How much money did GTA IV make?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How much money did GTA IV make?

Old 05-07-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Really Pixy?

According to VGChartz.com, GTA III sold 6.55 M in the US, 0.36M in Japan and 4.69 M in other reigons for a total of 11.6 Million copies, of which a whopping 3.1% were sold in Japan.

For GTA Vice City, 8.20 M in US, 0.47 M in Japan and 5.53 in others for a total of 14.20 Million copies sold, 3.3% sold in Japan.

How does that crow taste?
You were missing one word in your original post to make it valid: comparatively.

What other imports reach anywhere near those numbers? Sure, it isn't monstrous by any means, and is miniscule compared to other regions, but that's still pretty damn impressive for the region.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-07-08 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does that crow taste?
What crow? Those numbers are GREAT for Japan considering the genre and subject matter. Gun and murder games are NOT popular there. I repeat: Gun and murder games are not popular in Japan. I know that's extremely difficult for some people to understand (for whatever reason). As a counterpoint, Dragon Quest VIII sold over 3,000,000 in Japan and under 500,000 here.. and we have twice the population! But guess what? That was considered a success, it made Greatest Hits and opened the door for the franchise to be reinvigorated outside of Japan.
Old 05-07-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

San Andreas was the only non-Japanese game to crack the top 50 (in Japan) in terms of sales in 2007, ranking in at #37. It did pretty damn well.
Old 05-07-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
You were missing one word in your original post to make it valid: comparatively.

What other imports reach anywhere near those numbers? Sure, it isn't monstrous by any means, and is miniscule compared to other regions, but that's still pretty damn impressive for the region.
Well, if Japanese refuse to buy games developed for by another country's developers, that's their call, but there shouldn't be a qualifier because if a game is a hit there, it'll sell tremendously regardless of their smaller population.

Random example hit game : New Super Mario Bros : Japan 5.34 m, US 4.39m, Other 4.54 m for a total of 14.27 million games, 37.8% sold in Japan.

So I stand by what I originally posted : The GTA games sell poorly in Japan (compared to their sales in both the US and other reigons).
Old 05-07-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only that isn't what your originally posted . It's a nearly impenetrable market, it's a free roaming, hard edged game series set in modern times and it still sold nearly half a million copies over there, and isn't even a handheld game, that's pretty damn impressive. Now if you wanted to make a point, you would point out that Vice City Stories utterly bombed over there.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-07-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-07-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I stand by what I originally posted : The GTA games sell poorly in Japan (compared to their sales in both the US and other reigons).
The point you're missing is that GTA games actually sell well in Japan (compared to the sales of other "sandbox" games in the region).

I love something as universal as Super Mario Brothers being a random example. Why not compare Japan's love of Saint's Row or Crackdown to GTA?
Old 05-07-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
I wonder how it sold in Japan (if it was even released there yet). I know the previous GTA games sold shockingly poorly in Japan for whatever cultural reason...
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Gun and murder games are NOT popular there. I repeat: Gun and murder games are not popular in Japan.
Old 05-07-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I imagine it depends on how you look at it and how far you want to break it down further from Japan sales versus US sales all the way down to Japan sales of this particular genre or by US developers.

I don't think either statement is wrong; overall it sold poorly. But for what it is and where it came from, it was pretty good.

It's like comparing MMORPG's to other sales and genres, where success can be dependent on what you're actually comparing it to. A game could sell 300k copies and be a success in the field, but compared to WoW it looks terrible, and it looks terrible compared to regular games that sell 1 million plus.
Old 05-07-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the new GTA holds the record for the largest first week sales of any video game ever...

and it crushed the last game that held the top notch...

saw a story on the news about it this morning...
Old 05-07-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
What crow? Those numbers are GREAT for Japan considering the genre and subject matter. Gun and murder games are NOT popular there. I repeat: Gun and murder games are not popular in Japan.
That sounds like a cultural reason.
Old 05-07-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Maybe I over-reacted. Sorry. I still dispute that my statement was "False" -- maybe it's a matter of perspective but I was shocked by the small sales numbers in Japan for such popular, influential games worldwide.

I had said there was a cultural reason for the poor sales and Pixy agrees. Still, after checking around today, I think the real reason might be deeper. Checking vgchatz.com, I'm hard-pressed to find a single US-made game that sold well in Japan. From God Of War to Ratchet & Clank to The Sims to Halo 2 to Guitar Hero, they all stink. On the other hand, violent Japanese games like Devil May Cry, Reident Evil or Onimusha sell well.

I won't feel so bad the next time a wonderful Japanese game like Loco Roco or Okami bombs in the US -- they had it coming.
Old 05-07-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I would bet $50 that if Square-Enix put out an FPS, it would sell in Japan
Old 05-07-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My point was that the games were successful DESPITE the cultural difference not that they sold poorly BECAUSE of it. That's a big difference. The fact that they sold poorly compared to other regions is a completely and utterly useless bit of bullet-point information. Capcom would definitely agree with that, otherwise they would never have released Vice City and San Andreas if GTA III had done "shockingly poorly" and they would not be releasing GTA IV later this year.

Also, The Sims and Ratchet and Clank are both fairly popular in Japan. All the Ratchet games quickly get "Best Hits" releases. Guitar Hero might not be popular because they've had Guitar Freaks long before Harmonix.. ahem, was "inspired" by it.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I would bet $50 that if Square-Enix put out an FPS, it would sell in Japan
They did (sort of) and it bombed (sort of).
Old 05-07-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to get off topic but...

Take-Two's 'Grand Theft Auto IV' tops $500M in week 1 sales

NEW YORK - "Grand Theft Auto IV" raked in more than $500 million in its first week in stores, selling more than 6 million units worldwide, the video game's publisher said Wednesday.

The highly anticipated title from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. has received stellar ratings along with criticism for its violent content. The game follows Eastern European immigrant-turned gangster Niko Bellic on crime missions around a fictional Liberty City.

The title sold about 3.6 million units on April 29, its opening day, bringing in roughly $310 million. This is $10 million more than what Microsoft Corp.'s "Halo 3," another blockbuster game, took in during its first week last fall.

New York-based Take-Two is the subject of a $2 billion hostile buyout from larger rival Electronic Arts Inc., which Take-Two has repeatedly rebuffed as too low.

Take-Two's shares were recently trading at $26.39, above EA's tender offer of $25.74 per share, which expires May 16. Unless EA is willing to offer more, it seems "increasingly possible" the acquisition attempt could unravel, Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey said in a note to investors.

Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter disagrees, however, saying the game's sales were well within his expectations.

"I don't think it changes the value of the company," he said. "I think we are going to end up with a Microsoft-Yahoo situation," with Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick believing the company is worth more and EA chief John Riccitiello disagreeing.

Three months after it first made an offer, Microsoft dropped its $47.5 billion bid for Yahoo Inc. over the weekend after the companies couldn't agree on a price.

Pachter said he expects the game to sell 12 million copies by the end of 2008. GTA's previous versions have sold more than 70 million copies worldwide.

Already, the game seems to be living up to its juicy past, which includes controversy over hidden sex scenes, sharp criticism from Hillary Rodham Clinton and a 2006 lawsuit that blames the game for three New Mexico murders committed by a 14-year-old.

For one, Take-Two sued the Chicago Transit Authority on Monday for removing ads for the game because of its "Mature" rating, which means it is not suitable for people under 17. And the game also caught the ire of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which seeks an adults-only rating because it lets players drive after imbibing in virtual liquor.
Old 05-08-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That info was posted on the first page of the thread but, thanks for sharing.