Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iD's Rage= "Mad Max Thunderdome" pc,360,ps3

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: iD's Rage= "Mad Max Thunderdome" pc,360,ps3

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Anyone playing this on PC? I've been interested in this game for a while, but I've been reading about lots of glitches in the PC version, and a general feeling that the graphics aren't all they were cracked up to be. Thoughts?
Things should be pretty solid if you have an AMD Radeon graphics board with their latest Rage hotfix driver. It runs amazingly well on 5850's and above, but its still decent with lower end graphics chips. There are some tweaks you can do to make the game look better as well (you'll have to do some searching).
Old 10-04-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm about 2 hours in. It's kind of meh for me so far. Seems like its all stuff I've seen or done before. I will say the graphics are top notch but nothing else has been that entertaining. The auto saves are so far apart I find myself pausing and saving often and taking myself out of the game. I don't know, maybe after playing Deus and Gears and liking them so much I've become a little jaded.
Old 10-04-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is pretty cool.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7g6UulkUboI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-11, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wolfenstein 3D easter egg:

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:721761" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>

Get More: GameTrailers.com, RAGE - Secret Wolfenstien 3D Room Gameplay HD, PC Games, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Old 10-05-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I'm about 2 hours in. It's kind of meh for me so far. Seems like its all stuff I've seen or done before. I will say the graphics are top notch but nothing else has been that entertaining. The auto saves are so far apart I find myself pausing and saving often and taking myself out of the game. I don't know, maybe after playing Deus and Gears and liking them so much I've become a little jaded.
I agree, so far I dont like it as much as I thought I would. It still very much feels like Fallout, with everyone needing a favor for everything you need, going back and forth, etc.
Old 10-05-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 309 Posts

I'll agree also. Nothing special. I disagree regarding the graphics. Graphics (at least on the 360) aren't anything special. It looks bland like Fallout (I guess the wasteland always looks the same, eh?) and there's no real strategy yet for fighting. Enemy comes running, you shoot, he dies. I think I miss V.A.T.S

It was cool hearing John Goodman voice a character, though.

I don't think this feels like Fallout at all. Fallout was fun....this isn't. I only passed the first hideout, but unless this gets better, I am trading it in.

Oh and I never played Quake, or any of those games, so maybe that's why this doesn't appeal to me. Someone tells me this gets better.
Old 10-05-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,318 Posts

I'm not sure how I feel about the game yet. It does seem like a bunch of (mostly able bodied) folks who for some reason keep hitting me up to do favors for them. But I'm really impressed with the graphics. Yeah, the colors are dingy and bland, but these are some of the best character models I've ever seen. They are people who look and talk like actual people. I like how their bodies react to being hit with bullets, too (though direct head shots don't stop then in their tacks the way they should). I can't imagine not getting $40 of value out of this game, but I guess that remains to be seen.
I haven't tried the multiplayer game yet -- has anyone here?
Old 10-05-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'll agree also. Nothing special. I disagree regarding the graphics. Graphics (at least on the 360) aren't anything special. It looks bland like Fallout (I guess the wasteland always looks the same, eh?) and there's no real strategy yet for fighting. Enemy comes running, you shoot, he dies. I think I miss V.A.T.S

It was cool hearing John Goodman voice a character, though.

I don't think this feels like Fallout at all. Fallout was fun....this isn't. I only passed the first hideout, but unless this gets better, I am trading it in.

Oh and I never played Quake, or any of those games, so maybe that's why this doesn't appeal to me. Someone tells me this gets better.
I completely agree with this. I've officially dubbed this game Call of Duty: Mad Max and put it aside in favor of Dark Souls.
Old 10-05-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think this feels like Fallout at all. Fallout was fun....this isn't. .
Fallout New Vegas wasn't fun. I bet no matter how Rage end up playing for me, should be in my mailbox soon, it has to be way better than New Vegas. Vegas felt like an attempt to cash in on the Fallout 3 hype.

I should add that I loved Fallout 3 and next to Oblivion it was the game I've spent the most time playing. However when you recycle so many objects and assets from Fallout 3 and put them in New Vegas I'm not going to automatically love that game.
Old 10-05-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New Vegas was great, and I put over 100 hours into it. This game is ready to be traded in after 30 minutes.
Old 10-05-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

This game is ready to be traded in after 30 minutes.
While I put almost 100 hours into Fallout 3, I can apply the quote above towards New Vegas.
Old 10-05-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved New Vegas and actually put more time into it than Fallout 3 when all was said and done. Easily the best game of the past year in my opinion.

