Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-08, 10:41 AM   #776
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkee View Post
How do you know what an online zelda or mario would be like if they are just keep on keepin' on with the same old same old?

These franchises need to adapt to gaming in the 20th century. Its nice to flash back to 20 years ago, and that is what the VC is for. But for new releases they really need to bring the online aspect in. Maybe not so much turn them all into a MMORPG-fest, but at least build in some DLC, and messaging, meet-ups, avatars, chats etc.
The problem is the franchises you are choosing. I'll give you Mario since you could have a Luigi, Peach or Toad running around in multiplayer. Metroid is a solo experience period. It is Samus against the galaxy. It's basically the same for Zelda, you have Link and...? Who is player two going to be? Tingle?

Quote:
The problem is that this type of gaming is not evolving. Yes its fun but its not 2008 fun. Its 1990 fun.
I have no problems with DLC, but these core franchises need to stick to the tried and true. So you think Metroid Prime plays like Super Metroid? Super Mario Galaxy plays like Super Mario World? Seriously? Both were also two of the highest rated games of their generations. I will admit, Zelda is in a rut, TP did nothing for me. I did enjoy the hell out of Phantom Hourglass though.

If Nintendo wants to incorporate those type experiences they need to do it in new franchises. I don't want xxD3atHxK1ll3rxx leaving me messages in Samus's ship.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2

Old 11-06-08, 12:01 PM   #777
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I have no problems with DLC, but these core franchises need to stick to the tried and true. So you think Metroid Prime plays like Super Metroid? Super Mario Galaxy plays like Super Mario World? Seriously? Both were also two of the highest rated games of their generations. I will admit, Zelda is in a rut, TP did nothing for me. I did enjoy the hell out of Phantom Hourglass though.
Like I said before, incorporate the appropriate online content to each franchise but incorporate it somehow.

The 2 player aspect in SMG is neat, and the need to expand on that. And I have not played Prime so I cant comment on it but investing 20 or so odd hours of game play into a single player experience that results in a "Congrats you did it!" screenshot is ... well something I have grown out of I guess.

If I'm 15 again then yeah, but now not so much.

Quote:
If Nintendo wants to incorporate those type experiences they need to do it in new franchises. I don't want xxD3atHxK1ll3rxx leaving me messages in Samus's ship.
If its just some silly non-value-added-tack-on the leave it out. But certainly they have enough creative juice to find a way to build in some online aspects here to further enhance the replay value of these games.

Old 11-06-08, 12:04 PM   #778
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
And I have not played Prime so I cant comment on it but investing 20 or so odd hours of game play into a single player experience that results in a "Congrats you did it!" screenshot is ... well something I have grown out of I guess.
Wait, what? Playing games is about playing games. It's about the journey, not necessarily the destination.

BTW, you can email that screenshot to other Wii owners to brag!

Metroid is one of the best on the Wii, easily. You should definitely check it out, especially when the MP1&2 wii-makes hit next year.

Old 11-06-08, 12:36 PM   #779
Sonny Corinthos
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I recently got a Wii and did not know that Gamecube games are backwards compatible on it. I never had a GC and was wondering if there are any "must have" games for it?
Animal Crossing. It's like video game crack. One hit of it and you are hooked.

Old 11-06-08, 01:07 PM   #780
Kelkee
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Wait, what? Playing games is about playing games. It's about the journey, not necessarily the destination.
Sure, but going on that destination with other friends or family makes it all that much better.

Old 11-06-08, 01:09 PM   #781
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Sure, but going on that destination with other friends or family makes it all that much better.
While I agree that some games are better experienced with others, some are meant to be isolated experiences. Metroid is certainly one of those series.

Old 11-06-08, 04:21 PM   #782
CreatureX
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
The problem is that this type of gaming is not evolving. Yes its fun but its not 2008 fun. Its 1990 fun.
Wrong wrong wrong.

Take a look at the three games that received the most praise and awards last year:

Super Mario Galaxy
BioShock
Portal

Sure Galaxy has a tacked on multiplayer mode, but it's still basically a single-player only experience like both BioShock and Portal. Are you going to tell me that these three games offer 1990's type of fun?

Old 11-06-08, 05:13 PM   #783
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Animal Crossing. It's like video game crack. One hit of it and you are hooked.
Maybe on the GameCube, but I got bored to death of the DS one and will not be back for the Wii version which looks like a DS port anyway.

Old 11-06-08, 09:45 PM   #784
Sonny Corinthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
Maybe on the GameCube, but I got bored to death of the DS one and will not be back for the Wii version which looks like a DS port anyway.
I agree, the Gamecube version is awesome but the DS version bored me to death. Like you said, it looks like the Wii version is nothing but a rehash of the game on the DS.

Old 11-10-08, 05:03 PM   #785
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon has Wii in stock as of this posting.

