DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: Official PSN Games Thread

Outland and Bloodrayne added to the Playstation Plus freebies tomorrow:

Old 08-15-12, 12:34 PM

So I tried the Papa & Yo demo last night. I'm torn... It's a gorgeous looking game with a unique art style that's quite impressive. It's sort of a puzzle platformer. But despite being a fairly meaty demo, it really wasn't all that fun or compelling. Now I admit, you don't get to play with Monster, which I think changes things quite a bit, but until that point the puzzles weren't challenging and the story isn't compelling. I liked the demo, but not enough to get the game, even at the $9 it would end up costing me after the rebate. Maybe it'll be free on PS Plus someday (half of last year's Play promotion is already).
I love the Monster allegory for child abuse. That's very clever. I just don't think the gameplay itself is all that great.

Did love the "hint boxes" though. If you get stuck, you can find these cardboard boxes, put them over your head and see that on the panels inside the puzzle solutions are pretty well spelled out for you. What a neat idea!
Old 08-19-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Against my better judgement I picked up Bloodrayne: Betrayal this week. I remember reading when it came out last year that it was hard. I love the cartoonish art style and it's tough to pass up a free game, but damn this game is sadistically difficult. The end of level 5 must have taken me at least fifty tries to get past.
Old 08-20-12, 03:39 PM

I agree about Bloodrayne. It's brutal and frustrating. At least you got it for free. I spent $12 on that game in the PLAY promotion last year.

Here's some news on an ....interesting new PSN excusive:

Tokyo Jungle finds a nest in North America September 25

by JC Fletcher Writer RSS (3 hours ago)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MQw2qyhZSxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sony only kind of announced Tokyo Jungle for North America at E3, but now we have an official release date for the animal survival adventure: September 25. The price is $14.99, which is much, much cheaper than the ¥3,900 ($49) asking price in Japan.

In case you missed our coverage, Tokyo Jungle is an oddly fascinating game in which you control one of 50 different animals – ranging from a chick to a dinosaur – trying to survive, find food, and mate in a ruined, post-apocalyptic Tokyo. A story mode takes you through the lives of a set of animals "whose lives are intertwined as they struggle to survive in the Tokyo wilderness, while unraveling the mystery of mankind's disappearance." In Survival Mode, you stay alive for as many generations as you can, hunting (or foraging), claiming territory, and avoiding larger predators.
Old 08-27-12, 03:25 PM

Playstation Update for the next two weeks:

It’s been quite a week for PlayStation Plus since the last time we chatted. Earlier we announced that Plus will be coming to PS Vita and that it will also be getting an upgrade in Online Game Save storage (from 150MB to a beefy 1GB). We’ll have news for you on when these will hit and what these updates will be all about soon enough; until then, let’s take a look at some of the great discounts coming in at the end of the month, and let’s welcome PS3 Full Game Borderlands into the Instant Game Collection in September! It’s a lot to take in so without further ado, let’s get into the preview for the August 28th and September 4th PlayStation Plus updates.

August 28th PlayStation Plus Update

Lights, Camera, Party!

50% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $29.99, PS Plus Price: $15.00)

The essential party game for PlayStation Move owners is getting a giant discount for PlayStation Plus members. Fast-paced, funny, quick to set up, social and full of a variety of mini-games, challenges and Trophies, you’ll find an incredibly fun experience each time you play. Only one PS Move controller is needed to get everyone in on Lights, Camera, Party!

Space Channel 5: Part 2

40% off the Sale Price for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Sale Price: $4.99, PS Plus Price: $2.99)

If you have yet to experience a Space Channel game, this is a great chance to do it. Space Channel Part 2 was released last year on PSN and took the remarkable rhythmic gameplay and charming story of the original Space Channel, and improved upon it in every way. It’s a steal at $2.99 for Plus members.

Spelunker HD (Game and DLC)

50% discount for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: $5.00)

A widely considered classic is remade in HD and is now on the ultra cheap for Plus members. Explore underground worlds, collect treasures, and fend off enemies with Spelunker HD’s addictive gameplay rooted in old-school gaming concepts. While you’ll find the game on sale at $5.00, you can also snag the game’s all new DLC hitting with this update for about $1 a pop. You’ll find all new areas and stages to download if you’re craving more of that Spelunker HD action.

