Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-08, 10:12 AM   #126
Groucho
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 69,486
One thing I'd like to see in multiplayer is points in the story where you have to split up the party in order to complete certain objectives. In D2, you'd see a lot of occasions where people would just tag along and not contribute. This would force them to step up their game -- and it would add some variety to the game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 10:30 AM   #127
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Love the classic days of joining someones party to try and get some awesome weapon and the second it drops you grab it and log off.
Dont know if you are serious here or not. But either way this only encourages the worst playstyles and selfishness. And you see how well that turned out for D2 now? Its a bot filled, cheating, PK-fest. The good/great players are loooooooog gone.

Isnt it interesting that when Blizzard decided to be "hands-off" on these types of things where players are left to their own choices the game turned out this way? The good players that actually want to play the game should not have to tolerate this mess in D3.

I believe they have left D2 as it is so they can see exactly how these cheaters operate, and incorporate new security into D3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 10:45 AM   #128
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
One thing I'd like to see in multiplayer is points in the story where you have to split up the party in order to complete certain objectives. In D2, you'd see a lot of occasions where people would just tag along and not contribute. This would force them to step up their game -- and it would add some variety to the game.
That would be interesting. Having party specific quests.

I hated when party members did nothing but fire off a few shots and then steal loot. Thats why there should be a tool to boot people out of your game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 02:05 PM   #129
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee
That would be interesting. Having party specific quests.

I hated when party members did nothing but fire off a few shots and then steal loot. Thats why there should be a tool to boot people out of your game.
Then the problem is asshat party leaders that boot their whole team after they beat a boss and he gets all the loot.
__________________
XBL Gamertag: edstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 06:09 AM   #130
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Well it isn't that hard to institute a voting system.
__________________
Her clam does taste like honey though. Now honey I LOVE. That alone makes her awesome in my book. - Slayer2005
Xbox Live:Wowous
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 07:59 AM   #131
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein
Then the problem is asshat party leaders that boot their whole team after they beat a boss and he gets all the loot.
There are going to be players who do not want to play fairly or who just want to hose people for fun. Right now the good players have no recourse but to put up with it or not play.

There just needs to be better tools available so legit players can play properly w/o having to put up with idiotic gameplay.

Every version so far of online Diablo play has turned into a haven for bots, spammers, cheaters, and hacks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:03 AM   #132
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee
Dont know if you are serious here or not. But either way this only encourages the worst playstyles and selfishness. And you see how well that turned out for D2 now? Its a bot filled, cheating, PK-fest. The good/great players are loooooooog gone.

Isnt it interesting that when Blizzard decided to be "hands-off" on these types of things where players are left to their own choices the game turned out this way? The good players that actually want to play the game should not have to tolerate this mess in D3.

I believe they have left D2 as it is so they can see exactly how these cheaters operate, and incorporate new security into D3.
That is not cheating, it is just knowing how to play the game. Same with PKing, can't help it is allowed. You can't bash the players because these things are allowed. Now actual cheating I would condemn, using bots or whatever.

I think the good/great players are the ones who know how to use the game to there advantage. After all, once you have been through the game twice or more, it isn't about the story anymore, its about you.
__________________
DVDs: SomethingSexy
XBL: Cletus Van Dame
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:05 AM   #133
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee
There are going to be players who do not want to play fairly or who just want to hose people for fun. Right now the good players have no recourse but to put up with it or not play.

There just needs to be better tools available so legit players can play properly w/o having to put up with idiotic gameplay.

Every version so far of online Diablo play has turned into a haven for bots, spammers, cheaters, and hacks.
That is because Blizzard doesnt actively monitor or get rid of cheaters anymore. Why would they on a game that is 8 years old that does not make them money anymore? When it first came out it was pretty free of cheating or bots on the secure stuff. If they did catch someone they were removed pretty quickly.

But like I said above you cannot bash the people who know how to play the game as it was designed. Bash Blizzard, not the player.
__________________
DVDs: SomethingSexy
XBL: Cletus Van Dame
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:16 AM   #134
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Bash Blizzard, not the player.
So is this a VGTalk version of "don't hate the playa, hate the game"




Either way, it is like Xbox Live. You will always have people who want to trash talk and play unfairly. Hopefully, like Live, these folks can gather in the Underground and harass one another. Or i can leave feedback so i don't have to play with those folks again.
__________________
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Live gamertag: xmiyux
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 09:43 AM   #135
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,031
__________________
XBL: pinata242 | PSN: pinata242 | Steam: pinata242
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 10:20 AM   #136
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I think the good/great players are the ones who know how to use the game to there advantage. After all, once you have been through the game twice or more, it isn't about the story anymore, its about you.
True. After the 3rd time thru you should know what you are doing. You should be focused on your play style and skills and getting better loot. But we all know the game is really about finding the best loot, not about killing monsters. Monsters just provide you a means to getting the loot. They are just in the way really and the faster you can get rid of them the faster you can get your loot.

You really dont even need to build up your skills. Loot gives you pluses to everything. I had several chars that I never even used all their skill points on. There was no point really. The loot gave you all the bonuses you needed.

This is something they need to rebalance in D3.

Not sure what you mean by "using" the game.

Finding secrets and easter eggs is one thing. Making maphacks, taking advantage of flaws in code, trying to trick the game etc. is something else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:11 AM   #137
Liver&Onions
DVD Talk Legend
 
Liver&Onions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oregonzola
Posts: 14,257
Apparently, there still might be more to come... just got this in my inbox:
around 4:30 I guess something is said about unannounced stuff, i didn't check it though.

