Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games that changed games following it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 05:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Games that changed games following it?

I did this in movie thread, but thought apropos of here too. As I'm going through the remake of RE2, i wonder and think the Resident Evil series as a game series probably revolutionized or start the horror survival genre. at least the first. i know there have many sequels and incarnations with various gameplay spread through almost all of them, but i think the first in series was heralded as a game that changed the genre going forward.

I think maybe Halo, even though FPS has been around much longer, but somehow (with story, style, play) that revolutionized games as well...
Old 01-27-19, 07:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Games that changed games following it?

Old 01-28-19, 07:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

guys, I know I'm right about Peggle 2, but the rest of y'all have to have some suggestions.
Old 01-28-19, 08:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I think Metroid (NES). I know there were side scrollers before it, but after the incarnations of this franchise it seemed everything was compared. And then the term Metroidvania style or something like that. All seem to get compared from its onset...
Old 01-28-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I dunno where to start, there are way too many (or maybe I'm misinterpreting this thread)

Platformer:
Super Mario Bros: savior of gaming, the basis of the modern platformer.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Super Mario 64: the 3d platformer

Roguelikes:
Nethack: sure Rogue is the original and where the name comes from, but Nethack is the first I remember playing. Roguelikes are like all the rage now, but the modern lineage is definitely due to:
Dark Souls: the modern roguelike. Punishingly difficult.

RPGs:
Dragon Quest 1: the birth of the JRPG.

FPS:
I'd say Goldeneye was the first really popular console FPS, paving the way for Halo and the like. But obviously FPS's go further back on PC, to Wolfenstein and Doom.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter 2 spawned an industry

I mean you could go on and on. GTA3 and the open world. Sim City, the Sims, Minecraft, Warcraft 2 to Starcraft, Diablo to Diablo 2. MMORPGs from Ultima Online to Everquest to World of Warcraft.
Old 01-28-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Kingdom Hearts 3
Old 01-29-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is way too open ended of a question and kind of a nonsensical one. The reason being is that you could interpret it a couple of ways. You could say a game was revolutionary, or you could mention games that built off of it and thus became revolutionary. For instance Double Dragon is pretty much considered the first side scrolling beat em up, but Final Fight set the standard that the genre followed, and Konami improved upon it and set a new standard when they started doing four player and six player cabinets and everyone followed suit(unless you include Gauntlet which had four players first.).Doom was the game that inspired and created all first person shooters, but Half Life became the template that FPS games followed, and then Halo upped it to the point that it became the standard bearer. Metroid did the exploration game first, but the genre didn't really take off until Symphony of the Night came out. Metal Gear Solid popularized stealth games in America, but you could make a very strong argument that Splinter Cell had more of an impact as the genre moved forward. Street Fighter 2 created the fighting craze , but Mortal Kombat popularized the violent fighting game genre, and Virtua Fighter and Tekken popularized 3-D fighting.

Last edited by robin2099; 01-29-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tomb Raider (2013) & God of War (2018)

Both games rebooted the franchises and changed the look and gameplay from the games that came before them.
Old 01-29-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I just read the title as basically "Influential games, and the contributions to their genre"

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I did this in movie thread, but thought apropos of here too. As I'm going through the remake of RE2, i wonder and think the Resident Evil series as a game series probably revolutionized or start the horror survival genre. at least the first. i know there have many sequels and incarnations with various gameplay spread through almost all of them, but i think the first in series was heralded as a game that changed the genre going forward.

I think maybe Halo, even though FPS has been around much longer, but somehow (with story, style, play) that revolutionized games as well...
Halo popularized regenerating health in FPS games, even though it had regenerating shields + underlying health, the core concept still caught on like crazy from there even though it didn't originate it.