Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo exploring using same platform for handheld/console in future

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Nintendo exploring using same platform for handheld/console in future

Some of this was known, some of it has long been speculated, but I think this is the closest thing to official confirmation that we've seen. From the Nintendo-provided translation of the Q&A from their recent investor meeting:

Question:
You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.
Answer:
Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.
TL;DR:

* The next Nintendo handheld and console will have similar architecture to streamline software development.

* This architecture will be based to some extent on the Wii U (so this presumably means they're sticking with PowerPC over x86).

* Unsure if handheld and console will be the same physical piece of hardware...a single device or two separate devices

* Would like Android/iOS approach where the same software works on multiple types of hardware; potential for the same piece of software playable on handheld or console without any extra hoops? Not necessarily that the experience would be identical, but that the game could 'scale down' on a handheld, and presumably there'd be some sort of cross-save feature?

One of Nintendo's biggest struggles is trying to support multiple platforms, and if this pans out, "buy once, play anywhere" sure is one way of doing it!
Old 02-03-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nintendo exploring using same platform for handheld/console in future

This is the strategy that has most most excited for Nintendo's future. I don't feel as optimistic about the Power PC approach because I think it will maintain a separation between them and Sony/Microsoft. When do you think we could see a launch? 2017?
Old 02-03-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I still don't understand quite how it can work, unless they're going underpowered again. How can you make something that looks like a PS4/XO game at home but actually runs on a handheld? Remember, the handheld can't cost that much if they want it to sell.

I realize that PC games can be developed to run on a range of hardware, with graphics options. Maybe the handheld version runs at 480/30fps while the home version is 1080/60fps. Even then, developers will have to make adjustments for each platform, whether technical (like developing separate textures for each) or cosmetic (making text readable on both). In any case, Nintendo will need to give the handheld a lot of RAM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Assuming Nintendo does go down this path:

* Dollars to doughnuts, it'll be underpowered compared to what Sony and Microsoft have on store shelves.

* The handheld versions almost certainly won't look like a PS4/Xbox One game.

* Hopefully Nintendo's heavy investment in R&D has worked out / is in the process of smoothening out some of the kinks in this sort of cross-platform development. There's certainly no way the handheld and console versions would be able to share the same textures, maintain the same poly counts, etc. while still being reasonably competitive with other consoles, at least not at a rational price point.

* For "buy once, play anywhere", I don't know how they'd distribute games unless they're thinking about going all-digital or including both cartridges/optical media with each physical copy.

Iwata hasn't flat-out said this is what they're going to do, though. Could just be that they want the architecture to be very similar so they could port software very easily/inexpensively, streamline their development tools/processes, etc., but it won't be "buy once, play anywhere".
Old 02-03-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple weeks ago I was about to pull the trigger on a Wii U. Now every single piece of news is like don't even think about getting a Wii U. It's like not even Nintendo believes in it.
Old 02-08-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, the narrative about Wii U is terrible. Amazon doesn't even sell it anymore, my local Target didn't have any... To someone not paying attention it looks discontinued.

I think Nintendo is a victim of their own success. Coming off of an era with both the Wii and DS, two of their best-selling systems ever, well, it's a tough act to follow. They know they can't compete head-on with Sony and Microsoft since they can't afford to take a loss on the hardware for years. This is the only thing they can attempt to address their small third-party libraries.

The only other thing I can think of is developing a PS4 source transpiler, allowing a jump start for third-party developers to more easily port PS4 games. That would require an enormous amount of work, but get them some same-day launches.
Old 02-08-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, Amazon never carried the Wii U. They just started selling the 3DS a couple months ago.
Old 02-08-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah. Third party sellers sell the Wii U, but Amazon never has. There was a lengthy point in time when you couldn't get a DS, 3DS, Wii, or Wii U from Amazon.

Accounts vary. One story is that some of the 3DSes Amazon sold had some issues (easily scratched screen, loose hinges that'd shut during gameplay, etc.), customers returned them to Amazon, Amazon returned them to Nintendo, and Nintendo said "everything's within design specifications" and wouldn't credit Amazon back. Another story is that when the 3DS bellyflopped initially, Amazon wanted a deeper discount from Nintendo and/or wanted to be able to discount the handhelds themselves. Nintendo said no, so Amazon stopped selling Nintendo hardware.
Old 02-08-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure that idea is gonna compete with the big two.

Last edited by starseed1981; 02-08-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It doesn't have to. Nintendo can't win that race, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 02-09-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish nintendo would stop with this overly creative ways to play shit, and instead focus on the games ffs. The last time they did this was n64. when the ps2 happened they were owned because they started doing ridiculous nonsense.
Old 02-09-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I feel like this approach lets Nintendo focus far more effectively on games than they're able to currently. Can you explain why you disagree?
Old 02-09-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I feel like this approach lets Nintendo focus far more effectively on games than they're able to currently. Can you explain why you disagree?
I think the challenge is that their management refuses to play the game. This stems back to the fifth generation and their refusal to shift games to the CD-Rom format. They're trying to be Apple and dictate what the consumer marketplace should want. The problem in that strategy is that their core audience has gotten older and shifted to more powerful third party oriented consoles. Even if their core focus is shifting to families and children they'll fail because those markets are beyond saturated. To younger gamers things like tablets and smartphones are the new consoles. Nintendo's issues are nothing that a new management team couldn't overcome. The strategies listed above won't bring them back to prominence. Plain and simple, they commit bad business.

