Reload this Page >

Official PSN Games Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PSN Games Thread

Old 01-24-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Re: Official PSN Games Thread

So, so good. Works WAY faster than on the PS3 (and is especially good for folks who are currently without a PS3 ). Figures this comes out just two days after I clone my account on a teenager's PS3. Anyway, it's such a good site, I went ahead and grabbed Hot Shots OOB Complete even though all I really needed was the DLC. For that price ($6.25), I figured I'd just get the bundle -- it's a classic game after all.

Glad I splurged on a 750 GB drive; it looks like I'll need it.
Old 01-24-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That OOB DLC just adds mainly costumes and only 2 new courses right?
Old 01-24-13, 08:09 PM

Yea. Two new courses, costumes and a few new playable characters. Nothing earth-shattering or essential, but the DLC courses run $5 each. I figure the DLC alone is worth six bucks and I could probably trade my original disc in for a few bucks.
Old 01-27-13, 09:48 AM

New PS Plus deal : Buy a new 12 month subscription for $49.99 and get three bonus months Free until 3/4/13. Not applicable with 12 subscription cards.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...EARPACKAGE0000

Not the best deal in the world, but since we almost never see PS Plus deals, it's worth considering.
Old 01-27-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm due for renewal on 2/3. I'm going to jump on this.
Old 01-27-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grabbed a $37 year subscription on eBay and signed up. Should pay for itself over the next 15 months.
Old 01-27-13, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
New PS Plus deal : Buy a new 12 month subscription for $49.99 and get three bonus months Free until 3/4/13. Not applicable with 12 subscription cards.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...EARPACKAGE0000

Not the best deal in the world, but since we almost never see PS Plus deals, it's worth considering.
Worked with my 1 year sub card.
Old 01-27-13, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by flair
Grabbed a $37 year subscription on eBay and signed up. Should pay for itself over the next 15 months.
It'll pay for itself way before that. PS Plus is the best deal in gaming.

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Worked with my 1 year sub card.
Even better. I was just reporting what they said on CAG. Too bad I already redeemed my latest subscription card (bought for $35 using a coupon fromBest Buy's CoD issue of @Gamer), but I'm always nervous to hang onto an activated but unredeemed PSN card since they're only 12 characters long. It's not likely, but I always get nervous that someone somewhere is plugging codes into a machine.
Old 01-27-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierMike
I'm due for renewal on 2/3. I'm going to jump on this.
Same here. Thanks for posting the deal.
Old 01-27-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Of course my subscription had to be up LAST month. I should've used the 1 month card that I had from Journey Collector's edition instead of my 1 year card that I picked up during the Target 14.39 misprint.
Old 01-28-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Can someone explain to me the idiots on Ebay posting $50 face value cards for $58. Why would anyone pay more than face value??
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Someone who doesn't live near a store that sells cards and doesn't want to provide Sony/MS with their CC information.
Old 01-28-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Really?? I guess...

Seems to me there is a Walmart or Target near almost everyone.

Or
http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Pl...2&keywords=psn

for that matter. Instant.

Last edited by Wolf359; 01-28-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Sub cards will work? I'd like to get BB points for the purchase if I can.
Old 01-28-13, 12:26 PM

Sweet PS Plus update for this week. A full Vita game I don't already have!
Looks like I'll be needing a bigger memory card already though.

BTW Section 8 Prejudice is a very solid game and well worth the $5 sale price.
Old 01-28-13, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Can someone explain to me the idiots on Ebay posting $50 face value cards for $58. Why would anyone pay more than face value??
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4-jsqZQ4OOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
They're for folks outside North America (like me) who want to buy content on US PSN. Having said that, I was cheated on eBay a while back so I would suggest going with an established service like MaximusCards or others.
Old 01-28-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_D
They're for folks outside North America (like me) who want to buy content on US PSN. Having said that, I was cheated on eBay a while back so I would suggest going with an established service like MaximusCards or others.
That's what we call the Patriot Tax.

Old 02-04-13, 11:26 AM

Sweet PS Plus Freebie this week, albeit one that Europe is getting as well.

PlayStation Plus Update: Guardians of Middle Earth Free; Karateka 50% Off

+ Posted by Morgan Haro // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Welcome to this week’s PlayStation Plus update, where we’re excited to bring news that the Guardians of Middle Earth MOBA greatness will be coming free to PS3 for PS Plus members! If you’ve never tried this unique genre that’s taking the gaming community by storm, give Guardians of Middle Earth a download and see what all the excitement is about. While you’re at it, check out a handful of discounts on some pretty amazing games you may have missed out on for both PS3 and PS Vita.

