Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top 100 selling games of the past 12 months

Old 04-17-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Top 100 selling games of the past 12 months

This is kinda depressing.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=9639&Itemid=2

It's obviously skewed with counting all consoles but depressing nonetheless.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 04-17-08 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
Click on Print to easily navigate to all titles.
Old 04-17-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Well, now you know why there are so many crappy licensed movie-tie-in games. Transformers and Harry Potter are both nearly 4 million sellers? That's pretty sick.

It still boggles my mind how well the Guitar Hero games sell -- not that they aren't good, because they are, but rather that a game that expensive and non-traditional from a videogame perspective could move THAT many copies.
Old 04-17-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, even though the game was panned I would expect Transformers to sell well. The toys and stuff still fly off the shelves, so I'm sure plenty of parents bought that for their kids this x-mas...but 4 million is crazy.
Old 04-17-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I have to agree with the guys at Gamers With Jobs. Look at any medium, it's not out of the ordinary for the bestselling stuff to be shit. Look at music, movies and books, video games are no different.
Old 04-17-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts
I don't know. There are quite a few great games on the list. You also have to take into account that games like Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers and Spider-Man: Friend or Foe had pretty rapid price drops. If I recall correctly, they were all fairly easy to get for $15-$25 during and after the holidays.
Old 04-17-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Pixy sees this, he'll shit bricks.

But yeah - this only proves that what we see here on VGTalk is nothing but a tiny fraction of the gaming populous.
Old 04-17-08, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But I thought VGTalk was a "mainstream" forum.
Old 04-17-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Tygan
But I thought VGTalk was a "mainstream" forum.

Maybe "mainstream" compared to other video game forums but this is still a video game subset in a DVD forum so yeah not quite so mainstream compared to the general populous.
Old 04-17-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Populous.

I think you guys meant populace.

Also, Rock Band outsold Shrek the Third. That's all I care about.
Old 04-17-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Populous.

I think you guys meant populace.

Also, Rock Band outsold Shrek the Third. That's all I care about.
Nope - I meant Populous! I loved that fucking game.
Old 04-17-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Nope - I meant Populous! I loved that fucking game.
Not to derail, but you know there's a DS version coming, yeah?
Old 04-17-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Not to derail, but you know there's a DS version coming, yeah?
too bad I gave my DS to my nephews about a year ago. The best part, I trickle my game collection up to them one at a time so they think I'm the coolest uncle in the world. lol.
Old 04-17-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was surprised to see Bioshock so far down the list. And, FIFA at number 4?
Old 04-17-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by edstein
Non-Americans love their football.
Old 04-17-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FIFA destroys sales....come live in San Diego Man I hate soccer...
Old 04-17-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strange thing is, at work we didn't sell a single copy of Halo 3 the day of it's release. Even though they say it was the biggest sales day in entertainment history, or something like that.

btw. I work in one of the top 10 electronics stores in Australia, and our branch comes about 6th or 7th in the group for turnover.
Old 04-17-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm actually surprised that a lot of those games sold as well as they did. I know the Medal Of Honor series is still very popular, but 820k for Vanguard on PS2? yikes...
Old 04-17-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Crysis wasn't even in the top 100?
Old 04-17-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
Crysis wasn't even in the top 100?
With the hardware requirements, I'm not surprised.
Old 04-17-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
With the hardware requirements, I'm not surprised.
Exactly, that's going to be a great game to play 10 years from now when I have a system that will run it at 60fps instead of 15fps.
Old 04-17-08, 03:46 PM

I don't like how many FPSs sell on consoles. Not because they're bad games, but because they don't work on consoles, and few console gamers (of which I'm one) will admit it. Mouse + keyboard > gamepad, for every FPS you can name. But the Xbox was basically designed from the ground up to play Halo (which was highly mediocre) and both Microsoft's and Sony's consoles are for the most part decidedly at the gritty, realistic, adult end of the game spectrum, that lends itself to more and more FPSs. To anyone who plays Call of Duty 4 on a console and sings its praises - I beg of you, play it on a PC and it'll be even more immersive.

