Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PSN Games Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official PSN Games Thread

I'm contemplating Savage Moon, NHL 3-on-3, and Wipeout. Gotta try the Savage Moon demo out.
Old 07-16-09, 05:41 PM

Crash Commando looks fun, might grab that. Already have Wipeout, PJE and NHL.
Old 07-16-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just picked up Savage Moon and Crash Commando. Already have Eden.

Thinking about Wipeout. Maybe maybe Flock.
Old 07-16-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Already have Eden, not sure if I'm interested in any of the rest. I'm sort of interested in Wipeout HD, but $15 is still more than I want to pay for it.
Old 07-16-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't savage moon a fancy shmancy tower defence game? If so, I'm probably happier with PJM. Still can't get fucking rainbows on most stages.
Old 07-17-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just seen the email for the sale, anyone have any first hand with Crash Commando? I've read a couple reviews that recommended it, I may have to try the demo. I played the Flock! demo on PC so I may pick that one up as well.
Old 07-17-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried the Savage Moon demo and liked it. I never got into PJM quite as much as everyone else seemed to, and I like the Starship Troopers aesthetic in Savage Moon, so I dropped $5 on it.

I tried the Wipeout demo, thought it was way too tough and not much fun, so I passed.

As for NHL 3-On-3, I'm going to wait a bit and hope we see it for $5 on XBLA at some point. Just personal preference, but I like the 360 controller more.
Old 07-17-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
isn't savage moon a fancy shmancy tower defence game? If so, I'm probably happier with PJM. Still can't get fucking rainbows on most stages.
Savage Moon may look harder, but I had an easier time "rainbowing" every level on this game. I had to cheat on a couple PJM levels.
Old 07-17-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Damn, I thought for sure Soldner-X would have made the next sale.
Old 07-17-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Super-expansion to Wipeout HD is called Wipeout HD Fury and it will come out July 23 and will cost $9.99. Not cheap by any means but it sounds pretty deep with new game modes as well as new tracks and ships. Glad they put Wipeout HD on sale this week before the expansion comes out, but wish it were 50% off like every other game on sale.

Story and video here.

Last edited by Decker; 07-17-09 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

With that expansion, Wipeout HD is as big and high-quality a game as any full retail game - actually, much more so than the average game. It is also one of the best looking games on the PS3 - top 5, easy. $25 for the whole thing is a steal.
Old 07-18-09, 02:23 AM

Okay slop, you talked me into WipEout HD. I've been waiting on it for ages and then was disappointed that even on sale it's not cheaper, but yes it is pretty spectacular for a PSN game. It looks amazing and plays better than previous Wipeout games I've had in the past. I'm sure that super-steep learning curve will kick in for this game soon enough though...
Old 07-18-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When WipEoutHD first came out, even the easy difficulty setting was crazy hard, but they patched that up after a few months and it played a lot more fairly. But it still got pretty hard at about half way through the tournaments.
Old 07-18-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Picked up Savage Moon (impressed by the demo) and Wipeout HD. Contemplated Crash Commandos, but the demo didn't really win me over. Is it more dependent on online play?
Old 07-19-09, 09:39 AM

Yes, it's really an online 2-D deathmatch. I don't play it much, but it's pretty fun and at $5, I think it's worth it.
Old 07-22-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So does Trine come out this week on PSN, or next week?

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=52763"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=52763" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

I appreciate that it's $20 on PSN as opposed to $40 on the PC, but when you compare it to something like Shadow Complex, which looks like it gives you so much more for $15, it doesn't seem like such a great deal.
Old 07-23-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I picked up Savage Moon because I liked the demo too. It's definitely worth 5 bucks, but by the midpoint of the second moon, there are major problems, IMHO.

1. The flying enemies. I don't see a way to predict their path or block them, which means I have to try a level, see where they go, usually fail, and then set up my antiair towers on my second try. Am I missing something here?

