Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official PSN Games Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PSN Games Thread

Old 12-03-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Hmmm... I'm no die hard SHMUP fan but really dug Aegis Wing and have been wanting something along those lines ever since. That's pretty slow paced. How does it compare to that one?
Old 12-03-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Aegis Wing is definitely more fun, with more character and felt more fast-paced to me than Söldner-X. And AW was free, so there's that. But part of what hurt Söldner-X for me was it's sluggish controls on the PC, which may be completely different on a console.
Old 12-03-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Any game with two umlauts I buy, period. I've been waiting for Söldner-X ever since it was announced.

Spoiler:

Also, I think Eden is one of the hardest games I've ever played. The good news is that it does have a learning curve and eventually you do get better, but it's a hard, long, uphill climb.

I stopped playing it once Fallout 3 and LBP came out but I think I was in the Top 500 worldwide.
Old 12-04-08, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get the hate for Eden. I'm on garden 7 and have gotten every Spectra so far, and I'm just now starting to feel the difficulty pinch. Echochrome, on the other hand, is much more frustrating. White hot rage frustrating. And I've only done maybe 10 puzzles, tops.
Old 12-04-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,979 Likes on 4,083 Posts
I think there are three things that are really frustrating about echochrome. First the rules of the world sometimes seem inconsistant -- sometimes you'll think you can fuse two platforms and you'll find you can't. Second, the jump mechanic is off. It's sometimes impossible to tell where you'll land until you take a leap of faith. That can be pretty annoying. Third and most importantly, I hate the timer. There's no reason why the game kicks you out if you don't finish a level by some arbitrary time -- give me a penalty or a zero score, but to play a level for 10 minutes and then get kicked out just before completion is super-frustrating and seems to be a really bad decision by the game designers.

Having said all that, I still really like the game.
Old 12-04-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The timer is my biggest complaint so far. I redid one level 3-4 times before I finally got within an inch of touching the final 'dummy' marker only to have time run out a split second before he touched to end the level.
Old 12-05-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just downloaded a 63mb "update" (v2.05) for Pixeljunk Monsters.

I have no idea what it updated (no new levels, no setting update, no additional trophies), nor can I find any info online. I've had the trophy patch since the release in October.

Any clue what this was for?
Old 12-23-08, 11:50 PM

New update in the store. The big item is Lumines Supernova. I don't know how this version is different from previous ones. It's $14.99, which is $5 more than the XBLa version, but they do have the holiday skins for free and they're 400 points on XBLA, so that makes up the difference right there.

There are free downloads for High Velocity Bowling including a Turkey ball. Free character in Hot Shots Golf as well. Sumo wrestler for Pain for 99 cents.

Jeopardy dropped to $9.99 but I don't know if that's just temporary.
Old 12-24-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Jeopardy dropped to $9.99 but I don't know if that's just temporary.
It's permanent.
Old 12-24-08, 12:37 PM

Castlevania Chronicles and Suikoden have also been recently added to the PSone download section. I'll probably buy Castlevania tonight.

What does Lumines play like? I watched a few videos on Youtube and got a vague idea, but I didn't care for the concept of that horizontally travelling "beam." Is that a crucial part of the gameplay or is it only in a certain mode?
Old 12-24-08, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
What does Lumines play like? I watched a few videos on Youtube and got a vague idea, but I didn't care for the concept of that horizontally travelling "beam." Is that a crucial part of the gameplay or is it only in a certain mode?
Lumenes is friggin' awesome. In a nutshell, it's falling blocks like Tetris, but the blocks are all 2X2 and of two colors in any of the possible combos (1 red, 3 white squares, 2 red next to 2 white, checkerboard red & white, all white, ect). You try to make a solid block of one color and the larger the block you make, the bigger the bonus. The blocks don't clear instantly -- instead they clear by a sweeping vertical line that moves in time to the music. This can allow you to get better combos going if you hurry. The longer you play, the more "skins" you open with new backgrounds, block colors and music. I just love the game, even though I'm not at all good at it.
Old 12-24-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love puzzle games but just couldn't get into Lumines.
Old 12-24-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lumines is the best puzzle game since Tetris.
Old 12-24-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The timer is my biggest complaint so far. I redid one level 3-4 times before I finally got within an inch of touching the final 'dummy' marker only to have time run out a split second before he touched to end the level.
I have had this happen several times now. I usually figure out what I need to do the first time and can complete on the second try though. Thankfully Pixeljunk Eden will add a continue feature soon to kill some of the constant irritation I have with the timer in that game.

