Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

You know what I hate? (Gamer rep)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know what I hate? (Gamer rep)

I hate it when people ding your rep because of a strategy you use in a game. I see a fair number of people who ding me after playing Catan or Carcassonne, and I don't play like an asshole. I move the game forward quickly, I don't pick on one person endlessly, but I do play somewhat agdressive.

For example, I'll choose a spot on the Catan map that helps ME get what I need to win, and if that means blocking someone else, that's what happens. Should that result in a rep ding? I don't think so. And sure, I'll piggyback on giant cities when playing Carc. - it's a good strategic move, and I don't blame others when they do it to me - it's part of the game.
Old 05-13-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gamer rep helps weed out the annoying kids and assholes.
Old 05-13-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Gamer rep helps weed out the annoying kids and assholes.
Sure - but when it's dinged against you for playing the game as it was meant is frustrating.
Old 05-13-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Sure - but when it's dinged against you for playing the game as it was meant is frustrating.
I used to have 100% positive rep, and a few sore losers on SF II Hyper Fighting changed that. They said I was too aggressive... Yeah the rep system can be pretty broken if used for the wrong purpose.
Old 05-13-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yep. My only ding is from a match of Backgammon. I've mentioned it before but the guy I was playing [I assume] was going for the win streak achievement, so instead of playing the game right he took about 15 minutes on every turn figuring I'd quit. I outlasted the douchebag and won. So he dings me. Dickhead.
Old 05-13-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't really care about the gamer rep. If people want to ding me for beating them in a game, then so be it even if it's lame on their part too. It doesn't feel like it affects anything I do online anyway.
Old 05-13-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
I get a handful in retaliation against the dings I give asshats that team kill me for no good reason.
Old 05-13-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have to say I've left feedback once or twice in Halo 3 for "skill." Ended up in a match against four guys at super low levels <3 or so. You check their stats and they had a 100% win record(over 100 games). Clearly guys that started new tags since they can't de-level in H3.

Petty? Maybe, but it was pretty clear these guys were well above my teams level, which is mid-high 20s.
Old 05-13-08, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't even pay attention to gamer rep, it has never caused me any problems whatsoever. I'm not bored enough to take the time to ding others and I don't care if they ding me.
Old 05-13-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never, ever play online randomly and it's because of this stuff. It's just not worth my time to hope that I'm playing with halfway decent folks and their obligatory racial slurs. It seems to happen to me every blue moon that I try to get on.

So I'm stuck playing friends once a month. I should get into the DVDTalk group, but I never seem to be playing the popular games and the time schedules are tough for me.
Old 05-13-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My sarcasm failed.
Old 05-13-08, 02:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, I've ran into plenty of idiots who had five stars. Of course, I can still say "avoid this player" so it's all good.
Old 05-13-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
People are sore losers. There's nothing you can do about it when you play random opponents in competitive games. Like Zero, my gamer rep got killed when I played SF2 and I've never really paid attention to it anyway. Then it got even worse with GH3.
Old 05-13-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
People are sore losers. There's nothing you can do about it when you play random opponents in competitive games. Like Zero, my gamer rep got killed when I played SF2 and I've never really paid attention to it anyway. Then it got even worse with GH3.
I imagine Im going to get banned when Soul Calibur (live arcade) and Soul Calibur IV are released...
Old 05-13-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rep doesn't do anything except show you some percentages and let people avoid you. I could care less if I have 100% trash talking...just means those people will never get paired up with me again. Sounds good to me.

I give TONS of people bad rep all the time just to avoid ever playing with them again...I love the system.
Old 05-13-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Maybe if you played GH3 with regular hands instead of your bionic robo-hands this wouldn't happen.
Old 05-13-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Rep doesn't do anything except show you some percentages and let people avoid you. I could care less if I have 100% trash talking...just means those people will never get paired up with me again. Sounds good to me.

I give TONS of people bad rep all the time just to avoid ever playing with them again...I love the system.
I give bad rep when people play like idiots, not when they simply out wit me on strategy games.

I don't care, but my Xbox seems sad when it blogs about me getting dings and that's really all I care about
Old 05-13-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And sure, I'll piggyback on giant cities when playing Carc. - it's a good strategic move, and I don't blame others when they do it to me - it's part of the game.
I guess those people never tried playing on Expert against the AI because it does the same thing
Flat out blocking the other player is fair game as well.
Old 05-13-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
I guess those people never tried playing on Expert against the AI because it does the same thing
Flat out blocking the other player is fair game as well.
Exactly. I had someone block me bigtime for the first time the other night, and I was like "Hot damn, nice move. Now I need to use that!"

Also - I get dinged every time I use my monopoly card secret skill move in Catan.
Old 05-13-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I checked my rep about a week ago for the first time. I was shocked to see that someone dinged me. I've only played H3 online, and I've never been a team killer, I don't use a microphone so I've never badmouthed anyone, I don't teabag, etc... I'm the perfect teammate. I usually finish first or second on my team, and I never do anything to be a jackass.
Old 05-13-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It happens.

It doesn't really grind my gears, though.
Old 05-13-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred
Maybe if you played GH3 with regular hands instead of your bionic robo-hands this wouldn't happen.
Old 05-13-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I usually play with the same group of folks but still manage to get dinged from time to time by sore losers. Right now I think I'm avoided by 33% of gamers for language which is hilarious considering that I rarely make a peep over the headset no matter what the situation.
Old 05-13-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Way to not challenge my in Carcassonne you wuss.
Old 05-14-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Way to not challenge my in Carcassonne you wuss.
I haven't seen you online when i play, plus you'll beat me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.