Friendly reminder: The deal is on through March 4th: purchase a one-year membership of PS Plus and get three bonus months free. Current members can stack this value on to their existing membership as well. Learn more about the offer here, or click the link below to go to the SEN online store.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus, or just want to add more time to your existing membership? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access via the Sony Entertainment Network online store.

February 5th PlayStation Plus Update

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ouc53MSrUuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Guardians of Middle Earth (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members (Original Price: $14.99)

Take up arms in the clash over Middle-earth with the most powerful heroes from the greatest fantasy epic of all time. Form alliances with and against friends and jump into the wildly popular Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) gameplay. With 20 iconic guardians from Middle-earth, and new guardians coming all the time, it’s the perfect time to get lost in the multiplayer fray in epic 5 versus 5 battles.

Karateka (PS3)

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $9.99; PS Plus price: $5.00)

A beautifully simple premise with a fun pick up and play fighting system, Karateka blends old school gameplay charm with fluid combat animations and gorgeous backdrops and music to provide an amazing adventure with a ton of replay value. Are you skilled enough to rescue Princess Mariko with the fighting finesse of her True Love? Or will you need the power of the burly brute to topple the opposition? For more on Karateka, check out PS.Blog’s post from Assistant Producer Heather d’Evelyn.

Big Sky Infinity (PS3 and PS Vita – Cross Buy Enabled)

40% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $9.99; PS Plus price: $5.99)
Big Sky Infinity is a lightning-fast, randomly-generated game that adapts to how you play; which means, it’s never the same game twice. You pilot a spaceship that’s flying straight into an alien armada. The further you progress, the harder it gets, with giant bosses, streams of enemies, and unique events that shift the gameplay to keep you on your toes. It’s Cross Buy enabled, so this purchase will get you a version to play on both your PS Vita and PS3. Check out more Big Sky Infinity from the game’s director James Whitehead.

Knytt Underground (PS3 and PS Vita – Cross Buy Enabled)

40% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $9.99; PS Plus price: $5.00)
Knytt Underground tells a quirky and strange tale that’s set in the future, hundreds of years after the humans disappeared from the planet. Sprites, fairies and various other lifeforms roam tunnels in the underground. With a curiousity about their origin and the meaning of life, they strike out to find those answers they try to understand the ones who had obviously figured it out: the humans. It’s a beautiful adventure with a vast environment to explore and story driven quests that will keep you hooked. Read more about Knytt Underground in the PS Blog’s post featuring the Creative Director Nicklas Nygren.
Pollheader
What’s your favorite content from this week’s PS Plus update?

Old 02-04-13, 12:31 PM

Also a month-long 50% off sale for everyone from Namco:

PlayStation 3

RIDGE RACER 7: 3D License Version – $9.99
NAMCO MUSEUM ESSENTIALS – $4.99
NOBY NOBY BOY – $2.49
ONE PIECE: PIRATE WARRIORS – $24.99

PlayStation Vita

RIDGE RACER – $12.49
TOUCH MY KATAMARI – $12.49

PSP

SOULCALIBUR: Broken Destiny – $19.99
TEKKEN 6 – $19.99
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja Impact – $19.99

DLC

ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON DLC – prices vary from $1.99 to $7.49
Dark Souls: Atorias of the Abyss – $7.49
ONE PIECE: PIRATE WARRIORS DLC Pack – $7.49
Old 02-04-13, 06:18 PM

And even more sale stuff:

Twenty-five years ago, our company launched a game called Final Fantasy. It was the result of a lot of hard work and dedication. It was also the start of a franchise that would go on to capture the hearts of millions of players around the world.

As we celebrate Final Fantasy’s 25th anniversary, we look back on a series that contains 14 installments, numerous spin-off games, and all sorts of merchandise. We are always impressed by the love our fans show for this franchise.

To celebrate this amazing milestone in the history of Final Fantasy, we’re putting a number of Final Fantasy titles on sale on PlayStation Network, starting when PSN updates tomorrow. For two weeks, the following titles will be on sale in PlayStation Store for 50% off.

