Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PSN Games Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Official PSN Games Thread

Yeah, I put it into standby mode through the controller.
Old 02-03-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't realize that Xcom and a LBP Karting were still free for the PS3 Just "purchased" those.
Old 02-03-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
If you hold down the PS button on the controller for a couple seconds, you are given the option to enter standby mode or turn off the PS4.
I know this, I'm just not used to doing it before turning the TV off. One day I'll remember, hopefully. Still, it would be nice if you could have it go to standby mode automatically after some period of non-use (the way it'll power off automatically after 4 hrs)

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Didn't realize that Xcom and a LBP Karting were still free for the PS3 Just "purchased" those.
Yeah, those two and Uncharted 3 are on full year rotations. They'll go away with the next E3, I assume. I can already bet that PSASBR will be the next game that takes their place
Old 02-03-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know this, I'm just not used to doing it before turning the TV off. One day I'll remember, hopefully. Still, it would be nice if you could have it go to standby mode automatically after some period of non-use (the way it'll power off automatically after 4 hrs)
This exists on PS3. I know this because one time I paused a game before goign to the movies, thinking I could just unpause it when I got back, and the system was off and in standby mode. They really took this out (or just haven't gotten around to implementing it) on PS4?
Old 02-03-14, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

On the PS3, standby mode meant that you hadn't unplugged the system or flipped the switch on the back, but otherwise it was off. The PS3 could wake itself up to do some stuff overnight, but IIRC, that is prescheduled (i.e. I can set it to wake up at 4 AM, sync saved game and trophy info, download updates, and then go back to being off, but if an update came in at 3 AM, the PS3 wouldn't wake up until 4 AM to download it).

The PS4, OTOH, has two different settings for when it's not on: Standby and off. Standby means that it's not powered on, but can send power through the USB ports and can send and receive content online at any time. So it can upload saved game and trophy info, and download games when you're not at home. Specifically, if I purchase a PSN game right now, and tell the PS4 through the Sony website to download it, it will wake up right now and download it. No waiting for a prescheduled time. Then there's off, which means completely off, no power at all. If you press the power button on the face of the console, it turns completely off. If you hold down the PS button on your controller, it gives you the option to go into standby. You can set the PS4 to auto power off, but it goes completely off, not into standby.
Old 02-03-14, 08:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't wait to play Outlast with my new headphones and in the dark
Old 02-03-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
On the PS3, standby mode meant that you hadn't unplugged the system or flipped the switch on the back, but otherwise it was off. The PS3 could wake itself up to do some stuff overnight, but IIRC, that is prescheduled (i.e. I can set it to wake up at 4 AM, sync saved game and trophy info, download updates, and then go back to being off, but if an update came in at 3 AM, the PS3 wouldn't wake up until 4 AM to download it).

The PS4, OTOH, has two different settings for when it's not on: Standby and off. Standby means that it's not powered on, but can send power through the USB ports and can send and receive content online at any time. So it can upload saved game and trophy info, and download games when you're not at home. Specifically, if I purchase a PSN game right now, and tell the PS4 through the Sony website to download it, it will wake up right now and download it. No waiting for a prescheduled time. Then there's off, which means completely off, no power at all. If you press the power button on the face of the console, it turns completely off. If you hold down the PS button on your controller, it gives you the option to go into standby. You can set the PS4 to auto power off, but it goes completely off, not into standby.
I'm pretty much aware of all that, but I'm just surprised that a feature I have on the PS3 (to automatically go to standby after x minutes of inactivity) is not available on the PS4.
Old 02-03-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I'm pretty much aware of all that, but I'm just surprised that a feature I have on the PS3 (to automatically go to standby after x minutes of inactivity) is not available on the PS4.
There's a lot of shit the PS3 does that the PS4 doesn't, inexplicably. DLNA, for example.
But like how they might add DLNA support with a firmware upgrade down the line, they might add other features down the line as well.

Yoshida went on to confirm, "So as we speak, the teams in Japan and US - the systems guys - are discussing how and when we can put these features on PS4."

Last edited by slop101; 02-03-14 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, it's clear that Sony had some clear priorities for what they wanted to be functional on day one, and everything else is being added afterward.
Old 02-04-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outlast and Metro today, and I haven't even gotten to Bioshock or DMC yet. I also really wanted to finish Binary Domain. Really liked that game.

I really wish the DS4 worked a little better with the PS3, because it's really really hard to go back to that controller.