And yes, they do need to compete with the big two. Their stockprice as of late is proof of that. I'm sure they'll try massive stock buyback in the next quarter but it won't be enough to alleviate investor pressure.
Old 02-09-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by starseed1981
And yes, they do need to compete with the big two.
What would you like to see Nintendo do, specifically? (FWIW, I wrote a longer list of how I'd rewrite Nintendo's past few years in this post.)

I guess I just look at Sony and Microsoft as doing essentially the same thing in the same way. There are differences, of course -- Kinect, different genres being more heavily emphasized -- but those two platforms, the branding, the marketing, the games available, a lot of the bells and whistles, etc. are far more similar than not.

It's hard for me to see the answer to Nintendo's troubles as being releasing the same hardware Sony and Microsoft are, releasing the same types of games they are, and catering to the same market they are, especially when Nintendo gave Sony and Microsoft such a massive headstart over the past couple generations. I'm sure you're not suggesting that Nintendo basically release their own PS4 and march in lockstep with everything Microsoft/Sony does, only with Mario popping in every once in a while, but that is something I see a lot on gaming blogs and message boards.

Nintendo has made a lot of mistakes for quite a while now, and marketing/branding, weak leadership, genre/franchise fatigue, overly Eastern focus, and arrogance are all very high on the list. One of the more glaring problems to me, though, is Nintendo's inability to support multiple platforms. They can't keep a steady supply of games coming to both the 3DS and Wii U, and that there are nearly identical games in the same franchises on both handhelds and consoles is a misstep as well. Having one common platform streamlines a lot of the development headaches they're having right now, and it eases a lot of the marketing issues they've had with the Wii U. It's not a magic bullet, but if executed correctly (always iffy with Nintendo), I think it could be very successful for them. They can be extremely profitable without being #1.

One thing I see mentioned over and over in threads about the state of Nintendo today is how people wish the company would just put out a simple, straightforward console so they could play some really great Nintendo games. I think this common platform approach has the potential to deliver just that.
Old 02-09-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the past half decade is any indicator the primary sales driver in the industry is multi-platform titles. All these game engines being created as of late are made with scalability in mind. 3rd party developers simply won't hire extra analysts to downgrade an expensive engine to support a Nintendo console. It makes no sense. And without 3rd party support Nintendo won't experience a sustainable amount of success this time around. In my opinion they should call it a wash on the WiiU and release a console with similar specs to the X-Bone & PS4. Then, I would have them farm out their first party titles to smaller but very reliable developers and have their own senior leadership act as active producers on the projects (similar to the arrangement with Retro studios or the late 90's arrangment with Rare). The pace of these releases will also have to increase dramatically as well. Considering the size of their current balance sheet this is certainly achievable. And that isn't a luxury most companies in this position have; henceforth, alot of the frustration going on.

However, it appears as though they are trying to differentiate by appealing to families and children. But again, those markets are saturated. Even with this multi-platform rollout they'd be delivering an underpowered experience. The uphill climb in that strategy is so enormous they are almost guranteed to fail. I'm a Nintendo fan (and stock holder unfortunatley) but the errors they are making simply blow my mind.
Old 02-09-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I meant i want them to focus on their games really simply, not on the hardware of how their system looks or how it pulls apart like a lego piece with a wire connecting it. They see it as innovation, and to some degree anything out of the norm is met with criticism (ala me for example). All i'm saying is they put on hold their funds for r&d on making the system unique and revert it to just r&d to the 1st/3rd party devs making the games. I know they have it in them to do this because i too am a nintendo fanboy and was on the n64 side during the ps1 war, despite the latter having a zillion more games, n64 just proved the classic quality>quantity mantra and the library of their games are more remembered whilst only 1% of ps1's library people still talk about today. During the gcn-ps2 era they fell to shit because imo (metroid prime was like the only thing, along with square's comeback; however metroid used to be my #1 series and they could have just made it into metroid 64 yep). I had a gcn but holy moly that was the nadir, cesspool of nintendo's history, that system and its library was an embarrassment [no matter how much everyone was trying to pimp it]. Again the games #1, Nintendo needs to stop "exploring using the same platform" at all, just have it be a gray box again and focus on the devs.
Old 02-09-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by duff beer
Again the games #1, Nintendo needs to stop "exploring using the same platform" at all
I guess we have different interpretations of what "using the same platform" means. I see it as doing exactly what you're suggesting: getting things on a more common platform so that the box doesn't matter as much, empowering Nintendo to more effectively/efficiently focus on the games. More standardized tools, less division between console/handheld, etc.
Old 02-09-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-09-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In theory, any game engine that uses OpenGL should port over to the Wii U or any PowerPC piece of hardware. However, game publishers are not porting their games over as the audience (and money) is not there.