PSP
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - $10
Dissidia Duodecim Prologus Final Fantasy - $1.50
Dissidia Final Fantasy - $10
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions - $5
FINAL FANTASY IV: Complete Collection - $10

PS1 Classics
Final Fantasy Origins - $5
Final Fantasy V - $5
Final Fantasy VI - $5
Final Fantasy VII - $5
Final Fantasy VIII - $5
Final Fantasy IX - $5

We hope you enjoy these classic titles — the memories they evoke, and the new memories they will create.
For anyone with a PSP or a Vita and who doesn't already own it, let me say that FF IV Complete for $10 is an insanely good deal.
Old 02-04-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might have to bite on FFIV complete.
Old 02-05-13, 12:28 AM

Any thoughts on Karateka or Knytt Underground? I remember when they were released and downloading the demos but never being inspired enough to play them. Worth checking out?
Old 02-07-13, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Any thoughts on Karateka or Knytt Underground? I remember when they were released and downloading the demos but never being inspired enough to play them.
I don't think you did. Neither demo is available. I'm on the fence as well.

From the PS Blog:

Rocketbirds for PS Vita Launches on February 12th

+ Posted by Sian Yue Tan // Producer and Studio Head

Hello again! I’m happy to announce that Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken for PS Vita will be available very soon for download on PSN — February 12th, in fact!

The game is already available in Asia, where it was bundled with the PS Vita over Christmas, while it was also available exclusively to Asian PS Plus members. Since then, it became one of the top three most-downloaded PS Vita games on the PSN Top 10 PS3 and PS Vita Games in December list in Hong Kong, which is awesome!

In this game, you’ll take control of Hardboiled Chicken, the original Cock of War (a chicken so tough, he survived being boiled as a fetus), to lead the rebellion against the draconian penguin oppressors to overthrow their hold on Albatropolis! It’s an old-school cinematic action-adventure set in the Rocketbirds universe, a world filled with some despicable and often violent birds.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/76PB78yg4N0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The game sports jetpacking sections, stab-action in the Hardboiled difficulty setting, mind controlling brainbugs, some pretty nifty PS Vita controls, sweet music videos and an Ad-Hoc / Online cooperative mode with its own separate campaign!

There’s something tragic about the idea of flightless birds. So if they did grow to man-sized proportions, and they possessed the technical know-how, I’m sure they would build jetpacks and mini helicopter packs for aerial navigation and zeppelins with big screens in order to expunge their oppressive propaganda. We hope you’ll enjoy the game’s jetpacking stages!

The stab-action forms part of the Hardboiled difficulty setting, where Hardboiled gets limited ammo, a deagle and an uzi, but one very large knife. To do this correctly, you’ll need to use the weapons icon, which is located at the top right of PS Vita’s front touchscreen. Tapping the icon will auto-switch you between your last two weapons so you can quickly switch between the knife and your gun to close the gap between Hardboiled and the Penguin that’s trying to shoot you. You can also slide this icon to cycle between the weapons in your inventory, or open up your inventory with the d-pad. In Hardboiled mode, you’ll also need to defeat a different end boss than in Normal mode… but I feel I’ve given too much away now.

Everyone knows that Penguins are highly allergic to mind-controlling Brain bugs. If you obtain these, you can throw them at the feet of Penguins to make them do terrible – but useful – things for you.

The single player game takes you through 15 chapters of Penguin destruction. For PS Vita, we wired the screens to the built-in motion sensors, so you can tilt the detailed, non-scrolling screens at will.

In the tenth chapter of the co-op campaign, you and a friend can choose two of the six Dirty-Half-Dozen Budgie Commandos to go and rescue the General’s daughter, who has been bird-napped by Penguins in Albatropolis. Of course, you’ll be able to connect with a friend via Online or Ad-Hoc mode for cooperative play.

To thank the guys and gals who already own the PlayStation 3 version of the game, we will be offering a discount on the PS Vita version. You’ll also be able to unlock the new Sniper Budgie if you downloaded the PS3 demo, along with the new Agent-H Budgie (based on Herwig Maurer, the guys behind the sci-fi rock band responsible for all the music used in Rocketbirds) if you purchased the PS3 version of the game. Agent-H budgie is wielding a custom Photon Blaster – with sound effects created by H himself!

Personally, I really liked Rocketbirds. It was a fun, dumb action platformer. Nowhere near as brilliant as Shadow Complex, but still somewhat reminiscent of that game. I guess I'd have preferred it if this Vita game were cross-buy with the old PS3 game, or free with PS Plus like it was in Asia, but at least giving it at a discount is pretty fair. I imagine that it will be a fine downloadable game for the Vita, ideal for short-bursts of play.
Old 02-07-13, 08:34 PM

I just went back through my transaction history and do have a Karateka demo but not a Knytt Underground. Maybe the Karateka demo isn't available anymore?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.