Reload this Page >

Amazon starting release date delivery on certain games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-26-08, 03:47 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a blurb about this at 1up. Good to know for those that like their games immediately. It costs $6, strangely cheaper than two-day or overnight shipping. It's "free" for Amazon Prime peeps. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169582

Amazon has announced that they will now be offering release day delivery for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Fable 2, and Gears of War 2. During checkout, customers can choose to upgrade their shipping to 'Release-Date Delivery' for $5.98 to guarantee that they get the game on the day it comes out, while Amazon Prime customers will receive the upgrade for free.

For those looking to order a new release from the web and play it the day it's released, this is the best deal we've seen. In comparison, ground shipping (three-plus days) from GameStop is $5.99, two-day is $6.99, and overnight is $9.99. The other options for Amazon customers are the free super saver shiipping (five to nine days), standard shipping for $4.49 (five business days), two-day shipping for $8.98, and one-day shipping for $15.48.
Fable 2 LE is on sale right now at Amazon for $66.99 for those that purchase LEs.

Last edited by Flay; 08-26-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 03:59 PM

Oh how I love Prime! Too bad with the NYC tax though still.
Old 08-26-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I imagine they must have done really well with the Madden release being delivered "day of" which probably inspired them to do this for other games.
Old 08-26-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll keep my super saver and see how much difference in speed there is
Old 08-26-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
They've actually been doing this for a while. Besides Madden, I think there's at least a couple of other "release date" games that they offered (Soul Calibur IV maybe?)
Old 08-26-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmmm - this could be a nice change from the usual, which is the game hasn't even shipped on release day.

Seriously, I don't know if it's my region or not, but I've had to cancel many pre-ordered games from Amazon as they had not even entered Shipping Soon on the day of release. And these are pre-orders I had in for months and months.

At least it sounds like this won't be the case with TFU.
Old 08-26-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
I'm going to take the glass is half empty stance. The regular shipping isn't that bad. I can see them getting into a situation where they start holding orders that don't pay for this 'upgrade.'
Old 08-26-08, 04:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Fable 2 LE is on sale right now at Amazon for $66.99 for those that purchase LEs.
Wow...I was originally going to get the regular edition, but for only 7 bucks more -- why not?
Old 08-27-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MJG87
Oh how I love Prime! .
Same here. I went in for the DOR shipping for STFU and can't wait to get my hands on the whole game! I have it coming on PS2/PS3 & PSP so, the kids & I will be busy for a minute or two! Before you ask, the kids play on the PS2 and the PSP and the PS3 are solely my domain.