Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The XBLA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Even though the ad clearly allowed the purchase of a 1600 and getting another one free, the computers didn't allow it (it required a manual override) and it probably wasn't what the folks at CC had intended. I ended up with 7200 points for $45 + tax (which I never understood, why pay tax for the purchase of points?).
I should have purchased more but I was travelling that week.
And that was assuming your CC actually had cards. Mine had 1 1600 point card the day of the ad and didn't get any more that week.
Old 10-07-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And that was assuming your CC actually had cards. Mine had 1 1600 point card the day of the ad and didn't get any more that week.
Yep. And it didn't work online. I only got mine via a guy on CAG who bought out a bunch and just charged me $12/card.
Old 10-08-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And to add to it, they took the cards out of their search engine for that week, so that no one could do an in-store pickup and try to get a pricematch. However, they weren't smart enough to pull the whole page, and if you had the old url in cache, you could still check stock. Of course, no stores around here put them into inventory until after the sale was over. I'm done with the CC talk for now.

Let's get back to talking about Puzzle Quest!
Old 10-08-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, you are allowed to order them from the CS desk which I did. Got $40 worth.
Old 10-08-07, 08:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Even though the ad clearly allowed the purchase of a 1600 and getting another one free, the computers didn't allow it (it required a manual override) and it probably wasn't what the folks at CC had intended. I ended up with 7200 points for $45 + tax (which I never understood, why pay tax for the purchase of points?).
I should have purchased more but I was travelling that week.
The one I went to had 2 1600 point cards. When I went to the register and they didnt ring up with one free, I showed her the ad and she called the manager.
The manager refused to honor the sale saying "I'm not giving you basically one of the items for free. The points aren't accessories, you have to buy the XBox accessories." He pointed me to controllers and headsets. When I showed him a big sign in their own store that showed the point cards, he said "I guess I will let you get one point card if you buy an actual accessory." I asked him, what the difference was if I bought a $20 headset and the $20 point card, one was still going to be free. He just shook his head and removed the sign from the display.

That was the last time I step foot in CC.
Old 10-08-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CVG is stating that next week's (10/17) release is SpeedBall II: Brutal Deluxe.
Old 10-08-07, 11:10 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

2 new Arcade releases this week: (One of them is FREE, but possibly filled with Toyota advertising.)

SCREENSHOTS of both games are up on VGT as well as video trailers: http://www.videogametalk.com/news.php

Two brand spankin’ new titles join the Xbox LIVE Arcade library this week! “Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords™” ups the ante on traditional puzzle games by incorporating strategy and role-playing elements in a captivating world with a persistent storyline. Also, gamers will get a special treat this week as Toyota brings to life one of their newest model of cars in “Yaris,” the first dodger/shooter driving game on the platform, for free! Both games are available for download this Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

“Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords” delivers classic puzzle-game action paired with an epic story of good versus evil. The Xbox LIVE Arcade version of “Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords” contains all of the content found on other platform versions, but is now optimized to take advantage of a widescreen, HD display and LIVE features like camera support, Achievements, leaderboards and Gamerscore. Additionally, the game includes some minor rebalancing and gameplay tweaks to enhance the gaming experience. Developed by Infinite Interactive Pty. Ltd., “Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords” is available for download worldwide on Xbox LIVE Arcade for 1200 Microsoft Points.

· For more details on “Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords,” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/p/pu...de/default.htm

“Yaris” is a quick, fast and easy-to-learn game that puts players behind the wheel of a customizable Toyota Yaris to destroy enemies, avoid obstacles, and finish the course before it finishes them. Players will enjoy customization options and an arsenal of weapons while they attack enemies and advance to the next level. “Yaris” features online multiplayer over Xbox LIVE, allowing gamers to challenge each other for the best time and score. Developed by Backbone Entertainment, “Yaris” is the first free brand-supported game on Xbox LIVE Arcade and is available for download in the U.S. and Canada for one full year.

