox Live version.

This PSN game will be pretty much the same deal as previous Lumines games, but with new stages and modes. There are 40 skins to be unlocked in Challenge Mode, and there are a slew of news modes, including Dig Down Mode and Sequencer Mode. Dig Down appears to be a Lumines-inspired version of Dig Dug, while Sequencer Mode allows players to create their own background music using various sounds and loops

Spoiler:

I don't know. That looks a heck of a lot like the game I've already bought. Twice. No, actually Thrice.
Old 09-04-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only games I have bought are Flow and Pain. Enjoyed both a great deal. I am dying to get Eden but can never talk myself into it. The remote play is a bonus but I am just being cheap and dragging my feet.
Old 09-05-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've picked up Eden recently, and just bought Last Guy and Super Stardust.

Eden is good but like naitram said, it is extremely frustrating. The learning curve for the controls is steep, and very long. I can play usually 30 minutes or so before I start getting mad at the game. Slowly making progress.

Last Guy I like. It is a cross between Pac-Man and Snake. My only (big/major) concern is that sometimes the monsters are impossible to see.

I didn't think SSHD was all that great from the demo. It's not addictive as Geometry Wars (or fun/challenging as Mutant Storm) but it's a fun game.

I tried the Elefunk demo. Couldn't beat the first stage. The developers really need to look at Pontifes II / Bridge Construction Set if they want to know how to make a fun game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.