Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

School me on the PS2!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
School me on the PS2!!

After going through my fourth 360 I've decided to sell it and pick up a PS2 and catch up on all the games I've missed over the years (never had a PS1 or PS2). My only experience with Sony consoles is with my PSP. I am NOT interested in a PS3 or in keeping my 360, only interested in the PS2.

Some of my questions:

Best wireless controller?
How big of a mem card do I need (not playing any sports games)?
Is it worth picking up the s-video or component cables?
Good KOTOR style RPG's?
Any of the online capable games still have active communities?

I plan on picking up God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts and one of the Ratchet and Clank games to start.
Old 03-30-08, 04:35 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Best wireless controller?
Here's a good thread from a couple years ago.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=373691

I recommended the Logitech Cordless Action Controller, which became my primary PS2 controller. You can get it at Amazon for around $30. Here's a review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/522/522644p1.html
Old 03-30-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Odd to see that you're not interested in a PS3 after having a 360. I would have thought the 80GB or finding a 60GB would be a good idea for you.

The standard memory card (8MB?) should be enough for pretty much everything.

If you have an HDTV, component cables make everything look far better.
Old 03-30-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Seriously, why not get a PS3?

You can still play PS2 games on it and it will be far more useful over the next 4-5 years.
Old 03-30-08, 06:48 PM

Just so I can quash anymore PS3 suggestions: I have no interest in spending $60 on games(this same issue along with the reliablity isues of the 360 is why i'm giving up on it). No interest in a Blu-Ray until prices for movies drop to current DVD prices. Unless I missed something, backwards compatability is no longer a feature of current PS3 builds (nor do I wish to track down that will) and even if it was it would not be enough for me to want to pick up a PS3. Money isn't an issue either, I simply have no interest in owning one.

So PLEASE, no more PS3 suggestions.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 03-30-08 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Seriously, why not get a PS3?

You can still play PS2 games on it and it will be far more useful over the next 4-5 years.
I thought they weren't backwards compatible anymore?
Old 03-30-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I thought they weren't backwards compatible anymore?
80GB is via software emulation. 40GB isn't at all as far as I know.

Regardless, if the PS3 is unwanted thats fine, however i'd say some of SmackDaddy's reasons are a little off base (reliability, cost of movies) but oh well
Old 03-30-08, 07:41 PM

Reliability is a concern for the 360 (I've gone through 4 in less than a year). cost of the movies may not be a big deal to some, but when I can go and pick up the latest releases for $20 or less, then I'll bite. But that's just me. May be off base for you, but I'm not speaking for you.

So if anyone can help with what I actually asked about, that would be great.

I'll be picking up one of the logitech controllers ASAP.
Old 03-30-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
I have only got 2 ps2 games (katamari games)
and am trying to decide if I should spring for one of the older ps3s w/ compatibility or get a 40 gig and a ps2 or maybe just wait and hope they get emulation later
Old 03-30-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I plan on picking up God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts and one of the Ratchet and Clank games to start.
Just don't get Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked. That one's awful. The best one is probably Going Commando, but either of the first three are good.
Old 03-30-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reliability is a concern for the 360 (I've gone through 4 in less than a year). cost of the movies may not be a big deal to some, but when I can go and pick up the latest releases for $20 or less, then I'll bite. But that's just me. May be off base for you, but I'm not speaking for you.

So if anyone can help with what I actually asked about, that would be great.

I'll be picking up one of the logitech controllers ASAP.
Sorry, I was purposely trying to not further the PS3 debate by going into details with my last post, but I guess it didn't help.

Regardless, I did post about what you asked earlier. An 8 MB Sony memory card should be enough. Resident Evil 4 is also a good one to pick up.
Old 03-30-08, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a PSP Thursday, got the Daxter bundle, it comes with a 1GB mem card, Family Guy movie, Daxter game, USB cable and charger.

It does not come with headphones and that game and movie don't come in a case. I have not tried the wireless yet, I don't care to get on the internet with it. I had to upgrade the firmware, it was easy over the internet. The one that I picked up is silver and the Star Wars bundle is white and the core unit is black.

I picked it up to play Final Fantasy VII and I also picked up another Final Fantasy game. I like it a lot and think it was money well spent, I have MP3s on it and a couple of games that I had from the Playstation store for my PS3, I put on the PSP.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You're aware the PS3 plays DVDs, right?

And I'm with you on the Blu-Ray and game costs. But there's a lot of really cool, really fun downloadable games on the PSN network plus you can at least try free demos of the latest games: Uncharted, Burnout, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank...

I just don't see how you could go back to a PS2. That's just me.

