Old 10-04-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: iD's Rage= "Mad Max Thunderdome" pc,360,ps3

And Borderlands isn't very much an FPS?
Old 10-04-11, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Again, when all you have is high-level information, all of which match an existing IP, it's not a huge stretch to compare that game to the existing IP.
Old 10-04-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Again, when all you have is high-level information, all of which match an existing IP, it's not a huge stretch to compare that game to the existing IP.
Existing IP from a separate company? ID is very much independent from the rest of Bethesda. They've also been working on this game for many years before being acquired by Bethesda.

If people paid more attention to the previews, I think they would of realized how light of an RPG this really is. No leveling, no real loot, no open world gameplay shown (except for with vehicles). They might of been a little misleading, but it's still because people (including journalists) were desperately trying to turn this into an RPG when it never was.
Old 10-04-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how it can only be a 10-12 hour campaign. It requires 8GB of hard drive space (PS3). Installing it now and its taking FOREVER. Oh and there was 64MB patch already too. Maybe it's more like Fallout where it's easy to get through it very quickly, but you end up missing the majority of the game with all the extra side quests.
Old 10-04-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Size in megabytes doesn't determine game length.
Old 10-04-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
I don't know how it can only be a 10-12 hour campaign. It requires 8GB of hard drive space (PS3). Installing it now and its taking FOREVER. Oh and there was 64MB patch already too. Maybe it's more like Fallout where it's easy to get through it very quickly, but you end up missing the majority of the game with all the extra side quests.
Size of the game doesn't equal a bigger, longer game. A lot of it is textures for graphics.

And yeah, I agree with those wondering why anyone automatically would compare this to Borderlands too. It's iD software, man. Yeah they're doing something a little different, but I can't really imagine a huge departure from the father of the FPS.
Old 10-04-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
What the hell, I thought this was supposed to be Fallout 3 type length
Eh, I'm happy I only spent $43 for a new copy on release day.
Joystiq pretty much trashed the game claiming it was 8-9 hours max including sidequests. 25 gig install for this???
Old 10-04-11, 10:43 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait my copy is coming today from Amazon and just got my $10 credit which I used on Battlefield. I really don't care what the reviewers say, I just watched the Giantbomb quicklook and it looks fantastic.
Old 10-04-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kind of regret pre-ordering this after seeing some of the reviews and learning that it's not as RPG-ish as early word led me to believe. Especially since I'll be busy for a while with Dark Souls.

That said, this looks like it'll be popular enough to hold its resale value for the week or so needed to complete it and pawn it off.
Old 10-04-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I kind of regret pre-ordering this after seeing some of the reviews and learning that it's not as RPG-ish as early word led me to believe.
Weird, the game actually turned out to be more RPG-ish than I was initially led to believe.
Old 10-04-11, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

Matching IPs across different companies is dumb. That would be like hearing Nintendo is making a game featuring an Italian and thinking they are making an Assassin's Creed game. Instead you should look at the past history of the company developing the game and then you would see that Nintendo is making Mario.

Likewise, you shouldn't match the Borderlands IP to something that is not developed by Gearbox. Look at ID Software's past history with Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake and that will give you a far more accurate picture of what Rage will be like.

Originally Posted by flashburn
Size in megabytes doesn't determine game length.
Yeah, if size in megabytes determined game length then all those NES and SNES games most have lasted no more than five minutes.

File size is determined mostly by graphics. Textures and such take up a huge amount of space. Also voice acting takes up a lot of space. That's the only reason MGS1 was two discs on the PS1 is because of all the voice acting.
Old 10-04-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

After reading more on this, I am kind of on the fence now
Old 10-04-11, 12:22 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is killing me that I can't get this game right now. I am a big ID Software fan. Damn being a husband and father with financial priorities I will have to wait until Christmas for this one.
Old 10-04-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

My copy arrived this morning from New Egg. That's impressive shipping speed since it was only sent yesterday at their standard free shipping speed.
Can't wait to install and then try some tonight!
Old 10-04-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah, Amazon's "Release Day" shipping always impresses me like that as well.

