Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's getting Crackdown today?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who's getting Crackdown today?

Old 02-20-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I guess we can find out later. Who here has two controllers and crackdown to give it a whirl?
Old 02-20-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me, in like an hour and a half
Old 02-20-07, 04:06 PM

Just checked with two controllers.

Co-op is only enabled via Live or system link, sorry no split screen.
Old 02-20-07, 04:18 PM

Just got it from Circuit City (came with a free Halo faceplate).
Old 02-20-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the game a bit calmed down from the demo? The demo was a bit too hectic for my tastes. I couldn't explore any part of the city without getting shot at. I'd like to hop around and have a good time without worrying about that.
Old 02-20-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
How many halo faceplates did CC have? Is it a special one for this release, or the $15 one?

Might pick it up, though it seems like the Halo 3 demo won't be limited, and I can pick this up down the road if it goes on sale before the demo officially launches.
Old 02-20-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by amped
Just checked with two controllers.

Co-op is only enabled via Live or system link, sorry no split screen.
Thanks, I also noticed the specs on the back of the case are different than the ones listed above.

From the looks of the ad, the faceplate is the same one you can buy. And is currently on clearance at Target for about $10, IIRC.

I decided to use the $10 off at Best Buy instead.
Old 02-20-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Man, i know why they called this game crackdown, because it's about as addictive as crack. Picked it up today and started playing about 1:00 finally made myself stop 4 hours later. Absolutely love this game.
Old 02-20-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
nope. only on live.

I really hate this trend of getting away from split screen gaming. Playing with your friends online is fun when there is no other option, but it isn't the same as being in the same room as your friends having a good time.

Two player things like fight games where the entire screen is available to both
players I've always thought was a lot more fun playing against friends who were
there with you, but I've never been a fan of split screen. Too many times the
screen is cropped (thereby destroying what you're used to seeing in single
player mode. Look at Gears, the horizontal height is cut in half). Multi-player
vs on games like Halo I find virtually unplayable as everyone can see where
everyone else is. These are where the online shines.
Old 02-20-07, 06:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Fun stuff so far. I'm playing on Ruthless and holding off on killing all the bosses as of yet. I'm just roaming the city collecting Hidden & Agility Orbs. I'm up to two stars in Agility and Strength with driving not too far behind.

BTW, here is a great site for maps: http://www.msxbox-world.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=4
Old 02-20-07, 06:42 PM

Snagged the last copy at the local Best Buy. I didn't even open it hoping prices will skyrocket in the immediate future, I doubt that will be the case. Looks like a really fun game though.
Old 02-20-07, 07:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Two player things like fight games where the entire screen is available to both
players I've always thought was a lot more fun playing against friends who were
there with you, but I've never been a fan of split screen. Too many times the
screen is cropped (thereby destroying what you're used to seeing in single
player mode. Look at Gears, the horizontal height is cut in half). Multi-player
vs on games like Halo I find virtually unplayable as everyone can see where
everyone else is. These are where the online shines.
These are true, but are still outweighed by the social aspect of playing with your buddies in the same room IMO.

It was much more fun with the 3 of us sitting around playing gears and getting shit faced playing 2 at a time in split screen than it would have been doing online coop. I mean strapping on a headset and getting shitfaced by yourself on the couch playing your buddy online just isn't the same.

I disagree with screen watching being a con though, I always liked that as it lived up death matches and got rid of the need for everyone to no the boards to compete. Makes it a much more pick up and play party game type experience. But online is much better for the serious people who mainly play death matches and want to test their skill etc.
Old 02-21-07, 03:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Fun stuff so far. I'm playing on Ruthless and holding off on killing all the bosses as of yet. I'm just roaming the city collecting Hidden & Agility Orbs. I'm up to two stars in Agility and Strength with driving not too far behind.

