Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games for Windows (Computer Gaming World) ends Print Publication

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Games for Windows (Computer Gaming World) ends Print Publication

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167296

I know there's not a lot of PC gamers here so I'm not sure how much people care, but it kind of sucks to see. As easily as it is to just read news, reviews, and previews online now, I always dug having a regular magazine to read every month. I liked Games for Windows/Computer Gaming World too.

Ah well, the times sure are changing because of this fancy thing they call internet!
Old 04-08-08, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks, I was just getting into their magazine after listening to their podcasts.
Old 04-08-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too. The first issue I got, is the last. I used to read Computer Gaming World back in the 90s. I don't remember when I stopped. I just now started reading GFW. Sucks.
Old 04-08-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully EGM won't follow suit. I've been reading that (almost) since inception.
Old 04-08-08, 03:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I always preferred PC Gamer myself.

But yeah, there's no point in print mags anymore. "Look a review for a game that came out last month! W00T!"
Old 04-08-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The podcast producer posted on GAF and said there would be a podcast tonight, so keep a look out for that.
Old 04-08-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GFW was pretty much the only decent gaming mag left.
Old 04-08-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This does suck. I loved their podcast, but it is really hard to buy print mags when all the info is free online and usually at their 1UP website.
Old 04-08-08, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Man, I remember reading CGW in the late 80s. What a shame, although it makes absolutely no sense to be publishing a magazine like that in the age of high-speed internet.
Old 04-08-08, 06:15 PM

I fear for Jeff Green. I can imagine the other editors getting absorbed in 1up network, but where can the editor-in-chief go? Hopefully the online only thing works out and everyone stays (their podcast is hilarious).

Their podcast is up, so I'm going to listen to it now.

Last edited by cornyt; 04-08-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With EGM being so anemic these days, it seems like a good time to fold a bit of PC coverage into that magazine.
Old 04-08-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow.....this really sucks. CGW/GFW was really the only decent gaming mag out there. I've been a subscriber to CGW/GFW since the late 80's. Sad to see it go.
Old 04-08-08, 09:20 PM

That sucks i been getting the magazine free and I really like it.
Old 04-08-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always been a PC Gamer guy. I've been getting GFW for free, and it's okay, but nothing special.
Old 04-08-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to pick up CGW at the Supermarket back in the '80s. Sad day, but not too surprising.
Old 04-08-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good riddance.

I have free subscriptions to both EGM and GFW and I can't believe that there are people that pay for the thin amount of content they provide as of late. I'm saying this as a person who started off reading Game Players back in the late 80s/early 90s ... now THAT was a quality publication! I can remember GP's holiday double issues that were as thick as a small book.

I don't understand how anyone can stand EGM's 3 paragraph-long reviews and still make good decisions on which games to buy.

I can't say this enough: Get a subscription to EDGE magazine if you want quality games coverage. It's sad, but to find people writing smart stories and reviews about games, you have to read magazines written in other countries if you want something that isn't a complete joke that reads like a bunch of 12-year-olds just got their first word processor.
Old 04-08-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem with that is so many people are used to getting free publications and the regard for print media has sunk so low that the chance of getting them to try a foreign magazine at 4 pounds a copy is basically zero regardless of the supposed higher quality writing.
Old 04-09-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is really too bad, as this was by far my favorite gaming magazine. It's obvious that all print gaming magazines are suffering, print just can't compete with the immediacy of online content, and I think the gaming audience thrives on the latest news, reviews, etc. I really thought GFW was doing something different with their editorial content, shifting toward in depth articles that are better suited for the delay of print magazines, rather than reviews and news that is out of date by the time a magazine ships. Unfortunately, I just don't think the online space is as well suited for this type of content.

At least the podcast will remain and the editors will still remain on staff. It is still my favorite podcast, no other podcast comes off as candid as GFW radio about the games industry. It also strikes the right balance between humor and insightful discussion.

I still get PCgamer, but I always preferred GFW. The "world exclusive reivews" PCgamer gets from time to time (Doom 3) have always bothered me.

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Good riddance.

I have free subscriptions to both EGM and GFW and I can't believe that there are people that pay for the thin amount of content they provide as of late. I'm saying this as a person who started off reading Game Players back in the late 80s/early 90s ... now THAT was a quality publication! I can remember GP's holiday double issues that were as thick as a small book.

I don't understand how anyone can stand EGM's 3 paragraph-long reviews and still make good decisions on which games to buy.
Even though both EGM and GFW are part of Ziff-Davis, the content was night and day IMO.
Old 04-11-08, 03:33 PM

My favorite game magazine shut down a REALLY long time ago.

Old 04-11-08, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by porieux
My favorite game magazine shut down a REALLY long time ago.

Yep, that magazine was the shit. Then they decided that consoles were dead, and it became Video Games & Computer Entertainment. And it sucked.
Old 04-12-08, 05:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I thought VG&CE was alright but I mostly read EGM and CGW back in the late 80's. EGM was actually a decent gaming mag when Steve Harris was editor, now it's crap.

Was Electronic Games the mag that allowed you to program some simple games by showing you the code? I remember a gaming mag that I read in the early to mid 80's that did this and I could program stuff form my Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.
Old 04-12-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by RobLutter
I can't say this enough: Get a subscription to EDGE magazine if you want quality games coverage. It's sad, but to find people writing smart stories and reviews about games, you have to read magazines written in other countries if you want something that isn't a complete joke that reads like a bunch of 12-year-olds just got their first word processor.
Is EDGE magazine really worth the cost? I checked out their website and a subscription costs $72 for a year (13 issues). Tough to stomach since I get EGM free and get a year of OXM with demo discs for a measley $25.
Old 04-12-08, 11:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Is EDGE magazine really worth the cost? I checked out their website and a subscription costs $72 for a year (13 issues). Tough to stomach since I get EGM free and get a year of OXM with demo discs for a measley $25.
Just fyi, you can do a bit better on the OXM. You can get it for about $5 a year on ebay, then call them and upgrade to the disc version for $1 a month.
Old 04-13-08, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Just fyi, you can do a bit better on the OXM. You can get it for about $5 a year on ebay, then call them and upgrade to the disc version for $1 a month.
Thanks but I am done buying cheap subscriptions on Ebay. I have had several never show, never get processed, and sellers just disappear with the money. And these were all sellers with large amounts of feedback and decent feedback scores. I figured it up and the money savings usually wasn't worth it after losing the initial money and then having to pay again to resubscribe some other way.
Old 04-13-08, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I would kind of say that it is, but these days I can barely find time to read my copy myself, so I'm actually holding off renewing, at least for a few months. I still really enjoy reading game content in print form, and am pretty happy with the quality. It's just a case of Edge having to compete with my PSP, DS, iPod, my mobile phone, even any other reading material I have for work. So it does get pushed aside sometimes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.