Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s - PS2 - July 24th

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got it today and almost got through 4 levels. Is it just me, or is this easier than the other ones? I'm only playing on medium though (I'm not that good, but I'm drunk and I got 5 stars on 9/12 songs so far and almost hit two perfects).

Also, as much as I hate Flock of Seagulls or the Police, those songs were pretty fun to play!
Old 07-25-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I haven't picked up GH in close to 3 months, but I got the game today and took it home. My wife and I co-oped through the first 8 songs, and then I went back and did just the first tier. The difficulty wasn't too bad (I got a sightread FC on We Got the Beat) but some of the solo sections were relatively challenging. Can't wait until I get to the final tier (which will probably have to wait until this weekend).
Old 07-25-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made it to the last tier last night. I've finished them all, except Electric Eye and Play With Me. The rest of the tier wasn't as hard as I thought they would be. I had to play through She's Only Seventeen a couple times. Caught In A Mosh was a lot easier than I thought. Electric Eye, on the other hand, I've only got to about halfway. I've played everything on expert. I've only 5 starred only a few songs, but I think once I get use to playing on the PS2 again, I can go back and 5 star a bunch more. My timing just seems to be off right now.
Old 07-25-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really want this just to play Police Truck if nothing else, but can't see paying $50 at this point. Sounds cool so its on my wish list for later. Hopefully the next B2G1 free used sale at Gamestop.

Might have gone for the Best Buy deal, but it looks like the free gift card is over.

Last edited by darkside; 07-25-07 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only guy to ever FC Misirlou has already done the same thing with Play With Me within 7 hours of buying the game. Completely insane.
Old 07-25-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

have you seen the article in the new Game Informer about the guitar hero player?

apparently they are doing an on-going peice where they interview people in the top 10 worldwide.

apparently he has the top career score in GH2. He said he used to play 7 hours a day :/
Old 07-25-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a link to the GI article? I'm guessing that's either ES492 (who most regard as the best player) or wuLFe (who has the #1 XBOX career score).

Seven hours a day seems crazy for a video game, but about right for someone who wants to be a world class shredder. Still I guess I shouldn't judge. If I was unemployed and not married I might be doing the same thing
Old 07-25-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred

The only guy to ever FC Misirlou has already done the same thing with Play With Me within 7 hours of buying the game. Completely insane.
What does FC mean? Is it a perfect playthrough?
Old 07-25-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
What does FC mean? Is it a perfect playthrough?
FC is Full Combo which means hitting 100% of the notes but also your note streak is the total # of notes in the song (i.e. no double strums).
Old 07-25-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FC is Full Combo which means hitting 100% of the notes but also your note streak is the total # of notes in the song (i.e. no double strums).
Ah, okay. I'm a decent Guitar Hero player (able to beat all the songs on Hard but not 5 star them) so I'm not up on all the expert lingo.
Old 07-25-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there a link to the GI article? I'm guessing that's either ES492 (who most regard as the best player) or wuLFe (who has the #1 XBOX career score).

Seven hours a day seems crazy for a video game, but about right for someone who wants to be a world class shredder. Still I guess I shouldn't judge. If I was unemployed and not married I might be doing the same thing
wuLFe is the one mentioned in that article.
Old 07-25-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
wuLFe is the one mentioned in that article.
Ah, he's a pretty cool guy. Very helpful and friendly and a major Opeth fan so we get along
Old 07-25-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats mordred on some ownage. I have only FCd the flock of seagulls song so far.

I only have Los Angeles and Police truck to 5*, but I don't think I'm going to bother. Both kill me with the lag and the major slowdown that this game has at certain parts. Time for ebay already!
Old 07-26-07, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
Prepare to be shut down.

Though I did have a clerk hand me the Guitar+Game version of "Guitar Hero 2" for instore pickup when I had just ordered the Game Only version online.

I said thank you and left
same here!
Old 07-26-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair
Congrats mordred on some ownage. I have only FCd the flock of seagulls song so far.

I only have Los Angeles and Police truck to 5*, but I don't think I'm going to bother. Both kill me with the lag and the major slowdown that this game has at certain parts. Time for ebay already!
Yeah, that would make the game a lot less enjoyable.

I finished the 2nd tier last night (can you tell I'm busy?) and "Because, It's Midnight" is about the most retarded song I can imagine. What an incredibly stupid solo section.
Old 07-26-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that would make the game a lot less enjoyable.

I finished the 2nd tier last night (can you tell I'm busy?) and "Because, It's Midnight" is about the most retarded song I can imagine. What an incredibly stupid solo section.
Yeah, the first time I played that song, I wasn't ready for that solo. I was just cruising along, then I said "oh shit" and failed. I wasn't expecting a solo like that on a tier 2 song. I saved my star power the second time and made it through. The rest of the song was pretty lame.
Old 07-26-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Agreed. The Limozeen song is probably my least favorite in the game. Though most of tier 5 and 6 aren't that great, IMO. Still having a blast though.
Old 07-26-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I crapped my pants the first time i saw the solo too. I made it through but only with 4 stars and 80%. Next run I was more prepared and 5* it with only 90%.
Old 07-27-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I had LASIK yesterday which limited my GH80s playing, but I managed to finally play through all the songs once today. I 5*'d everything but Caught in a Mosh and Play with Me on my sightread. I failed Play with Me twice before barely passing with a 4*. I love that song, easily my favorite of the game, but man is it tough to play. I think my fingers are too old to move that fast
Old 07-30-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I got this this weekend, and I'm kind of disappointed with it. It's like the just did the bare minimum required to get this out as fast as possible. Did I see correctly that there are no unlockable songs?

This should have had a MSRP of $29.99. $50 is robbery IMHO.
Old 07-30-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
It is an overpriced expansion pack, but thats kind of what I expected.

hate most of the songs, but I'm sure some will dig it, bare bones though.

And yeah, no unlockable songs. I keep turning on Air Guitar mode, it makes me chuckle.
Old 07-30-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I got this this weekend, and I'm kind of disappointed with it. It's like the just did the bare minimum required to get this out as fast as possible. Did I see correctly that there are no unlockable songs?

This should have had a MSRP of $29.99. $50 is robbery IMHO.
Yeah, I finally got a chance to play after having it in hand for a week, but being away from my PS2. As expected, the game isn't worth $50. It's every bit an expansion. New outfits, 80's colors in the (carried over) arenas, some new loading screen quips, and the set list are pretty much all that's different. For the same price as GH2, you get fewer songs, characters, arenas, and unlockables, so shame on Activision for that. What makes them smart, though, is that so many of us knew that going in and couldn't wait to fork over the money anyway. Thank goodness for Best Buy's deal to ease some of the pain.

All that said, this is probably my favorite set list of the 3 games. The fun factor is through the roof for me. And it's nice after reading about how everyone is cakewalking through it to actually struggle with a good portion of the later sections (on Hard, no less). I mean, I beat the Hard level quickly, but 5-starring everything won't be easy. The only downside is that the songs that are much more challenging aren't really the fun ones for me (except for Play With Me).

Now if I could just get this work done, I can run off and play some more.
Old 07-30-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I really don't like about this is the songs that "fade out" as you keep playing.
Old 07-30-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
The one thing I really don't like about this is the songs that "fade out" as you keep playing.
Yeah, that kind of adds to the "lazy" feel of things, but I guess since they are master tracks it makes some sense. You can always pretend you're in the Brady Bunch talent show.
Old 07-31-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
That was really distracting for me, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.