Old 04-16-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Have one, never use it.
Old 04-17-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by RobLutter
Uh.... it's in high definition, all the games are online in some way (at least with the 360), surround sound, etc...

One is a TV remote that you waggle across the room... one has a standard two-handed controller.

There's lots of differences.
So, the resolution you play a game at makes that much difference for you? Does high-def automatically improve a crappy game?

Two handed controller makes them better somehow ( I think some mouse/keyboard PC users would like to talk to you, heck....have you actually tried MP3 or MOH: H2, now that's some excellent control)?
Old 04-17-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the Wii right after launch. The first game I bought was Mario Galaxy, almost a year after we got it. We play it maybe 3-4 hrs a month. I like the innovation of the system and all, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the PS3 and 360 in terms of gameplay. And playing on a HD TV doesn't help with the graphics much either. Remember, this is just my 2 cents...
Old 04-17-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I have a little Wiimorse but only because the 360 keeps me so busy. I still love it and have a few games in my unplayed pile, but the Live experience (checking to see what friends are playing and being available for invites) keeps me turning on that system first and before I know it, it's 1am and time to retire.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There's a big difference between the hardcore Halo 3 player, the mainstream or casual Wii player, and whatever the hell Pixy is
Let me say that I'm not a "laugh out loud" type of person but that had me cracking up sitting here at work.
Old 04-17-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So, the resolution you play a game at makes that much difference for you? Does high-def automatically improve a crappy game?
Not only resolution, but graphics. The realism of a game can be such a big part of the gaming experience, for example: Assassin's Creed. Compare the Creed against a game like Zelda. Graphically superior, thousands of spoken sentences, achievement points, and the 'possibility' of downloadable content. The 360/PS3 not only looks better, but has better, or more open-ended, features available. Compare the Creed to the Altair game on the DS.

I guess when you're pulling out nosehairs (WarioWare) & whacking a rubber frog (Carnival Games) graphics don't matter. But in a realistic environment, graphics certainly do enhance a game. Would you still having fun playing Mario Galaxy if it had Atari 2600 graphics? I think not. ET anyone?
Old 04-17-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Are you saying Creed was better than Zelda?
Old 04-17-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Not only resolution, but graphics. The realism of a game can be such a big part of the gaming experience, for example: Assassin's Creed. Compare the Creed against a game like Zelda. Graphically superior, thousands of spoken sentences, achievement points, and the 'possibility' of downloadable content. The 360/PS3 not only looks better, but has better, or more open-ended, features available. Compare the Creed to the Altair game on the DS.

I guess when you're pulling out nosehairs (WarioWare) & whacking a rubber frog (Carnival Games) graphics don't matter. But in a realistic environment, graphics certainly do enhance a game. Would you still having fun playing Mario Galaxy if it had Atari 2600 graphics? I think not. ET anyone?
Oh my. So graphical superiority automatically makes one game better than the other? Let's see: Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess=93.9 avg review score. Assassin's Creed=80.6/82.3/77.2 on PS3/360/PC. Hmm...maybe not.

Comparing a 360 game to a DS game? C'mon. I agree with you that graphics enhance a game, but they sure don't improve it's actual gameplay. I mean, bad is bad no matter how pretty.

I guess graphics and stuff must be the reason why the original Counterstrike has more players than it's snazzier Source powered sibling. Or why UT2004 and even the original Unreal have more players than the new fancy UT3.

I guess gameplay IS actually more important to a lot of people. Not just me!

But I guess since you assume that the entire Wii library is like Wario/Carnival games I can see how you might be unhappy.
Old 04-17-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh my. So graphical superiority automatically makes one game better than the other? Let's see: Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess=93.9 avg review score. Assassin's Creed=80.6/82.3/77.2 on PS3/360/PC. Hmm...maybe not.

Comparing a 360 game to a DS game? C'mon. I agree with you that graphics enhance a game, but they sure don't improve it's actual gameplay. I mean, bad is bad no matter how pretty.

I guess graphics and stuff must be the reason why the original Counterstrike has more players than it's snazzier Source powered sibling. Or why UT2004 and even the original Unreal have more players than the new fancy UT3.

But I guess since you assume that the entire Wii library is like Wario/Carnival games I can see how you might be unhappy.
I don't think he's saying that graphics automatically make a game better, just that it helps enhance an experience depending on the type of game. I haven't played Ass Creed yet, but just looking at it you can tell that it would be a different experience if the graphics weren't up to snuff. Something like Gears of War would probably be too.

Stylized or cartoony graphics and art direction help alleviate that, but when you look at something like Red Steel on the Wii is when you yearn for something a bit prettier.
Old 04-17-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL, I don't care what the game was rated. The Wii is outselling the 360 & I don't play the Wii, so numbers mean nothing, to me at least.

