Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Etrian Odyssey Thread (DS)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One and Only Etrian Odyssey Thread (DS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I got the Dragon's Egg but still haven't found the Crystal Key. Did I miss anything? Also, to get to the next floor, do I have to beat the Wyvern? If so, any tips? I keep getting pwned whenever he sees me.
Old 11-01-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
You do not have to beat the Wyvern. I am on the fourth stratum, and never beat him. Now that I think about it I should go back and give it a shot. The crystal key is there. You just have to make sure to map every part of the floor called the pain journey or something like that? It's in a treasure chest.
Old 11-02-07, 02:51 AM

check it out!!!

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 11-02-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I beat the Wyvern and got nothing for it. NOTHING. No item drops, and no experience. What is up with that? This is the second creature I beat that gave no experience that I can remember. The Golem was the other one.
Old 11-02-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, status update. I'm up to level 18, and it's completely mapped. I'm just going to do some leveling here before heading down to 19. I like this level. It's a huge wide open area for the most part. My characters are all at level 55.

So what happens when you beat the game? I was thinking of trying to get one of each character class to level 70. What's the benefit in retiring a character? I can see the benefit in resting, but I really dread taking the 10 level hit. I would almost rather start a new one with the things I learned.
Old 11-04-07, 12:59 PM

More notes....

Should anyone venture onto the 26th floor, you might want the following warning/hint:
Spoiler:

Make darn sure that you have at least one of the following:
1) Shock Oil for your weapons
2) A pretty high level alchemist who has strong "volt" abilities (e.g., "Thunder")
3) A Ronin with the Iai stance and the Kubiuchi "one-shot-kill" Skill.

Barring any of the above, make sure that you can escape from battles w/out fail...

I had to spend an inordinate time building up a suitable alchemist. Damn beasties (not even a FOE)...

I take back what I said earlier about the Ronin. I have done some more playing around with the character. The Ronin can be pretty quick (and deadly), if you have the Iai stance, particularly coupled with the kubiuchi "one-shot-kill" skill. In contrast to what I said earlier, the Ronin can also be pretty powerful, when he/she has an Overhead stance w/ either Zamba (one attack, but real powerful) or Midareba (up to 3 attacks against a single opponent, each doing a fair amount of damage).

The worst bit is the fact it takes at least two turns (one to assume a stance, the 2nd to actually pull off an attack) to get serious production from the Ronin.

The Hexer is still a bit weak IMHO. It can be real fun, but it seems like the Hexer's powers are ineffective against the (higher-level) enemies against whom you really need the powers to work.
Old 11-04-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

26th floor? Damn I thought you guys said the last floor was 25. This game is damn long.
Old 11-05-07, 06:45 AM

Well...

There is a major beastie on floor 25...but the game continues.

All things considered, I would rather have a situation like this (e.g., long game) rather than be done with it in a couple of hours. I really have gotten my US$30 worth out of this game, that is for sure.

There were also a couple of quests that unlock access to areas of some of the upper floors. So those new areas get to be mapped.

It would be nice if at some (deep) point, a magic "new-character-leveler" would be made available. I have had to build a couple of characters and it really becomes a grind to get them past level 45ish. >sigh<

spainlinx() - the 20th floor will be really, really good for leveling. But here is a hint:

Spoiler:

Don't kill everything in one go. It spoils the fun...
Old 11-05-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had already past the floor when you wrote that. I didn't really need to level since all my characters were at level 60 by the time I got there. I am now on the Fifth Stratum and I LOVE it. This type of setting is probably my favorite type. I love the idea of a
Spoiler:
lost city. I think it is one of the most fascinating concepts, especially if the lost city is "modern" and not a tribal civilization.

I also have definitely gotten my money's worth, but I see myself starting new characters soon because I definitely wasted skill points here and there just trying stuff out. I wish I had used more of my Landsknecht's skill points on disabling binding, but I hate to have a skill, and not have it be fully maxed. How many characters can you have again?
Old 11-09-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the 25th floor,and I have 5 characters maxed out at 25. I can't wait until I get to the fight this final boss. I'm thinking about going back and trying to find all drops I missed before I fight him though.
Old 11-10-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo hoo I just beat the final boss.
Old 11-11-07, 07:07 PM

Congrats...

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Woo hoo I just beat the final boss.
What characters did you have (& levels) when you did it?
Old 11-11-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Landsknekt, Protector, Dark Hunter, Alchemist, and Medic all at level 70.
Old 11-11-07, 10:29 PM

Landsknekt, Protector, Dark Hunter, Alchemist, and Medic all at level 70.
Good mix.

How is the Dark Hunter @ the upper levels?
Old 11-12-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find her kind of a mixed bag. I went a little too eclectic with her skills I believe. I maxed out her whip skill which inflicts poison, yet it rarely works on higher level enemies. Also, when it does inflict poison, it's not really a large hit to their HP. However it does do a pretty good amount of damage, especially for the small amount of TP that it uses. The non leveled up binding whip skills dont do anything to the bigger guys since I had them at like level 1 each as a last way to spend points. I never even got to use her climax ability since I never fully bound an enemy.