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/vide...rob_pardo.html
__________________
Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:23 AM   #138
Ginwen
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,088
I played D2 90+% of the time in password protected games. The few times I didn't I met enough people that weren't dicks that we added to our password protected game. Therefore, didn't have any of the issues with cheaters, pkers, etc.

When I did play in an open game, it was obvious in about 10 seconds if people were dicks, and I left.

I did leave after a bit anyway because at some point you've made every type of character, and you're just killing the same stuff over and over as fast as you can to try for a good drop. It was fun till then though, and I don't need one game I can play forever, so I can hardly wait for D3.

Last edited by Ginwen; 07-01-08 at 11:25 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:28 AM   #139
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Apparently, there still might be more to come... just got this in my inbox:
around 4:30 I guess something is said about unannounced stuff, i didn't check it though.

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/vide...rob_pardo.html
Not much, just that there's another team working on an unannounced game and Diablo 3 isn't the next-gen MMO that Blizz is hiring for.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 12:34 PM   #140
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginwen
I did leave after a bit anyway because at some point you've made every type of character, and you're just killing the same stuff over and over as fast as you can to try for a good drop. It was fun till then though, and I don't need one game I can play forever, so I can hardly wait for D3.
Im looking forward to the initial experience. Its going to be great initially. But what they intend to do to keep the long term play viable will be interesting.

Once you complete the storyline the thrill of hunting for treasure only lasts so long. And since everyone did this to death in D2, D3 needs to add something more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 01:44 PM   #141
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee

You really dont even need to build up your skills. Loot gives you pluses to everything. I had several chars that I never even used all their skill points on. There was no point really. The loot gave you all the bonuses you needed.

.
True story.

I had 2 characters pretty much through DII.

My main character..then my MF character
__________________
XBox Live: AwareGolf4
Twitter
Seattle Sin Bin Podcast Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 02:15 PM   #142
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
True story.

I had 2 characters pretty much through DII.

My main character..then my MF character
True. I think at the end of its run just about every one in D2 had a MF character and about 10 mules. Heh!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 04:33 PM   #143
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee
True. I think at the end of its run just about every one in D2 had a MF character and about 10 mules. Heh!

For some reason, loot grinding in D2 was much more rewarding for me than it was in WOW.

Maybe it was the time investment? I could do 2-3 runs of the major bosses and cow level in like a hour. Baal, diablo, meph and moo.
__________________
XBox Live: AwareGolf4
Twitter
Seattle Sin Bin Podcast Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 04:39 PM   #144
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
For some reason, loot grinding in D2 was much more rewarding for me than it was in WOW.

Maybe it was the time investment? I could do 2-3 runs of the major bosses and cow level in like a hour. Baal, diablo, meph and moo.

I agree, but for me it was because it was at a much faster pace. Like you said.
__________________
DVDs: SomethingSexy
XBL: Cletus Van Dame
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 09:16 AM   #145
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
For some reason, loot grinding in D2 was much more rewarding for me than it was in WOW.

Maybe it was the time investment? I could do 2-3 runs of the major bosses and cow level in like a hour. Baal, diablo, meph and moo.
Yes. Its a more casual game. Its takes the best parts of an RPG and presents them in an arcade style. Fighting foes and getting good loot. The character builds are just there for variety and added depth.

The fun of the Diablo game is smashing up stuff and getting rewards.

MMORPG's take alot of time investment. There is too much 'work' to do to get to the fun/good stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 09:19 AM   #146
nemein
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,087
User Friendly is having some fun w/ this

www.userfriendly.org


__________________
"The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." -- Norman Thomas

"When you look really deep, we are all kind of shallow" -- unknown

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the countdown clock
1194 days 21 hours 33 minutes
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 09:22 AM   #147
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229



I am waiting for Penny-Arcade to come out with there D3 comics.
__________________
DVDs: SomethingSexy
XBL: Cletus Van Dame
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 02:32 PM   #148
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,354
Any ideas on what the other classes will be?

Male and female version so far:
Barbarian/Barbarianess? (or Amazon?)
Witch Doctor/Witch Doctress?

Probably will be a magic caster of some kind: Sorcerer/Sorceress.
A Knight of some kind. ?/?
And hopefully the return of the Necromancer/Necromancess?. One of the best classes in the game.

BTW just what is the difference between a Witch and a Sorceress? The style of dress?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 02:36 PM   #149
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee
Any ideas on what the other classes will be?

Male and female version so far:
Barbarian/Barbarianess? (or Amazon?)
Witch Doctor/Witch Doctress?

Probably will be a magic caster of some kind: Sorcerer/Sorceress.
A Knight of some kind. ?/?
And hopefully the return of the Necromancer/Necromancess?. One of the best classes in the game.

BTW just what is the difference between a Witch and a Sorceress? The style of dress?

I think it is gonna be at least another amazon type character. I doubt there will be a necromancer because of the witch doctor. I hated the necro with a passion. They need to the paladin. I am gonna say the three other classes will be:

Paladin/Knight
Amazon type character
Good mage/sorcerer
__________________
DVDs: SomethingSexy
XBL: Cletus Van Dame
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 11:29 PM   #150
Numes
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,377
Holy shit. It's obvious I'm out of the loop, but I just found out today that Diablo III is coming out. Diablo II was my absolute favorite non-single player PC game ever. If it is equally as good as Diablo II, I will be very happy.

There goes any substantial DVD watching for about 4 months.

AND THE HEAVENS SHALL TREMBLE!
__________________
My DVDs: DVD Profiler
DVD Talk now has no Pants -- gkleinman 7-1-04
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0