Plus, 20GB PS3s aren't that hard to come by:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PS3-ORIGINA...QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly hardware costs are the only argument that makes sense and that's the one thing you said wasn't an issue. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I just genuinely feel that the PS3 might be a better option for you than a PS2. But that's just me.
Old 03-30-08, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I have only got 2 ps2 games (katamari games)
and am trying to decide if I should spring for one of the older ps3s w/ compatibility or get a 40 gig and a ps2 or maybe just wait and hope they get emulation later
The 80gb bundle that will be out in the summer will have emulation and a new controller.
Old 03-31-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I normally dislike 3rd party controllers, but the Logitech Action controllers are great. I picked up a few refurbished for $7 each a few years back (sold when I moved to the 20GB PS3 for $320 - $100 for my PS2 = $220).

Recommended favorites:

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Devil May Cry (1)
Dragon Quest 8 (if you like oldschool RPGs)
Old 03-31-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
For RPG you need to get Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII.
Old 03-31-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
King of Fighters 11 is pretty good if you like 2d fighters. Metal Gear Essentials just came out that includes Metal Gear Solid 1-3. The new parsona 3 is out or will be out soon if you like kids shooting themselves in the head.
Old 03-31-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second the Logitech recommendation...maybe my favorite controller ever.

All of the Ratchet games are around $15 at Amazon, and I'd buy all 3 without hesitation...terrific games. The Grand Theft Auto series is remarkable as well. RE4 is one of my favorite games ever, though the Wii edition is the best one. Finally, Okami.

I shared some of your misgivings about the PS3, but I broke down and tracked down a 60GB while I still could. Gotta say, it's an extremely versatile and seriously overengineered machine. Blu-Ray, upconverting DVD, wireless streaming from PC, bluetooth, uses any standard USB peripheral, can take laptop harddrives. And if you subscribe to the weight = quality theory, this thing should last 20 years.

Also, the three games I have, I haven't overspent ridiculously: $35 for Orange Box, $40 for Warhawk with Bluetooth headset, and $17 for Motorstorm.

You should be able to get a 60GB used for between $350-400...found mine on craigslist...got the 60GB, two controllers, bluetooth remote, HDMI cable and Guitar Hero for $500. Sold Guitar Hero for $80 and sold my PS2 for $90.

Anyway, some stuff you asked...some you didn't...just trying to be helpful.
Old 03-31-08, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Stayed up late last night to play Shadow of the Colossus....WOW.....such a cool, atmospheric game! Like playing a movie.

One new question on the Logitech controller, which is better? The ACTION or PRECISION version???
Old 04-01-08, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the precision is the older version. This Logitech Action is my PS2 controller of choice (works great):

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-2-...7030641&sr=8-1
Old 04-01-08, 10:20 AM

I just looked up the differences and it seems the Precision has pressure sensitive buttons, while the Action does not. Will this be a problem with most games?
Old 04-01-08, 11:58 AM

One new question on the Logitech controller, which is better? The ACTION or PRECISION version???
I've never tried the Precision. All I know is that over the past couple years, I've seen dozens and dozens of recommendations/testimonials for the Action controller. I don't remember ever seeing similar praise for the Precision. The Action version was the one everybody loved.

Here's a lackluster review for the PS3 Precision:

http://playstation.about.com/od/hard...techReview.htm
Old 04-01-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Action.

Best. Controller. Ever.

Nice weight...feels great in the hands...sticks have just the right amount of tension...only minor complaint is the D-pad, which I don't care for. Good thing most games don't use it. Pressure sensitive buttons was a stupid idea anyway IMO...and no, most games don't use it any any way you'd appreciably notice.
Old 04-02-08, 07:19 PM

Any of the online capable games still have active communities?
I was just reading the latest issue of EGM, and they have a half-page blurb on the PS2's still-active SOCOM community. Here's the online player numbers. Looks like SOCOM: Combined Assault still has a huge online community.

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs / avg. 200-300 during peak hours / avg. 1,000 per day

SOCOM II: US Navy SEALs / avg. 1,500-2,000 during peak hours / avg. 6,000 per day

SOCOM 3 / avg. 800-900 during peak hours / avg. 3,000 per day

SOCOM: Combined Assault / avg. 10,000 during peak hours / avg. 25,000 per day

Here's the PSP numbers in case anyone's interested:

SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo / avg. 600-700 during peak hours / avg. 3,000-4,000 per day

SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 2 / avg. 2,000-3,000 during peak hours / avg. 10,000-12,000 per day
Old 04-03-08, 08:56 AM

Thanks for that! Looks like I'll be picking up a Socom game! Played Ratchet: Deadlocked online last night and there seemed to be plentiful games for me to get into. I guess with it's (the PS2) massive install base I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to all for the help. Picked up my Logitech controller last night, and thank god I can sit way back in my recliner now!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.