Back on topic, I played a few multiplayer races. They were fun, but there isn't a whole lot of variety in the maps or objectives, and it'll get old quick.
Old 10-05-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So as far as I can tell the only map in the game is the little circle in the upper right corner? I find it kind of strange that I can't really tell where I'm at except for the little tracker telling me where to go for missions.
I picked up some stuff to sell however it isn't letting me sell it in the second city so I thought I would go back to the first city and try there except not sure where it's at. Am I missing something?
Old 10-05-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Game got a bit more fun in the second mission. Still the same old stuff, though. Go here. Go there. Go here again. Get item. Take it back here, now take it there.
Old 10-06-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Fallout New Vegas wasn't fun. I bet no matter how Rage end up playing for me, should be in my mailbox soon, it has to be way better than New Vegas. Vegas felt like an attempt to cash in on the Fallout 3 hype.

I should add that I loved Fallout 3 and next to Oblivion it was the game I've spent the most time playing. However when you recycle so many objects and assets from Fallout 3 and put them in New Vegas I'm not going to automatically love that game.
Vegas really ended up boring me a lot. The missions were long and tedious. Go talk to this person across town, then go to the other side of town, then back. Freeside really bogged me down.
Old 10-06-11, 04:08 PM

So which game is the bigger letdown of the year? Dragon Age 2 or Rage? I'm still in shock that Rage is so meh. This was not the game promised in the hype media that won E3 best in show.
Old 10-06-11, 05:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't understand the comparisons between this and Fallout. In Fallout, you emerge from the Vault. In Rage, you emerge from the Ark. Totally different!
Old 10-06-11, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
So which game is the bigger letdown of the year? Dragon Age 2 or Rage? I'm still in shock that Rage is so meh. This was not the game promised in the hype media that won E3 best in show.
It's id, the grandfather of the FPS genre. They always get a lot of well-deserved hype because they have never made a bad game. The only people that are disappointed with Rage are the people who were stupidly thinking it was going to be some grand epic like Fallout. Like flashburn said a couple pages ago, it will be amusing to see all the people buy it thinking they are getting something like Borderlands or Fallout and then realize it is nothing like that. It's freaking id, man. Expect a game like Doom or Quake or else you will be massively disappointed. That's not to say it is a bad game, because it isn't. Doom and Quake are great games, but they are nothing like Borderlands or Fallout.
Old 10-06-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's actually pretty damn impressive, depth and scope wise, compared to previous ID games. Hell, you have an inventory! And multiple missions at the same time!
Old 10-06-11, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashburn
It's actually pretty damn impressive, depth and scope wise, compared to previous ID games. Hell, you have an inventory! And multiple missions at the same time!

Yeah, Fallout and Borderlands are 50% FPS and 50% RPG, and people are disappointed because they wanted the same thing with Rage. However, Rage is like 99% FPS and 1% RPG. That is still impressive though considering Rage is 1% more RPG than Doom or Quake were.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 10-06-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, Fallout and Borderlands are 50% FPS and 50% RPG, and people are disappointed because they wanted the same thing with Rage. However, Rage is like 99% FPS and 1% RPG. That is still impressive though considering Rage is 1% more RPG than Doom or Quake were.
I'm not disappointed because I wanted the same thing with Rage. I'm disappointed because I thought I might get something different than what's done before. Doom was groundbreaking for its day and Quake was in its own right too. I'm 39 so I was around for all of the Dooms, Quakes, and Duke Nukem FPSs.
I'm 6 hours in to Rage and honestly, I'm kinda bored. I went back to Gears today and started a new campaign runthrough on hardcore because its just fun. For the record, I didn't really care for Fallout but loved Borderlands. IMO, Rage is just missing something that makes it stand out, much like Duke Forever did, only to much lower review scores.
Old 10-06-11, 10:12 PM
Banned

Different strokes for different folks.

I am 32, and also grew up playing Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake. I am still enjoying Rage. On the other hand, Gears of War bored me...
Old 10-06-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the mini-games, they are fun. But all the
Spoiler:
Stanley Express missions
can kiss my ass.

I am 4 hours in, enjoying it more, but still something I will get rid of by the time Arkham City comes out.
Old 10-06-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't understand the comparisons between this and Fallout. In Fallout, you emerge from the Vault. In Rage, you emerge from the Ark. Totally different!
lol! I needed a good laugh before I got off here. I am enjoying the game but it is pretty much a linear experience.
Old 10-07-11, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Barth
I'm not disappointed because I wanted the same thing with Rage. I'm disappointed because I thought I might get something different than what's done before. Doom was groundbreaking for its day and Quake was in its own right too. I'm 39 so I was around for all of the Dooms, Quakes, and Duke Nukem FPSs.
I'm 6 hours in to Rage and honestly, I'm kinda bored. I went back to Gears today and started a new campaign runthrough on hardcore because its just fun. For the record, I didn't really care for Fallout but loved Borderlands. IMO, Rage is just missing something that makes it stand out, much like Duke Forever did, only to much lower review scores.
Sounds like a very dull world completely opposite what I was anticipating. I also hear that the sidequests are pretty much pointless and the ending is really bad and abrupt. I thought this game was going to be epic and very long. I feel like I was lied to in the pre-release media. If Skyrim ends up sucking too, gamers should revolt. haha

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.