Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wiimorse

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am actually quite content with my Wii. I am a long-time PC gamer and never owned a console gaming system as I never warmed up to the controls (I'm a mouse and keyboard guy). Therefore my expectations for the Wii may not have been as high as traditional console gamers.
The Wii was simply be a gaming system that would be played when I wanted to game with my wife or if we had guests over. I have a baby so I knew game time would be limited so maybe that has helped prolong its appeal since when I infrequently get to play it still holds my interest. My PC will continue to be my gaming preference(although I do wish I could get my wife into PC gaming with something simple like a Diablo game) and the Wii so far continues to be a very adequate secondary system that fills the gaps left by my PC.
Old 04-16-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really have wiimorse (as I bought the Wii with some easy to come by gamerush credit) since it was mainly for my kids to begin with. I think I grew out of the "mario/zelda" phase long ago. I just can't seem to get into any of the games. And no, I am not one of those that only own 3 games, I currently have 15 and have had a half a dozen others. I find it funny that the Wii's biggest game this year, SSBB, might as well have been a Gamecube release as it doesn't make use of the motion controls at all and is best played with a Wavebird (IMO).

I guess things might be different if I didn't have other consoles, maybe I'd spend more time on the ones that I have and give the sports game a try. As it stands, the Wii will probably stay turned off until Mario Kart is released, and there's a good chance that a couple days later it will go back into hibernation. (My kids prefer their DS)

I'm hoping something comes along that hooks me, kind of how my PS3 lay dormant until The Show came along. (Oh, and before anyone calls me out on being a Halo l33tist, check my stats... my favorite 360 game to date is Blue Dragon)

I don't think I would want an 11 year old girl reviewing any game I bought for any system (I take that back, it would have been nice before I picked up that shit pressed between 2 disks called Petz: Horsez 2 for my kid...tried to unload it on the 8 year old girl down the street and she laughed at me)
Old 04-16-08, 12:13 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I bought the Wii for my kids at launch, and yeah, after the first couple months of mainly WiiSports, they really didn't play it at all. I purchased many new games and they just haven't show any interest. That is, until Super Smash Bros came out, as now they are playing every day. It really is all about the games, and last year there just wasn't that many great games available. I think Mario Kart will keep them hooked for a while, and I'm still contemplating WiiFit. If Animal Crossing comes out this fall, then everything afterwards will be icing on the cake.

I picked up a Xbox 360 last year mainly because one of my kids all time favorite games is Katamari Damacy on the PS2. They played around with the 360 version, and after a few days, basically said the PS2 version was better. They haven't be drawn into Viva Pinata like I thought they would either. Not many other 360 titles that fit the tween girl demographic of my kids.
Old 04-16-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I would love the Wii much more if it had a hard drive and better online. I would pick up Rock Band if it had all the features the 360 has but it doesn't =/
Still debating if I want to return GH3 to activision for the $100+ check.
External drive and better online should be in the near future.

Blame the devs for Rock Band on that. They didnt want to wait for larger storage to come available, so in order to cash in they put out what they could.

As a sidenote, it seems that if GH or RB didnt exist nowadays the entire gaming industry would collapse.

Also when do we get to see other genres besided rock?

Orchestral Hero, or Jazz Band anyone? You may be able to 5 star "Ironman" in your sleep but can you perfect Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Major? Or mastering something from Ellington, Basie or Goodman?

Or if you want to stick with the whole guitar theme what about mastering some pieces from Andres Segovia? Then maybe you'll be a true "guitar" hero.
Old 04-16-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
In general, I think the America mainstream gamer, who now pretentiously claim to be the "hardcore" but will shy away from any game that doesn't auto-save for them every thirty seconds and provide them with Easy and Baby difficulties and only play the games featured heavily on the cover of The Official Xbox Magazine and advertised on their favorite NBC show, are probably the ones the Wii is definitely NOT meant for.. yet they're the ones that will be the most vocal about it disappointing them because they feel it threatens the hobby they've been so intimately attached to for the precious six years it's been MTV "cool" to play Halo and they tend to be the ones who spend all their times on forums, blogs and podcasts trying to be a part of the "new majority."

I think there are certainly valid complaints about the Wii. The controls aren't perfect in every game, but it's wildly new technology and it's not as simple as the on and off switches of past controllers. But there are valid complaints about every system, there always has been and there always will be. However, the pendulum will swing heavily in one direction here because this is a VERY, VERY, VERY mainstream gaming forum. Plain and simple. Most of the gamers here are the ones that are essentially focus group fodder. They're interviewed by obnoxious research firms in the mall and they give all the expected answers, never straying from the path. We have an eight page thread on Lost via Domus. Eight pages! Of course, the people that happily put their $60 down on that tripe are probably the ones dismissing the Wii (and complaining that Ikaruga is $10), so it's hard to take the complaints seriously, in my opinion.