On OS stuff, I agree with SM that it's pretty clear Sony prioritized simplicity and stability in the short term, and everything we want will get patched in over time.
Old 02-04-14, 04:03 PM

Outlast Out Today: Survival Horror on PS4

+ Posted by Philippe Morin // Co-Founder, Red Barrels

Hello gamers! I’m Philippe Morin, one of the co-founders of Red Barrels. Our first game, Outlast, is coming to PS4 today, and I’m excited to share that those of you who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download it completely for free.

Outlast itself is a survival-horror game created by a team of 11 people with one common goal: to scare the *bleep* out of you.

Here’s the story so far…
In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, the facility was recently re-opened by the “research and charity” branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation. Taking advantage of the Asylum’s history and remote location, they’ve been operating in strict secrecy. That is, they were until the reporter arrived.

Acting on a tip from an anonymous source, independent journalist Miles Upshur has broken into the facility, and what he is about to discover inside will walk a terrifying line between science and religion, nature and something entirely other. Trapped with nightmares old and new, his only hope of escape will lie with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

So, in short, you’re a journalist who’s found himself in a very wrong place at the very wrong time. You can’t hope to defend yourself against the mutated patients of the asylum, so you have to sneak, run, and hide… or die. We’ve done our best to create a memorable roller-coaster ride, one that entertains, scares, and leaves you craving more.

In fact, one of the most fun things about watching players make their way through Outlast has been watching the terrified looks on their faces, so we decided to step things up a notch. Newly added on PS4 is a difficulty level we call “insane.” If you feel brave enough to pick this mode, you’ll have very low health, very few batteries, no checkpoints, and no chance to save your game. It’s do or die. Survive or start again.

So here it is – turn off the lights, crank up the sound, and hold tight to your controller, because true horror is coming straight to your console today.

We can’t help if you end up needing new underwear, but if you’ve got any comments or questions please post them below or poke us on Twitter or Facebook. We hope you enjoy the game!
Old 02-04-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm fine with horror movies, in fact, I don't ever get scared by them. Scary games, however, they have the potential to scare me, and I don't care for it.
Old 02-04-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm fine with horror movies, in fact, I don't ever get scared by them. Scary games, however, they have the potential to scare me, and I don't care for it.
Yeah!
Old 02-04-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Survival horror is one of my favorite genres, and Outlast makes me want a PS4 more than any other game released so far, including retail titles.
Old 02-04-14, 09:56 PM

Why don't you just play it on the PC? That's not a reason to get a PS4. In either case, it's a nice freebie to get on the day of release.
Old 02-04-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Apparently Outlast is a very short game. I'm reading about people finishing it in an hour or two.
Old 02-04-14, 10:19 PM

It's considerably longer if you count the time you have to spend trying to log into your PSN account to purchase the game.
Old 02-04-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why don't you just play it on the PC? That's not a reason to get a PS4. In either case, it's a nice freebie to get on the day of release.
I don't have a gaming-friendly PC, and since I'll undoubtedly end up with a PS4 eventually anyway, it makes more sense to "reserve" this one via PS+ for when I do.
Old 02-04-14, 10:40 PM
Banned by request

It's considerably longer if you count the time you have to spend trying to log into your PSN account to purchase the game.
Old 02-04-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

2 hours? I find that hard to believe. I spent maybe 45 minutes in it and don't feel like I made it all that far.
Spoiler:
turning on the generators

It's creepy as hell and reminds me a lot of Condemned, which is a good thing.
Old 02-05-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
Apparently Outlast is a very short game. I'm reading about people finishing it in an hour or two.
I've read that too. Maybe not on your first attempt, but I guess once you figure how to get by each section/enemy (on a second play through for example), you can run right through it and potentially finish the game in an hour.
Old 02-06-14, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Well, Outlast is pants-shittingly creepy, as expected.
Old 02-06-14, 07:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Being chased and knowing you have no way to defend yourself is scary as hell
Old 02-07-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
I've read that too. Maybe not on your first attempt, but I guess once you figure how to get by each section/enemy (on a second play through for example), you can run right through it and potentially finish the game in an hour.
No, it's closer to 4 hours even if you play straight through (saw a playthrough by TheRadBrad when I chickened out from playing it).
Old 02-07-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
No, it's closer to 4 hours even if you play straight through (saw a playthrough by TheRadBrad when I chickened out from playing it).
I saw a video walk-through of a guy doing it on "Insane" difficulty. Beginning to end in 1 hour 14 minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.