I guess I should've compared it to a GameCube game since that's what most of their games look like. Graphics can make a good game great. Targeting makes more sense (again, to me) if you have a sharper image to shoot at. Let's look at movies. How many people are buying movies in HD that they already own on DVD? Lots & lots, and why? THEY FRIGGIN LOOK BETTER. Why would people buy a movie that they already own if graphics & resolution don't matter?

The same reason some people like GH:2 more than GH:3, or Terminator 2 instead of Terminator 3, or the first three Star Wars movies over the newer ones, or NFL2K5 over the newer Madden releases? A shit game/movie is still a shit game, but when comparing apples to apples, like Wii vs 360, or BluRay vs DVD, graphics & resolution are an important addition.

Gameplay is important to me. I have never bought a 360 game (other than Ridge Racer for $5) that didn't get at least 100+ hours of play. I'm selective, and I enjoy my 360 purchases. My point is, in our family of 5 people, the Wii still hasn't been used 100+ hours in 16 months.

~S2K
Old 04-17-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Peoples' problems with Red Steel weren't the graphics. The controls were SHIT.
Old 04-18-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
So when the Wii and DS change what gaming is today and further mature the market, your military and crime games that you love so much won't be going anywhere. They're just going to have share the spotlight with Wii Fit and Cooking Mama. And the Twinkle Fairy RPGs I love will be there as well.
Agreed. And people that thrive on those kind of games are the ones disappointed with the Wii.

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Gameplay is important to me. I have never bought a 360 game (other than Ridge Racer for $5) that didn't get at least 100+ hours of play. I'm selective, and I enjoy my 360 purchases. My point is, in our family of 5 people, the Wii still hasn't been used 100+ hours in 16 months.

~S2K
You see, there is also a difference in the amount of time people spend gaming. In my mind the amount of time they are gaming is a big part of that hardcore equation.

I haven't dumped 100 hours into any game in the past few years besides Gears of War online (which I am plenty addicted too). Maybe Halo 3 if you add the single player + multiplayer up.

My only gaming time is from 9pm to about 1am-2am and that leaves me with 5-6 hours of sleep before work (assuming the baby doesn't get up). And less than that if I'm watching a movie with the wife or the kids don't get to bed on time.

So I get in probably get in a high of 24 hours a week, and a low of maybe 10-12 hours a week. Averaging 18 hours a week that's a little over 800 hours a year. I assume a lot of those 100 hours of play are achievements or online play or something? Because I can't think of a 100-hour game. The last one that I played approaching that much I can think of was Dragon Quest 7 on the PS1...or maybe Star Ocean 3 on the PS2 (about 70, never did finish it).

I guess if I was blowing through games like some folks do, maybe I'd be disappointed with the Wii lineup. But I still haven't really touched Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, or even unlucked everything in Rayman RR. I was about 20 hours into Zelda:TP which I bought at Wii launch but I haven't gotten back to it. I still want to get Metroid when it gets cheap because I loved it on rent.

What's weird is, the 360 is my most-played console. By far. But that's mainly my Gears addiction. But the Wii is still my favorite for single-player activities, and for multiplayer when people are over.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-18-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I bought my Wii on launch day, and have not been disappointed at all.

I don't think that the Wii was ever intended to be for people who play videogames every day. I read about how people run through a game in 2 or 3 sittings where it takes me weeks upon weeks and even then, can't complete.

My gaming time is limited to 2-3 hours during the week, another 1-2 hours on the weekend... that's it.

So given that, (and a PS3) there are still plenty of games for the Wii that I want to play... and still games that I go back to.
Old 04-18-08, 11:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's strange, because when I'm playing a Wii game I love (RE4 and Super Mario Galaxy), I'm hooked... But there are also long stretches where the thing never gets turned on. And for whatever reason, I still haven't completed Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda. I was really into both games at first but just lost interest somewhere. (MP3 was a victim of Bioshock distracting me away.)

But despite this, I don't have any remorse. It doesn't get used as much as my 360, but so what? Super Mario Galaxy was a life saver when my 360 went down for RROD over the holidays.
Old 04-18-08, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, based on this thread surely the Wii is doomed. And I have no doubt that the official NPD numbers for March will confirm my prognosis.
Old 04-18-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, based on this thread surely the Wii is doomed. And I have no doubt that the official NPD numbers for March will confirm my prognosis.

Whaaaat???? At the risk of coming off angry and hurt like PixyJ all this thread means is not every person who bought a Wii is as happy with it as some of you think they should be. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Everyone has their reason(s) and guess what?? That's ok. The Wii selling "Eleventy-Gazzilion" in a month doesn't mean every sale was satisfying to every buyer. Of course most probably were and most of us who aren't as happy realize we're in the minority. But get real, there's no fuckin' way every Wii buyer has been happy. The product that can can make everyone buyer happy doesn't exist. There are unhappy PS3 buyers, 360 buyers, and believe it or not...UNHAPPY Wii buyers. GASP!!!!