Now, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with that (I guess). You play what you like, I play what I like. But would you want an eleven year girl reviewing Gears of War 2 and writing it about it her blog? No, it'd be absolute nonsense obviously. So why is it okay for somebody who tracks their Call of Duty 4 rank on an daily basis and has watched every Grand Theft Auto IV trailer seventy times have a valid say on Wii Fit? That's the general feeling I get with most of "Wii Remorse" posts. Most, not all. That's certainly not to say there can't be any cross-over and that's not to say people that the Wii is more aimed for won't be disappointed with it, but most of the venom you see on the internet comes from people whose opinion on the matter is pretty far from being relevant to their tastes.

Wow...just wow.
Old 04-16-08, 12:49 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a PS3 and Wii owner I can say with 100% certainty that there is no buyer's remorse on my part. In fact, in comparing the two consoles, I prefer the Wii by a fairly notable margin. I have been a loyal Nintendo fan for what feels like forever, so I couldn't imagine a day that I'd still be in the gaming scene without Nintendo exclusives to play. In the Wii's short lifespan, I'd put Zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy against the best three games either the 360 or the PS3 have to offer: now or in the future. That might be hard to swallow for some, but it obviously boils down to what you are looking for out of gaming. Ingenuity is key with me, and the Wii obviously brings that in spades.

The control for the Wii is brilliant to me, and its not because most games are "waggle" heavy. The design of the nunchuk and Wiimote allow for comfort of play that bests the 360 or PS3, even without the motion sensitive portion of controls. After being able to place my arms so far apart with such a great sense of control with the Wii, it always sucks to go back to being centered for an entire game on a standard controller.

Plus, game prices are cheaper, the Virtual Console is awesome and counting, the Opera browser is endlessly useful for the living room (unlike the PS3 one), the Everyone Votes channel is akin to crack cocaine, etc. The bottomline is that I was a Nintendo/Wii fan before the hype, and I'll be one after it.
Old 04-16-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I have absolutely no remorse, because I knew when I bought it that I loved Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc games. If someone doesn't love those games, I can easily see how they'd have remorse.
Old 04-16-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
In general, I think the America mainstream gamer, who now pretentiously claim to be the "hardcore" but will shy away from any game that doesn't auto-save for them every thirty seconds and provide them with Easy and Baby difficulties and only play the games featured heavily on the cover of The Official Xbox Magazine and advertised on their favorite NBC show, are probably the ones the Wii is definitely NOT meant for.. yet they're the ones that will be the most vocal about it disappointing them because they feel it threatens the hobby they've been so intimately attached to for the precious six years it's been MTV "cool" to play Halo and they tend to be the ones who spend all their times on forums, blogs and podcasts trying to be a part of the "new majority."
Your 1st paragraph actually sums up the Wii quite nicely....it's mainstream and bad for gaming, easy baby games, "cool" and "hip"
I think you meant it to go the other way though. I mean, my mom knows what a Wii is, but not Halo...how much more proof does someone need?
Old 04-16-08, 01:14 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I like my Wii. I still buy games for it. I lurves it.
Old 04-16-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's plenty of great games for the system (if you like first party Nintendo):
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
No More Heroes
Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3

Heck... my girlfriend gets a kick out of Big Brain Academy & Cooking Mama.

That said, if you're expecting the same gameplay you get out of 360 and PS3 (which I also own) you're going to be sadly disappointed. Which is why Wii is my living room gaming system.
Old 04-16-08, 02:22 PM

I think if you're a "family" gamer, the Wii works. I tend to only play mine when my son (4 years old) wants to play a game. He doesn't care about innovation, he just wants to run around easily in games, and the Wii's controls make that possible.

But for any non-kid games, I have to say I'm over to the PS3, PC or 360.

What really shocked me was how much my son disliked Mario Galaxy. He thought the game was confusing the way you had to jump between planets. We traded it for Smash Bros. and he's been happy ever since.
Old 04-16-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow...just wow.
No kidding. Come on Pixy, tell us how you REALLY feel...
Old 04-16-08, 04:45 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by RobLutter
That said, if you're expecting the same gameplay you get out of 360 and PS3 (which I also own) you're going to be sadly disappointed. Which is why Wii is my living room gaming system.

What gameplay is so different on the 360/PS3?? I've never understood this stance (along with the whole "hardcore" label).
Old 04-16-08, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow...just wow.
Uh huh
Old 04-16-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
What gameplay is so different on the 360/PS3?? I've never understood this stance (along with the whole "hardcore" label).
Uh.... it's in high definition, all the games are online in some way (at least with the 360), surround sound, etc...

One is a TV remote that you waggle across the room... one has a standard two-handed controller.