September 4th PlayStation Plus Update

Borderlands

Free for PlayStation Plus Members; Add-Ons 50% off

Just in time to get set for the release of Borderlands 2 on September 18th, we’re happy to deliver the original Borderlands free for Plus members! Visit the wasteland planet of Pandora and embark on a quest for the elusive Vault. Featuring extensive co-op integration that seamlessly blends the single-player and multiplayer experiences, Borderlands allows players to freely join or leave each other’s games at any time for collaborative mayhem or the freedom to choose to play in full single-player mode to experience the world on their own. Borderlands also includes a groundbreaking weapon generation system that offers a near infinite variety of weapons to the player. Borderlands combines these features with addictive non-stop action to form a breakthrough experience that challenges the conventions of modern shooters and RPGs. We’re also throwing a sale on all the remarkable Add-Ons for Borderlands as well for 2 weeks. They will be all 50% off, including amazing expansions like Zombie Island and New Revolution. Or grab the Add-On Bundle for 50% off as well.

Daytona USA

40% off the Sale Price for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Price: $4.99, PS Plus Price: $2.99)

Get your rolling start ready and pick up SEGA’s Daytona USA for only $2.99. The original game, redone in HD delivers the classic racing experience, and brings in new features including online play.

Greed Corp

50% off the Sale Price for PlayStation Plus Members (PSN Sale Price: $4.99, PS Plus Price: $2.50)

Greed Corp is an award winning, innovative turn-based strategy game, situated in a world inspired by the industrial revolutions and their destructive effects on the environment. Find the delicate balance between harvesting the land for resources and preserving it to stay alive. Will you defend your territory or sacrifice it to keep it out of enemy hands?

That’s it for now; check the PlayStation Store Updates for more details as they come, and we’ll see you again soon to deliver more PlayStation Plus goodness through September and beyond. See you in the comments!
Old 09-05-12, 05:43 PM

In what has to be the most minor of minor news, I just discovered that the folks at Sony have decided to retroactively make StarDrone a cross-buy game. If you previously purchased it for one system, you now hove the other version for free. It wasn't that way when the game came out, but to get both version for $3.99 is a good deal, even if I think the game itself is really nothing too special.
Old 09-06-12, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went to download Zen Pinball 2 and saw that the original table pack is free as well as the Marvel original pack, both under Zen Pinball 2 Add-Ons.

The original table pack might have always been free. And I'm not sure if the Marvel pack is coming up free because I got Marvel Pinball through Playstation Plus. But as far as I can tell, while Marvel Pinball may end with my subscription, it doesn't look like the Zen Pinball Marvel unlock will. I could be wrong about all of this, and this could also be old news to everybody, but I just discovered it. The cross-play with the Vita will be nice as well.
Old 09-06-12, 08:37 AM

Both packs were PS Plus freebies in the past. They will only show as Free to those who purchased the packs in the past. They will revert to demos once your PS Plus subscription expires.
Old 09-06-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Went to download Zen Pinball 2 and saw that the original table pack is free as well as the Marvel original pack, both under Zen Pinball 2 Add-Ons.

The original table pack might have always been free. And I'm not sure if the Marvel pack is coming up free because I got Marvel Pinball through Playstation Plus. But as far as I can tell, while Marvel Pinball may end with my subscription, it doesn't look like the Zen Pinball Marvel unlock will. I could be wrong about all of this, and this could also be old news to everybody, but I just discovered it. The cross-play with the Vita will be nice as well.
I found this out yesterday when I downloaded ZP2. I know both packs were free to PS+ users at one time, Zen Pinball (9/2010) and Marvel Pinball (12/2011). When I imported my tables it found both sets and also downloaded the unlocks, and PS Vita versions. I didn't pay attention to the unlock expiration date so that's cool if it's not tied to the PS+ account.

I played a little bit this morning on the Vita trying the landscape/portrait views to see which I preferred (landscape by a small bit, I like the R/L flippers more than the touch screen ones in portrait). I'm interested in trying out the 3D mode on the PS3 version (IGN stated "3D options that actually enhance the game (the depth of field is priceless and highly recommended)") so I have to take the PS3 upstairs or bring the Sony display downstairs.

