Reload this Page >

Twilight Princess- Wii or Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Twilight Princess- Wii or Gamecube?

Old 12-12-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
You're glad because apparently they aren't getting enough to fill all preorders in some cases.
I've got it preordered at Blockbuster...I doubt it'll be much of an issue there. Probably not too many that preordered it.
Old 12-12-06, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Just had a disappointing chat with the guy at EB Games about the Gamecube Zelda. I've been planning on picking it up tomorrow, but he told me that they're only getting 12 units and way more preorders so they won't even be able to fill their preorders, much less stock the shelves.
So just go to Wal-mart or any other store that doesn't do preorders. It shouldn't be that hard to get the game there.
Old 12-12-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
There isn't a free roaming camera, but it's not a problem. I'm someone who has a problem with a lot of 3d games where people say the camera is not a big deal, and I have no problem with this one. You simply press the Z button to recenter and you're good to go. Plus the camera is very good about following you properly.
Old 12-12-06, 09:45 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read on a site that the Gamecube version has free-moving camera control on the C-stick and that the Wii version does not have a way to freely look around. For those with the Wii version: is this true? This alone would cement my choice of the Gamecube version... if I can get my hands on one.
You can freely look around by pressing the c button and going in first person mode.

You can't control the camera freely while moving, but as Outlaw said it isn't an issue.

You can press Z to center the camera behind you, and it positions itself well most of the time as is, and Z-targeting makes it a non-issue in combat.

It's actually nice not having to screw with the camera.
Old 12-12-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just had a disappointing chat with the guy at EB Games about the Gamecube Zelda. I've been planning on picking it up tomorrow, but he told me that they're only getting 12 units and way more preorders so they won't even be able to fill their preorders, much less stock the shelves. He said pretty much every store is the same story. His explanation was "They're trying to make people get Wii's, which is weird since they're not in the stores either!"
Well, I would definately take EB Games employees opinions with a grain of salt. When i wanted Fable the Lost Chapters for Xbox, they told me that it had been cancelled because they were creating a new game for 360, and that they weren't going to be making any more games for the XBOX. I promptly drove 70 miles to a gamestop, where they had a copy waiting for me. They're all about selling the consoles.

As far as Gamecube vs. Wii, I love my wii controller, and right now, I can't imagine playing any other way. I had forgotten how uncomfortable the gamecube controller was until I went back and played a bit of the last Gamecube Zelda game.

If you have a gamecube and have to play this game, then I think it will be good on the gamecube, but i Loooooooove the Wii Controller.

r
Old 12-12-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Just had a disappointing chat with the guy at EB Games about the Gamecube Zelda. I've been planning on picking it up tomorrow, but he told me that they're only getting 12 units and way more preorders so they won't even be able to fill their preorders, much less stock the shelves. He said pretty much every store is the same story. His explanation was "They're trying to make people get Wii's, which is weird since they're not in the stores either!"
Amazon just emailed me about my 2 1/2 month old preorder telling me I wouldn't get the GC Zelda until mid-February.
Old 12-12-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoah! Well, I managed to snag one of the last 2 copies of the Gamecube Twilight Princess at Best Buy tonight.

Thanks to all the responders: I guess EB employees are known for misinformation, huh?

As to the camera issue- I think I misinterpreted what I read because Wii owners here have said they have the "first person" mode on the Wii, which is what I thought it didn't have. Turns out what it doesn't have is the ability to move the camera around during regular gameplay. Not that big of a deal.

In any case, I'm not usually an early-adopter of new consoles and will happily wait till the next Zelda is developed from the ground-up for the Wii before jumping in. I'll be reading this thread and commenting on the GC version for those who're interested. Time to go fire this thing up!
Old 12-12-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They had about 10 of them at Best Buy here but i didnt grab one since i just got my Gamecube(yeah i know im a lil behind the times ) and i have Wind Waker on my Christmas list.
Old 12-13-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Amazon just emailed me about my 2 1/2 month old preorder telling me I wouldn't get the GC Zelda until mid-February.
However, after writting an angry email back about the situation, Amazon has now upgraded my shipping to next day (from 2-day Prime) and pegged it to be delivered tomorrow.
Old 12-13-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Called Blockbuster, and they said they've heard nothing of any delay/shortage, and my copy will be there on Friday.
Old 12-14-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I picked up a copy on Tuesday night as a gift for my nephew. My local Wal-Mart had a bunch of copies of the GC version, although they were priced at $50.
Old 12-14-06, 10:32 AM

