Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

March NPD Sales of Wii Domination

Old 04-22-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to see 360 back on top...never counting Wii or handhelds of course
Old 04-22-08, 10:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
PS3 is on top! WOO-HOO! Of course, I don't count Xbox, Wii, or handhelds. #1!!! #1!!! #1!!!
Old 04-22-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
PS3 is on top! WOO-HOO! Of course, I don't count Xbox, Wii, or handhelds. #1!!! #1!!! #1!!!
Groucho, i look to you for my subtle sarcastic humor. You are letting me down with the easy joke here.
Old 04-22-08, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No & 2:1 (360:PS3)

Although just like WiiPlay and Motorstorm we will never truly know how MGS4 really stacks up since it will be a pack in. There won't be any distinction between the individual games sold and systems.
3:1 more likely. DLC Content + Achievements will sway many dual owners to buy the 360 version. I have yet to see any dual format release on the same day sell better on the PS3 then the 360. Typically is at least 2:1.
Old 04-22-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
3:1 more likely. DLC Content + Achievements will sway many dual owners to buy the 360 version. I have yet to see any dual format release on the same day sell better on the PS3 then the 360. Typically is at least 2:1.
Yeah but this is a giant mainstream title. How many people actually KNOW about the DLC situation? Is it in the TV ads? The people trolling websites all day know about it, but with a game expected to do four million plus, that number of people is very, very, very small.
Old 04-22-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the more likely reason for a 3:1 ratio in favor of the 360 version is the 360's larger install base and the fact that pretty much every cross-platform game has sold much better on the 360 than the PS3. The game has a lot of online features, and more people have friends with a 360 than they do friends with a PS3.
Old 04-22-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah but this is a giant mainstream title. How many people actually KNOW about the DLC situation? Is it in the TV ads? The people trolling websites all day know about it, but with a game expected to do four million plus, that number of people is very, very, very small.
Speaking of... where is all the adverts promoting the DLC exclusivity? I figured MS would be all over that shit after dropping $50 million on it. Sure it isn't close to being out yet but they need to dangle that carrot over PS3 owners or potential owners.
Old 04-22-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
GTA4 is the type of game that people who bought PS3's for Blu-Ray playback might dip into as well. I'll be interested in what the ratio ends up being.
Old 04-22-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of... where is all the adverts promoting the DLC exclusivity? I figured MS would be all over that shit after dropping $50 million on it. Sure it isn't close to being out yet but they need to dangle that carrot over PS3 owners or potential owners.
Right. I don’t think Devil May Cry 4 even did 2:1 in favor of the Xbox 360 and Grand Theft Auto is probably still thought of as a Playstation brand among the masses since that's where its primary business was last generation. I have no doubt that the Xbox 360 version now will sell more because of the install-base, but the 2:1 and 3:1 claims are awfully bold.
Old 04-22-08, 11:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder if their tactic is to wait, and get people who buy the PS3 version now to rebuy the 360 version.
Old 04-22-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Right. I don’t think Devil May Cry 4 even did 2:1 in favor of the Xbox 360 and Grand Theft Auto is probably still thought of as a Playstation brand among the masses since that's where its primary business was last generation. I have no doubt that the Xbox 360 version now will sell more because of the install-base, but the 2:1 and 3:1 claims are awfully bold.
100:1 you saw it here first

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd be willing to be that most people don't know about the future DLC for 360 and NEED an excuse to buy a PS3 game. I'd be willing to bet there are a shitload of PS3 owners who don't own the 360 that either bought it as a Blu-Ray player or use it as their Madden player, who also tends to buy the GTA games. I could very well be wrong but I think it's gonna be closer than we're forcasting here.
Old 04-22-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kakihara1

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd be willing to be that most people don't know about the future DLC for 360 and NEED an excuse to buy a PS3 game. I'd be willing to bet there are a shitload of PS3 owners who don't own the 360 that either bought it as a Blu-Ray player or use it as their Madden player, who also tends to buy the GTA games. I could very well be wrong but I think it's gonna be closer than we're forcasting here.
I can easily see this happening. That is why i think a 2:1 ratio is most likely (based upon the current install base). I bet many don't know about the DLC and unless it is included on the posters and marketing materials in-store they probably won't find out.

This is assuming your average gamer and not the rabid type.
Old 04-22-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
glad to see 360 back on top...never counting Wii or handhelds of course

hahah, must make it easy, its like perma-ignore.
Old 04-22-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The are nearly 3 times the 360s in the US as PS3s so 3:1 seems logical to me. Devil May Cry was 650K on the 360 and 450k on the PS3 in the US if VGchartz is close to correct, but this was not a game that would bring out the buyers the way GTAIV will. 3:1 seems very possible.
Old 04-22-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1

Bah that's what I said!
Old 04-22-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
I really do think that a lot of people buying the PS3 are fans that are waiting for big games to come out (and they will eventually) and definitely, oddly enough, lay people that want a hi-def player.

I never would have thought that the PS3 would actually be the console that appeals to the average home theatre person rather then the 360.

Now here is an interesting thought. Suppose the PS3 really did go head to head with the 360 and released at the same time at the same price without a Bluray player. It would have been interesting to see.
Old 04-23-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tanman
Now here is an interesting thought. Suppose the PS3 really did go head to head with the 360 and released at the same time at the same price without a Bluray player. It would have been interesting to see.
Not really. Barring hi-def and both were priced the same and released on the same day, Sony would be light years ahead of the 360. The PS brand was untouchable. Problem is, people wanted a reasonably priced GAMING console. MS delivered, Sony didn't. Hence their current situation.
Old 04-23-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone cares... I don't really...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189713.html
Old 04-23-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chris_D
If anyone cares... I don't really...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189713.html

GTA is a North American-centric title. All they provide are stats from Australia? Isn't the PS3 in the lead there? Why not call around to some American corporations to get some estimates? Weak article.