Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iD's Rage= "Mad Max Thunderdome" pc,360,ps3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: iD's Rage= "Mad Max Thunderdome" pc,360,ps3

Originally Posted by edstein
This trend of using facebook to promote shit needs to end.
Agreed - but if it gets people a free game, then BFD.
Old 08-13-11, 07:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I ain't "liking" shit until they put out an Android version.
Old 08-13-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I read that this game will have a little over 20gig install on the 360. They said it is 3 discs and that they could not figure out a way to go about running the games off the discs so they had to go the install route.
Old 08-14-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

If you haven't visited the offical site I suggest you do so especially since it's been major updated. The main video they have going on now is really awesome showing various in game footage to the making of it and actual voice takes. One of the best videos out there showing what goes on behind the scenes. I'm really glad see Carmack back in the forefront again. The guy is a legend and this team he has now looks to be as good as any.

http://www.rage.com/

As to the three discs and 22gig needed to install...which is not mandatory...everyone really needs to understand tha wih more complex visuals, textures and even sound more space is required. And the standard DVD format the 360 uses is already being maxed out. The two and three disc games maybe something we'll see for awhile. Already Mass Effect 3 is said to have it or else cutting back. And the not long ago update that MS put out had to do with re-allocating some portions of the memory to help out. I'll take two and three discs over cutting back anyday.

Last edited by K&AJones; 08-14-11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This trend of using facebook to promote shit needs to end.
Originally Posted by Groucho
I ain't "liking" shit until they put out an Android version.
I'd love an Android version.

And I don't see why Facebook promotions should end. Given the number of people on there, why wouldn't they use it to advertise? Not like it hurts anyone that pretends they're "too cool" for Facebook anyway
Old 08-15-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't know how I feel about this. I think I'm still going to pass and see if there is a GOTY or version with all the DLC sometime down the road. There is so much coming out this fall and early next year and this is well down my list.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Tim Willits, the id Software creative director, said that access to the game's underground will be restricted to those who get their copy new at retail. "You've played Rage five times. Have you found any sewer hatches?" Willits asked his interviewer. "If you bought the game new, that would be open for you. "

He added:

You still have to download it, but you don't have to pay for it. Those hatches are all over. Most people never find them. But as soon as you do, you're like, oh. And then you start to look for it. That's our first-time buyer incentive.
http://kotaku.com/5830553/youre-gonn...hrough-a-sewer
Old 08-15-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They say it isn't, of course, but to me it feels like one step closer to cutting out actual content for those who buy or receive the game second-hand. This is a bad, bad trend and I don't see it going anywhere positive for consumers.

Then again, being able to skip sewer levels seems like more of a bonus than a restriction to me.
Old 08-15-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can understand their point on the concept of rewarding original buyers versus buying used. it's a double-edge business sword in a way. Loyal foloowers and original buyers get treated one way while second hand ones get a slight snub.

But if one looked at what it really takes to do a game from the time, man-hours, money, the sheer amount of people involve I see their point. They're not getting nothing in the used area except when someone wants more DLC. It's no different when you get signed up say BB Reward Zone or Gamestop...it's a reward base incentive.
Old 08-15-11, 01:43 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the online pass like trend...I will say that I agree more with what they are doing with Rage than when they take out any online part....

I think developers are really narrow minded when it comes to the used and rental market though...

The developer does not receive a cut of used games...and their cut on rental games is much lower since that cut is spread out among multiple people...if they could push a button they would end used/rental games on the spot...

I say they will lose in the end.

I bought Gears 2 new. Of the three other friends that bought it, 2 bought it used and 1 bought it new. All 4 of us have Gears 3 on preorder. That is 3 more copies than they would of had if there was no used game market. In fact, Gears 3 is on pace to sell a lot more than 1 or 2.

There is a reason each Harry Potter book sold more than the one before it. There is a reason Grand Theft Auto set sales records as the series moved along. If a game is the last you ever plan to make. If you have NO plans to ever come out with a game ever again, I understand never wanting a used copy to sell. On the other hand, look at the monster Call of Duty has become. If it says 20 million of the last version was sold, I say over 30 million have actually played it. I also say the next version will do better because of the used market than it would have without it.

Borderlands sold a lot of copies. I would argue that many of those copies were used...but many more were bought new because someone with a used copy talked a friend into getting it.

There is also this belief that the madden games were slowing down the last few years..here is something to look at...

Just 360 copies..

Madden 06---600K (still strong xbox sales)
Madden 07---1.8 million
Madden 08---2.35 million
Madden 09-2.45 million
Madden 10-2.75 million

and then they introduced the Madden online pass..

Madden 11-2.4 million

Now they would have you believe that sells were falling every year, so it forced them to do the pass...that somehow the used market was eating up their sales...This is not true...even with the drop of the ps2 sales, they were gaining every year from 2006...They introduced the pass and then sales DID drop...on ALL systems I might add.

Also they week one sales were amazing on Madden 2011...highest ever. It did work in getting more people to pick it up new week one. They even bragged about it. The problem???? I always have said that a healthy used market also helps grow the new market. When people are talking about your game...at school....at work...even if your copy is used, it helps sell new copies...
Old 08-15-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

My initial reaction to moves like these, is different than things like pre-order exclusives. It doesn't affect the gameplay much if you have a special red hood v a green one. However, when you take away a chunk of the game that you spent time and money to develop. If anything it leaves a bitter taste to me. You're essentially forcing people to buy it now or they get proverbially screwed over should they buy it down the line.

I wonder if id feels compelled to this since they spend so much more time developing games than their competitors.

foxdvd, like you said, the used market can really expand the future customer base. I wonder if people buying used would be happy with if they're able to buy the segments later as DLC. I would think id would feel compelled to release this as DLC at some point anyway. As I said, they spent money developing it. If you only have 20% of your total sales up front you get the content (I pulled that number out of thin air), then you'd be leaving 80% of the market on the table by not offering it up.