Old 11-10-08, 08:30 PM   #786
CreatureX
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I was excited as heck about the new Animal Crossing game until I read the main article about the game in the new issue of Nintendo Power I got in the mail yesterday. It looks like people will have to share houses once again like they did in the DS version. That really sucks.
I read the AC:CF story in NP and nowhere does it mention you share a house like the DS version.

I then read one of the AC:CF previews over at IGN and it states:

Quote:
Right when you get off the bus you have to find the City Hall where you'll be told to find the house you want to live. The big change in the Wii game is that the four houses you can move into are scattered around the town -- in the GameCube game your four houses were clustered together, and in the Nintendo DS game you only had one house with four beds in it.
So it appears that four people can each have their own house!

Old 11-10-08, 11:17 PM   #787
outer-edge
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
While I agree that some games are better experienced with others, some are meant to be isolated experiences. Metroid is certainly one of those series.
Totally agree. While I enjoy going online and playing Call of Duty against my brother and friends, or sitting in the living room playing Guitar Hero or something else with friends, gaming is still mostly a single player experience for me. I derive the most enjoyment out of sitting down with a game that has a solid experience; something with a story or goal I am pushing through. It's why RPGs are still a favorite genre. But, online RPGs have yet to capture me, as it's just not the same story-driven, character-driven experience.

Old 11-11-08, 07:48 AM   #788
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureX View Post
So it appears that four people can each have their own house!
Sold!

Old 11-11-08, 09:02 AM   #789
bigsoos
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone play Lightsaber Duels yet?

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

Old 11-11-08, 12:34 PM   #790
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Nyko Technologies WingT, a wireless classic controller for the Wii, is hitting stores today.

The Wing features gobs of buttons and up to 10-feet of wireless connectivity via a dongle you plug into the botton of your Wii Remote. The Wing also lets you use rechargeable AAA batteries which can be charged through the Wing's mini USB port.

“The Wing is a great example of what we at Nyko aim to do: improve the gamer’s experience with a quality made product”, said Chris Arbogast, Director of Marketing at Nyko Technologies. “There have been very few options for classic gaming control designed specifically for the Wii until now, and the Wing provides a comfortable and affordable wireless alternative that fans of Virtual Console games will enjoy using.”

The controller sells for $30.
This dependency on the Wiimote needs to be broken. I realize that it's cheaper to do this than incorporate the BT needed to communicate with the Wii, but Jesus... You're talking to battery-powered devices now and the only thing one does is bridge RF wireless to BT wireless. What a waste.

Granted, it does look more ergonomically pleasing that Nintendo's own...

Old 11-11-08, 12:53 PM   #791
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see the dongle as much of an issue. Plug it in and sit the Wiimote on the coffee table.

It does look pretty sweet too.

Old 11-11-08, 12:56 PM   #792
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

The only "issue" is now you have 2 devices draining batteries. Just seems silly to me.

Old 11-11-08, 12:58 PM   #793
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Quote:
This dependency on the Wiimote needs to be broken. I realize that it's cheaper to do this than incorporate the BT needed to communicate with the Wii, but Jesus... You're talking to battery-powered devices now and the only thing one does is bridge RF wireless to BT wireless. What a waste.

Granted, it does look more ergonomically pleasing that Nintendo's own...
I would take a wavebird over that for most games.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem

Old 11-11-08, 02:08 PM   #794
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

^ That's what I thought but those old games are so ingrained in my brain, the buttons on the Wavebird are all fucked up. I would have to relearn how to play them all.

Quote:
The only "issue" is now you have 2 devices draining batteries. Just seems silly to me.
Rechargeables.

Old 11-11-08, 02:12 PM   #795
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

As I learned from My Cousin Vinny, no self-respectin' gamer uses disposable batteries.

I always have 2 or 4 AAs ready to go when the ones I have in die, but that doesn't mean I want to drain them unnecessarily.

I was totally expecting it to be a dongle into the Wii itself, which would have made sense. But to have to go through the Wiimote is silly. Luckily it doesn't affect me so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 11-11-08, 04:14 PM   #796
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
As I learned from My Cousin Vinny, no self-respectin' gamer uses disposable batteries.
Please explain.

Old 11-12-08, 07:48 AM   #797
kakihara1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
Please explain.
I think it has something to do with grits.

Old 11-12-08, 09:40 AM   #798
steebo777
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Opera WiiBrowser detailed.

- New buttons
- Wii Speak Compability
- See your Wii mail from within the browser
- tab cube keeps track of 6 tabs, can be made invisible
- 500 Wii Points
- due out this December
- If you paid for the first version of the browser, you donít have to pay for this one

Old 11-12-08, 09:43 AM   #799
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

What if you got the browser for free originally?

Old 11-12-08, 09:43 AM   #800
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
- If you paid for the first version of the browser, you donít have to pay for this one
Does that mean that if you got the first version for free, you have to shell out 500 points for the upgrade?

This thing is still useless until it runs newer versions of Flash.

Closed Thread