Has anyone seen this at Circuit City or Gamestop?
Old 12-14-06, 10:39 AM
Retired

They had about 7 copies of the GC version at the local target (Wheaton, MD) a bit ago when I swung by to grab some cold medicine and some other crap.
Old 12-14-06, 10:45 AM

They had about 7 copies of the GC version at the local target (Wheaton, MD) a bit ago when I swung by to grab some cold medicine and some other crap.
At $49.99, right?
Old 12-14-06, 10:48 AM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts
My local Wal*Mart had 6 of them ($49.99).
Old 12-14-06, 10:49 AM
Retired

Yes, $49.99 at Target.

Circuity City is the only place with a sell this week I believe--$37.99 there. But I imagine they are wiped out by now at that price.
Old 12-14-06, 12:11 PM

Yes, $49.99 at Target.

Circuity City is the only place with a sell this week I believe--$37.99 there. But I imagine they are wiped out by now at that price.
Do they give rainchecks on games?
Old 12-14-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Do they give rainchecks on games?
CC gave me a raincheck on Kameo for 360 when they had it on sale for $19.99. I've never received a raincheck before, so I don't know how official they're supposed to be, but the one I got was just a CC business card that the employee wrote on the back "Kameo 360, 1 x $19.99" They didn't give me any problems when I tried to redeem it either.
Old 12-14-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Has anyone seen this at Circuit City or Gamestop?
I bought a GC version late Wednesday at my CC. They had plenty out.
Old 12-14-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GameSpot GC review is up, looks like 480p, non widescreen, support is a reality.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/act...s&subj=6163226

Originally Posted by Gamespot.com
Even though Twilight Princess was released first on Nintendo's new console, the Wii, it was originally designed as a GameCube game. Now that both versions are available, it's easy to see how similar the two versions really are. Graphically, the GameCube version is roughly identical to the Wii release. The main difference comes from a lack of 16:9 widescreen support, resulting in many of the story sequences being letterboxed when viewed in 4:3. However, the game does have 480p support. If you're properly equipped with a GameCube component cable and a TV capable of handling the higher resolution, you'll get a slightly cleaner image. The combat controls are more conventional on the GameCube, since you won't be shaking the controller around to attack (though if you've already played the Wii version, expect to feel dumb when you start to shake your WaveBird and wonder why nothing's happening), but the Wii controls actually end up feeling more precise in a direct comparison. It's easier and faster to aim your arrows, boomerang, or other targeted items using the Wii Remote. It's easier to move the camera around with the Wii Remote, too. While the GameCube controller is more precise when it comes to swinging your sword, the easier aiming and spin attack make the Wii version's combat controls superior, even though they have a few issues of their own.
Old 12-14-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the Wiimote aiming for the slingshot, etc. I hate trying to aim weapons on analog. One of the reasons I don't like FPS games on dual-analog either.
Old 12-16-06, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well my Blockbuster was jacked and didnt get the damn game in. Bastards!

I was out on Wed and saw NOTHING at several game stores as well as BB and CC, I couldnt believe it
Old 12-16-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am really irked with the camera control on the GC version. If I press right on the C stick, I want the camera to swing to the right.
Old 12-16-06, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I am really irked with the camera control on the GC version. If I press right on the C stick, I want the camera to swing to the right.
How is the game as a whole on GC?
My Circuit City had 4, so I got one for $37.99. Great price for a release such as this. I wonder how they were able to do it at that on release.
Old 12-16-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
I've got it preordered at Blockbuster...I doubt it'll be much of an issue there. Probably not too many that preordered it.
That's what I get for being smug.

Blockbuster didn't get any in AT ALL!

I went to about eleven stores last night, none of whom had a single copy...until I went to TRU, and snatched the very last copy they had. Ensured my father-in-law would get the game he's been waiting on for two years. Went back to Blockbuster and canceled my preorder.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.