All 3 systems have good and bad...I know it's hard for Wii Fans to understand this but it's TRUE. I don't hate my Wii but I'm as happy with it as others here.

But I get the what you Wii Boys are going through. When I read that some of the 360 owners were ditching their consoles for various reasons ranging from frustration with the RROD issues to just being overall unhappy with the system, for some reason I took it personally. I felt like they were traitors. But then I got over it and got a life after about 5 minutes of hurt.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-18-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Of course not, you have to have already bought a Wii for the Wiimorse to kick in. Duh.
Old 04-18-08, 02:52 PM

Whatever the antonym of remorse is- take that and cleverly replace part of that word with "Wii," and that's my feeling on the subject.
Old 04-18-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
You see, there is also a difference in the amount of time people spend gaming. In my mind the amount of time they are gaming is a big part of that hardcore equation.

I haven't dumped 100 hours into any game in the past few years besides Gears of War online (which I am plenty addicted too). Maybe Halo 3 if you add the single player + multiplayer up.

My only gaming time is from 9pm to about 1am-2am and that leaves me with 5-6 hours of sleep before work (assuming the baby doesn't get up). And less than that if I'm watching a movie with the wife or the kids don't get to bed on time.

So I get in probably get in a high of 24 hours a week, and a low of maybe 10-12 hours a week. Averaging 18 hours a week that's a little over 800 hours a year. I assume a lot of those 100 hours of play are achievements or online play or something? Because I can't think of a 100-hour game. The last one that I played approaching that much I can think of was Dragon Quest 7 on the PS1...or maybe Star Ocean 3 on the PS2 (about 70, never did finish it).

I guess if I was blowing through games like some folks do, maybe I'd be disappointed with the Wii lineup. But I still haven't really touched Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, or even unlucked everything in Rayman RR. I was about 20 hours into Zelda:TP which I bought at Wii launch but I haven't gotten back to it. I still want to get Metroid when it gets cheap because I loved it on rent.

What's weird is, the 360 is my most-played console. By far. But that's mainly my Gears addiction. But the Wii is still my favorite for single-player activities, and for multiplayer when people are over.
I'm talking about 100+ hours of gameplay from the entire family, but there are plenty of games that I have put that much time into by myself, like Halo 3, Oblivion, Bioshock, GH & Rock Band, etc... The amount of time that I get in per week is similar to yours, usually between 8-9pm to midnight. My day off from work may get me a couple extra hours. My entire family games, and we have two 360's, a PS3, a Wii, and the computer. You can bet that a game is being played at my house by somebody at (almost) all times. My boys get up early for school so they can squeeze a half hour of Halo 3 in before catching the bus.

I don't want to keep praising the 360, and I'm certainly not bashing anyone for their Wii love, I'm just saying that in our family, which easily games a combined 100 hours a week, the Wii is a paperweight...and with that many hours of play, a system shouldn't be neglected. The PS3 has been played for around 10 hours in 14 months, but the BluRay milage is astronomical, which is exactly what I bought it for. I wouldn't trade my PS3 for anything. That brings up my point of...Gimme something that will get some play in my house. I thought for sure that Smash Bros. would be the title for my boys, but they hated the awkwardness of the Wiimotes, and their GC controllers just wasn't doing it for them. As I said from day one, there should be a second (standard) controller for the Wii so you have the option for every game.
Old 04-18-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Whaaaat???? At the risk of coming off angry and hurt like PixyJ all this thread means is not every person who bought a Wii is as happy with it as some of you think they should be. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Everyone has their reason(s) and guess what?? That's ok. The Wii selling "Eleventy-Gazzilion" in a month doesn't mean every sale was satisfying to every buyer. Of course most probably were and most of us who aren't as happy realize we're in the minority. But get real, there's no fuckin' way every Wii buyer has been happy. The product that can can make everyone buyer happy doesn't exist. There are unhappy PS3 buyers, 360 buyers, and believe it or not...UNHAPPY Wii buyers. GASP!!!!

All 3 systems have good and bad...I know it's hard for Wii Fans to understand this but it's TRUE. I don't hate my Wii but I'm as happy with it as others here.
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but the difference seems to be that the other systems don't have threads dedicated to griping about them. Well, the official PS3 thread was like that for a while, but it's turned around a bit since then...
Old 04-18-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I bought a Wii right after launch and only use it to show off the Demo disc. When in the living hell is a good baseball or golf game going to come out?? I know Tiger Woods is ok, but this system was created for sports junkies when the weather sucks --- so come on Nintendo!
Old 04-18-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but the difference seems to be that the other systems don't have threads dedicated to griping about them. Well, the official PS3 thread was like that for a while, but it's turned around a bit since then...

