Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Devil May Cry 4 coming to PC, 360, and PS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just played the 10min demo and I have to ask...people like these games? Theres a cut scene every 5 seconds showing me a door. The camera is static like the first Resident Evil so Up is down, and left is right sometimes. And all you do is hit "Y" and "B" and listen to him yell "SLAM DUNK!" Seriously, is this the best they can do?
Old 01-24-08, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's DMC. They've all been that way. The fun usually came in playing as Dante and trying out all kinds of crazy moves. I'm sure that aspect will be present in 4. The demo seems to be from a very early point in the game where Nero only has a few attacks. Also, as neat as Nero's demon arm is, he's no Dante.
Old 01-24-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never played any of the others before trying out the demo for DCM4 and i gotta say i'm impressed.
Old 01-24-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't played any DMC games either. Wasn't there supposed to be compilation sets of the first 3 re-released on 360? Or was that just a rumor?
Old 01-24-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a compilation for the PS2.
Old 01-24-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got the Devil May Cry boxset for $30 a few months ago. Fantastic deal! Haven't really gotten very far in the first Devil May Cry yet, but I decided to give this demo a while. Man, I absolutely loved it! DMC4 went to a must buy for me...
Old 01-25-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From all the hype about this demo, I thought it was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. And it wasn't even close.
Old 01-25-08, 07:01 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It sure looks good, but not much of a demo. What is all that talk about how the arm would ONLY be able to be done on the next generation of systems? Was there anything about that demo, other then graphics, that could not be done on a PS2?
Old 01-25-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Yeah, it was fun and looked great, but graphics aside, it was almost exactly like the PS2 games - not a bad thing, but hardly "next-gen", or even current-gen.
Old 01-25-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, it was fun and looked great, but graphics aside, it was almost exactly like the PS2 games - not a bad thing, but hardly "next-gen", or even current-gen.
Sadly, yes, the gameplay is dated. Awesome visuals though.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, but it wasn't a great demo by any means. Thats actually been my problem with a lot of current gen games... they're sequels.
Old 01-25-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I agree with you guys about the looks and gameplay. I'll probably wait to get it used or when the price gets really low.
Old 01-25-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked it. Having only played DMC for PS2 it was a nice update on the graphics. Though the gameplay didn't seem to change much. I don't mind. There aren't any good games out this year so far, I'll pick this up depending on whether or not Soul Calibur 4 hits.
Old 01-28-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for those of you got both X360 and PS3, have you DL both demos? I can't DL the X360 version yet, since i'm silver, not gold...

which version's control you like better? i can't comment on the X360 version, but i like the PS3 version very much. The camera control is pretty crappy though (comparing to Ninja Gaiden demo). I have DMC3 for the PS2, but only played 20 minutes or so, so i can't say i'm an experienced DMC player. However, while playing the 2nd mode (the snowing part), man, i'm impressed, it's like getting a glimpse of God of War 3!
Old 02-06-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
IGN Ratings for Devil May Cry 4 (X360)

8.5 Presentation
While this is more Nero's story than Dante's, this chapter of the DMC franchise maintains just about every facet of the series fans have come to know and love.

9.0 Graphics
Visually arresting and vibrantly depicted, this is one of those games that showcases the power of your system.

9.0 Sound
From sarcasm to apathy, the dialogue is almost perfectly delivered. Mixed with the trademark electrometal soundtrack, this is DMC through and through.

8.5 Gameplay
Dante feels more like an afterthought than a real addition, the Exceed system is a bit weak, and the repetitive level design is particularly dismaying. The longer load times aren't a plus, either.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
Six difficulty levels, survival modes and other extras will keep you playing for a long time.

Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849246p1.html
Old 02-07-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got this game last night played for a few hours since im home sick..got to level/chapter 6 and enjoying it alot more then i expected. felt a lil stiff on the 360 but i just gotta get use to the controller tho.

some of the Platforming parts I have found annoying but nothing too bad yet
Old 03-02-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Just read Todd Douglass Jr's review of Devil May Cry 4 and I have one nitpick that I can't shrug off.