Last time though UPS fucked up with my Gears 3.. I placed the order mid-day on Monday, UPS guy left a note on my door on Tuesday saying he'd re-deliver tomorrow (first time ever, every other time they've dropped it off at my apartment's leasing office), I vented to Amazon slightly (asking them to dump UPS, yeah immature I know) and they graciously apologized (for no reason really) and gave me my $0.99 back (which I didn't ask for).
Old 10-04-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, Amazon's "Release Day" shipping always impresses me like that as well.
Yeah, but this wasn't Release Day Shipping from New Egg, just Guaranteed 3 Day shipping. I was just hoping to get it by Friday.
Old 10-04-11, 01:47 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Is this an FPS dungeon crawler or is it more of a set-course like COD, Gears, etc?
Old 10-04-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been playing this for a good 4 hours already. This has to be WAY longer than 10-12. I feel like I'm still in the beginning. Early impressions... this game absolutely KICKS ASS. The tech5 engine is amazing. Animation is super smooth and the graphics and detail are incredible. Even better than any of the pre-release videos I've seen for it. It is very much a cross between borderlands and fallout as far as side quests and mini-games and exploring stuff that isn't necessarily quest related. Also it's more about weapon/ammo and vehicle mods than character building. Don't be turned by some stupid magazine review. This game is very, VERY impressive so far.
Old 10-04-11, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Is this an FPS dungeon crawler or is it more of a set-course like COD, Gears, etc?
Borderlands clone.
Old 10-04-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's a dungeon crawler RPG like Oblivion. Heck, no wait...it's like Final Fantasy 1 except you add fancy graphics and change everything into first person perspective with different monsters and guns....yeah add Big GUNS! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Originally Posted by 19K
Been playing this for a good 4 hours already. This has to be WAY longer than 10-12. I feel like I'm still in the beginning. Early impressions... this game absolutely KICKS ASS. The tech5 engine is amazing. Animation is super smooth and the graphics and detail are incredible. Even better than any of the pre-release videos I've seen for it. It is very much a cross between borderlands and fallout as far as side quests and mini-games and exploring stuff that isn't necessarily quest related. Also it's more about weapon/ammo and vehicle mods than character building. Don't be turned by some stupid magazine review. This game is very, VERY impressive so far.
Thank you 19k...I really might break tradition and buy this within the next month. Everytime I see a commercial or hear something else about the game I get excited. And to be honest, I'm not very good at most FPS games...but I think I would still have a blast with this one.
Old 10-04-11, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Agreed. I loved 30+ hour games when I was a kid and had a lot of free time, but nowadays I appreciate shorter games. Anyway, most long games artificially lengthen the game with grinding fluff material and wouldn't be nearly as long without the fluff.
Tell me about it, when i was a kid I put 90 hours into FFX and filled up every single characters sphere grid, I also put circa 280-300 days into WoW, cant really remember the exact amount. Now, i get bored or feel as if something is just dragging on if its over 12 hours in length. For instance, I though GoW3's length was perfect, as well as Dead Islands (completing only 50% of the side quests). Whenever it takes me longer than a week to beat a game playing for 2 hours a day I tend to end up getting completely bored of the game and always end up putting it down 20 minutes after i turn on my xbox at that point. I then proceed to go to a bar and get wasted.
Old 10-04-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

When you were a kid? Didn't that game come out in 2004? How old are you? 16?

Old 10-04-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I like 12-20 hours, occasionally I'll go more (Fallout 3 and New Vegas took me ~70 and ~40 so far, an Borderlands was probably 40 or 50), but games I enjoy for that long are few and far between. I can't put 100 hours into a game any more like I did Final Fantasy Tactics.
Also a (single player) game has to let me save often, ideally anywhere (except of course during boss battles, for example.
I'd be happy with a good 15-20 hours that were fun.
This is on my list, I'm glad to hear relatively positive things, but I just don't need a new game right now.
Old 10-04-11, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
When you were a kid? Didn't that game come out in 2004? How old are you? 16?
My guess is that he's 822 years old.
Old 10-04-11, 05:45 PM

Anyone playing this on PC? I've been interested in this game for a while, but I've been reading about lots of glitches in the PC version, and a general feeling that the graphics aren't all they were cracked up to be. Thoughts?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.