Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Burnout Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not sure but I think I got 1.5m on E. Crawford it and it unlocked.
Yeah... I have like 3.4m on it... to beat your 3.1m? record.... but still no achievement.
Old 01-27-08, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Yeah... I have like 3.4m on it... to beat your 3.1m? record.... but still no achievement.
the achievement is glitched. i'm told to get it make sure you unplug your ethernet cable, load your gamertag from a memory card without a burnout paradise save on it, get your learners permit so you can do showtime, go to the correct street, press up on the d-pad, stay on the street, and score 1.5 million and collect your achievement.
Old 01-28-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
^^^

come on! It worked fine for me the first time I tried it last night.
Old 01-28-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm really digging this game. I still have all the same complaints but having abandoned the fact that this is a Burnout game has let me enjoy it more for what it is. I'm about 7 hours in. I'm getting the hang of the map, but one wrong turn still fucks you. Of course my OCD and love of Crackdown's Orbs is really loving the billboards and crash gates.

Having shoved aside all the complaints, there are two that still really stick out. First is the color palette, it still bugs the shit out of me. Second, I have a new complaint now that I'm racing. There are only about 5 destinations, so you are essentially racing the same races over and over. So it seems pretty limited in that aspect.
Old 01-28-08, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the game over the weekend. Some observations:

* I had a HELL of a time finding it in stores. Went three places on Friday, all were sold out of the 360 version (yet they all had a ton of PS3 copies). Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Wal-Mart... nada.

* I thought the pausing and/or looking at the map screen would piss me off. But I've learned that during races and such to just listen for the sound that sounds like a turn signal, quickly glance up to the top of the screen where it tells you which upcoming street you need to turn onto, and then make the turn.
Old 01-28-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, I use the sound and indicator just like a real car's nav system.
Old 01-28-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I just finally noticed that your turn signal goes off in the direction they think you should go at an intersection.
Old 01-28-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been using that more and more as well.
Old 01-28-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
In case anyone can't find something, here's a map with all the locations marked:

Spoiler:
Old 01-29-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed the full game more than I expected to. Racing was very tough at first but after time with the city I was able to figure out the paths and win most of the the time. I really don't care for Showtime mode. I think it's an awful addition to the game. The crash modes they had before were far more fun.

I was almost going to keep the game from GameFly, something I have never done in over 1 1/2 years with them, but I changed my mind at the last moment. I would get so into the races that I would have my thumb slammed against the boost button the entire time I was playing. I already have trouble with my thumb but after playing for a few days it is locking up all the time. Figured the pain wasn't worth it.
Old 01-29-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's why I think the racing in this game is broken -

I either come is first, by a lot, or dead last by a lot and pretty much nothing in between. When I win, it's usually because I navigated the map well, and never due to racing well. And when I lose, it's due to making an error in judging the map/road - or crashing in that split-second where I take my eyes off the track to look at the map/compass.

This is not a racing game like other Burnouts - it's a map navigation game. It takes no real skill, just memorization.
Old 01-29-08, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
Here's why I think the racing in this game is broken -

I either come is first, by a lot, or dead last by a lot and pretty much nothing in between. When I win, it's usually because I navigated the map well, and never due to racing well. And when I lose, it's due to making an error in judging the map/road - or crashing in that split-second where I take my eyes off the track to look at the map/compass.

This is not a racing game like other Burnouts - it's a map navigation game. It takes no real skill, just memorization.
I'll agree with a lot of that. I've yet to lose a race. There just doesn't seem to be any challenge to the game except for keeping your eyes on the road and not looking at the map.

I've already started to get a little bored of it. Knowing that there's no more map to unlock makes it seem kind of blah.
Old 01-29-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heres the thing, once you memorize the map, and take the races online, you get to be with a group of other folks who have also memorized the map. Thats where the real racing skill comes into play.
Old 01-29-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decadance
Heres the thing, once you memorize the map, and take the races online, you get to be with a group of other folks who have also memorized the map. Thats where the real racing skill comes into play.
A $60 game in a franchise that has, for the most part, been a single player experience shouldn't require you to play online to get the most out of the game. Every other game in the franchise has brutal AI and required an immense amount of skill to conquer at the higher levels. Just another thing that was thrown out the window in pursuit of this open world format.
Old 01-29-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A $60 game in a franchise that has, for the most part, been a single player experience shouldn't require you to play online to get the most out of the game. Every other game in the franchise has brutal AI and required an immense amount of skill to conquer at the higher levels. Just another thing that was thrown out the window in pursuit of this open world format.
Burnout has always been frustrating in a fun way for me. You could run the same burning lap 10 times in a row and miss gold by tenths of seconds, but I would not stop until I got that damn gold.

Paradise is frustrating in a completely different way. The only things I enjoy at this point are the road rage and stunt run events. Other than that, I just like driving around the map and looking for jumps and such.
Old 01-29-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BravesMG...

That's my take on it. I just keep exploring or just see what I can and can't do.
Old 01-29-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Burnout has always been frustrating in a fun way for me. You could run the same burning lap 10 times in a row and miss gold by tenths of seconds, but I would not stop until I got that damn gold.

Paradise is frustrating in a completely different way. The only things I enjoy at this point are the road rage and stunt run events. Other than that, I just like driving around the map and looking for jumps and such.
Oh yeah. In Revenge I did White Mountain(?) Burning Lap for a couple of hours. At around the first hour mark I missed the Gold time by 0:01. Talk about frustrating.
Old 01-29-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh, I played through Revenge first player, then went outline, first player, even at the higher levels was easy. It wasn't until I got involved in the online community that I learned how to race. I went back for kicks to try the single player after about 3 months of exclusively playing online. If you think the AI was brutal in Revenge you didn't experience that game at all.
Old 01-29-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance
Eh, I played through Revenge first player, then went outline, first player, even at the higher levels was easy. It wasn't until I got involved in the online community that I learned how to race. I went back for kicks to try the single player after about 3 months of exclusively playing online. If you think the AI was brutal in Revenge you didn't experience that game at all.
translation:
"I rule, you suck."

That's how it reads, anyways...
Old 02-03-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i went online in Burnout Paradise for the first time this weekend. I had such a blast. You go online and still get credit for all the stuff you do in the single player mode. It was fun doing virtual "bumper cars" just trying to take down your opponents. It'd be nice to get a group of DVD talk members together.
Old 02-04-08, 03:21 PM

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. If anyone wants to get together and complete some of the co-op challenges: add me to your friends list.

gamertag: JustinRT
Old 02-04-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Yep, multiplayer is just awesome...

I've seen Martin playing... but he is always in invite only.... that bitch!
Old 02-04-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Yep, multiplayer is just awesome...

I've seen Martin playing... but he is always in invite only.... that bitch!
Yeah, I think I sent him a message to invite me in the other night and got ignored. Punk ass.

Then again, there was a group of guys including him that invited me in for a night when Revenge came out. Let's just say it wasn't fun for all the other guys.
Old 02-05-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
JustinRT - I'll send you a friend request some time this week. Im usually on the weekends but manage to get in during the week here and there.

Im running out of realistic Achievement opportunities on this game. I think the online challenges are all that I'll get to. Im trying to get my Paradise license now, but damn if every race, rage and marked man aren't the biggest bitch now.
Old 02-05-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I think I sent him a message to invite me in the other night and got ignored. Punk ass.

Then again, there was a group of guys including him that invited me in for a night when Revenge came out. Let's just say it wasn't fun for all the other guys.
YOU DID NOT!!!!!!!! Had I recieved such a message I would have invited you for sure. I'll probably be playing tonight so if you guys want to play just kick me a message.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.