Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Diablo III + Reaper of Souls (multi-platform)

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I have farmed a whole bunch of gear. Now the playstyle I had is being eliminated and I have two choices toss out most of my gear that was based on All resist and refarm new gear to try and do a new build or move on.

I have decided to move on.
Cool.
Old 09-15-12, 11:13 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't see why there are so many people that stick with this game even if it isn't fun for them. Blizzard are geniuses
Old 09-17-12, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I have farmed a whole bunch of gear. Now the playstyle I had is being eliminated and I have two choices toss out most of my gear that was based on All resist and refarm new gear to try and do a new build or move on.

I have decided to move on.
Same boat. i get my barb regeared and it ends up being wrong, again. before the 1.04 patch i bought a bunch of Resist All Vit gear. then after the patch it wasn't worth it. switched it all to STR gear, or a nice balance, still die all the damn time and now i need more gear.

Borderlands 2 tomorrow, that will be the end of D3 for a while. i've been losing interest since i beat Diablo on inferno, finally.
Old 09-17-12, 08:15 AM

co worker played the game all weekend with 2 friends. probably put in 20+ hours. his buddy got 6 legendaries/set items just yesterday, my friend (same game) - none. none all weekend in fact.....

like i said, BL2 tomorrow....
Old 09-17-12, 10:59 AM

What did Blizz nerf now? Did they nerf all the characters?
Old 09-17-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Krayzie
What did Blizz nerf now? Did they nerf all the characters?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155...mage-9_13_2012

Doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me if the end result of Inferno being easier is accurate.
Old 09-17-12, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155...mage-9_13_2012

Doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me if the end result of Inferno being easier is accurate.
Do you mind doing a copy / paste? Battle.net is blocked or I would have looked it up earlier.
Old 09-17-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sure. Here's some snippets.

We're taking a close look at defensive skills vs. incoming monster damage in 1.0.5. We’re going to be changing a few defensive skills for each class, including some direct nerfs to skills like wizard Energy Armor and barbarian War Cry - Impunity. However, we're also reducing incoming damage in Inferno, so players will actually come out ahead. In short the plan is:

Reduce the effectiveness of select defensive skills
Reduce monster damage by more than the mitigation lost by these skills
Putting both changes together, players actually take less damage than before
Why are we doing this? The reason is not complicated. High incoming monster damage combined with extremely powerful defensive skills make those skills and runes feel mandatory. Our goal is that by simultaneously nerfing defensive skills and reducing incoming damage, players who choose to continue using these defensive skills will take less damage overall, and players who choose to forego these "mandatory" skills will find themselves more survivable than what you would currently experience on live. Overall, these changes result in a huge buff in the player’s favor. Just how mandatory are these skills?
Here's a quick rundown of what's changing in terms of defensive skills in 1.0.5.
Barbarian:
War Cry - Impunity: Bonus resistance reduced from 50% to 20%.
Leap - Iron Impact: We’re adjusting the design of this skill. Rather than providing 300% armor for 4 seconds, it’s going to provide 100% armor per target hit for 3 seconds. So if you don't hit any targets, you won't get any armor. If you hit 5 targets, you'll actually get 500% armor. We are making this change because the intended fantasy of Iron Impact is a barbarian who leaps into the thick of battle and is super tough. The way the skill plays out on live it is essentially an Ignore Pain that can also move you. For the most part it is better than Ignore Pain, making not only Ignore Pain unattractive, but also the other Leap Attack runes. In 1.0.5, if you want a defensive cooldown - grab Ignore Pain. If you want to leap into the thick of battle and be super tough, take Iron Impact.

Demon Hunter:
In the case of the demon hunter, the class is a bit too binary. If you're playing a glass cannon Smoke Screen build, then you're invulnerable most of the time, and when you make a mistake, you die instantly. If you're using Shadow Power - Gloom with a legacy Natalya's set, then you have near constant uptime of 65% damage reduction, but if you're not using the legacy Natalya's set, Shadow Power - Gloom is a luxury.
Independent of the general defensive skill nerf, we had already decided to buff Shadow Power to last longer. The primary purpose of Shadow Power is to give you a short window of time during which you can unload some damage to recoup some Life. Unfortunately the 3-second duration makes this awkward to use. We are changing Shadow Power from 20% Life Steal for 3 seconds to 15% Life Steal for 5 seconds. This should be a modest buff to the skill as well as making it a lot more pleasant to use. All of the runes are scheduled to see similar changes, such as Blood Moon going from 30% Life Steal for 3 seconds to 25% Life Steal for 5 seconds. Each rune effect is slightly smaller, but for 5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, resulting in an overall buff over the duration of the effect.

Taking into account the across-the-board nerf to defensive skills, Gloom will become 35% damage reduction for 5 seconds.
This developer journal is focused primarily on defensive skill changes, but because the change to Gloom is significant, I want to mention that we are looking at concrete mechanics changes to the demon hunter to introduce new play styles. Many players have mentioned that outside of Gloom, demon hunters seem to lack defensive options. More importantly, demon hunters would like some different play styles, and we agree! Here are a few changes we are adding for demon hunters in 1.0.5 to open up new ways to play:
We are adjusting some runes and passives to provide ways to increase survivability that scales with your Life, Armor, and resistances.
We are changing the Spider, Boar, and Wolf companion pets to be actual pets that can tank for you like a Gargantuan or Zombie Dog.
We are putting a short cooldown on Sentry, but you can have two out simultaneously. On top of that, the Custom Engineering passive will let you have a third Sentry turret! This opens up a whole new play style for the Demon Hunter of establishing a "nest" that you can draw enemies into.

