Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

A look back at Mario 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
A look back at Mario 3

Angry Video Game Nerd Style! Of course its NSFW language:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=33161"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=33161" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Kinda long But at 10:50 it gets
Old 04-24-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
sometimes I find the Angry Video Game Nerd funny, but other times, like this one, he is really reaching.
Old 04-24-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I won't even bother to listen to this. What could possibly be bad about Super Mario 3?
Old 04-24-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The game was released on Playchoice 10 the day The Wizard hit the theaters.

Say what you will about The Wizard, but when I was 13 it was cool for a video game movie.

I saw The Wizard in the theaters Friday night, and was playing Super Mario 3 the next day at the bowling alley.
Old 04-25-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having seen The Wizard again as a grown-up, adult man...it's really not that bad. I mean, yeah it's really corny in retrospect, but still it's a decent kids' movie. I still got a kick out of seeing it again.
Old 04-25-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
He only really says bad things about The Wizard.
And even then, he's only really bitching about it from the aspect of "WAH! I WANT TO SEE PEOPLE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES EVEN THOUGH I COULD BE AT HOME PLAYING THEM MYSELF!!!"

Seriously, I don't get why people pay attention to this guy. He's not particularly witty or well-spoken. Don't get me wrong...as a kid, I was stoked to see Mario 3 footage in The Wizard, but I still paid attention to the rest of the movie. I think we even owned it on VHS (or I taped it off HBO...it was so long ago I can't honestly remember).
Old 04-25-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
Seriously, I don't get why people pay attention to this guy. He's not particularly witty or well-spoken. Don't get me wrong...as a kid, I was stoked to see Mario 3 footage in The Wizard, but I still paid attention to the rest of the movie. I think we even owned it on VHS (or I taped it off HBO...it was so long ago I can't honestly remember).
Different opinions. I don't see what is funny about Zero Punctuation but those videos get a ton of praise.
Old 04-25-08, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
Different opinions. I don't see what is funny about Zero Punctuation but those videos get a ton of praise.
I've given both several tries and I don't care for either, but I can see why folks like 'em. The only part of the Nerd's show I chuckle at pretty frequently is his "frustration-during-gameplay" voiceovers (like when you watch him try to make a jump over and over to no avail in a game like TMNT for the NES).

Nerd and Zero can't be more different, though. They both feature enough profanity-spouting, but Nerd's delivery is pretty juvenile and Zero's is a shade too high-minded (and fast) for my tastes.