Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box 360 vs. PS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can play games on a PS3? How long has this been going on?
Old 05-19-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

360 for games and online

ps3 for blu ray....

i have not bought one game for ps3 because their online sucks
Old 05-19-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You can play games on a PS3? How long has this been going on?
The first page of this thread was solid, but this is exactly how these threads go to hell. Someone else will counter that at least you can get through an entire game on your PS3 without the RROD and so on back and forth. Pointless.
Old 05-19-08, 10:13 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have both but really only play games on my 360. The ps3 controller is a love or hate thing, its very light and hollow feeling and the triggers and buttons may not suit everyone.

There arent a lot of good games I like for the PS3. well theres just one game so far. I use the thing as a blu ray player mostly.

I feel more bitter taste and resentment buying the ps3 just for blu ray (ripped off feeling) than I do for returning my 360 in for repairs (two times).
Old 05-19-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
The first page of this thread was solid, but this is exactly how these threads go to hell. Someone else will counter that at least you can get through an entire game on your PS3 without the RROD and so on back and forth. Pointless.
I don't think that was the point. There is a thread in the HD forum on "What do you use your PS3 for? Blu-ray, Gaming, or Both?" and you'd be surprised at the number of people who have it strictly as a movie player.

For the record, I like the PS3s variety, it's a good stepping stone between Wii's casual gaming and the X360s (seemingly) "hardcore gamer" sensibility. Of course, I own all 3 consoles, so I'm just a bit of a money wasting nerd. I use my 360 more for gaming and streaming, use the PS3 for bluray and still a good amount of gaming, and the Wii is the party machine (along with Rock Band.) and erm, well, pinball.
Old 05-19-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should add, before the gets locked, that the sixaxis feels way too light and cheap. I want a dualshock but not because of the rumble...I just want the controller to have some wait. I'm just too cheap to buy a second controller for a system that nobody else in my household plays with me.
Old 05-19-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
Oh, it was a joke. Christ.

For the record, I own both consoles.
Old 05-19-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I guess I should add, before the gets locked, that the sixaxis feels way too light and cheap. I want a dualshock but not because of the rumble...I just want the controller to have some wait. I'm just too cheap to buy a second controller for a system that nobody else in my household plays with me.
Well, the wait was just fine on the original controller, but the weight is much better on the dualshock.

Old 05-19-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The dualshock is great for kids but too small for adults, IMO.
Old 05-19-08, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I own all 3 consoles. Bought all 3 the day of their release (I waited 2 months on the PS3). To this day, 1.5 years later I have yet to play a single game on my PS3. I would go Xbox 360 all the way.
Old 05-19-08, 11:54 AM

360 all the way. I have to say my 360 may be my favorite system I've ever owned. XBL is fantastic and worth the price, and it has a good library of games. Now reliability..........
buy a 3 year warranty with your 360. It's a must.
Old 05-19-08, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't get the 360 is cheaper thing though. It's basically a la carte.

Let's say you get the Arcade version. $279 right?

You want wireless? $100. You want hard drive space? $80 for the 20GB or $180 for the 120GB.

The 360 winds up being more expensive than the PS3 when you add wireless and comparable hard drive space, and the 360 still doesn't have built-in HD video like the PS3 does (Blu-Ray).

Now there's no denying the 360 is vastly superior in online multiplayer support and downloadable content. But for someone who might not own any of the big cross-platform games and isn't gaga about online play or achievements, the PS3 is just fine.

I won't even go into the details of the RROD thing, which is just unforgivable.

I finally took a chance and bought a 360 in February which I confirmed was built in January '08. It's been fine so far, but then again, I've only used it about 30-40 hours so far. My PS3 gets about 3x that usage, and that's all gaming. I watch my Blu-Ray's on a standalone. GTA IV, COD4, Rainbow Six, EA sports games - all of these are on the PS3, and those are the versions I own.
The problem with this is not everyone wants everything to match up to the PS3. How much is BC worth? The 40GB PS3 has 0 BC in PS2 games. Xbox 360 has 40% (guess). How much is that worth? $150? Not everyone wants Blu-ray, nor do they need Wireless. How much is a rumble controller since those are not packed in 40GB boxes? See, I can do the same adding up thing for the PS3 as well. How about USB ports? Xbox 360 has one more.
Old 05-19-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 360 and a PS3. I did buy the PS3 primarily for Blu-ray playback but now buy almost every exclusive on the PS3 and like it far better than the 360.

My reasons:
-I've had the RROD three times despite the fact that the 360 is never on for more than 10 hours a week and never has been.
-I like the PS3 controller better, particularly the new Dualshock. I know that's a minority opinion, but I feel more comfortable with it.
-The PS3 has far better downloadable games than the 360. While the PS3's offerings are not as plentiful (yet), EchoChrome, Everyday Shooter, Super Stardust, Calling All Cars, and flOw blow anything Live offers away.
-The PS3 feels more like a machine for grown-ups, and I like that. Its interface is far more elegant than the 360's. You aren't bombarded with ads for McDonald's and Mountain Dew.
-Uncharted. Seriously, it might be the most fun I've had with a video game ever. Again, just my opinion, but I loved that game.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 360 a lot. I do buy music games for it (Rock Band and Guitar Hero) because the peripherals work for both unlike the PS3. I also happily buy the exclusives released on it that interest me (Bioshock, Bully Scholarship Edition). If I had to give one of these machines up though, it would easily be the 360.
Old 05-19-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Well, the wait was just fine on the original controller, but the weight is much better on the dualshock.