2. Towers can be destroyed by enemies, and later on by enemies with projectiles. Which means that instead of doing the traditional tower defense strategy of planning their path and lining up defenses, you're better off just building a wall of defense around your base with repair and amp towers clustered tightly together, and forgetting about the rest of the map.
Old 07-23-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
So does Trine come out this week on PSN, or next week?
I posted this in the PS3 thread, but it really makes more sense here.

Still no release date for the PSN version of Trine.

The official reply to comment #4 at the European Playstation Blog (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/...#comment-11636) says:

I just want to manage expectations here, at the moment it does not look like we’ll have Trine on the store for next week.
I hope that only applies to the EU and not to the US release.
Also, I think it's $30 on Steam, not $40.
Old 07-23-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I picked up Savage Moon because I liked the demo too. It's definitely worth 5 bucks, but by the midpoint of the second moon, there are major problems, IMHO.

1. The flying enemies. I don't see a way to predict their path or block them, which means I have to try a level, see where they go, usually fail, and then set up my antiair towers on my second try. Am I missing something here?

2. Towers can be destroyed by enemies, and later on by enemies with projectiles. Which means that instead of doing the traditional tower defense strategy of planning their path and lining up defenses, you're better off just building a wall of defense around your base with repair and amp towers clustered tightly together, and forgetting about the rest of the map.
1) I usually put anti-air near my base. I may not know their path, but I know where they're going. Keeping the ground attack near spawn points means you won't have much overlap.

2) I had the best luck in the later moons with the strategy you state: forget most of the map and just super-concentrate your towers in one or two defensible positions...also mostly near your base.

Most maps have a number of routes to your base. If you use a blocking tower (or two) to cut off the "short" route, they usually leave the blocking tower alone and just take the longer route. Obviously, a longer route means more chances to attack them and more area with towers to do so.
Old 07-23-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
It is also one of the best looking games on the PS3 - top 5, easy.
Funny you say that. I think WOHD and Flower might be the two best looking games on the system, and both are PSN only.

Uncharted is pretty impressive too though.
Old 07-23-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up Savage Moon as well but haven't really scratched the surface yet. I wish they'd had the summer sale titles from last year as well. I was hoping to get PJ Monsters and The Last Guy for cheap.
Old 07-23-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
1) I usually put anti-air near my base. I may not know their path, but I know where they're going. Keeping the ground attack near spawn points means you won't have much overlap.

2) I had the best luck in the later moons with the strategy you state: forget most of the map and just super-concentrate your towers in one or two defensible positions...also mostly near your base.

Most maps have a number of routes to your base. If you use a blocking tower (or two) to cut off the "short" route, they usually leave the blocking tower alone and just take the longer route. Obviously, a longer route means more chances to attack them and more area with towers to do so.
Yeah, I started putting up anti air near my base... but when there are a lot of them, some will get through unless you upgrade them or have a bunch. Still seems a bit broken.

And it seems like the bugs will ignore the blocked path, until the amount of resistance you put in the "free" path is too much.. then they'll start chomping through your walls. By that time, usually most of your defenses are along the path they no longer use.
Old 07-23-09, 05:07 PM

Castle Crashers coming to PSN at some point:

http://devblog.thebehemoth.com/?p=1353
Old 07-23-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I decided to pull the trigger last night on Wipeout HD and ...............

I can't believe I even hesitated .... this game is a thing of beauty

anyone who has ever enjoyed a Wipeout game owes it to themself to get this game (even at a higher price now that the sale is over)
Old 07-24-09, 12:06 AM

Anyone get the expansion yet? I just got the original and I'm tempted...

Shattered got a great 9.0 review on IGN. It's $7.99, and I don't know if that's an introductory price (like Monsters was originally) or whether that's MSRP.

For those bemoaning XBLA getting MvC2 a few weeks before PSN, I'd like to point out that part 2 of Watchmen End is Nigh will be coming to PSN next Thursday and not to XBLA until after the Summer of the Arcade is done at the end of August. The two PS3 Watchmen games and the Blu Ray movie are currently available together in stores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.