Atlus unveils new Wii RPG: Baroque

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Atlus unveils new Wii RPG: Baroque

Old 12-12-07, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlus unveils new Wii/PS2 RPG: Baroque

Here's the skinny, straight from the press release:

Atlus U.S.A., Inc. announces hardcore RPG BaroqueTM for WiiTM and PlayStation®2

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — DECEMBER 12th, 2007 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced Baroque, a new dungeon-crawling action RPG for the WiiTM and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Dark, addictively challenging, and totally immersive, Baroque is a pure RPG experience, highly regarded by Japanese gamers and now finally scheduled to arrive in North America! Baroque is currently slated for release in February 2008.

For more on Baroque, please visit the official website!

About Baroque

You awaken to find the world in ruin, your heart beset with unexplained guilt. A cataclysm has destroyed the cities and empires of men and disfigured the spirit of humanity. In this nightmare, it falls to you to descend a mysterious tower in search of absolution. Battle merciless foes through treacherous dungeons, scour for new items to aid you in your travels, and unlock the secrets of a devastated land. You will find death in the depths, yet learn that death is not the end of the story; in the twisted world of Baroque, it is only the beginning.

Key Features

• Hardcore dungeon-crawling RPG action! With its many ever-changing levels, each teeming with perverse monsters and tormented souls, the world of Baroque is a frightening and unforgiving realm.

• Death is not the end - Take part in a unique story progression system in which the end of your life only serves to drive the adventure forward. Each time your character dies, more secrets about the forsaken world are revealed!

• Deep customization options – The player has full control over how they shape their character and how they play the game. Find and equip a vast assortment of weapons and items, some with a variety of uses. Acquire powerful stat-boosting parasites and combine them to multiply their potency. Only the resourceful will survive!

Baroque has been rated “T” for Teen with Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, and Tobacco Reference by the ESRB.

Last edited by Peter Skerritt; 12-12-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-12-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Skerritt

Baroque has been rated “T” for Tobacco Reference.
Old 12-12-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, Baroque is ten years old.. but new in the US though. It's made by Sting, the company that developed GBA gems Riviera and Yggdra Union. It's one I've always been interested since I love me some hardcore dungeon crawling, so I'm excited by this news. Jesus, February is becoming murderous on my bank account.
Old 12-12-07, 01:08 PM

Was it a PSX title, Pixy? 10 years ago... 1997... that would make sense. That, or the Saturn.

The premise seems decent; I love action RPGs.
Old 12-12-07, 01:12 PM

The one thing that stands out for me is the whole more story is told as you die. I like that.
Old 12-12-07, 01:13 PM
Suspended

Willing to get anything a try from the makers of PW and Trauma Center.
Old 12-12-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Actually, Baroque is ten years old.. but new in the US though. It's made by Sting, the company that developed GBA gems Riviera and Yggdra Union. It's one I've always been interested since I love me some hardcore dungeon crawling, so I'm excited by this news. Jesus, February is becoming murderous on my bank account.
Hopefully they don't mess with it too much. You know what they say: if it ain't baroque, don't fix it.
Old 12-12-07, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hopefully they don't mess with it too much. You know what they say: if it ain't baroque, don't fix it.
And here I thought I was being nice by avoiding that obvious pun when posting the original topic. Ha ha ha...
Old 12-12-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peter Skerritt
Was it a PSX title, Pixy? 10 years ago... 1997... that would make sense. That, or the Saturn.
It was originally a Saturn game in 1998 but it was ported (with tweaks) to the PS1 a year later.

I've been reading a few things up on it, it sounds like it plays like Phantasy Star Online with randomly generated levels but has a setting more akin to Dragon Quarter or the Shin Megami Tensei games. In other words, a day one purchase for the Pix.
Old 12-12-07, 02:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wii is sorely lacking in the RPG department, so this is good news.
Old 12-12-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It was originally a Saturn game in 1998 but it was ported (with tweaks) to the PS1 a year later.

I've been reading a few things up on it, it sounds like it plays like Phantasy Star Online with randomly generated levels but has a setting more akin to Dragon Quarter or the Shin Megami Tensei games. In other words, a day one purchase for the Pix.
I have the Saturn and PS1 versions. Unfortunately the only thing Megami Tensei
about it is some of the enemy designs. It's a dungeon crawl similar to Shadow
Tower, but roguelike (think Climax Landers). The old ones were 1st person, whereas
this one is third, making it look very PSO like as Pixy mentioned.