Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread - Part VIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, I just got a Wii....had GameRush credit left and they had one in-stock. Now, I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. I'm sure I will play it on a limited basis, but still should b efun....the wife might like it.

Thus far, I got the Wii and a Nunchuck. I will also get Wii Play for the extra remote. I also ordered a Wii Component cable from Monoprice.com

What else do I need?
Super Mario Galaxy! You will be playing much more than on a limited basis, with that game. It's due for release next week.

If you don't have it connected via Wi-Fi, I would do that, also. Buy a wireless router, if you don't have one. Around $40.00 for a Netgear, for example. Easy as pie to set-up. You might buy a Wii Points card, or, buy them via the Wii Shopping Channel, and get some games for the Virtual Console.

I think you'll find there's a lot you can do with the Wii!

Congratulations!
Old 11-10-07, 12:02 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Super Mario Galaxy! You will be playing much more than on a limited basis, with that game. It's due for release next week.

If you don't have it connected via Wi-Fi, I would do that, also. Buy a wireless router, if you don't have one. Around $40.00 for a Netgear, for example. Easy as pie to set-up. You might buy a Wii Points card, or, buy them via the Wii Shopping Channel, and get some games for the Virtual Console.

I think you'll find there's a lot you can do with the Wii!

Congratulations!
I agree with MMO.

If you do the Mario Galaxy thing, go to TRU and pre-order it and get the $25 GC and use that on Zach & Wiki.
Old 11-10-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Does anybody know of you can play Mario sitting down?
Old 11-10-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Does anybody know of you can play Mario sitting down?
No, you can only play Mario Galaxy while on a trip with NASA aboard the Discovery. Only then will you be able to experience the game as it was meant to be played. Playing while laying down, sitting, or flailing your arms around like an ape, are not acceptable ways to play.
Old 11-10-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait to finally turn on my Wii again for this game.
Old 11-10-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

I am going to pick up a Wii tomorrow .... My biggest fear is the sensitivity of the motion (actually, the lack thereof).

What I want to know is, just how sensitive is the motion sensor? I mean, with boxing, or example, is there like 3 or 4 imaginary division, where any motion in either of those areas will result in the same motion every time? Or is the onscreen location of the gloves, true to your movement?

The reason I ask, is because I tried this motion sensing game (some cheap toy) a few months back -- it was a ping pong game. And, all it did was register a yes or no when i swung... So, if i swung at the correct time, the guy would hit the ball - no matter how i sung or where I swung... So basically, instead of hitting a button, i swung to initiate the hit -- that's crap.

I am hoping that the wii takes into consideration how high or low, or left or right my hand actually is...

I hope your responses are what I am looking for.....

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 11-10-07, 04:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Don't expect 1:1 motion sensing. It's simply not that precise.
Old 11-10-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While it does not do 1:1, trust me that it does a much better job than just registering your motion. It comes close to 1:1 motion, but, as Groucho said, it's not quite that precise.

It's hard to describe it, without you actuallly playing it. All that can really be said is that it works. If it didn't work, you wouldn't see so many people buying one. It's that simple. People play it, and they want one.

That's the best that I can give. I think you'll be pleased.
Old 11-10-07, 06:07 PM

I saw Mercury Meltdown at Sears today, so I picked it up. I think it is worth the $20 price tag and so far it seems to have more levels and is more entertaining than the Marble Mania game.
Old 11-10-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool...

My wife and I picked up an extra controller and nunchuck this evening -- in anticipation of tomorrow's Wii!

Do the controllers have rechargeable circuitry -- that is, if I have rechargeable batteries in the controller, will the batteries charge when the remote is plugged into the unit?

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 11-11-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Cool...

My wife and I picked up an extra controller and nunchuck this evening -- in anticipation of tomorrow's Wii!

Do the controllers have rechargeable circuitry -- that is, if I have rechargeable batteries in the controller, will the batteries charge when the remote is plugged into the unit?

Thanks,

Matt!
No. I don't even think the remotes can plug into the Wii.
Old 11-11-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish there was a good boxing game, why no fight night?
Old 11-11-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to make everyone aware that the new Check Mii Out channel is available for download. You have to go to the Wii Shopping Channel, and it is in the Wii Ware section. It is free to download. I downloaded it, but, haven't had a chance to check it out. My shows for the night (Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters) are on, so, I will check it out after they air.
Old 11-11-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I downloaded it and literally lost interest in under a minute.
Old 11-11-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone confirm / deny?

