Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Etrian Odyssey Thread (DS)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One and Only Etrian Odyssey Thread (DS)

Old 10-03-07, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@elengineer:
I have exactly the same setup as you do, but they're only around level 18-19 right now.

@pixy:
When's the ETA? Maybe I'll be done with EO1 by then... hopefully.
Old 10-03-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EO has a password feature to transfer characters to the sequel.
Old 10-03-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:swoon: That means the ability to hopefully level beyond 70... with new skills...

Now if i could get to the point to unlock a Hexer, i really want to check that class out.
Old 10-03-07, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Etrian Odyssey II: The Royal Grail has been announced!
Woah. I don't know whether to be one of the first to get this or run far, far away. EO is dangerously addictive for me.
Old 10-04-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really looking forward to another retro FM synth soundtrack from Yuzo Koshiro.
Old 10-04-07, 08:46 AM

Yeah, when do you get to unlock the Hexer & Rounin classes?
Old 10-04-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They unlock as you play, you can't miss them.. just keep going.
Old 10-04-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:whine: But i want to unlock them now.

Yeah, scoping out a FAQ it appears it is a while before i will unlock either class and it appears Ronin unlock first.

Maybe then i will have a need to buy that Wakazashi i have in the shop.

I do wish i could open up a new whip though, my Dark Hunter is wearing out the Fanged Whip.
Old 10-04-07, 09:25 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Hmm.. all this talk about the game has me interested. I have to see if I can pick it up.
Old 10-05-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just lost about forty-five minutes and two completed quests.
Old 10-05-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I just lost about forty-five minutes and two completed quests.
What happened?
Old 10-05-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
What happened?
There are these little fuckers in the fifth stratum that put your entire party to sleep and they usually come in pairs. I got ambushed (and my survivalist didn't catch it) and I never recovered from it. I think I screwed up though, after the initial beating I just tried to escape the battle and had I done a round of multi-shot I would've came out alive.
Old 10-05-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hrm, i have yet to play a survivalist.

I may have to consider a S build when i near that level. I'm still starting though, with a party now on the cusp of leveling to 18. Still on the 3rd floor with the Scythers everywhere.
Old 10-05-07, 08:19 PM

There are these little fuckers in the fifth stratum that put your entire party to sleep and they usually come in pairs. I got ambushed (and my survivalist didn't catch it) and I never recovered from it. I think I screwed up though, after the initial beating I just tried to escape the battle and had I done a round of multi-shot I would've came out alive.
Well, if it is any consolation, I appreciate the warning since I am not that far behind you, floor-wise. I am still doing some leveling (Hexer). That 20th floor is awesome for that. I am also considering creating & leveling a ronin and survivalist. I thought the little dudes around the 18th floor were annoying with their petrification tricks...

For anyone who has one, any comments about the survivalist?
Old 10-09-07, 09:26 PM

The journey continues

Ok, I have been leveling up a Hexer.

The Hexer is seriously vulnerable to physical attack. Mine is level 42 right now and still can't take a decent shot from a major enemy. This, despite the best armor & items I can buy for him.

Now, on the other side, there is a bit of perverse pleasure in cursing enemies & watching them suffer half the damage they inflict upon you. Further, it is also kind of cool to give an enemy the "evil eye" and then either cause the enemy to attack the other enemies, or, alternatively, to just keep attacking itself and commit suicide.

Neat stuff...but at quite a TP cost (perversely, the 'betrayal' curse keeps costing less the more I boost it), and for a physically weak character.
Old 10-10-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doh, and I seen it in the mall two days after I thought I was ordering from Amazon direct! Hopefully its still there next week! Back to looking for EO1.

Greetings from Amazon.com,

We're sorry, but the following order from Hubbagames has been canceled.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Old 10-14-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know where to pick this up online that's not Used or off of eBay?

Amazon is out-of-stock, EBgames doesn't even list it, neither does BestBuy.com, etc.

I found it at PlayIC.com and ordered it for $28.99 shipped, but then I was greeted with an email that apologized that there was a glitch in the system and that they actually do not carry it.

What's the deal? Didn't this just come out last May? And already out-of-print?
Old 10-15-07, 10:50 PM

I just bought two copies of the game accidently recently. I bought one copy from a site last week. I ended up seeing another copy at my local Gamecrazy so I bought that. I was leery of the site I bought it from, which was my reasoning behind buying the 2nd copy. I was going to cancel my order before it shipped but I was too late. If you to send me some Paypal money when I receive the game, I'd be happy to ship my extra copy to you.

