Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GTA4 / Grand Theft Auto IV (2008): News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GTA4 / Grand Theft Auto IV (2008): News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It's not about how many people will be playing MP on the whole. I'm sure there will be plenty of people to play. It's a matter of friends owning 360s over PS3s. If you want to play with friends you get the version all your friends will be getting. That's why people still sway towards the 360 for multiplayer.
Old 04-26-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's not about how many people will be playing MP on the whole. I'm sure there will be plenty of people to play. It's a matter of friends owning 360s over PS3s. If you want to play with friends you get the version all your friends will be getting. That's why people still sway towards the 360 for multiplayer.
Right. This is a big draw for the people I know along with getting those achievements. If I owned a 360 I would probably get this version for that combined with the future DLC.

I'm just happy they didn't mess up the PS3 version. That is all I ask for lately.
Old 04-26-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
If you want to pay for additional content then yeah, the 360 version is the way to go.

If you'd prefer better FPS, faster load times and an overall better visual experience then you go with the PS3.

So, I don't know how you would consider it a "no brainer". You can't go wrong with either version, imo.
the framerate has it's up and downs on both systems, and the colors are better on the 360...so it's a wash. Achievements, better online, and DLC make it the 'no brainer'
Old 04-26-08, 10:01 PM

Oh great, this is quickly turning into a xbox 360 vs ps3 fanboy flame fest. I don't have a ps3, but if I did I'd buy both the 360 version for multiplayer and dl content and the ps3 version for the faster load times and slightly better visuals. Some people are exagerating though, I doubt the 360 version is going to look like a Wii tittle.
Old 04-26-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
If I played online, I'd go with the PS3 version. But the DLC for the 360 has made up my mind. Granted, if something went wrong with my 360, I'd buy the PS3 version, knock on wood.
Old 04-26-08, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Oh great, this is quickly turning into a xbox 360 vs ps3 fanboy flame fest. I don't have a ps3, but if I did I'd buy both the 360 version for multiplayer and dl content and the ps3 version for the faster load times and slightly better visuals. Some people are exagerating though, I doubt the 360 version is going to look like a Wii title.
Who said the 360 version was going to look like a Wii title? I think you can't go wrong with either version you pick up -- 360 or PS3 but there are some people here that feel the 360 is the "no brainer" pick. I just don't see how that is when they're both the same game with the same Multi-Player.

Anyways, I'm probably going to end up getting both since I have friends who only have a 360 and will want to do MP with them and then play the PS3 version for the single player game.
Old 04-26-08, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
the framerate has it's up and downs on both systems, and the colors are better on the 360...so it's a wash. Achievements, better online, and DLC make it the 'no brainer'
A 'no brainer' if you don't own a PS3.
Old 04-26-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own both a 360 and PS3. Everything that comes out for both consoles I buy for the 360 because of multiplayer and achievements. If both games are nearly equal then the DLC makes it a no-brainer. If the PS3 had the extra DLC then I would it be a decision I'd have to ponder.
Old 04-26-08, 11:25 PM

A 'no brainer' if you don't own a PS3.
I own both, and have played both...trust me the game runs prefect on my 360...and I've logged close to 16 hours on it so far. I have yet to see any framerate problems. The Ps3 version ran just as well, but the initial install and load time is equal to the slight 4 second loads every 15 min on the 360. Either way, anyone who buys the game will be happy, but the 360 is EASILY the better of the two if given the choice, that's all I'm saying.
Old 04-26-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GTAIV threads over at NeoGAF quickly became 360 vs. PS3 threads, so much so that they created a thread to keep all of that stuff in one spot so as to not clog the main GTAIV threads.

Just sayin'.

I can't wait for Tuesday! I work right next door to a GameStop, so I'll pick my game up that morning then be in agony until 6pm when I get off.
Old 04-26-08, 11:58 PM

Too bad they don't come up with a system/server where you can multiplayer with PS3 and Xbox360 together... Now THAT would be something to talk about!
Old 04-27-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How much space does the optional hard drive install use on the PS3 version? I'm asking because I have the 20GB model and I don't have a lot of space left.
Old 04-27-08, 12:05 AM

I think it's around 400-500MB but not 100% sure on that.
Old 04-27-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it's around 400-500MB but not 100% sure on that.
Oh, geez. I thought it was more like several gigabytes. No problem.