Monk:
The strongest monk defensive skill is One With Everything. We've mentioned it before and it bears repeating - this is something we would like to fix someday, but we're going to take our time. Changes to One With Everything heavily impact existing monk gear. We still plan on addressing this in the future but will do so in a way that does not invalidate the gear monks have invested in.
Resolve: Damage reduction reduced from 25% to 20%.
Seize the Initiative: Changed to grant 50% of your Dexterity as Armor. This will result in anywhere from 750 to 1250 armor for most monks (depending on your Dex) which is comparable to the mitigation lost by other classes. The reduction to Resolve and Seize the Initiative should mean if you want to be a “super-tanky monk” you can still take all three defensive skills, but it should be a lot easier to pick some other passives without feeling like you’re going to blow up at the first Elite pack you encounter.

Witch Doctor:
Jungle Fortitude is being reduced from 20% to 15% damage reduction.
Wizard:
Energy Armor: Armor increase reduced from 65% to 35%.
Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor: Resistance increase reduced from 40% to 25%.
It’s worth noting that we’re going to provide additional alternative defensive options for the wizard such as adding flat melee damage reduction to Ice Armor and creating a Familiar variant that provides passive Life regeneration.
Alright, so let's recap. Defensive skills are taking a hit in 1.0.5, but incoming damage from monsters is also being reduced. Taken together, the changes mean Inferno is going to be easier. For some of you this is totally cool; you welcome an easier Inferno because it’s about efficiency and not difficulty. For others, you may be skeptical but you're at least intrigued at the possibility that you'll be able to drop some defensive skills and discover some new builds. However, for others, Inferno is currently already too easy. Maybe you don't use any defensive skills; maybe your gear is so good you dropped War Cry - Impunity weeks ago. For this last group you may be wondering "Another Inferno nerf? But I crave more of a challenge, not less!"

For people in this last group, 1.0.5 is bringing the "Monster Power" system. The details of this system will be outlined as we get closer to 1.0.5, but in short this is a callback to the Diablo II ”players X” option, allowing you to increase the level of challenge for increased rewards. Our hope is that we can make Inferno easier while simultaneously providing new ways for top-end players to gauge their increasing power in tangible ways.
Old 09-17-12, 12:10 PM

Thanks!
Old 09-17-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they are nerfing the scaling of Defensive stats while buffing the old Inferno mode which will be the new hell mode of the game. So if you stay in the old inferno which drops junk anyway you likely will not notice much difference,

If you try the new Monster Power Levels this will likely be a huge nerf since trying to stack All Resist or armor will not help as much since you now get much less bang for your buck with reduced scaling of things like Warcry impunity( from +50% to only +20%).

Kind of sad to see them do such overall nerfs to so many classes. I guess they want even less players than they have now.

I will keep the game installed after 1.05 just in case they buff my stats back up to 1.04 levels and I can play the way I want to play.
Old 10-15-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped playing weeks ago since I figured why bother playing a play style that I know was going to get nerfed hugely when the new patch went live.

I thought about selling off my gear but I figured they might revert some of the nerfs at some point so i could get back to playing the way I like to play.

Does anyone still play Daiblo 3 from Dvdtalk?
Old 10-15-12, 07:29 PM
wlj

I log in maybe once a week.
Old 10-15-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Every now and then I check in, but not really.
Old 10-15-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped playing a month ago.
Old 10-15-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I stopped about a month ago. I enjoyed the game while leveling up, but I never really enjoyed the farming aspect. Never really did much of it in Diablo II, either.
Old 10-16-12, 08:07 AM
wlj

the upcoming patch 1.0.5 has some interesting additions. i will probably come back and try it out. however I said the same thing about patch 1.0.4 and didn't play it all that much.

the main thing i log in for is to see if a couple of my crossbows have sold. i keep posting but they never sell.
Old 10-16-12, 08:13 AM

i set it aside for BL2. may revisit after 1.0.5
Old 10-16-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Inflation actually keeps me from coming back. I don't play often, so I don't generate gold. Since I don't generate gold I can't buy shit from the auction house to improve my character which then further inhibits my desire to play. Since prices tend to keep rising, I just don't feel like making the effort anymore.
Old 10-17-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Inflation actually keeps me from coming back. I don't play often, so I don't generate gold. Since I don't generate gold I can't buy shit from the auction house to improve my character which then further inhibits my desire to play. Since prices tend to keep rising, I just don't feel like making the effort anymore.
actually, from what i've seen...prices have gone down.
less people playing = less bids = lower prices.
also more people joining the lvl 60 means more items in AH
Old 10-17-12, 12:37 PM
wlj

patch 1.0.5 has been unleashed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7528...ble-10_16_2012
Old 10-17-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster
actually, from what i've seen...prices have gone down.
less people playing = less bids = lower prices.
also more people joining the lvl 60 means more items in AH
When I compare items on sale to stuff I'm wearing, I can't seem to be able to buy any actual upgrades for less than 5 million gold.
Old 10-18-12, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh well. I guess they did end up going live with those nerfs.

They did end up saving me some money down the line I guess when they release an expansion so maybe it will be a good thing in the end.

Good luck to anyone who ends up sticking with the game!
Old 12-12-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Diablo 3 was the 5th most searched for item in Google for the year. Pretty impressive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...-term-of-2012/
Old 12-12-12, 12:46 PM
wlj

I started it back up last weekend and my D3 addiction has returned. Gear prices have really dropped alot in the GAH. If you are patient and look for a while you will find good gear for rather cheap. My level 60 demon hunter plows through inferno with ease. Here is my current build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/G.../hero/10522549

I really like the new "monster power" and paragon stuff. It really adds to the replayability. However the main thing that got me going again was the dropped prices.
Old 12-12-12, 01:42 PM

Maybe I should try killing Diablo on Inferno again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.