BTW, this game is damned hard! I've almost got through an actual mission. I've mapped out most of the first level but I died at the boss. I wish the game would carry over your EXP when you get a Game Over.
Old 10-15-07, 11:01 PM

Stick with it

Originally Posted by SteveOVig
BTW, this game is damned hard! I've almost got through an actual mission. I've mapped out most of the first level but I died at the boss. I wish the game would carry over your EXP when you get a Game Over.
As has been said elsewhere in this thread, the first couple of floors are the roughest...you have to play the most conservative and have a really good balance of characters in your party. Stick with it and it actually does get much easier. Really. Good luck!

FYI, Pixy alluded to this earlier, but the "story" REALLY starts kicking in once you get past the 20th floor. It is shaping up nicely.

BTW, I made an interesting discovery recently. Lets say that you have a character who has (a) high chop/take/mine score. Even if the character dies, your party is still able to "leverage" the dead character's chop/take/mine skill in order to grab lots o' stuff. No life or revival needed.

If this is out of print, that is too bad. It is a neat game, I hope it was profitable for the developer because it would be good to see more.
Old 10-15-07, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Doh, and I seen it in the mall two days after I thought I was ordering from Amazon direct! Hopefully its still there next week! Back to looking for EO1.

Greetings from Amazon.com,

We're sorry, but the following order from Hubbagames has been canceled.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
I made the same mistake, and got the same cancellation from Hubbagames. That did not make me happy.

OK, so now that I have the game in hand -- is it better to stick with five characters throughout, or do people swap them in and out? I started with Fighter/Paladin/Whip Chick/Cleric/Mage, but swapped the Whip Chick out for a Ranger because I wanted to chop down the trees on level one. Should I be rotating my Whip Chick and my (as yet unused) Bard through the party, or should I just stick with the five I like best?
Old 10-15-07, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by darqleo
Anyone know where to pick this up online that's not Used or off of eBay?
Looks like it's in stock at a few sites:

http://www.thisthatandeverything.com...LUS&click=4492
http://www.games-stock.com/catalog/e...ey-p-1078.html

This is just from searching on froogle -- I've never ordered from either of those sites, and can't vouch for them. Buyer beware and all that good stuff.
Old 10-16-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteveOVig
I just bought two copies of the game accidently recently. I bought one copy from a site last week. I ended up seeing another copy at my local Gamecrazy so I bought that. I was leery of the site I bought it from, which was my reasoning behind buying the 2nd copy. I was going to cancel my order before it shipped but I was too late. If you to send me some Paypal money when I receive the game, I'd be happy to ship my extra copy to you.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the offer, but I managed to snag one used off of eBay for $23 shipped.
Old 10-17-07, 07:46 AM

party rotation

Originally Posted by JasonF
OK, so now that I have the game in hand -- is it better to stick with five characters throughout, or do people swap them in and out? I started with Fighter/Paladin/Whip Chick/Cleric/Mage, but swapped the Whip Chick out for a Ranger because I wanted to chop down the trees on level one. Should I be rotating my Whip Chick and my (as yet unused) Bard through the party, or should I just stick with the five I like best?
It is an interesting idea to rotate your character through. I would be really interested to know how that works out as a strategy.

My tactic was to get & stick with a core group of 5, at least until I got them up to really high level (i.e. so they could adequately fight and protect a newbie character), then I have started to bring in (only one in the party at a given time) & build up new characters to see how the other characters play out.

I have also had some measure of success making a "throwaway" Survivalist who has skill points in nothing except Mine, Take, and Chop. If I need $$, or to gather some item for a quest, I rotate him into the party line up, go take care of business, come back, and rotate him out.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
When can I start skipping past floors? I am at the fifth floor, and just got beat by Fenrir. Actually, I killed him, but got killed by the 3 wolves who came over to assist him. It's annoying to use my warp wire to sell all my items because I am stocked up, then have to walk through 4 levels of weak characters to go and level up my characters on the fifth floor before fighting him again. Plus, I get all lesser items which I could discard, but I never feel like it. I'm assuming after you beat Fenrir the Geomagnetic field opens which let's you jump to perhaps the floor after him?
Old 10-21-07, 09:03 PM

spainlinx0-
You go it right. Defeat the Fenrir, get to the second stratum, and open up the Geomagnetic Field.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.