I only have 2 or 3 friends that have played (any tables) on PSN so far, so I need to add some more people to my friends list. I think I'm going to pick up the PvZ table any others that are recommended?
Old 09-06-12, 09:28 AM

The 3D is amazing. I think part of it is because it's only one surface so you're not overwhelmed with all the layers and movement. I didn't realize ZP2 came with it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

To me, 3D on TV and games is a gimmick, watch it once, and put it back. But this is a rare time where I probably won't play it any other way.
Old 09-06-12, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Edison
I found this out yesterday when I downloaded ZP2. I know both packs were free to PS+ users at one time, Zen Pinball (9/2010) and Marvel Pinball (12/2011). When I imported my tables it found both sets and also downloaded the unlocks, and PS Vita versions. I didn't pay attention to the unlock expiration date so that's cool if it's not tied to the PS+ account.
It is. At least the Unlock code is.

I only have 2 or 3 friends that have played (any tables) on PSN so far, so I need to add some more people to my friends list. I think I'm going to pick up the PvZ table any others that are recommended?
I'll send you a Friend request.
Epic Quest is amazing. I just re-bought it (had the 360 version) so I could play it on the Vita. Such a great table. I also like Captain America a lot. Excalibur is a good table. Sorcerer's Lair is fun, especially for kids. And the Avengers pack is worth every penny of the $10 cost.
Old 09-06-12, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by sydonesia
The 3D is amazing. I think part of it is because it's only one surface so you're not overwhelmed with all the layers and movement. I didn't realize ZP2 came with it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

To me, 3D on TV and games is a gimmick, watch it once, and put it back. But this is a rare time where I probably won't play it any other way.
Oh man, I haven't even tried the 3D. Guess I'll give that a shot when I get home.

I said it in the Pinball thread and I'll repoeat it here : Zen Pinball 2 is soooo good. Especially if you own a Vita. I'm bringing mine to work every day so I can play at lunch.
Old 09-06-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is Zen pinball on PS3 different from Pinball FX on 360?
Old 09-06-12, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Is Zen pinball on PS3 different from Pinball FX on 360?
Not really, but it has a 3D mode. And there is the four core tables which are exclusive (Tesla, El Dorado, Shaman, V12) and one exclusive DLC table available (Ninja Gaiden Sigma). Of course there are tables for FX2 that aren't available on ZP2 (the original 4 Pinball FX tables, the four core Pinball FX2 tables, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Ms Splosion Man).

The biggest difference is the free Vita versions that come with the ZP2 purchases.
Old 09-06-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I really want Tesla and Ninja Gaiden. Maybe ZP2 is a good enough reason to finally buy in, though I'll never own a Vita. It would be nice if Zen had its own online ID to merge scores and friends lists across all platforms.
Old 09-06-12, 12:05 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the NGS table, but that Tesla table is really great -- easily the best of all 12 "core" tables. I like Shaman a lot as well.
Old 09-06-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't realize the original pack had been free for us +ers as well. That explains it. Was hoping we got lucky with a non-expiring unlock code.
Old 09-06-12, 04:25 PM

I'd already paid for it, of course. But it turns out getting the Marvel tables for free from PS+ turned out to be a good thing (even though I already had them on the 360) now that they're available on the Vita. They're not the best tables (though Spider-Man is pretty fun), but the more tables available for me on the go, the better. But seriously, fuck that Iron Man table. I hate it.
Old 09-07-12, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by sydonesia

Yeah, you're right. It is amazing in 3D. I think the reason it works so well when it clearly doesn't (or is just an unnecessary gimmick) in most games is that unlike most game genres (which are pure fantasy), pinball actually exists in 3D space. Yes these tables are fantasy as well, but the act of looking down and into the 3D space of a pinball table is natural. It gives you a better perception of speed and ball physics in 3D. I played a great game of Infinity Gauntlet last night and the multi-level set-up was just so much better in 3D mode. Playing pinball upside down in 3D was quite a trip, though.
Old 09-12-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I bought a PS+ 3 month thing just so I can get Jet Set Radio early. Such a great game.
Old 09-22-12, 08:18 AM