I hope in the next generation they have comprehensive installations to the hard drive. Of course, they'd still have to require you to insert the disc, but I don't see why they can't allow you to copy about 70-90% of the data needed to the drive if you'd like to do that. I think the ratio of HDD storage space to game data will be much larger next time, so it should be feasible.
Old 04-27-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L
The GTAIV threads over at NeoGAF quickly became 360 vs. PS3 threads, so much so that they created a thread to keep all of that stuff in one spot so as to not clog the main GTAIV threads.

Just sayin'.

I can't wait for Tuesday! I work right next door to a GameStop, so I'll pick my game up that morning then be in agony until 6pm when I get off.
Something tells me you're gonna be coming down with a seriously bad case of the runs.
Old 04-27-08, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you all seen how GTAIV handles the hookers this time around?

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O51l7S7Sx3g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O51l7S7Sx3g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wow, get ready to see that over and over again on the news.

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Something tells me you're gonna be coming down with a seriously bad case of the runs.
*cough cough*

I do think I'm coming down with something ya know...
Old 04-27-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow! I did not expect to see that in this game. That's awesome. The biggest video game in America lets players choose between getting a tug, blowjob, or full on sex. When it's on the news it will be censored too even though nothing is shown.
Old 04-27-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's great.
Old 04-27-08, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Have you all seen how GTAIV handles the hookers this time around?

That's hilarious. I liked the spectators rooting him during the first scene. And the last scene had me rolling.
Old 04-27-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone wrote on the last page that there is only a single game load when to start to play, and that there are no other loads and the game is seamless.

That is incorrect. While the startup load is about 20 secs or so, there is also load time before and after missions. This seems to take anywhere between 2 seconds and 10 seconds. And these loads are frequent enough to annoy a little.
I found using a 100hz (pal) TV really makes the framerate seem better without too much tearing.
I also found the character face models to be rather cartoonish and stiff. They don't seem to have much facial expressions around the eyes.
Overall the game seems rather soft without too much definition. i would expect more from a game upscaled from 720p. But that might be cause i'm running it through VGA (X360) to a 1080p set.
Can someone pls report if the game is crisp on their 360 Elite or PS3 via hdmi? I'd like to know if it's just the cable on my end.
Gears of War is far superior in the looks department, but that isn't an open environment, so they can be forgiven.
I have to say, I love the vehicle damage. It looks real and effects the handling as you would expect. Not that I'm a racing sim fan, but it's nice to require a bit more talent to perform a power slide in this game.
Despite the shortcomings I still belive the game is a major achievement.
Old 04-27-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kotaku has said they are releasing their review of the game at 12 noon (which apparently when the "embargo" or whatever it is on non-exclusive reviews ends). They also said they will be posting a PS3 vs 360 pros and cons article today, so that may help sort some of this out.
Old 04-27-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
So I got a call from gamestop last night about my copy, but was in a crowded restaurant and couldn't hear them. Probably said my copy was going to be ready at midnight, but I have no clue.
Old 04-27-08, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Oh, geez. I thought it was more like several gigabytes. No problem.

I hope in the next generation they have comprehensive installations to the hard drive. Of course, they'd still have to require you to insert the disc, but I don't see why they can't allow you to copy about 70-90% of the data needed to the drive if you'd like to do that. I think the ratio of HDD storage space to game data will be much larger next time, so it should be feasible.
No, It is 3.4 GB of disk space.
Old 04-27-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whole slew of perfect scored reviews!

Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ IGN UK

No surprises here, IGN UK's review gives Grand Theft Auto IV a full set of 10s:

Expectations were so high for Grand Theft Auto IV that one of the biggest surprises is that it’s managed to meet them. That it’s also gone on to confound these is truly a marvel, and the game’s Liberty City is nothing less than one of the greatest videogame worlds yet conceived. With this game, Rockstar has set out to free itself from the excesses of the series past to emphasise the character of its world, and in doing so has created a high watermark in the relationship between narrative and play. It’s no less than the definitive open world game, and by that measure the definitive interactive experience of this generation to date.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ TeamXbox

Gameplay: 9.9; Graphics: 9.8; Audio, Longevity, Innovation: 10; Overall: 10.