BTW, here is a great site for maps: http://www.msxbox-world.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=4
Killing bosses is actually a good way to level up strength/firearms, because you have to kill so many goons to get through to the boss, then the boss will also give you a variety of level points when you defeat him/her. Right now I'm at 3 stars agility, strength, and firearms, and one star each for heavy weapons and driving.
Old 02-21-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Is the game a bit calmed down from the demo? The demo was a bit too hectic for my tastes.
I agree! Can anyone confirm if the actual game is just your character CONTINUOUSLY getting chased down and shot?
Old 02-21-07, 07:36 AM

no, but it seems like it

until you take out certain kingpins, they will control areas of the city. Once you take over certain supply points, or take out certain bosses, the area does get cleared out
Old 02-21-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. This game fucking rocks. I could see myself losing many hours without blinking like Viva Pinata. I easily put in about 3 hours last night playing co-op with a friend, which also rocks. Finally caved around 2 am, as I had to get up at 6 for work.

I'm already well on my way to my third agility star. There seems to be a huge difference when you get the second one. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop became incredibly fun once I reached this plateau.

Already nabbed about 80 orbs and maybe 25 hidden ones. The draw distance is simply a sight to behold. Just when you think you have gotten all the orbs in the area, you see one on a roof about 3 blocks away. The completist in me is going to love finding all these things.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I agree! Can anyone confirm if the actual game is just your character CONTINUOUSLY getting chased down and shot?
I didn't play the demo but the game is a lot like GTA in this regard. If you are good and not taking anyone out you can roam and be pretty much left alone, UNLESS you are near a gangs hideout.

If you take out pedestrians or ram into cop cars then the fuzz will be on you.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-21-07 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, I guess I may have to get this game.....almost all postive reviews, which is nice.
Old 02-21-07, 07:44 AM

yea, i basically neglected everything for agility orbs last night. I love having the other player say "How'd you get up on that?!"
Old 02-21-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
yea, i basically neglected everything for agility orbs last night. I love having the other player say "How'd you get up on that?!"
That was me last night since my co-op partner had already played and leveled up some and could jump higher than me.

And the orbs, man, I had more fun trying to find those than doing the actual missions. I think we only did one race* and killed two bosses.

*your partner can ride in the passenger seat and still get the driving skill from the races.
Old 02-21-07, 07:59 AM

oh wow, didnt know that

my partner started higher, but I quickly closed the gap, then leveled up before him, which kind of made him jealous at first.

We were starting at the same posistion, and seeing if we could make certain jumps in only so many moves, that were pre-determined before hand. Might sound lame, but its fun trying to jump from little ledge to little ledge, to green orb thingy
Old 02-21-07, 08:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Strength was the first 4* I got. My agility is at 3* and very close to leveling up. My driving and explosives are both 1*, and I think firearms is 2*

I've taken out the first gang and I'm ready to take on the boss of the Volk gang. After that, I think I'm going to just play around a bit before tackling the next gang. Use the time to get all my skills to 4* and work on other aspects of the game. As well as finding the rest of the green and hidden orbs. I think I have 310 green orbs out of 500 and 50-60 hidden orbs.
Old 02-21-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Anyone get to the top of the agency building? Not to sound like too much of a pussy, but I'm terrified of heights, and climbing that building really did start to work on my nerves. Actually had to pause a few time and wipe the sweat off my hands. Cant think of any other game that has had any kind of physical effect on me like that.
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm with you there. Deathly afraid of heights and a few times in this game a particular jump triggered that vertigo sensation.
Old 02-21-07, 09:08 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I did last night. It sure took a while as you have to look for paths to keep getting higher. When I jumped down for the other achievement, My stomach started getting queasy like when I ride a rollercoaster and go down the big hill.
Old 02-21-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by thematahara
I'm terrified of heights, and climbing that building really did start to work on my nerves. Actually had to pause a few time and wipe the sweat off my hands.
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Deathly afraid of heights and a few times in this game a particular jump triggered that vertigo sensation.
Originally Posted by Vryce
When I jumped down for the other achievement, My stomach started getting queasy like when I ride a rollercoaster and go down the big hill.

That's crazy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.