The only FPSs I'll readily admit have worked on consoles are Goldeneye and Timesplitters 1 and 2. Why? They played to a large strength of the console - multiplayer. Without online - where you're still quite isolated - or a LAN party - and even they're relatively reserved affairs, with everyone stuck behind their own PC - it's difficult to have a half-decent multiplayer FPS experience on a PC. Consoles thrive on this: you're all sitting on sofas, looking at one TV, passing controllers and alcohol around, and so what that everyone else is looking at your screen and knows where you're camping? Only assholes camp, you know that. Timesplitters 2 was about as good as it got for a multiplayer FPS experience, with forgiving auto-aim (precise aiming is a large weakness of the console gamepad), fun characters, well-designed levels, well-balanced guns, good game modes and health levels... it was superb. On my birthday about 12 of us stayed up all night playing TS2 and Manhunt. It was an excellent night.

(You might also notice that these three games are all developed by Free Radical. It seems they know how to do this, though I'm wary of how good Haze is going to be.)

--------

I don't like the GTA: Stories games. Note that these are the PS2 conversions, not the PSP originals. I don't have a PSP but I'm sure they work on it. From what I know (I played Vice City Stories for a while on a mate's PSP) the missions are designed to be short, as you're unlikely to spend as long playing a handheld console as you are a home machine. And that's fine, it shows that the dev team has thought carefully about the platform they're making the game for and how to best use it. But... then they went and put it on PS2! Where you want a FAR more substantial experience. That shows the publisher putting no thought into the game's conversion, or rather, the publisher knowing full well that it's not worth it because it'll sell a ton anyway.

--------

Skate was really good, and blew away the Tony Hawk's games at its first try with a really clever, intuitive control system. That's all for that.

--------

The Guitar Hero games are great, though the third (as it was developed by Neversoft) had more 'gamey' elements such as the battle powerups, and detracted slightly from the point of the game, which as I see it isn't to win per se, but to be awesome and cool - a guitar hero, right? They're all good regardless, I'd just like them to include more music that I know. Perhaps they could consult me.

I suggest that people who like the Guitar Hero franchise should find and play Frequency and Amplitude, which are Bemani games featuring electronic, dance, techno, trance music (well, you get the idea) and Gitaroo Man, which is so fucking hard I might just die, but it's excellent nonetheless.

--------

Forza annoys me, largely because it's not as good at Gran Turismo but all the Xbots think it is. GT5 Prologue only has five tracks and seventy-odd cars, and still kicks the shit out of it.

--------

I don't like the Brain Age games because they're not games, they're a waste of space. So they keep your mind relatively sharp and active... do a crossword a day. Same effect, much cheaper, and you don't have to rely on a games console to tell you that you're smart. They're not games, they're a by-the-numbers way to get a lot of cash very quickly, but they're sadly not as fun as most cash cow games.

--------

The Halo series is vastly overrated.

--------

And Call of Duty 4 is an incredible gaming experience. Buy it. Buy it now. But on the PC.
Old 04-17-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orderandlaw

I don't like how many FPSs sell on consoles. Not because they're bad games, but because they don't work on consoles, and few console gamers (of which I'm one) will admit it.
Yup, everyone who bought Resistance, Halo, Orange Box, and COD4 on consoles is clearly delusional. Oh well at least we're having fun in our delusion.
Old 04-17-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I traded my mouse and keyboard in for a 65" hdtv, gamepad and a sofa and I don't regret it one bit. The constant pc upgrades, driver issues and, limited friend lists really pushed me over to the console gaming genre.
Old 04-17-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I traded my mouse and keyboard in for a 65" hdtv, gamepad and a sofa and I don't regret it one bit. The constant pc upgrades, driver issues and, limited friend lists really pushed me over to the console gaming genre.
I agree. I just don't get PC gaming.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.