Having laid out all these amazing things that Rockstar has achieved in moving their game miles ahead of anything any one has ever attempted to do in a video game, I’ve barely scratched the surface of what gamers will experience playing through. I haven’t even covered going on dates, watching TV, your friend Brucie, getting on the internet, the great gps system or the four player co-operative missions. There are so many little things, so many great details, so many unexpected random events, that I could write a book and it would just be an incredibly long list of observations. Instead, go play the game for yourself. When you see how Rockstar brought everything together in a perfect storm of video game design, you’ll think about the score we gave it and you’ll have a hard time disagreeing. I promise.
Me thinks they like GTA IV.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ GameSpy

The GameSpy chaps gave both versions five-out-of-five:

To be totally honest, it would be very easy to write another 2000-odd words on this game, as we haven't even delved into the hours of television you can watch, the amazingly detailed virtual Internet, the strip clubs that you can visit, the ultra-realistic vehicle physics, and so on. Suffice it to say that Grand Theft Auto IV is a game that could keep anyone busy for a long, long time. Although its got plenty of excellent features, it's ultimately the storytelling that makes it an instant classic, a game unlike any we've played before. As is the case with many great books and movies, you'll want to know what happens to the characters after the game ends, and one can't help hoping that all of their American Dreams comes true.
Xbox 360 Cons:Occasional graphical glitches; combat can be troublesome in confined spaces; not for the easily offended.
Playstation 3 Cons: Occasional graphical glitches; combat can be troublesome in confined spaces; not for the easily offended; Sixaxis controls feel tacked on.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ EuroGamer

Penultimate paragraph complaints aren't enough to stop EuroGamer from giving GTAIV a "perfect" 10/10:

Like the PS2 games before this, though, some of this comes at a cost. We've all read by now about the PS3 install time (look out for a special Face-Off feature next week), but the frame-rate also takes punishment throughout, polluted by Rockstar's unashamed ambition, with noticeable pop-in in places. It never once stopped me enjoying myself, though. The only things that did that were the occasional stickiness of cover points when trying to manoeuvre quickly, the continued absence of mid-mission checkpoints (itself only irritating when a mission begins with a long drive, which is rare), and some clunkiness in ladder-climbing and vaulting objects. And perhaps Niko's arsenal, which is quite basic, even though it's versatile.

Otherwise, GTA IV is the 10/10 you were expecting. Almost everything you do in Liberty City would be good enough to drive its own game, and the best parts would be good enough to outrun the competition, but the reason it works so well is that Rockstar has made a game that requires no patience to play. This, as much as its usual coherency and the best script in the series, is what makes GTA IV the best openworld game yet, and why it will take something miraculous to rob it of game of the year status.
Grand Theft Auto IV Review @ 1UP

Ziff "we don't do scores" Davis awards GTAIV an A+++ via 1UP's review:

During our marathon multiplayer test session, the developers shared one of their favorite custom games (they call it "King Kong") in the make-your-own-rules Free Mode. Here, a few rocket-launcher-packing daredevils perch themselves on Rotterdam Tower (Liberty City's version of the Empire State Building) while the rest hop into choppers and try to blast them off the building. It's just one example of the limitless game types inventive players can whip up in Free Mode -- once they get over the initial, human-nature impulse to start blasting as soon as the game starts with all 16 players in a circle. But long before they resort to any DIY game design, players have plenty to keep them busy in the other modes. Even the expected deathmatch, Team DM, and race variants have that anything-can-happen GTA vibe. The objective-based Mafiya Work, Car Jack City, and Turf War modes demand teamwork and come across like an urban Battlefield 1942, with players in four-seat helicopters and cars adopting de-facto roles like navigator (continuously adjusting the GPS designator to follow objectives) or door gunner.
Old 04-27-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html?type=

Game Trailers video review