· For more details on “Yaris,” please visit http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/y/ya...de/default.htm
Check VGT for reviews of both titles this week.

Last edited by Flay; 10-08-07 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if XBLA will ever get Altered beast? Thats my favorite sega game.
Old 10-08-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
That's kinda clever, free game to advertise your car brand. I doubt it'll sell many cars, but it may increase brand awareness among a desired demographic. Interesting. I have no doubt that the game will suck, however.

I'm over 90% certain that I'll buy Puzzle Quest. It's such a great game and after some consideration it's probably worth 1200 points to me just to be able to play it on the big TV.
Old 10-08-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PQ will be much better if we have a good community of opponents to choose from here as well. Each 1200 points spent by us makes each of our 1200 points spent more of a bargain.
Old 10-08-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's kinda clever, free game to advertise your car brand. I doubt it'll sell many cars, but it may increase brand awareness among a desired demographic. Interesting. I have no doubt that the game will suck, however.
It looks absolutely horrid! However, there's 200GS tucked away in there, so it'll get at least a few plays from me.
Old 10-08-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's made by Backbone, of course it's poor.
Old 10-08-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1200 points? Not a chance...not for a game I've never played.

The free game I'll be grabbing, though.
Old 10-08-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
1200 points? Not a chance...not for a game I've never played.
Hey, you're in luck! Rumor has it that this XBLA game will allow you to download and try out the game before you have to buy it!

It's basically competitive Bejeweled with RPG/character-customization elements that include abilities based on your class and level. But it requires you to match gems on the board to build up your mana pools to use/cast such abilities.

There's a lengthy single-player quest, plus online. What's not to love?!
Old 10-08-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
There's a lengthy single-player quest, plus online. What's not to love?!
What's not to love? The fact that it's an insurmountable $15, apparently.
Old 10-08-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
What's not to love? The fact that it's an insurmountable $15, apparently.
One man's 1200 points is not necessarily another man's $15

Also that single-player quest can be quite different depending on the class you choose.
Old 10-08-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Hey, you're in luck! Rumor has it that this XBLA game will allow you to download and try out the game before you have to buy it!
Actually, you don't even need a 360!

http://www.infinite-interactive.com/...quest/demo.php

Try that, THEN tell me you're still not interested.
Old 10-08-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm getting PQ for sure
Old 10-08-07, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll probably get Puzzle Quest, but I just broke down last week and bought myself a DS, along with PQ. I'm not sure I need to buy the same game on two platforms within a span of 7 days.
Old 10-09-07, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am buying Puzzle Quest. I waited to get it for XBLA instead of DS, and now's the time to bite. And ya, I'll dl Yaris. Should be an easy 200 achievement points at the least.
Old 10-09-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lordwow
I am buying Puzzle Quest. I waited to get it for XBLA instead of DS, and now's the time to bite. And ya, I'll dl Yaris. Should be an easy 200 achievement points at the least.
That's what everyone said about the BK games before they came out and some of those are damn near impossible to get.
Old 10-09-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's what everyone said about the BK games before they came out and some of those are damn near impossible to get.
Ya that's true. But Yaris is downloadable right?
Old 10-09-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only spent money on Puzzle Fighter, Pacman: CE, and Geometry Wars. But those three are easily my most played games on my 360. I find myself always going to them instead of "real" games.
Old 10-09-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the DS version of Puzzle Quest difficulty level was pretty broken, and had some annoying spelling errors and display bugs. But even in the event of none of that being fixed (I've heard that the balanced is tweaked at least) I think it's still pretty recommendable at $15.
Old 10-09-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I've only spent money on Puzzle Fighter, Pacman: CE, and Geometry Wars. But those three are easily my most played games on my 360. I find myself always going to them instead of "real" games.
Ya, 360voice tracks my games played since I started using it, and UNO and Carcassone are my most played. I think it has a lot to do with they're easy to pick up and play quickly. I sometimes will play an arcade game if I only have 10-15 minutes free and don't want to spend a lot of time loading something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.