Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage

If it's close enough then someone will buy it and release a buggy copy ...

but I think someone should buy it and continue the tradition of "next year" statements.
Old 05-07-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Duke Nukem For[n]ever
Old 05-07-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were both side scrolling shooters. Duke Nukem 3D was a first person shooter. Duke Nukem Forever would have been the 4th main game (not counting the console spin-off titles).
jesus christ. let it go. it was a mistake when i wrote it. i understand the difference.
Old 05-07-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to think so many people thought this game would make it out before Chinese Democracy.....
Old 05-07-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
jesus christ. let it go. it was a mistake when i wrote it. i understand the difference.
I don't think you do!
Old 05-07-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey they did say it was a planned trilogy. Perhaps they were going the lord of the rings strategy by making all three at the same time and then releasing it three years in a row
Old 05-07-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Do you honestly think that they were actually working on a real game for 13 years?

Have a look-see here:
http://gamingisstupid.com/2009/05/06...story-revival/
That article seems to ramble all over the place and I have no idea what he's talking about half the time. But I love this quote:

"I felt like I had been told my childhood was just an implanted memory, my parents were really actors, and that my penis was about 50% smaller than I thought it was."

Old 05-07-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as saying the "Duke' is finished with Take-Two in charge. I mean with the likes of GTA and Bioshock I have a feeling they'll bring it back to life.
Old 05-07-09, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
Hey they did say it was a planned trilogy.

Duke Nukem Trilogy is something else unrelated to Forever. Trilogy is a compilation of games for the PSP and DS.
Old 05-07-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just learned this is actually not the first Duke Nukem game to be cancelled:

Duke Nukem: Endangered Species cancelled
By Trey Walker, GameSpotPosted Dec 18, 2001 3:04 pm PT

Action Forms confirms that its Duke Nukem hunting game has been axed.

A company representative for Ukranian game developer Action Forms has confirmed that its upcoming hunting game, Duke Nukem: Endangered Species, has been cancelled. The game was in development at 3D Realms and Action Forms and was originally scheduled for release under Take-Two Interactive's GodGames label in the second half of 2001. It was to be a hunting game starring the famous action game hero Duke Nukem, and players would hunt down a variety of dangerous animals running wild in a suburban area.
And since we're all grieving, I would like to mention a forgotten PC game in the Duke franchise that some fans may want to check out - Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. It was one of the best side scrollers I've ever played. And you also get to hear Jon St. John's great voice one last time.
Old 05-07-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They deserve to be closed. I'm amazed that it didn't happen sooner.

Bad management over there all around. If EA was running that studio, there would be like 12 sequels already.
Old 05-07-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Do you honestly think that they were actually working on a real game for 13 years?

Have a look-see here:
http://gamingisstupid.com/2009/05/06...story-revival/
That didn't actually happen, you know.

The reality is that 3D Realms was just that incompetent.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 05-07-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
That didn't actually happen, you know.

The reality is that 3D Realms was just that incompetent.
Well I would hope its just a story.

But it wouldnt surprise me if it was all a big lie all along.

I just cant bring myself to believe that a company would spend 13 years actively developing a game they knew they would never profit from.

That employees worked for such an incompetent company, or that peers and business associates did not enquire or take any interest in exactly what was going there. Someone knew. And if someone knew that there was that much going wrong then they would have said something in 13 years.

Hopefully some of the employees will reveal just what the heck was going on there at 3DRealms.
Old 05-08-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt any employees will speak up, simply because the truth is probably much more mundane than the story, and these people will need jobs in the future.

Look at Prey. It had a Duke Nukem Forever-esque development cycle (11 years). They finally had to outsource the game to another studio just to get it completed.

3D Realms has literally not brought a single game developed internally to market in the last 12 years. The last game they developed internally was Shadow Master, in 1997. Before that? Duke Nukem 3D in 1996.

They were living off of licensing and publishing deals, and clearly the well ran dry. I really would not be surprised if they did spend a lot of their time playing World of Warcraft.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 05-08-09 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to blame the rank and file employees that were at 3D Realms, but the simple truth is that they will be remembered for Duke Nukem Forever, a game that never came out under their name, and may never be released, period.
Old 05-09-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heres an interview with the voice actor of Duke Nukem Jon St. Jon:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eyvkuWQyJEw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eyvkuWQyJEw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why does everyone think Forever will never be released? Why cant a separate developer pick the game up and finish it? id software could buy it and release it. They seem like the perfect development team to do it.