Much like the eating/swimming rule I need to allow myself ample time after I get for my brain to come around before I post.
Old 05-19-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
-The PS3 has far better downloadable games than the 360. While the PS3's offerings are not as plentiful (yet), EchoChrome, Everyday Shooter, Super Stardust, Calling All Cars, and flOw blow anything Live offers away.
flOw? really?

I have to disagree overall with that assessment though. The PS3 has better original games on it's download service, but I actually prefer the offerings on XBLA. ie - I highly prefer Ikaruga and Geometry Wars to any of the PS3 DL shooters (Save for Blast Factor). Bomberman and Worms have gotten a ton of play from me as well. Puzzle Quest, Zuma, Rez, Alien Hominid, Carcassonne, Uno, Catan, N+, Exit, Prince of Persia Classic, etc; were all just frosting. Too each their own I suppose.

But again, in terms of original titles, the PS3 pisses all over it. EchoChrome is pretty cool and I do enjoy my Tekken 5.

Uncharted is one of the better made games of this generation, fantastically realized, a little too much shooter over adventure/puzzle, but that's a minor complaint.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-19-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
The PS3 has far better downloadable games than the 360. While the PS3's offerings are not as plentiful (yet), EchoChrome, Everyday Shooter, Super Stardust, Calling All Cars, and flOw blow anything Live offers away.
-The PS3 feels more like a machine for grown-ups, and I like that. Its interface is far more elegant than the 360's. You aren't bombarded with ads for McDonald's and Mountain Dew.
-Uncharted. Seriously, it might be the most fun I've had with a video game ever. Again, just my opinion, but I loved that game.
I dunno. The Uncharted demo was uninspired. The only exclusive retail game on the PS3 that has interested me so far is Tools of Destruction, and that was an awesome, awesome game.

Mutant Storm Reloaded and Geometry Wars are both better than Everyday Shooter and Super Stardust. flOw is/was a free game on the PC.

As single games, a lot of the stuff on PSN is great. But as a library, XBLA beats it. If you go by Metacritic, PSN has 6 games rated 80+. (I'm not counting games over $15 like Warhawk). The 360 has 15 games (not counting Xbox originals). XBLA's library is also a lot more varied with a lot more puzzle and board games, if that's your thing.
Old 05-19-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I dunno. The Uncharted demo was uninspired.
Rent the full game, you won't regret it.

And I forgot about the Xbox originals. So yeah, them too.
Old 05-19-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

After reading this thread, I kind of wish I owned a 360 in addition to my PS3. That being said, I love my PS3. Very happy with it. Unlike the Wii, which is one of the worst purchases I have ever made, I count the PS3 among my best.

I bought it for blu-ray, but I have GTA 4, MLB '08 The Show, and The Orange Box: Really enjoying all 3 games. I can voice some complaints, but they've been mentioned already.
Old 05-19-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The problem with this is not everyone wants everything to match up to the PS3. How much is BC worth? The 40GB PS3 has 0 BC in PS2 games. Xbox 360 has 40% (guess). How much is that worth? $150? Not everyone wants Blu-ray, nor do they need Wireless. How much is a rumble controller since those are not packed in 40GB boxes? See, I can do the same adding up thing for the PS3 as well. How about USB ports? Xbox 360 has one more.
Exactly. Just like statistics, you can fudge the numbers/features to go in favor either way.

Much like the eating/swimming rule I need to allow myself ample time after I get for my brain to come around before I post.
I was trying to come up with a great response, but it would be damn hard to top that one.
Old 05-19-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2

I have to disagree overall with that assessment though. The PS3 has better original games on it's download service,
disclaimer: this is not directed at you Rich, just a generalization...

I love how 10 years ago Nintendo's mantra was Quality over Quantity and a certain competitor's fans shit all over it ragging them for it. Yet, here we are a decade later with the tables turned and those same people that shit on that mantra are now taking it up as their own. Sweet irony!
Old 05-19-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh no I agree, since I bitched forever about there being no original games out there and nothing but sequels... but dammit I love me some Ikaruga, Bomberman, Worms, and board games *ducks*. Especially when they're $10 or less.
Old 05-19-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never understood the too light complaint. I love the weight of the original Sixaxis. It was shocking when I first picked it up, but after 10 minutes I was in love. I got a Dual Shock as well and while I use that one more now, my only complaint is that it's not as light.

Another poster mentioned that the Sixaxis was too small, which I don't get either. My hands aren't huge, but I can easily palm a basketball and the controller feels just fine.
Old 05-19-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'll give you the Blu-Ray thing, but not every wants wireless? Really? On a system where the trump card is online, wireless should be built in - period. This is 2008, not 2002.

If they're going to be cheap asses and not include an adapter they should at least bring down the add-on price to $50.

And how much is the build quality worth? If I could only buy one, I'd rather buy a box that doesn't have a 10%-30% of failing within a year (these percentages based on what build the box is - I still see old boxes for sale).

I should mention I own the 60GB, which has the BC and more USB ports. Best PS3 out there IMO - too bad it's no longer available.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-19-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
I've never understood the too light complaint. I love the weight of the original Sixaxis. It was shocking when I first picked it up, but after 10 minutes I was in love. I got a Dual Shock as well and while I use that one more now, my only complaint is that it's not as light.

Another poster mentioned that the Sixaxis was too small, which I don't get either. My hands aren't huge, but I can easily palm a basketball and the controller feels just fine.
I have big hands, and I've done just fine with GTA IV and COD4 on the PS3. If anything the 360 controller feels too big and clunky.
Old 05-19-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'll give you the Blu-Ray thing, but not every wants wireless? Really? On a system where the trump card is online, wireless should be built in - period. This is 2008, not 2002.
A lot of us that had Xboxs already have our setups wired so wireless is a non-issue. It's those making the jump from 56k PS2s that want to skip that phase altogether.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.