Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Old 06-30-08, 10:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
One thing I'd like to see in multiplayer is points in the story where you have to split up the party in order to complete certain objectives. In D2, you'd see a lot of occasions where people would just tag along and not contribute. This would force them to step up their game -- and it would add some variety to the game.
Old 06-30-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Love the classic days of joining someones party to try and get some awesome weapon and the second it drops you grab it and log off.
Dont know if you are serious here or not. But either way this only encourages the worst playstyles and selfishness. And you see how well that turned out for D2 now? Its a bot filled, cheating, PK-fest. The good/great players are loooooooog gone.

Isnt it interesting that when Blizzard decided to be "hands-off" on these types of things where players are left to their own choices the game turned out this way? The good players that actually want to play the game should not have to tolerate this mess in D3.

I believe they have left D2 as it is so they can see exactly how these cheaters operate, and incorporate new security into D3.
Old 06-30-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
One thing I'd like to see in multiplayer is points in the story where you have to split up the party in order to complete certain objectives. In D2, you'd see a lot of occasions where people would just tag along and not contribute. This would force them to step up their game -- and it would add some variety to the game.
That would be interesting. Having party specific quests.

I hated when party members did nothing but fire off a few shots and then steal loot. Thats why there should be a tool to boot people out of your game.
Old 06-30-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kelkee
That would be interesting. Having party specific quests.

I hated when party members did nothing but fire off a few shots and then steal loot. Thats why there should be a tool to boot people out of your game.
Then the problem is asshat party leaders that boot their whole team after they beat a boss and he gets all the loot.
Old 07-01-08, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it isn't that hard to institute a voting system.
Old 07-01-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
Then the problem is asshat party leaders that boot their whole team after they beat a boss and he gets all the loot.
There are going to be players who do not want to play fairly or who just want to hose people for fun. Right now the good players have no recourse but to put up with it or not play.

There just needs to be better tools available so legit players can play properly w/o having to put up with idiotic gameplay.

Every version so far of online Diablo play has turned into a haven for bots, spammers, cheaters, and hacks.
Old 07-01-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont know if you are serious here or not. But either way this only encourages the worst playstyles and selfishness. And you see how well that turned out for D2 now? Its a bot filled, cheating, PK-fest. The good/great players are loooooooog gone.

Isnt it interesting that when Blizzard decided to be "hands-off" on these types of things where players are left to their own choices the game turned out this way? The good players that actually want to play the game should not have to tolerate this mess in D3.

I believe they have left D2 as it is so they can see exactly how these cheaters operate, and incorporate new security into D3.
That is not cheating, it is just knowing how to play the game. Same with PKing, can't help it is allowed. You can't bash the players because these things are allowed. Now actual cheating I would condemn, using bots or whatever.

I think the good/great players are the ones who know how to use the game to there advantage. After all, once you have been through the game twice or more, it isn't about the story anymore, its about you.
Old 07-01-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are going to be players who do not want to play fairly or who just want to hose people for fun. Right now the good players have no recourse but to put up with it or not play.

There just needs to be better tools available so legit players can play properly w/o having to put up with idiotic gameplay.

Every version so far of online Diablo play has turned into a haven for bots, spammers, cheaters, and hacks.
That is because Blizzard doesnt actively monitor or get rid of cheaters anymore. Why would they on a game that is 8 years old that does not make them money anymore? When it first came out it was pretty free of cheating or bots on the secure stuff. If they did catch someone they were removed pretty quickly.

But like I said above you cannot bash the people who know how to play the game as it was designed. Bash Blizzard, not the player.
Old 07-01-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bash Blizzard, not the player.
So is this a VGTalk version of "don't hate the playa, hate the game"

Either way, it is like Xbox Live. You will always have people who want to trash talk and play unfairly. Hopefully, like Live, these folks can gather in the Underground and harass one another. Or i can leave feedback so i don't have to play with those folks again.
Old 07-01-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-01-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the good/great players are the ones who know how to use the game to there advantage. After all, once you have been through the game twice or more, it isn't about the story anymore, its about you.
True. After the 3rd time thru you should know what you are doing. You should be focused on your play style and skills and getting better loot. But we all know the game is really about finding the best loot, not about killing monsters. Monsters just provide you a means to getting the loot. They are just in the way really and the faster you can get rid of them the faster you can get your loot.

You really dont even need to build up your skills. Loot gives you pluses to everything. I had several chars that I never even used all their skill points on. There was no point really. The loot gave you all the bonuses you needed.

This is something they need to rebalance in D3.

Not sure what you mean by "using" the game.