There's lots of differences.
Old 04-16-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
To the O.P. obviously you dilsike the Wii (you pretty much state that in your Sig) so why do you keep it?
Basically, because it's not 'mine'. It was an early Xmas present for my kids, (now 6 & almost 8 yrs. old). Selling it would do nothing for us. We have the 360 games we want, so the money would just trickle away on something that they wouldn't enjoy anyway. We do own around 12-15 games, but they just aren't into them. My boys play Halo3 every single day with people from their friends-list, which is around 80 people. They forge, play multi-online, and really enjoy making custom games. Rock Band, GH2 & 3, Oblivion, Crackdown, Dead Rising, COD4, PGR4, The Simpsons, and plenty more games have consumed their gaming time, leaving the Wii to gather dust.

I do keep trying to get them into the Wii. I buy every 'big-name' game that comes out, and Kart will be my next, and maybe last, attempt to get them into it. It kills me to hand over $50 for a game that I know will get no play time, but I keep trying to justify my purchase. As I stated in other posts, I do not sell my games. You take a big hit if you wait too long to sell them, and you never know when you may want to go back to them. I feel the same way about the Wii. Maybe someday they will release a game that sparks my/our interest, and I will never buy another system, so we keep what we have.

As for all the "Hardcore gamer" talk...I don't get that either. I play the games I like, as often as I like. I play the big name titles, but right now I'm going back through Crackdown & I still haven't touched Tomb Raider, so that's next. Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, & Rock Band are my stand-by's. I've played thousands of games of Halo 3. Does that make me "Hardcore"? I dunno, maybe I just enjoy playing the game since Team Slayer offers up a new experience every time you play it.

Getting back to the Wii, and the one thing I do enjoy about it...the wife likes to have a drink or two & play bowling in some panties & a bra...nice!! I still don't play, but I do watch!

~S2K
Old 04-16-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Pixy I think you're being a little unfair to the people on this forum. We're not Gamespot or IGN. You're taking it too personally that people here aren't into some of the Wii games. Let's face it. You either like Mario and Zelda, or you don't. If you don't you're not going to like the Wii. I'm not saying that's all they have, but I believe those games are a barometer for the system. I have them, love them, and love the Wii. I also have and love the 360. And the DS. I became obsessed with Etrian Odyssey thanks to you, and there are no shortage of people here sharing in your love for your area of gaming.

However people can enjoy both. I am currently addicted to Crackdown and Pinball for the Wii. I know that it annoys you to see the Wii take what you consider unfair shots, but you were being more than unfair to the people here, and to the people who like Halo, COD4, Crackdown, etc. They are different types of gaming experiences. Some people like the teamwork, competition, and heated battles that those types of games provide. You seem to drift more towards single player experiences. There's nothing wrong with either.
Old 04-16-08, 07:45 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'm still in love with my Wii.

Old 04-16-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Pixy I think you're being a little unfair to the people on this forum. We're not Gamespot or IGN. You're taking it too personally that people here aren't into some of the Wii games. Let's face it. You either like Mario and Zelda, or you don't. If you don't you're not going to like the Wii. I'm not saying that's all they have, but I believe those games are a barometer for the system. I have them, love them, and love the Wii. I also have and love the 360. And the DS. I became obsessed with Etrian Odyssey thanks to you, and there are no shortage of people here sharing in your love for your area of gaming.
I don't think it's unfair to point out that this is a very mainstream gaming forum. That's what it is. It's a sub-forum to a DVD website. Most, if not all, of its members are members because of DVDs and movies and thus, the gaming discussion tends to be a side dish of that. Try checking out a movie sub-forum on a major gaming site. But don't expect to see much discussion on classic and foreign films there. I did point out that's there's nothing wrong with that, even if I easily get carried away with the sarcastic hyperboles concerning it.

I also pointed out that there will be cross-over and there are certainly people out there that are on both ends of the specturm. Some of my top games of last year were Assassin's Creed, Bioshock and The Orange Box. You'd have to go with Halo or Call of Duty to get more mainstream than that. And you know what? I'll give everybody here a little secret. (This is now Leroy, the actor who plays PixyJunket on DVDTalk, typing.) Much against popular belief, I actually have zero problems with these games. Zero. I have actually played Halo and Halo 2. It's just VERY EASY to pick on the absolute bottom-feeders that come out of games being that disturbingly popular. And yes, it does upset me to see that most of the non-gaming public thinks that THAT is what most games and gamers are like when there is such a deliciously vast palette of games out there. That is also why I think the Wii and DS are such godsends to the industry because I think they can help break those stereotypes. (I'll now return the keyboard to the character of PixyJunket.)

Look, it's playful ribbing. If I say somebody on here is a focus group's dream candidate, I expect them to come back at me with a crack about Japanese princess rape games. But my point still stands: there's a lot of whining out there on the Wii coming from people who never liked it in idea, never liked it in execution, will never like it and yet, ultimately have less than zero outcome on the system's success and are only lashing out like children because they feel their hobby is going to change because of it.