I'm still in the camp that thinks Nintendo either adapts to x86 architecture to go head-to-head with Microsoft and Sony OR give up on hardware and focus specifically on software.
Old 02-09-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly think it should pull a Sega and this coming from someone who was on nintendo's side on all the gens up to including 5.
Old 02-09-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My biggest fear about Nintendo going software-only is that they'd be even more conservative than they are now -- that the willingness to experiment (dialed-down though it's been in recent years) and those distinctively Nintendo-esque idiosyncrasies that they could afford when it was their platform would be wiped away to hedge their bets. We'd likely see fewer games, and the games we do see would be the same few established franchises over and over and over. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo software can't be removed from their hardware without losing a lot in the process.
Old 02-09-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Never thought about it that way but you're probably right. Software only Nintendo would likely kill any chances of new IPs... not like they're lighting it up lately on that front anyway.
Old 02-10-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the thing about Nintendo. Unlike Sony, Nintendo has a cash reserve. Even with the hardware failure of the Wii U, Nintendo still has billions on hand. Now they're just being extremely conservative on what their next steps are.

If they were to go software-only, they would do one of two things:

1. Market their software on all available platforms possible. Android, iOS, PS4, Xbox One, Mac, Windows, etc. Target all the platforms. They can still be within the hardware business with the 3DS (and other handhelds) alongside manufacturing accessories.

2. Make an exclusive deal with Microsoft or Sony. For example, Microsoft or Sony could sacrifice their publishing costs (who get +/- $15 per piece of software sold) in exchange for exclusivity. Everyone wins. Nintendo makes pure profit on the software, Microsoft or Sony makes more hardware sales.

Nintendo could also just make a gaming console that uses x86 architecture. They can continue their motion control and GamePad gimmicks, maybe even add a new one or two. However, they need to make a console that makes it easier for all developers to bring their games over to the console. Let it be a AAA publisher or an independent company that has a single employee. That's why the PS4 was such a success for independent developers. The games they've published on other platforms now take little-to-no time to port to the console.

Let's face it. Sony is broke, so they can't purchase Nintendo. Microsoft doesn't have the will to purchase Nintendo. The only tech companies that have the cash on hand to do an all out buy out are Apple and Google.
Old 02-10-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My biggest fear about Nintendo going software-only is that they'd be even more conservative than they are now -- that the willingness to experiment (dialed-down though it's been in recent years) and those distinctively Nintendo-esque idiosyncrasies that they could afford when it was their platform would be wiped away to hedge their bets. We'd likely see fewer games, and the games we do see would be the same few established franchises over and over and over. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I can't shake the feeling that Nintendo software can't be removed from their hardware without losing a lot in the process.
I'd love to see them become software only. I can only imagine how hectic their software development time tables are being the main pipeline for console games on the Wii/Wii U.

As a software only company sure we might only be looking at only a few A+ titles a year but there would be room for much longer development periods and better, more memorable, games like the golden years.

I disagree that they wouldn't try new IPs. It would probably be less risky to bang one out every now and then if they are not having to support and worry about an entire console failing.
Old 02-10-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Here's the thing about Nintendo. Unlike Sony, Nintendo has a cash reserve. Even with the hardware failure of the Wii U, Nintendo still has billions on hand. Now they're just being extremely conservative on what their next steps are.

If they were to go software-only, they would do one of two things:

1. Market their software on all available platforms possible. Android, iOS, PS4, Xbox One, Mac, Windows, etc. Target all the platforms. They can still be within the hardware business with the 3DS (and other handhelds) alongside manufacturing accessories.

2. Make an exclusive deal with Microsoft or Sony. For example, Microsoft or Sony could sacrifice their publishing costs (who get +/- $15 per piece of software sold) in exchange for exclusivity. Everyone wins. Nintendo makes pure profit on the software, Microsoft or Sony makes more hardware sales.

Nintendo could also just make a gaming console that uses x86 architecture. They can continue their motion control and GamePad gimmicks, maybe even add a new one or two. However, they need to make a console that makes it easier for all developers to bring their games over to the console. Let it be a AAA publisher or an independent company that has a single employee. That's why the PS4 was such a success for independent developers. The games they've published on other platforms now take little-to-no time to port to the console.

Let's face it. Sony is broke, so they can't purchase Nintendo. Microsoft doesn't have the will to purchase Nintendo. The only tech companies that have the cash on hand to do an all out buy out are Apple and Google.
They certainly are in a pickle regarding the Wii U. Personally I think they might be better off riding it's life out at this point. The first Wii hit mainstream custormers, many of which let the thing sit unused, and therefore will not buy the Wii U. Leftover Nintendo faithful bought the Wii U, and I don't believe killing it asap is going to get most of these people to turn around and buy another system so soon.

All signs seem to indicate to me that Nintendo is looking forward to a merger of some sort. Only question is with who.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.