Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official PS3 thread x.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished Ratchet & Clank last night....great game, I really enjoyed it. I rarely finish a game these days, so that was satisfying.
Old 03-04-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I just finished Ratchet & Clank last night....great game, I really enjoyed it. I rarely finish a game these days, so that was satisfying.
I've played through this game three times now. I fucking love it.
Old 03-06-08, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you d/l screensavers on the PS3? I haven't messed around with my PS3 much at all, I just watch Blu-rays on it basically, but I liked being able to add a custom background. Can you do the same with a screensaver? It'd be cool to have a high quality fishtank type screensaver that I could just leave on.
Old 03-06-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 723 Posts
Not sure about the screensaver but you can use any image you want as the background. They can be transfered with a USB drive to the system or you could probably copy them through a network.
Old 03-06-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Episode 2 of the Half-Life 2 series today. Amazing games, but a bit buggy on PS3 in spots. Playable and well worth the price, but much buggier than you'd expect for a retail console game...mostly framerate issues. But like I said, amazing games, and I'm not a FPS guy at all. I love the puzzle elements, and the story/environments are remarkable.

Also, Portal...sigh...I fucking LOVE Portal.

A buddy is lending me Ratchet and Clank, and I'm looking forward to that. I previously lent him the original 3 PS2 games and got him totally hooked. I need to tell him to buy the PSP port, so I can borrow that one too.

I've also finished Uncharted (everything Tomb Raider should have become) and Motorstorm (good arcade racer and amazing eye candy)...and I play Warhawk almost every day.

Gotta say, I'm increasingly impressed with my PS3 and am glad I jumped on the 60 GB.
Old 03-07-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just upgraded the hard drive in my PS3. I had a 40 GB one and did the upgrade to 320 GB (of course is less than 300 GB available for me). It was one of the easiest things I've made in my tech life. I have to applaud the PS3 in that area. It was just, remove the old hard drive, insert the one, format new hard drive, and ready to play.
Old 03-07-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I just upgraded the hard drive in my PS3. I had a 40 GB one and did the upgrade to 320 GB (of course is less than 300 GB available for me). It was one of the easiest things I've made in my tech life. I have to applaud the PS3 in that area. It was just, remove the old hard drive, insert the one, format new hard drive, and ready to play.
Sony definitely one upped Microsoft in this area.
Old 03-07-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard the hardest part was avoiding stripping the screws. Did you have any problems with them?
Old 03-07-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Cool feature but not sure if I'd ever need more than the 60GB has to offer. You can stream media off your PC so no need to store it on the HDD.

That would be too sweet if you could do that on the 360.
Old 03-07-08, 08:25 AM

Received 528 Likes on 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Cool feature but not sure if I'd ever need more than the 60GB has to offer.
With some PS3 games now requiring a 5GB install, that 60GB might fill up faster than you think.

I agree, it would be nice if the 360 didn't require a proprietary hard drive. $170 for a 120GB HD is ridiculous.
Old 03-07-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may eventually upgrade my HDD in the PS3...seems easy enough, and you can back up your HDD easily from what I hear....you just need a decent size external HDD to do it.
Old 03-07-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
With some PS3 games now requiring a 5GB install, that 60GB might fill up faster than you think.
True, but how often do you boot up a game after you finish it? Delete the installed portions and reclaim that 5GB. Personally my PS3 library consists of, well, Motorstorm. After I finish 'em I sell 'em.

The 360 is another beast since you only have 13GB to play with to start off. I'm good at managing all my crap so I still haven't come close to maxing it out, but if the option was there I would have swapped it for a larger drive long ago.
Old 03-07-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazon is now taking pre orders for the Dualshock 3 controllers - $49.99 and free shipping on April 15th. It's $5 cheaper than anywhere else (and no tax)
Old 03-07-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Cool feature but not sure if I'd ever need more than the 60GB has to offer. You can stream media off your PC so no need to store it on the HDD.