Originally Posted by Joystiq
Audiophilic owners of Guitar Hero III for the Wii have noticed that not only does the game not support Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound systems (despite that feature being advertised), but it doesn't even output sound in stereo.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/11/wi...ly-mono-sound/

What a debacle if true.
Old 11-12-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Anyone confirm / deny?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/11/wi...ly-mono-sound/

What a debacle if true.
I sold mine, but I think this is correct. The problem is the way Dolby Pro Logic II works. On my receiver I turn it on and whatever sound it gets over analog from the Wii it will divide up. Even if it gets a mono signal it still tries to send sound out of the 6 channels. I didn't like the way it sounded and put it in stereo mode. I guess the mono thing was why.
Old 11-12-07, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Demontooth
I downloaded it and literally lost interest in under a minute.

Me too. All of the miis created by people can only have 2 initial names? That was dumb. I thought I was going to be able to see mii replicas of real people. But if I can only see their name as T.L. what's the point?
Old 11-12-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Anyone confirm / deny?
Absolutely true. Although I have several other games with great-sounding surround sound, when I put in GH3 I only get sound out of the center channel.

Originally Posted by darkside
The problem is the way Dolby Pro Logic II works. On my receiver I turn it on and whatever sound it gets over analog from the Wii it will divide up. Even if it gets a mono signal it still tries to send sound out of the 6 channels. I didn't like the way it sounded and put it in stereo mode. I guess the mono thing was why.
I don't think it's fair to blame the problem on DPLII. When properly implemented it sounds great. There's definitely something wrong with this title. I just hope that it's actually fixed, and soon. The sound is the only thing I haven't liked about the game so far.

I did try their suggestions and changed modes on my receiver, but as mentioned that only gets the mono signal outputted to more channels. It ends up sounding just as odd as when I tried listening to the mono version of Pet Sounds through all of my speakers.
Old 11-12-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super Mario Galaxy and Geometry Wars Galaxies!
Old 11-12-07, 08:22 AM

The DPLII is definitely screwed up on GH3, although it sounds great on other games. However, the game does play in Stereo in multiplayer -- you can clearly hear the other player out of the right speaker, and yourself out of the left speaker.
Old 11-12-07, 08:31 AM

Regarding the "Check Mii Out" channel. It's pretty cool. A fun diversion, pretty much exactly what I expected. I am amazed at some of the Miis people have made -- I look at them and have no idea how I could replicate it.

Some complaints:
  1. You only can see initials, not full names. I imagine this was to prevent lawsuits, but it's pretty annoying.
  2. You can only have one Mii artisan per Wii. Somebody else in your family wants to submit? NO SOUP FOR THEM! They have to do it under your name.
  3. There's no function to easily see all the Miis you have submitted. Workaround: pick one of your more unique Miis, and look at their friends.
Old 11-12-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will download that in a bit...maybe submit my Jack Sparrow, which I'm very proud of.

Meanwhile, IGN says they nailed Wii controls for Lego Star Wars...and that they have a convincing lightsaber hum coming out of the Wiimote. I was already probably going to get it...but FUCKING SOLD!

Glad I sold the old ones already.
Old 11-12-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Will download that in a bit...maybe submit my Jack Sparrow, which I'm very proud of.

Meanwhile, IGN says they nailed Wii controls for Lego Star Wars...and that they have a convincing lightsaber hum coming out of the Wiimote. I was already probably going to get it...but FUCKING SOLD!

Glad I sold the old ones already.
I had a tough choice to make this weekend and ended up buying the PS3 version for the slicker visuals. However, I was very close to buying it on the Wii for the Wii Remote features. The Wii and PS3 version were the same price so I went with online and slightly better looking.

I'm really enjoying it. It is still a great game and I wanted to play through it again especially since I never played Episodes 1-3 before.
Old 11-12-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Super Mario Galaxy and Geometry Wars Galaxies!
Yay! Me too! In addition to Assassin's Creed. Good thing I just finished CoD4 (and Orange Box just before that, though I've yet to exhaust their multi-player elements) - I'm going at a good clip and can't wait for more - thanks to this writers strike, I'll have more time for games than ever.
Old 11-12-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Does anyone know what comes out on the VC today?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.