Playstation Plus members get the Single Player campaign of Starhawk for Free on Tuesday. The full game will be $39.99 for everyone and the Multiplayer only version will be $19.99 for everyone. The Blog repeatedly mentioned something else awesome from Starhawk for PS Plus members coming in a week so "stay tuned".
Details here
Old 09-24-12, 04:21 PM

A little update here on tomorrow's Drop:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...eek-discounts/

Starhawk SP, all of its DLC, and Hell Yeah/Tokyo Jungle for $12 each for PS+ this week:

Originally Posted by Playstation Blog
Plus continues to get better and better with online game save storage increasing to 1GB last week as well as new details on Plus for PS Vita. Now its time for Starhawk’s single player campaign to join the Plus lineup of amazing free content for members. With this, and other great deals on new release titles, it’s easy to see why Plus members continue to enjoy the best deal in gaming. But enough talk, have at you!

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or click here to get access.
September 25th PlayStation Plus Update

Starhawk (Single Player Campaign Only) and All Add-Ons

Free for PlayStation Plus Members

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZW2gM6h7Qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starhawk is arriving for download on PSN with tomorrow’s PlayStation Store Update and it’s coming with options: You can download the Single Player Campaign, or if multiplayer is more your speed, you can elect to download just that mode. And of course, you can also snag the entire game with all modes included. Plus members get the complete single player campaign free with their membership as well as several bits of Add-On content. If you like what you play, don’t forget to pick up the multiplayer mode! It’s also a great time to get in on the MLG Starhawk $20,000 tournament happening soon. Head over to the Starhawk MLG site for all the rules and details!

In addition, we’re throwing in all the Starhawk Add-ons for Plus members! That includes every multiplayer skin, every vehicle paint scheme, the new Grizzly Exo-Rig and the Pod Cannon, even the game’s bombastic soundtrack; it’s all free for Plus members. Watch for tomorrow’s PlayStation Store update to see the complete item breakdown.

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit

20% discount for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $14.99, PS Plus Price: $11.99)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qGgt6_lgHM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you haven’t had your eye on this new PSN release, you need to check out the above trailer. You’re an angry rabbit with a thirst for vengeance, a super sawing jetpack driller and some seriously badass weapons. Explore, jump, shoot, loot, upgrade, drill and destroy Hell’s monsters. ALL OF THEM. Get it with a first week discount through PlayStation Plus.

Tokyo Jungle

20% discount for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $14.99, PS Plus Price: $11.99)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zasefwWK5fA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It’s the experience gaming site Polygon hailed as the game that has “inspired more breathless updates to friends and coworkers than any game in recent memory…”. It’s that crazy, and it’s that good. With more than 50 playable animals to choose from, unleash your inner beast to hunt your way to the top of Tokyo’s post-apocalyptic food chain. Whether in Story or Survival Mode, you never know where your next meal will come from or the dangers you’ll face, so be prepared for anything and everything.

Last edited by Decker; 09-24-12 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-27-12, 02:35 PM

According to IGN, (but not the PS Blog yet) if you spend $100 total in the month of October in the PSN Store, you'll get a $20 rebate to your wallet. That is a pretty decent deal if you were planning to grab some games anyway (or a lot of Rock Band content on that system). I'll be holding off on Tokyo Jungle until next week to get credit for that purchase.

Okami HD comes out on Oct 30 for $19.99. That's a Day 1 purchase for me.
And there's this nutty paper dolphin game that seems like it'll be worth the $8 they're charging.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H_iel96h5ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-28-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Wound up joining PSN Plus just for Borderlands Figured I could spend $20 and buy the game or just get a PSN+ Subscription for a little while. Also snagged Double Dragon Neon for nostalgia sakes, it feels similar to the original games but with more titty slippage. I may go ahead and do the PSN+ w/ $50 credit deal.

Infamous 2 and LBP 2 are nice freebies, though I don't have much interest in either.
Old 09-29-12, 01:06 AM

Not actually official yet, but apparently NFL Blitz will replace Borderlands in the Instant Game Collection for PS Plus in October next Tuesday. Game is a little dated with last year's rosters, but the demo was fun. For "free", I'm certainly happy to grab it.

Also Alex Kidd & the Miracle World will be on sale for $1 instead of the usual $5.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.