Well, guess what? It IS going to change because of it. Deal with it. I grew up playing games like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros. and Dragon Warrior. Games like that were my childhood. When the PlayStation came out I was piss terrified that gaming as I knew was dead. Final Fantasy VII came out and kicked me, the kid that played Final Fantasy II and III more than a dozen times each and probably knew the games as well as their creators, square in the nuts. And don't get me started on what my opinions on Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time were at the time. I was appauled, to keep it simple. Gaming HAD changed. And I didn't like it. So I quit. I found other things to do. I became a DJ for a short period of time. I got deep into anime (ugh). I even resorted to.. *shudder* television. Sure, I gamed from time to time. Tales of Destiny and Torneko: The Last Hope were PS1 games I know kept my interest. I loved the Wipeout games. I started to come back when the Dreamcast was released. Crazy Taxi. Jet Set Radio. Phantasy Star Online. Gaming had changed, but amidst all the extreme skateboarding crap and racing and sports games that became the new norm, what I loved was always still there. It just had some new friends to share the spotlight with.

So when the Wii and DS change what gaming is today and further mature the market, your military and crime games that you love so much won't be going anywhere. They're just going to have share the spotlight with Wii Fit and Cooking Mama. And the Twinkle Fairy RPGs I love will be there as well.
Old 04-16-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I understand that. I guess since this is the only place I go really to get game recommendations I was a little defensive that you called it so mainstream. I have gotten to play so many different games from you guys that I couldn't believe that you said it was less than an ideal gaming forum.
Old 04-16-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say most people here grew up playing Super Mario Bros, and most people here watched games evolve and had no problems as things evolved into your Final Fantasy VII's, Mario 64's, and Ocarina of Times. Clearly your path and enjoyment of games is unique and those that enjoyed the same games you did don't feel any difference as far as quality or direction of games go.

However I still say that this forum in particular is fairly well split and just looking at the Wii Fit thread you can see a large number of people already pre-ordering it or knowing it will be a no-brainer purchase. There's a big difference between the hardcore Halo 3 player, the mainstream or casual Wii player, and whatever the hell Pixy is And in that case, I don't really chalk up the "Wiimorse" here to being due to the forum goers here as part of that hardcore crowd.

Funny enough with the Movie analogy, over in Music talk is just filled with the "I hate mainstream" crowd.
Old 04-16-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had my Wii for about 6 months now. Considering the low cost of the console, I'm satisfied with it. I'm not a hardcore gamer and only play about 2-3 hours a week and I've stuck to the games that have been getting stellar reviews (SMG, GHIII, RE4, MP3) and I've loved those. So no complaints here.

What I don't get is why all those people that complain about how they bought the Wii at launch and have not touched it in months still own the system. If you disliked it so much a few months ago and all it was doing was collecting dust then they should have all thrown it on Ebay and made a PROFIT. Hell, you can do it now and still come close to breaking even.
Old 04-16-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
What I don't get is why all those people that complain about how they bought the Wii at launch and have not touched it in months still own the system. If you disliked it so much a few months ago and all it was doing was collecting dust then they should have all thrown it on Ebay and made a PROFIT. Hell, you can do it now and still come close to breaking even.
I'd say because people knew the potential was there and that there were some big games coming out. Hence why I don't agree with the arguments here that people are purposely finding reasons to hate the Wii or are too mainstream to appreciate it. Plenty of people want to see the Wii as a breath of fresh air.

Bought a Wii at launch? There was Zelda and Wii Sports. Ok, so there's nothing else of interest. But hey, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are less then a year away! After the holidays... hey there's Smash Bros! That's always fun! Still not interested? Mario Kart is almost here too!
Old 04-16-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by fumanstan

Bought a Wii at launch? There was Zelda and Wii Sports. Ok, so there's nothing else of interest. But hey, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are less then a year away! After the holidays... hey there's Smash Bros! That's always fun! Still not interested? Mario Kart is almost here too!
That's exactly my situation. I keep holding on for something that my boys will really enjoy, or myself for that matter. It hasn't happened yet, and I hope it will with the Kart release. I actually bought a second 360 for my boys to play so I would have some gaming time also because they were always on it. Dammit, I bought the Wii in hopes that they would play that & I could have my 360 time.
Old 04-16-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I understand that. I guess since this is the only place I go really to get game recommendations I was a little defensive that you called it so mainstream. I have gotten to play so many different games from you guys that I couldn't believe that you said it was less than an ideal gaming forum.
I don't understand it either. If gamers here don't like it I pretty much agree with them. I see everyone in 2 different groups the casual people who bought the Wii that don't post on message boards and aren't into games at all or the people here who are into games. I don't know this mythical 3rd party that Pixyjunket is speaking of.

Are there good games for the 360 that no one speaks about?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.