Last edited by mhg83; 05-09-09 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-09-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think id is a bit busy working on Rage and Doom 4.
Old 05-09-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IE3KdcTgrno&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IE3KdcTgrno&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

::
Old 05-09-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I spent like 30 minutes watching a bunch of those Ventrillo Harassment videos, fucking hilarious.
Old 05-09-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Why does everyone think Forever will never be released? Why cant a separate developer pick the game up and finish it? id software could buy it and release it. They seem like the perfect development team to do it.
A perfect choice. However...

Maybe I'm way off here, but if Take Two owns the publishing rights, couldn't that now create a perpetual legal Hell for this game ever getting developed by someone else?

But let's face it. I guess it's safe to say that after 12+ years, this game really was never going to get released. (Jeez, in that interview Jon St. John even said that he hadn't recorded any voice work. I had figured all his lines were in the can years ago!) And since 3D Realms suffered from some sort of Howard Hughes-like OCD where DNF always had to be the most advanced game ever released - if it ever did come out the minimum system requirements would have probably included Quad-SLI.

(Which means two gamers in the whole world would have actually bought it, and everyone else would have ignored it or pirated it.)
Old 05-10-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

leaked gameplay footage (NSFW):

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddler_ac12034c"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/ac12034c/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/ac12034c/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_ac12034c"></embed></object>
Old 05-10-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From GOG.com:

According to The Duke List, a former employee wrote this:

The 2001 trailer was 100% scripted cinematic, and not actual gameplay. They built specific demo maps just to record video from to make a trailer. Everything you see in that trailer was phony.

The typical work flow there went something like this:
Designer would be assigned a task (build a new map, rebuild an old map, polish a bit of a map, etc.). Designer would work on said task for two, three weeks, a month, all the while lower management would be looking over it and making sure it was going in a "good general direction." Designer would move on to another task. A month or two later upper management would finally look at the work and say, "It's all wrong, do it again." Rinse, repeat.

Entire maps would be done from the ground up, almost to beta quality, and then thrown out simply because no one would make decisions early on in the process. (Read up on Valve's 'orange box' method of design -- that's how you make games)

Another example of [redacted] is the fact that there was one part of one map that was being worked on before I started working there. Nineteen months later and the same designer was still working on the same part of that same map... I'm not blaming the designer, it wasn't his fault.

I think the biggest problem that the company had in general is being self-funded. When you're a developer working directly with a publisher and you have milestones to meet it's a whole different ballgame. If you don't meet those milestones, you don't get any money. That right there will keep your project on schedule. If, however, you're funding it yourself, you don't really have anyone to answer to except yourself and you can quickly lose sight of just how much money is going out the door.
Old 05-10-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And from Kotaku:

This is from Duke4.net and it sounds like a pretty well formed story:

1. George and Scott own equal parts of 3D Realms.
2. DNF taking forever to make costs tons of money.
3. Scott who is arguably the smarter businessman gets tired of this over time and doesn’t want to dump his money into it anymore.
4. Scott looks to other things like Radar Group and newly launched Apogee Software LLC and leaves 3D Realms in Georges hands.
5. Scott is still technically a manager at 3D Realms but is effectively done with 3D Realms at that point.
6. Scott is now free to run companies as he sees fit without dealing with a 50% partner.
7. A year or so later George wasn’t able to handle it, especially with lack of Scott’s personal and financial cooperation.
8. Eventually funds begin to run low.
9. Since Scott is out, and so is money, George drives out to California to show Take 2 the game in an attempt to wow them into funding development to finish DNF.
10. Vague references were made to Take 2 possibly having (verbally) promising money, but didn’t deliver.
11. When George requested the $5 million from Take 2 so DNF development could be funded.
12. Take 2 counter-offered with giving 3D Realms $30 million instead…. *IF*3D Realms sells all rights to the Duke IP. (currently Take2’s only has publishing rights)
13. George\They refuse this and keep the Duke IP, instead shutting down the company and going on life support.
14. The purpose of not selling the IP is because the Duke IP still has the potential to make money, and it is their trademark. It would be like iD selling the Doom IP.
15. George is said to have previously went to iD Software and Epic in an attempt to make a deal with funding for them, but is turned down.
16. ..was also said to still have plans to contact other companies to make similar requests.
17. A company in a better position to spend $5 million, such as EA or Microsoft are seen as the most likely candidates for possibly investing in saving DNF.
Old 05-14-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5255220/take+two-s...ure-to-deliver

Take Two suing them now
Old 05-14-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

It's so sad. I have such fond memories of playing this game at my friend's house. His dad had a separate line and computer in his office, and he would call from the attic on his computer, down to the office and we would play versus against each other that way for hours. Packard Bell computer's FTW!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.