Originally Posted by Todd Douglass Jr.
The fourth time is apparently a charm for Capcom's Devil May Cry series. The original game released in 2001 changed the action genre for the better. It took simplistic gameplay and melded it with stylistic sequences to create a dynamic spin on the action platformer. The sequel followed suit but increased the difficulty to the nth degree which made the title less accessible. Dialing back a bit, Capcom released the third installment some time later but made it a little "too" easy. Fortunately the development team has learned from their mistakes and in the DMC4 experience feels much more balanced.
It's actually the other way around. Devil May Cry 2 was far too easy (you could simply shoot all your enemies from a distance and never worry about using your sword) and many consider Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening far too difficult. In fact, the US release version of the third game was more difficult than the Japanese release (each difficulty was a step higher in the US so what in Japan was "hard" was "normal" in the US and so on). In fact, when Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening SPECIAL EDITION was released in the US, the difficulty was brought down to be easier like the Japanese release.
Old 03-02-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i played the demo on PS3... at 1080p that demon thing looked awesome...

it seemed like a fun ride from the demo...
Old 03-02-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to trying out this game someday, but it will be a while, since I don't buy games new anymore. I'm glad to see good reviews though, really had me worried they would screw up again...

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Just read Todd Douglass Jr's review of Devil May Cry 4 and I have one nitpick that I can't shrug off.
I read that when the review was posted, left me wondering if he had played the games at all, or somehow got confused...DMC 2 still holds the award for "Greatest Gaming Disappointment Of All Time".
Old 03-03-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp

It's actually the other way around. Devil May Cry 2 was far too easy (you could simply shoot all your enemies from a distance and never worry about using your sword) and many consider Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening far too difficult. In fact, the US release version of the third game was more difficult than the Japanese release (each difficulty was a step higher in the US so what in Japan was "hard" was "normal" in the US and so on). In fact, when Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening SPECIAL EDITION was released in the US, the difficulty was brought down to be easier like the Japanese release.
I skipped DMC2 entirely after reading the reviews of it being too easy. I like my games with a good difficulty level. DMC1 is the game that got me playing action/adventure type games again, which I'd abandoned since the 16-bit 2D era.

That said, DMC4 seems to have the balance right. To me it feels about as difficult as the first one.

DMC3 was too difficult by far. I ended up dropping it after trying to beat one of the bosses (2 bosses them at the same time that is). It was too difficult. I may go back and pick up the SE for the more reasonable difficulty.
Old 03-03-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Anyword when this is due for PC? I want to play through it gradually, but not for $60. (Seeing as how PC software tends to drop in price.. fast).
Old 03-03-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I skipped DMC2 entirely after reading the reviews of it being too easy. I like my games with a good difficulty level. DMC1 is the game that got me playing action/adventure type games again, which I'd abandoned since the 16-bit 2D era.

That said, DMC4 seems to have the balance right. To me it feels about as difficult as the first one.

DMC3 was too difficult by far. I ended up dropping it after trying to beat one of the bosses (2 bosses them at the same time that is). It was too difficult. I may go back and pick up the SE for the more reasonable difficulty.
I had traded in my copy of DMC3 after I beat it in order to get MGS3. I got the boxset and was disappointed that it included the SE of DMC3 because it was too easy and Virgil being playable seemed hastily tacked on. When the first two cinema's opened in my playthrough as Virgil, I though I'd get to play the story through Virgil's POV (basically getting to do everything that happened behind the scenes in the game proper) but was disappointed that all you do is play the same exact levels you play as Dante but with Virgil. Nothing was different. And the two new Jester boss battles left me underwhelmed.

As for the bosses of which you speak, GreenMonkey,
Spoiler:
the ones with no heads and that each wield a sword, just whittle down their life bars evenly, dodging their respective attacks and using your devil trigger whenever you have enough stocked up for a decent number of attacks, but don't kill either until both are a hit or two from death. If you kill one, the other becomes darn near impossible to beat, regardless of who you beat first. However, when one is in his death throws, the other is "stunned" long enough for you to deal a few blows and finish him off too.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-03-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So did it take a shit ton of time to load on everybody else's PS3 as well? Well, those of you guys who picked it up on ps3.
Old 03-03-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
So did it take a shit ton of time to load on everybody else's PS3 as well? Well, those of you guys who picked it up on ps3.
Are you talking about install time? It loads quite a bit of data, though you "make up for it" by having smaller loading times in the game itself...
Old 03-03-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Are you talking about install time? It loads quite a bit of data, though you "make up for it" by having smaller loading times in the game itself...
Yeah I just did a search and found out... I dont know, kinda sucks that it takes almost 30 mins before you can play the game though. Oh well, its done now.
Old 03-03-08, 08:32 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
Looking forward to trying out this game someday, but it will be a while, since I don't buy games new anymore. I'm glad to see good reviews though, really had me worried they would screw up again...

I read that when the review was posted, left me wondering if he had played the games at all, or somehow got confused...DMC 2 still holds the award for "Greatest Gaming Disappointment Of All Time".
I actually played all three DMC games from start to finish. I just had a memory lapse when I was typing up the review. Thinking back on it I somehow played them out of order which probably didn't help my brain pan...

Last edited by Dragon Fly; 03-03-08 at 08:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.