Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Old 07-03-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I think it is gonna be at least another amazon type character.
The problem with that is the male version of an Amazon is.......? A barbarian is it not?
I loved the Amazon but I never played the archer skills. I always used the javelin skills. Loved the poison javazon.

I doubt there will be a necromancer because of the witch doctor. I hated the necro with a passion.
That does concern me about the witch doc. But hes not a full necro and that may not appease the necro lovers. Will see how they flesh out his skills and such. The locusts spell is just hilarious to me.

The necro was a character you either loved or hated. Once I became aware of how powerful he was he was awesome. Controlling an entire party of skels or undead was sweet. You could just sit back and watch them unleash mayhem.

They need to the paladin. I am gonna say the three other classes will be:

Paladin/Knight
Amazon type character
Good mage/sorcerer
Definately agree on a Knight class and mage class.

Another class that would work would be a Monk to replace the assassin. The assassin was a neat idea until I started playing her. Then she just felt out of place in the Diablo world. If she had been more ancient/classic Ninja I think she would have been more in character with the Diablo universe. Instead it felt like they dropped in a leftover from the Street Fighter series.
Old 07-03-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The assassin was my favorite class. I had leveled up a pretty rockin' assassin.
Old 07-03-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played through as a Paladin and then when the expansion came out I played though again as an Assassin.
Old 07-03-08, 09:25 AM
Banned

The three most basic classes for any swords-n-sorcery game are a melee fighter, a ranged fighter, and a pure wizard. All other classes are in essence mixtures of these three base classes.

The barbarian covers the melee fighter class.
The amazon would be the ranged fighter, but there is the problem stated by another poster that a male amazon doesn't make sense. Bringing back the rogue class from D1 would make more sense.
Of course, there just has to be a pure wizard or sorcerer. D1 and D2 both had them.

The witch doctor is a new class that will most likely replace the necromancer.
I think the fifth class will probably be another brand new class, so that we have three oldies and two newbies.

So my guess for classes in D3:

1) barbarian
2) rogue or some other ranged fighter
3) wizard or sorcerer
4) witch doctor
5) new class.... I am hoping for a vampiric class personally.

I am guessing there will later be an expansion that adds two or three more classes as well. D1 and D1 both had expansions that did this.
Old 07-03-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
The three most basic classes for any swords-n-sorcery game are a melee fighter, a ranged fighter, and a pure wizard. All other classes are in essence mixtures of these three base classes.

The barbarian covers the melee fighter class.
The amazon would be the ranged fighter, but there is the problem stated by another poster that a male amazon doesn't make sense. Bringing back the rogue class from D1 would make more sense.
Of course, there just has to be a pure wizard or sorcerer. D1 and D2 both had them.

The witch doctor is a new class that will most likely replace the necromancer.
I think the fifth class will probably be another brand new class, so that we have three oldies and two newbies.

So my guess for classes in D3:

1) barbarian
2) rogue or some other ranged fighter
3) wizard or sorcerer
4) witch doctor

I am guessing there will later be an expansion that adds two or three more classes as well. D1 and D1 both had expansions that did this.
I am also hoping for a new class, but I could see it going both ways. They keep the old school classes because thats the ones everyone likes or are use to and then when they release expansion 1, 2, 3, etc they add the new classes.
Old 07-03-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also hoping that they alter the skills/abilities and skill tree somewhat for each gender. If its just a visual change then they are missing some details there I think.

A female would think, learn, adapt, and react differently than her male counterpart. The skills/abilities and trees should reflect that.
Old 07-03-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
I know its silly but every time someone mentions a vampire class I immediately think of either Dracula, Count Chocula, or The Count.
Old 07-03-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kelkee
I know its silly but every time someone mentions a vampire class I immediately think of either Dracula, Count Chocula, or The Count.

1 class...ha ha ha...2 classes...ha ha ha...3 classes...ha ha ha...4 classes...ha ha ha...5 classes...ha ha ha, yes 5 classes.
Old 07-03-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kelkee
I'm also hoping that they alter the skills/abilities and skill tree somewhat for each gender. If its just a visual change then they are missing some details there I think.