Finding secrets and easter eggs is one thing. Making maphacks, taking advantage of flaws in code, trying to trick the game etc. is something else.
Old 07-01-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, there still might be more to come... just got this in my inbox:
around 4:30 I guess something is said about unannounced stuff, i didn't check it though.

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/vide...rob_pardo.html
Old 07-01-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I played D2 90+% of the time in password protected games. The few times I didn't I met enough people that weren't dicks that we added to our password protected game. Therefore, didn't have any of the issues with cheaters, pkers, etc.

When I did play in an open game, it was obvious in about 10 seconds if people were dicks, and I left.

I did leave after a bit anyway because at some point you've made every type of character, and you're just killing the same stuff over and over as fast as you can to try for a good drop. It was fun till then though, and I don't need one game I can play forever, so I can hardly wait for D3.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-01-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Apparently, there still might be more to come... just got this in my inbox:
around 4:30 I guess something is said about unannounced stuff, i didn't check it though.

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/vide...rob_pardo.html
Not much, just that there's another team working on an unannounced game and Diablo 3 isn't the next-gen MMO that Blizz is hiring for.
Old 07-01-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I did leave after a bit anyway because at some point you've made every type of character, and you're just killing the same stuff over and over as fast as you can to try for a good drop. It was fun till then though, and I don't need one game I can play forever, so I can hardly wait for D3.
Im looking forward to the initial experience. Its going to be great initially. But what they intend to do to keep the long term play viable will be interesting.

Once you complete the storyline the thrill of hunting for treasure only lasts so long. And since everyone did this to death in D2, D3 needs to add something more.
Old 07-01-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You really dont even need to build up your skills. Loot gives you pluses to everything. I had several chars that I never even used all their skill points on. There was no point really. The loot gave you all the bonuses you needed.

True story.

I had 2 characters pretty much through DII.

My main character..then my MF character
Old 07-01-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
True story.

I had 2 characters pretty much through DII.

My main character..then my MF character
True. I think at the end of its run just about every one in D2 had a MF character and about 10 mules. Heh!
Old 07-01-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
True. I think at the end of its run just about every one in D2 had a MF character and about 10 mules. Heh!

For some reason, loot grinding in D2 was much more rewarding for me than it was in WOW.

Maybe it was the time investment? I could do 2-3 runs of the major bosses and cow level in like a hour. Baal, diablo, meph and moo.
Old 07-01-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some reason, loot grinding in D2 was much more rewarding for me than it was in WOW.

Maybe it was the time investment? I could do 2-3 runs of the major bosses and cow level in like a hour. Baal, diablo, meph and moo.

I agree, but for me it was because it was at a much faster pace. Like you said.
Old 07-02-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes. Its a more casual game. Its takes the best parts of an RPG and presents them in an arcade style. Fighting foes and getting good loot. The character builds are just there for variety and added depth.

The fun of the Diablo game is smashing up stuff and getting rewards.

MMORPG's take alot of time investment. There is too much 'work' to do to get to the fun/good stuff.
Old 07-02-08, 09:19 AM

User Friendly is having some fun w/ this

www.userfriendly.org

Old 07-02-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am waiting for Penny-Arcade to come out with there D3 comics.
Old 07-02-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any ideas on what the other classes will be?

Male and female version so far:
Barbarian/Barbarianess? (or Amazon?)
Witch Doctor/Witch Doctress?

Probably will be a magic caster of some kind: Sorcerer/Sorceress.
A Knight of some kind. ?/?
And hopefully the return of the Necromancer/Necromancess?. One of the best classes in the game.

BTW just what is the difference between a Witch and a Sorceress? The style of dress?
Old 07-02-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any ideas on what the other classes will be?

Male and female version so far:
Barbarian/Barbarianess? (or Amazon?)
Witch Doctor/Witch Doctress?

Probably will be a magic caster of some kind: Sorcerer/Sorceress.
A Knight of some kind. ?/?
And hopefully the return of the Necromancer/Necromancess?. One of the best classes in the game.

BTW just what is the difference between a Witch and a Sorceress? The style of dress?

I think it is gonna be at least another amazon type character. I doubt there will be a necromancer because of the witch doctor. I hated the necro with a passion. They need to the paladin. I am gonna say the three other classes will be:

Paladin/Knight
Amazon type character
Good mage/sorcerer
Old 07-02-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit. It's obvious I'm out of the loop, but I just found out today that Diablo III is coming out. Diablo II was my absolute favorite non-single player PC game ever. If it is equally as good as Diablo II, I will be very happy.

There goes any substantial DVD watching for about 4 months.

AND THE HEAVENS SHALL TREMBLE!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.