That's because people constantly gripe -IN- the threads. But it seems if you gripe about the Wii, you either get a thread showing how you must be wrong because the Wii is selling well, flamed, straight up insulted with half serious name calling, ignored, or shouted down by dedicated Wii/Nintendo fans.

Don't deny it!!! "Hardcore"(or whatever the fuck that means around here ) Wii fans are violent rabid Sons of Bitches!!!

But seriously, if the PS3 thread did in fact turn around then maybe Sony started stepping up and changing things for the better? Maybe people started responding to some kind of positive effort Sony was making? I don't know since I don't have a PS3.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't think new effort is needed since Wii's are selling like hotcakes. There will always be a percentage of unsatisfied customers so why bother doing anything for them too? Fuck 'em right?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-18-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not into video games like I was growing up. Maybe because I'm still so fond of 2D side-scrollers and beat 'em ups, I'm just not blown away by the 360 and the PS3. I can say I camped out for a Wii on Februrary and slept in my car overnight in the Target parking lot to get one (which was foolish in the end.. the store ended up getting 65 systems and people didn't even start lining up until 7am).

You can call me a Nintendo fan-boy I suppose, although I'm not anti-MS or Sony. I've just always been a fan of Nintendo properties, having grown up with all of their systems in the past (I guess the same can be said with me about Sega, too). That's the reason I was attracted to it, simply because it's a Nintendo system.

I wasn't in it for the novelty, although I must say it's different, but this thread doesn't surprise me. I know a lot of people that have Wiis and don't play them. I have to admit I haven't touched mine in almost a month. I got sick as shit of Subspace Emissary in SSBB, and already unlocked all the characters.. so I became bored of it. The only games I purchase nowadays are the big Nintendo titles (i.e. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) anyway.

But, to be perfectly honest, I still play my NES and Super NES a LOT more than I play recent systems (i.e. the GameCube and Wii).

Again, I don't find any novelty in it, just nostalgia.. I'm partial to Nintendo characters. This thread makes me want to try Zelda a little bit tonight.. I still haven't played it yet.
Old 04-18-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
So you mean gripes about red rings don't count?

Anyway, this thread is just based around the initially linked article which I thought was fairly well written and I guess summarises the thoughts of a few people here.
Old 04-18-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did Wii fans really expect any other reaction?

Demo of this board (as well as other boards), are not Nintendo's focus of senior citizens, children and women generally.
Old 04-18-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That's because people constantly gripe -IN- the threads. But it seems if you gripe about the Wii, you either get a thread showing how you must be wrong because the Wii is selling well, flamed, straight up insulted with half serious name calling, ignored, or shouted down by dedicated Wii/Nintendo fans.

Don't deny it!!! "Hardcore"(or whatever the fuck that means around here ) Wii fans are violent rabid Sons of Bitches!!!

But seriously, if the PS3 thread did in fact turn around then maybe Sony started stepping up and changing things for the better? Maybe people started responding to some kind of positive effort Sony was making? I don't know since I don't have a PS3.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't think new effort is needed since Wii's are selling like hotcakes. There will always be a percentage of unsatisfied customers so why bother doing anything for them too? Fuck 'em right?
The PS3 thread turned around, IMHO, because people just lost interest. Seriously, there is very little game discussion going on, and the PS3 specific game threads just seem to die. Most of the discussion is on Blu Ray playback. I think the hot topic recently was the latest firmware update that put in a resume function for dvd playback. We'll see if MGS turns it around.

Nintendo, I think, is doing a pretty good job bringing AAA games out for the Wii. Other publishers are picking up some of the slack (hello No More Heroes, even if you didn't seem to sell in Japan as well as expected). I'll gripe about the lack of online as much as the next guy, but they've been wildly successful, and they've been coming out with games that cater to their audience. Because of the limitations on graphics and resolution, we're not going to get the same kind of eye candy as on the other machines, but that's to be expected, and the much lower price makes it attractive to those casual gamers. Also, because of the controls, I don't think you're going to get a really satisfying fighting game either, and I'm sure other genres are affected.

I look at it like the DS: the first year or so were a bunch of tech demos that forced the use of the stylus. Yet some of my favorite games on the DS either use the stylus minimally or not at all. There are some great games that fully incorporate the various features of the DS, but there are games that are just great anyway. I'm hoping developers, lured by the fan base that the Wii has, will start making some games that hey, maybe just use the classic controller, but are still just fun to play. Heck, bring on some 2d games.

Of course, I loved my Gamecube too. Didn't play it as much as my PS2, and never bought a multi-console game on it, hated the controller, but loved it all the same.

I will say this: House of the Dead 2 & 3, budget game though it may be, really really hurts my eyes. Ugh. And I agree, where are the great sports games?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.