That would be too sweet if you could do that on the 360.
It doesn't make as much sense to do it on the 360 because you are severely limited as to what you can put on the internal/attached 360 drive. (Of course that changes if one downloads a lot of XBLA titles or videos) No such limitation exists on the PS3.

Although it is possible to stream media off of a PC, it isn't always convenient to do so... especially if you don't have a PC left on 24/7.
Old 03-07-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the past, I've upgraded the size of my TiVo harddrive. Even though I got a "special" drive, the seek noise was obnoxious compared to the factory version.

How does an upgraded PS3 sound compared to the original? And what type of drive was used?
Old 03-07-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sracer
It doesn't make as much sense to do it on the 360 because you are severely limited as to what you can put on the internal/attached 360 drive. (Of course that changes if one downloads a lot of XBLA titles or videos) No such limitation exists on the PS3.
Well that's what I was referring to. With only 13GB, demos, map packs, GH/RB songs, and arcade games fill the drive rather quick.
Old 03-07-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may eventually upgrade my HDD in the PS3...seems easy enough, and you can back up your HDD easily from what I hear....you just need a decent size external HDD to do it.
Do you mean backing up the original HDD? I thought about upgrading my HDD, but I'm afraid I'll lose some of my downloaded games that I've shared with my brother and friends. I think each game allows for 5 downloads. I wouldn't want to change HDD, and then find out I've hit my limit on my game download.
Old 03-07-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gromit
I heard the hardest part was avoiding stripping the screws. Did you have any problems with them?
Not really. But I used a screwdriver that matched perfectly.
Old 03-07-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmmm I thought 250 gb was the limit. Or did you just use a bigger drive because you happen to have one or something?
Old 03-07-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
How do you transfer over all your info from the old HD to a new one?
Old 03-08-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
How do you transfer over all your info from the old HD to a new one?
I think there is an option in the PS3 menu to back up data...although, you still may have to redownload a few things....as they have to be installed again.

You can plug in an external HDD also...not sure if it has to be FAT32 or not though. I have yet to upgrade....I might eventually do it as I find streaming lackluster with the PS3. It does NOT detect my music at all on my PC, but it will see Video. I think it is because my Music is on an external HDD connected to my PC via USB and it is 200+GB of data sharing.

360 sees it GREAT though.
Old 03-08-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there is an option in the PS3 menu to back up data...although, you still may have to redownload a few things....as they have to be installed again.

You can plug in an external HDD also...not sure if it has to be FAT32 or not though. I have yet to upgrade....I might eventually do it as I find streaming lackluster with the PS3. It does NOT detect my music at all on my PC, but it will see Video. I think it is because my Music is on an external HDD connected to my PC via USB and it is 200+GB of data sharing.

360 sees it GREAT though.
Yup, there's an option in the settings menus. Externals do need to use fat32,
I'm running a 500g My Book which was formatted that way out of the box and
it works great.
Old 03-08-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made the jump and bought a PS3. Which of course kills 2 birds with one stone (ps3 gaming & blu-ray watching), with the stone being my credit card.

I always planned to get it, I just wanted to wait for GTA 4 to come out, but since they are planning to discontinue the 80gb and it will be THAT much harder to find one the week of the GTA release. I had to run out and find one, which was really difficult. 10 to 12 stores didn't have it, until I came across a virgin megastore on union square.
Old 03-08-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Audio Xtreme 360 but it cost big bucks
http://www.trittontechnologies.com/p.../TRIGA600.html
Don't buy this. I had some bad info. You can not use the mic with these. Good headphones though.
Old 03-08-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by shacmasta
I made the jump and bought a PS3. Which of course kills 2 birds with one stone (ps3 gaming & blu-ray watching), with the stone being my credit card.

I always planned to get it, I just wanted to wait for GTA 4 to come out, but since they are planning to discontinue the 80gb and it will be THAT much harder to find one the week of the GTA release. I had to run out and find one, which was really difficult. 10 to 12 stores didn't have it, until I came across a virgin megastore on union square.
They're bringing out a new 80GB bundle in a couple months. Comes with MGS4 and a Dual Shock 3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.