That said, I think it says something more fundamentally about not releasing your full, best product up front.
Old 08-15-11, 03:05 PM

As I read it, you still get it if you buy it down the line. You just don't get it if you buy it used.

This is a lot less distasteful to me than retailer-exclusive pre-order content.
Old 08-15-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If used games weren't there, people could just wait for official price drops and other sales to get the game cheaper
Old 08-15-11, 03:45 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If used games weren't there, people could just wait for official price drops and other sales to get the game cheaper

except...

A: with zero used games...companies would be slower to drop price, as the used game market helps keep prices lower and lower new prices quicker..

B: we are filled with the "I want it now" attitude...especially kids. A game draws a lot of attention early on, but a year later, even with a price drop, many games get little notice...
Old 08-15-11, 04:02 PM

Steam has zero used games. How are the sales via that distribution platform?
Old 08-15-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by foxdvd
except...

A: with zero used games...companies would be slower to drop price, as the used game market helps keep prices lower and lower new prices quicker..

B: we are filled with the "I want it now" attitude...especially kids. A game draws a lot of attention early on, but a year later, even with a price drop, many games get little notice...
I disagree with A; I don't believe used games matter that much in to official price drops. Publishers see all the sales data anyway and when sales begin to dip and how well promotions boost sales, so I believe the price drops would come in time regardless if that used market didn't exist.

The "I want it now" attitude would just translate to more people buying the game at full retail, which is what the publishers want. I think the market would adapt to the change or grow accustomed to waiting, and word of mouth would still carry the very good games.

I'm biased though in support of the game developers here, so i'm in support of them trying to re-coup more development costs.
Old 08-15-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the case of Borderlands...which was a heck of a sleeper hit...a lot bought new and used but later on after the game came out and the reviews came pouring in. And Gearbox did the right thing by just loading up on DLC for everyone. DLC is what keeps the game alive for both the gamer and the DEVS. It's like buying a car and then going back to the dealership and getting an upgrade.

But some like myself will pick up a game "new" later on like I did with Batman:A.A and Splinter Cell; Conviction...both of which I just finished. Sometimes there's no time or money at release. If someone wants to wait a year and grab Rage new fine and I'm sure ID will agree.
Old 08-15-11, 05:30 PM
gamer for life

I disagree with A; I don't believe used games matter that much in to official price drops. Publishers see all the sales data anyway and when sales begin to dip and how well promotions boost sales, so I believe the price drops would come in time regardless if that used market didn't exist.

I just don't see that...in all areas of business competition lowers prices...both starting and ending...and used games are competition with developers...

The "I want it now" attitude would just translate to more people buying the game at full retail, which is what the publishers want. I think the market would adapt to the change or grow accustomed to waiting, and word of mouth would still carry the very good games.
the problem with that is I can buy many used games the day after they come out..within a week gamestop is pounded with them...well within the "new" part of a game...and that first month when people talk about that game at work and school...
Old 08-16-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GFE66chCZuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Video available now on 360 Marketplace.
Old 08-17-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The look of this game is getting better each new video. After I went to the offical site and checked more into the game I can see where there could be several possibilities for future DLC and addons. It looks more of an extreme darker version of Borderlands. The visuals are just unreal. Sept to Nov is just going to be insane and this fits in between Gears 3 (Sept 20) and Battlefield 3 (Oct 25). Though choice here...
Old 08-17-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With 3 disks worth of content, why are you worrying about DLC at this point?
Old 08-17-11, 01:15 PM

First DLC better have zombies. And second DLC better have a useless arena mode that doesn't even level up my toon.
Old 08-17-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I have no problem with the 'new purchasers get bonus content' as long as not having that content doesn't cripple the game or give new purchasers a big advantage in multiplayer (not that I really care about multiplayer). I'll have to watch the hatch video to see what they actually do.
First DLC free like Alan Wake, or bonus game like Alice and Gunstringer, or expansion DLC like Dragon Age, I'm fine with those methods.

Give me a good reason to want to buy the game new, rather than trying to punish me for buying it used.

Of course the market is pretty aggressive now anyway, if you wait 1-2 months you can buy many brand new games for 20-50% off.

I've never understood what the difference is between new/used video games and new/used cars, or CDs, or DVDs, or books, etc. and why video game devs get so many people decrying used games and authors, musicians, etc, don't.

I don't care about multiple disks either, as long as they are shipped securely. How often do you have to change disks? The last multidisk game I played, FFXIII, I changed disks twice, about every 10-12 hours. I think i can deal with that.

That said, Rage is looking better every day.
Old 08-17-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With 3 disks worth of content, why are you worrying about DLC at this point?

I'm not really worried about anything Carmack does or will do. I'm just stating based on the game itself there's a lot of possibilities of future DLC... be it maps, skins, weapons, vehicles or even a new clan involved. Plus the fact he's already mentioned ideas for "2".
Old 08-17-11, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Speaking of the iOS version, like the FB page (https://www.facebook.com/rage) and when they hit 100k, it'll be free for a week.
They hit 100k, free for a week:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/rage-hd/id400707675?mt=8
Old 08-18-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really don't like the iPhone game at all. The graphics are very impressive, but the controls are insanely frustrating. I don't mind that the game is an on-rail shooter, but the camera also has pre-set movement. It makes it really difficult using your finger to pull the camera around and aim because it conflicts with the programmed movements so easily. It feels like tug-of-war. The camera does move strategically over bullseyes and health and ammo packs, but its boring if all you're doing is timing the shots.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.