On the sword side her drain attack is really good. I almost want to give up the whip skills and focus on the her sword side. I wish they allowed you to save 18 characters. I would love to have 2 characters of each class to focus differently. Just now I started an Alchemist that I will use to max out Ice and Volt spells. I just went straight for the Cocytus and Thor, and didn't even waste a point on their lower level spells.

I am debating whether or not to rest all my characters just to reallocate the points. I definitely wasted a point or 2 on cure with my protector which I never use. His smite skill does a really nice amount of damage fully maxed, but it is a little expensive. I do like his skill which organizes the party for great defense. My landsknekt does sick damage, but I probably could have allocated points better even though I maxed out his Crush attack, which is my most powerful on enemies who don't have good physical defense.

My alchemist currently has maxed out Inferno, which was a lifesaver when I was building experience, and during boss battles. I also maxed out the poision, but it's so hit or miss that I probably would do it differently if I started over.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 11-12-07 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The last boss was really easy, especially with my high level SalveII. I can't believe how addictive this game is. I was playing the stratum after the final boss, but I wasn't enjoying it as much because all my characters were maxed out, and I felt like I would be better able to fight it with characters with better skill point spending. Also, they don't seem to drop items as frequently even though I had maxed out scavenge on my alchemist.
Old 11-12-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone want to school me on a good skills build for my Protector? Or how you use one in combat besides just swinging a weapon? So far I'm finding a lot of the skills fairly useless, or maybe I'm just not doing it right.

For example "F. Guard" doesn't seem to block any more or less damage than if I didn't use it at all.
Old 11-12-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An excellent attack with the protector is the "smite" attack. It gives you an attack almost exactly as powerful as the best Landsknecht attacks.

I only leveled up front guard and back guard to level 3 each so I could unlock Defender. That I nearly maxed, and it does help me on battles with bosses especially. Other than that I honestly don't even remember what else I used with my protector in battles.
Old 11-12-07, 09:47 PM

Labyrinth Notes...

darqleo - I have a maxed-out Protector. IMHO, the best use is for his/her defense.

My protector has a maxed out "shields", "en garde", and "defender" (amongst a couple others). The forward & back guards are about half-maxed.

Defender was good at absorbing damage directed at the party, and the "rear-guard" did cut enough damage to save my Medic & Alchemist a couple of times. If I had it to do over, I would ixnay the "en garde" points, the "forward guard" points, and the few points I put towards Fortify, and put them towards the "anti-element" skills.

My advice (FWIW) would be to concentrate on maxing out the physical protection skills (e.g. Defender) while working your way through the first few levels of the dungeon. Rear Guard can come in handy. As you keep going, the anti-element stuff can come in handy too.

Other than that, and maxing out the Protector's physical armor & shield, I can't comment on any of the other skills.

Spainlinx0 - Good call on the "Thor". Particularly on the 26th floor. Thunder is also good.

FYI, for anyone venturing through, the 26th floor is an exercise in tediousness,
Old 11-13-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks spainlink0 & elengineer for the advice!
Old 11-13-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll back that up. I don't think he ever auto blocked an attack even though I put so many points towards en garde. Don't waste your points on it. I would also go towards the element defenses.
Old 11-15-07, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by darqleo
Anyone want to school me on a good skills build for my Protector? Or how you use one in combat besides just swinging a weapon? So far I'm finding a lot of the skills fairly useless, or maybe I'm just not doing it right.

For example "F. Guard" doesn't seem to block any more or less damage than if I didn't use it at all.
Good skills for a protector are HP Up, Shields, Def Up and Smite, they are the only skills for a battle type protector, now if you plan to fight the optional bosses get the Anti skills to Lvl 5 (ONLY level 5, the game is bugged)

Rest of the points is up to you, I find defender to be overkill, as you can use immunize (Medic Skill) which outclasses it. And it is a buff slot better used for Bravery or Relaxing (Troubadour Skills)

I'll back that up. I don't think he ever auto blocked an attack even though I put so many points towards en garde. Don't waste your points on it. I would also go towards the element defenses.
En Garde may not seem to work, but it is a skill that doesn't notify when it kicks in, if it is maxed go with him into stratum one and just see how many times damage doesn't affect him.

Last edited by NemesisX; 11-15-07 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-16-07, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by NemesisX
...the game is bugged
I have suspected as much with certain things.

Would you happen to have a source that lists the bugs?
Old 11-16-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the Defender skill.... when used how long does it last? Just for that round? The whole battle? Or until someone hits the party and it dissolves?
Old 11-16-07, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by elengineer
I have suspected as much with certain things.

Would you happen to have a source that lists the bugs?
The source is technically gfaqs (Message Board) but I can tell you some:

Spoiler:
I don't know if you have versed the dragon's yet, but their skill that attacks everyone (Their elemental attack) has two effects, one major damage, and two, an instant kill effect. With the anti-skills at Lvl 5 they block all elemental damage, at level 10 they absorb it and heal your party, problem is it doesn't absorb the instant kill effect.

There is also the bug with the pearl quest, how it will never leave your bag, you'll still get the reward, just you loose a space of your bag.

They are the only ones that I know of from the top of my head.

the Defender skill.... when used how long does it last? Just for that round? The whole battle? Or until someone hits the party and it dissolves?
It lasts for 5 turns, although immunize is a lot better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.