Getting Suikoden was an awesome surprise. Bring on the second one Sony. I hope they can start adding at least one PS1 game a week from now on.
Old 12-24-08, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Lumenes is friggin' awesome. In a nutshell, it's falling blocks like Tetris, but the blocks are all 2X2 and of two colors in any of the possible combos (1 red, 3 white squares, 2 red next to 2 white, checkerboard red & white, all white, ect). You try to make a solid block of one color and the larger the block you make, the bigger the bonus. The blocks don't clear instantly -- instead they clear by a sweeping vertical line that moves in time to the music. This can allow you to get better combos going if you hurry. The longer you play, the more "skins" you open with new backgrounds, block colors and music. I just love the game, even though I'm not at all good at it.
Hmm, alright, that's mostly what I gathered from the videos. I'm just not crazy about the hurrying... Always played my puzzle games on the lower speed settings since I like being able to think about setting up big combos and whatnot. It's too bad there doesn't appear to be a Lumines demo available other than for PSP, which I don't have. The lack of demos is one of the more glaring problems I have with PSN; I'd be a lot more willing to spend $10-$15 on some of the games if I could try them first.
Old 12-24-08, 08:58 PM

Yeah, the lack of demos is a big problem on PSN. I have no idea why they won't provide them on games where the XBLA version has one (like Lumines). It really makes no sense to me, but a lot of the things Sony has done make no sense to me. No question - The Last Guy would have totally tanked if not for the demo that let everyone see how great it was.
Old 12-24-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Hmm, alright, that's mostly what I gathered from the videos. I'm just not crazy about the hurrying... Always played my puzzle games on the lower speed settings since I like being able to think about setting up big combos and whatnot. It's too bad there doesn't appear to be a Lumines demo available other than for PSP, which I don't have. The lack of demos is one of the more glaring problems I have with PSN; I'd be a lot more willing to spend $10-$15 on some of the games if I could try them first.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11900/
Old 12-24-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Getting Suikoden was an awesome surprise. Bring on the second one Sony. I hope they can start adding at least one PS1 game a week from now on.
Suikoden was one of my favorite RPGs in the PSone era. Highly recomended, Suikoden 2 is my favorite RPG of that era, if not all time. Buy the first if you are a fan of JRPG.
Old 01-06-09, 12:32 PM

Re: Official PSN Games Thread

Has anyone tried out Crash Commando yet? It looks like it could be a lot of fun, but I'm just not sure without a demo out there.
Old 01-06-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Has anyone tried out Crash Commando yet? It looks like it could be a lot of fun, but I'm just not sure without a demo out there.
In the spirit of laziness, I'll repost something I wrote on another forum about the game:

"Just wanted to give a little love to Crash Commando, a recent PSN release. It's a pure online deathmatch sort of game where you control a little soldier in a "red vs. blue" war. You can either play standard deathmatch or two types of objective games. There's a good selection of weapons, and some maps have vehicles. Everything controls well and it's a very funny, over-the-top experience. So far I've only played against bots as I learn the basics, but I'm planning to jump into the online play once I finish the tutorial bot levels.

It's $10, and unfortunately there's no demo. I'd recommend at least checking out the trailer on the PSN. If you're not sold on the game, Sony tends to have fairly regular sales, so you might be able to snag it for $5 at some point down the road."
Old 01-06-09, 03:25 PM

That's my idea -- wait for the next $5 sale and snag it then.
Old 01-06-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like a prime candidate for a future PSN sale and I would highly recommend it at the $5 price level.
Old 01-08-09, 05:27 PM

Two puzzlers up on PSN today for $10 each.

Cuboid
<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/5afbcf34" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/5afbcf34" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

Mahjong Tales
<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/7ad29e36" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/7ad29e36" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" name="viddler" ></embed></object>

Cuboid looks like a must (the gameplay mechanics remind me of the Dreamcast's Lost Golem game, which I loved) and I could be swayed into buying Mahjong during a sale. I tried Lumines and disliked it immensely, so I'm really in the mood for a puzzle game I can enjoy.
Old 01-09-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely want Mahjong. Love playing Mahjong solitaire games so its a must in this package.
Old 01-13-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just as a follow up re: PJE

PixelJunk Eden Patch Coming, Encore Version Will Follow
Smoother controls and more forgiving time limits.
by Ryan Clements

January 13, 2009 - If you've been having trouble navigating the surreal, colorful gardens of PixelJunk Eden, you're in luck. On the official PixelJunk site, details are outlined regarding an upcoming patch that already saw a release in Japan. Expected to hit the U.S. this Thursday, January 15, 2009, the PixelJunk Eden patch should alleviate some issues that beginners are having with the "organic platformer." According to the site, the patch will implement a continue system for when you run out of time, a new control scheme, more time on the level clock and also a smoother multiplayer camera.

Furthermore, President and Executive Producer of Q-Games Dylan Cuthbert announced on the PlayStation Blog that an Encore version of PixelJunk Eden is in the works. We'll have details on that when more information becomes available.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/944/944735p1.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.