A female would think, learn, adapt, and react differently than her male counterpart. The skills/abilities and trees should reflect that.

That would be pretty sweet.
Old 07-03-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I am so conflicted about this. On one hand I am so excited about the prospect of another Diablo game. On the other hand, I don't have anywhere close to the amount of free time I had when I last played Diablo 2. I was so obsessed with the game. I am afraid I will be sucked in again.
Old 07-04-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Bring it on, baby!

Time to dust off my Diablo 2 gift set.
Old 07-04-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Bring it on, baby!

Time to dust off my Diablo 2 gift set.

All my friends got back into it since it was announced. I just can't bring myself to play again. I am gonna wait until D3 comes out I think. I still have a stack of games to play.
Old 07-06-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Wasn't there a mod to display Diablo 2 at 1600x1200 or something?

I hear yah on the play time. I can still remember playing Diablo 2 and the Desert area was such a pain in the ass. Not to mention the amazon rainforest pigmy maps.
Old 07-07-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a pretty funny article

The Internet Hates Diablo 3
Old 07-07-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dead link.
Old 07-07-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF, ahh it was auto removed, (must think I am spamming). It is on **************.com. It is currently on the front page but if not just search for "The Internet Hates Diablo 3"
Old 07-07-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
This is a pretty funny article

The Internet Hates Diablo 3
That is a GREAT article. I felt just like that guy. I thought that everything I saw in the preview was great. I only found out AFTER that viewing that there was a big hoopla over the look of the game. I think it looks amazing and definitely doesn't look cartoony.

I can't really speak to the new class, though. I *usually* play as a Barbarian/Warrior/Fighter/Paladin when I play these types of games to start off with simply because I am familiar with that type of gameplay a lot more than Necros, etc..
Old 08-23-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts
I watch the gameplay footage of Diablo 3 off the latest PC Gamer magazine demo disc and I must say WOW!!. This game is going to be awesome, the graphics are amazing. They only show the barbarian and witch doctor so far and I'm definetly going to play the witch doctor, he such a bad ass character. Unfortunetly my computer is pretty much ancient right now and I don't think the game well run on my computer. Guess I be saving my money for a new one, but I got time since the game won't come out till 2011.
Old 09-04-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Kind of a cool timeline on the site.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/timeline.xml
Old 10-13-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I got to play around with this at Blizzcon and enjoyed the small taste of the game that was available. I played through Diablo 1 way back when it was first released, and only played a smidgen of D2 so i'm not the biggest Diablo fan to compare games. Still, I had fun running through each of the 3 classes. The Barbarian was pretty straight forward and basic melee, so running around at level 5 was kind of boring, and the dude moves slow so it wasn't really anything unique.

The new Wizard class is pretty fun, with some fancy spell effects from the get go. Balance obviously wasn't really there, since she just powered through all the creeps without a problem but I really dug the abilities I got to try. The Witchdoctor is also really cool, and the spells were actually really fun just to see and play with, especially raising a pet and hitting it with either poison frogs or fire to give it that effect.
Old 10-13-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This will be the game that I upgrade my 5 year PC for. D2 is my number one favorite game of all time. D3 looks really good. I just hope we see it in 2009.
Old 07-22-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Diablo III to be announced this week

Is this the latest thread for Diablo III?

Is there any new news on this? Any speculation on a release date?

I am a gamer at heart, but usually only have time about once a year to get involved in a video game. Diablo III will be my exception when it comes out. I can't wait.
Old 07-22-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No release date yet. Still in pretty heavy development.

Expect to hear something more solid in October when BlizzCon happens.
Old 07-22-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is easily my most anticipated PC game coming out in the next year or two. Only one that even remotely close is Civ5.
Old 07-22-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys. I figured there would be more chatter about it, even though it is still in development. I'll keep an eye out for news from BlizzCon.

I really hope they don't have the characters go away if you don't use them for a month. When I eventually stopped playing Diablo II many years ago, I may have revisited it if my characters were still there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.